Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,464 members, 7,781,345 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:52 PM

U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening - Travel (101) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening (814551 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of The Documents Required For Visas / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America / Illegal Immigrant Disguised As A Car Seat Caught (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (229) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by pator(m): 3:24pm On Apr 18, 2016
Hello VO,

Quick question please. I am currently in US with my family on GC. I wanted to invite my mother-in-law to visit us. I will be sponsoring the travel. I have a very good job and income here and my wife too. Do you think it is a good idea to sponsor the visa considering the fact that we are not citizen yet? Or is it better for someone in Nigeria to sponsor her? What are the prons and cons? Thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by diamondsare4eva: 3:30pm On Apr 18, 2016
@pator, go ahead and invite her, you don't need to be a citizen to bring her. With your GC it's very possible
pator:
Hello VO,

Quick question please. I am currently in US with my family on GC. I wanted to invite my mother-in-law to visit us. I will be sponsoring the travel. I have a very good job and income here and my wife too. Do you think it is a good idea to sponsor the visa considering the fact that we are not citizen yet? Or is it better for someone in Nigeria to sponsor her? What are the prons and cons? Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by iapt: 7:54am On Apr 19, 2016
Please I need advice on my issue....i havent applied for a US visa before...and I have more than enough evidence to show I am tied to Nigeria...I have about 4 properties including my business registration but the only issue is traveling experience, my passport is a virgin passport but I have had it since 2013...I dont know my chances for a non immigrant visa as my interview is fast approaching...with the way people talk about this travel experience as if its an important requirement...please help!!!
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:46pm On Apr 19, 2016
pator:
Hello VO,

Hello Pator,

Your mother will need to qualify on her own merits, although it is possible for another person to pay for a trip. She will need to explain to the officer her purpose of travel and clearly detail her ties to Nigeria. It is sometimes harder for people to qualify for a tourist visa when they have family living in the U.S. as citizens or LPR.

Regards,
Nigeria Visa Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:48pm On Apr 19, 2016
Hello Nairaland,

Are you a strong student? Do you want to study in the USA? Do you wish you had your own academic advisor and Visa Officer to clear away all the confusion about the process for doing so? Here’s your chance! Rufai Oseni of Inspiration FM will be talking with EducationUSA and American Visa Officers the aim of demystifying the process for school and visa applications. We’ll also be joined by Nigerians in the U.S. who can tell you what it’s really like to study in the USA. Be part of the discussion on Tuesday, April 26th at 3pm by visiting the following link: http:///23E784Y.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by tmeeto: 1:50pm On Apr 19, 2016
hello VO,

A quick one; does one having a pending immigrant visa application reduce the chances of getting a student Visa?

thanks.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by pator(m): 3:20pm On Apr 19, 2016
Thank you NIV team

Is it possible to withdraw B1/B2 visa application after submission? There were some mistake I noticed on the application that might cause some issue during the interview. I will want to re-submit the application for my mother-in-law.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by epudomij: 9:17pm On Apr 19, 2016
Hello again pls,

My father's friend is inviting me to visit the US. He invited my father some yrs back and my father got the visa. Since then he's been doing drop box.

(I'm married and I've changed surname bt ofcos there is a section in the form that asks for names used in the past and another section for parent's details)

Now in the form, what do I state as the relationship btw me and this contact person in the US? Relative, friend, others?

Cn my father's friend be my friend? Hw do I explain further if I'm asked to explain myself at the interview? Do I then say he's actually a family friend that's why I picked friend? Or do I pick others in the form? And if asked to explain myself at the interview i'll say he's a close family friend nd a friend of my father for xyz number of yrs?

Pls advise.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:57pm On Apr 20, 2016
tmeeto:
hello VO,

A quick one; does one having a pending immigrant visa application reduce the chances of getting a student Visa?

thanks.

Hello tmeeto,

Having an open pending immigrant petition shows a desire to emigrate to the U.S. However, it is possible to rely your travel plans and your ties to Nigeria to the officer in such a way that it is clear that you will wait for the petition. The burden of proof is on the applicant to display strong ties.

Regards,
Nigeria NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 1:59pm On Apr 20, 2016
epudomij:
Hello again pls,

My father's friend is inviting me to visit the US. He invited my father some yrs back and my father got the visa. Since then he's been doing drop box.

(I'm married and I've changed surname bt ofcos there is a section in the form that asks for names used in the past and another section for parent's details)

Now in the form, what do I state as the relationship btw me and this contact person in the US? Relative, friend, others?

Cn my father's friend be my friend? Hw do I explain further if I'm asked to explain myself at the interview? Do I then say he's actually a family friend that's why I picked friend? Or do I pick others in the form? And if asked to explain myself at the interview i'll say he's a close family friend nd a friend of my father for xyz number of yrs?

Pls advise.

Hello epudomij,

The officers are assessing your ties to Nigeria and trying to make sense of your purpose of travel to the U.S. So you need to be clear about where you are going, what you plan to do and then show how your ties to Nigeria overcome the intent to immigrate.

