Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! (1815 Views)

STUDENTS: Why You Failed Post-utme Examination / Are Science Students Really More Intelligent Than Art Students? / A Thread For Computer Science Students.(Nacossites) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! by Kslib(m): 12:40pm On Jun 30, 2014
This was a very very common thing i saw when growing up and still see it to this day.. Corn lovers like myself will agree .

Saw it of recent and out of curiousity i decided to take a pic..

Why does it always turn yellow? Is it some kind of fungal growth or what? Why not green or red?

##Just curious###

Re: Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! by ckushy(m): 3:16pm On Jul 15, 2014
Kslib:
This was a very very common thing i saw when growing up and still see it to this day.. Corn lovers like myself will agree .

Saw it of recent and out of curiousity i decided to take a pic..

Why does it always turn yellow? Is it some kind of fungal growth or what? Why not green or red?

##Just curious###
The yellow substance is called - mould, & It causes Aflatoxins( a toxic substance), It start growing on the maize, due to the moisture level in the maize. .
When maize is harvested early, the moisture content can be very high, as high as 37%. The maize has to be dried until it attains a moisture level of 12%, which is the recommended level for long-term storage.

Thats it.
Re: Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! by Kslib(m): 9:04am On Jul 18, 2014
ckushy: The yellow substance is called - mould, & It causes Aflatoxins( a toxic substance), It start growing on the maize, due to the moisture level in the maize. .
When maize is harvested early, the moisture content can be very high, as high as 37%. The maize has to be dried until it attains a moisture level of 12%, which is the recommended level for long-term storage.

Thats it.

Almost, if not all maize in that state are usually very dry.. So i see a link with the moisture level stuff you talked about..

Aflatoxins--- so its toxic sef? Hmmn!

But why yellow mould? Why not blue or say 'red'?

Thanks for the above info!!
Re: Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! by Karleb(m): 12:30pm On Jul 18, 2014
That's because basically all corn are yellowish in color, at least the ones I've seen.

The white corns we have are a result of alternation of generation of yellow corns and cross breeding of yellow corns with white corns, so in white corns the white allele is dominant while the yellow allele is recessive and otherwise in yellow corns.

Therefore, no matter the color of the corn the fundamental yellow allele is always present which actually accounts for the color of the fungi.

That's just my opinion tho'.
Re: Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! by LillyAnne(f): 5:42pm On Jul 18, 2014
I think this question should be directed to microbiologists not medical students.
Re: Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! by Kslib(m): 10:13am On Jul 19, 2014
Karleb: That's because basically all corn are yellowish in color, at least the ones I've seen.

The white corns we have are a result of alternation of generation of yellow corns and cross breeding of yellow corns with white corns, so in white corns the white allele is dominant while the yellow allele is recessive and otherwise in yellow corns.

Therefore, no matter the color of the corn the fundamental yellow allele is always present which actually accounts for the color of the fungi.

That's just my opinion tho'.

Sounds convincing!!

So yellow is like the adam of all corns, color wise..? Never knew this.. Thanks for the education..
Re: Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! by Kslib(m): 10:14am On Jul 19, 2014
LillyAnne: I think this question should be directed to microbiologists not medical students.
Thats why i made it optional.

But medical students do alot of biology right?
Re: Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! by LillyAnne(f): 6:21pm On Jul 19, 2014
Kslib:
Thats why i made it optional.

But medical students do alot of biology right?
More like alot of 'human' Biology if there's anything like that.
Re: Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! by Kslib(m): 7:52pm On Jul 19, 2014
LillyAnne: More like alot of 'human' Biology if there's anything like that.
Human biology? hmmn!! What is it about?

Are you a medicine student ?
Re: Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! by LillyAnne(f): 9:01pm On Jul 19, 2014
Kslib:
Human biology? hmmn!! What is it about?

Are you a medicine student ?
Lol. Okay. Biology is the study of living things. Humans are part of these living things.

So you can say that medical students are only interested in human biology.

Yea.
Re: Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! by Kslib(m): 10:33pm On Jul 19, 2014
LillyAnne: Lol. Okay. Biology is the study of living things. Humans are part of these living things.

So you can say that medical students are only interested in human biology.

Yea.
Nice logic and me knows that too!

Brought up the talk of med students offering biology too cos plants are also part of life and they(med studs) might have come across something in thier first year or so that kinda relates to this---