Regards,
Nigeria NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:00pm On Apr 20, 2016
pator:
Thank you NIV team

Is it possible to withdraw B1/B2 visa application after submission? There were some mistake I noticed on the application that might cause some issue during the interview. I will want to re-submit the application for my mother-in-law.

Hello pator,

That is a systems question best answered by CGI Nigeria.

Regards,
Nigeria NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 2:03pm On Apr 20, 2016
Hello Nairaland,

Applying for a U.S. student visa is not difficult. Yet many seem apprehensive, overwhelmed, and – worst of all – uninformed. You wouldn’t get medical advice from a stranger on the street, would you? Then don’t get visa advice from a tout! Join American Visa Officers and EducationUSA on Tuesday, April 26th at 3pm to learn more about how to apply to U.S. schools and about the process for obtaining a U.S. student visa. Join us then at the following link: http:///23E784Y.

Regards,
Nigeria NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abbey3132: 4:49pm On Apr 20, 2016
Hello vo,
Is it possible to invite your baby mama/divorced wife to come visit you in the USA with your daughter that already have visa when you are still married to someone else here in USA
Thanks for good job you doing here
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Udiboy(f): 8:01pm On Apr 20, 2016
Hello VO,
So my sister had a B1/B2 appt today but she missed it. The taxi man conveying her to the embassy this AM was a thief and snatched her handbag away that had her file containing all she needed for the interview(passport, GTB receipt, appt confirmation,etc)
She's so confused and traumatized.shes scared of someone else using her identity(passport).The probability of getting her itms(passport)back is 30/100.
How does she contact the embassy to notify them and what's the right office to notify if needed.
Thank you.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:46am On Apr 21, 2016
abbey3132:
Hello vo,
Is it possible to invite your baby mama/divorced wife to come visit you in the USA with your daughter that already have visa when you are still married to someone else here in USA
Thanks for good job you doing here

Hello abbey3132,

It is possible, but she will have to be very clear with the officer about her ties to Nigeria and her purpose of travel.

Regards,
Nigeria NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:48am On Apr 21, 2016
Udiboy:
Hello VO,
So my sister had a B1/B2 appt today but she missed it. The taxi man conveying her to the embassy this AM was a thief and snatched her handbag away that had her file containing all she needed for the interview(passport, GTB receipt, appt confirmation,etc)
She's so confused and traumatized.shes scared of someone else using her identity(passport).The probability of getting her itms(passport)back is 30/100.
How does she contact the embassy to notify them and what's the right office to notify if needed.
Thank you.

Hello Udiboy,

Sorry to hear about the theft. You can email LagosNIV@state.gov or AbujaNIV@state.gov depending on where your appointment was scheduled. You can also work with CGI to rebook the appointment. You will also need to report the theft and make it clear in all subsequent applications that your old passport was stolen.

Regards,
Nigeria NIV Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by rehirere70: 10:09am On Apr 21, 2016
Good morning all
Please, I need your candid advice on this one. I am a green card holder and I want to file for my 3 kids to come to the US. I would like to know if my kid's mother would be granted visitor visa to accompany them to the US for a visit? By so doing, she can always come at any time whenever she want to see the kids. I am not married to my kid's mother.
What do you think I should do?
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:55pm On Apr 21, 2016
rehirere70:
Good morning all
Please, I need your candid advice on this one. I am a green card holder and I want to file for my 3 kids to come to the US. I would like to know if my kid's mother would be granted visitor visa to accompany them to the US for a visit? By so doing, she can always come at any time whenever she want to see the kids. I am not married to my kid's mother.
What do you think I should do?

Hello rehirere70,

She will have to overcome the presumption of immigrant intent by showing that her ties to Nigeria are strong - which can be harder if her children live there. She will need to show how other ties, like work and finances are still strong.

Regards,
Nigeria NIV Team

1 Like

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Udiboy(f): 3:25pm On Apr 21, 2016
abujaniv:

Hello Udiboy,

Sorry to hear about the theft. You can email LagosNIV@state.gov or AbujaNIV@state.gov depending on where your appointment was scheduled. You can also work with CGI to rebook the appointment. You will also need to report the theft and make it clear in all subsequent applications that your old passport was stolen.

Regards,
Nigeria NIV Team

Thank you.
Will sure let her know that.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by labasckey: 7:42pm On Apr 21, 2016
abujaniv:

Hello labasckey,

Be completely honest about your purpose of travel during your interview. If you are going to the United States in order to find work, please tell us. It would make the adjudication much faster.

Regards,
Abuja NIV Team
hello VO I went for my interview yesterday I was denied, she only ask me 3 question. 1 where am I going nd I told her Michigan 2, what do u do? I told her am into entertainment nd she said what did it means I told her what we do. 3, have you travel out before I said yes she ask to where I said republic of benin. She just hand over the green paper to me attach is d green note. When I got home I check d form that I fill nd see that d place where I was ask if I travel out b4 d awns was no. Pls can I stl re apply as d letter says that I can re apply pls advise

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 7:29am On Apr 22, 2016
labasckey:
hello VO I went for my interview yesterday I was denied, she only ask me 3 question. 1 where am I going nd I told her Michigan 2, what do u do? I told her am into entertainment nd she said what did it means I told her what we do. 3, have you travel out before I said yes she ask to where I said republic of benin. She just hand over the green paper to me attach is d green note. When I got home I check d form that I fill nd see that d place where I was ask if I travel out b4 d awns was no. Pls can I stl re apply as d letter says that I can re apply pls advise

Hello labasckey,

You are welcome to reapply. However, it is advised that you wait until your circumstances have changed some - meaning that your ties are stronger.

Regards,
Nigeria Visa Team
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by slightlyMad(f): 10:24am On Apr 22, 2016
Hello VO,

i noticed you usually advice that applicants should convince the interviewing officer that they have strong ties to home country

based on how the interview is usually conducted, this is hardly possible.
VOs ask questions and you are only allowed to answer, AFAIK, you really cannot take charge of the interview direction

for instance, in the case of the lady who talked about names on doctor's letter not matching name on passport.
this could create an issue that the VO may have decided right away, before the first question that "i'm denying you"
even though he may be asking other unrelated question, how will such applicant get the chance to clarify things

1. are applicants allowed to quickly clarify issues before the interview starts
2. interrupt questions being asked to clarify issues
3. or do so while VO is typing.

will this act of being forward worsen the applicant's chances because VOs may conclude applicant already know their application is sketchy
hence the need to quickly chip in.

also, what do you think about if an applicant is being sponsored by relatives which happens a lot, such applicant should not present a bank statement
because providing his/her inactive account statement makes no sense
presenting a parent's is not credible too
can you even get a visa if you are been sponsored for tourism in the first place.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by abujaniv: 12:15pm On Apr 22, 2016
slightlyMad:
Hello VO,

i noticed you usually advice that applicants should convince the interviewing officer that they have strong ties to home country

based on how the interview is usually conducted, this is hardly possible.
VOs ask questions and you are only allowed to answer, AFAIK, you really cannot take charge of the interview direction

for instance, in the case of the lady who talked about names on doctor's letter not matching name on passport.
this could create an issue that the VO may have decided right away, before the first question that "i'm denying you"
even though he may be asking other unrelated question, how will such applicant get the chance to clarify things

1. are applicants allowed to quickly clarify issues before the interview starts
2. interrupt questions being asked to clarify issues
3. or do so while VO is typing.

will this act of being forward worsen the applicant's chances because VOs may conclude applicant already know their application is sketchy
hence the need to quickly chip in.

also, what do you think about if an applicant is being sponsored by relatives which happens a lot, such applicant should not present a bank statement
because providing his/her inactive account statement makes no sense
presenting a parent's is not credible too
can you even get a visa if you are been sponsored for tourism in the first place.

Hello slightlyMad,

The first question usually asked is something along the lines of "tell me why you are traveling to the U.S." That is the applicant's first chance to tell the officer why they are traveling and to explain their plans. We do not typically look at documents such as bank statements, wedding invitation or general invitations. Many applicants give one-word answers and don't use the opportunity to explain where they are going and why they are planning that specific trip. Applicants can ask questions during the interview - not afterwards about why they were issued or refused - to help explain their ties and their intent.

Regards,
Nigeria NIV Team

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by pyx: 12:47pm On Apr 23, 2016
Hello VO, m a school proprietor with a B2 Visa, recently two of my school children parents request to know if I can go with their kids to observer Summer on sightseeing " on tour of Washington "
Sir, what can I do to assist them inform of excursion.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Limaz(f): 5:03pm On Apr 23, 2016
Good day, pls I need your candid advice. I was interviewed on Wednesday but denied visa. I was. Asked where I work; Govt agency supported by d world bank, job specification, nature of d projects we do, income which is over 300k per month, marital status ;single but with a child. Asked y I'm not travelling with him n I replied he's in school n will still be during my vacation. Travel history; been to 3 diff countries. No document was asked for apart from my newly renewed passport presented before d interview commenced. Yet I was denied. What could be d reason? Can't a single mum go alone on vacation n stay with family friends who r about 60yrs (a couple)? Do I postpone my leave, reapply to go with my son? How soon can I reapply? Not married yet so no circumstance has changed. Kindly advice. Tnx.
Re: U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening by Gracydee(f): 6:07pm On Apr 23, 2016
Hi VO,

Please I need you to clarify something....just got a J1- exchange visa and it was stated that ' subject to INA 212 (e), 2 year rule does not apply'. what does this mean?

Thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (229)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 13 / Travelling To Canada Part 6 / UK Skilled Worker Visa / Health And Care Worker Visa / Qualified Teacher Route

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.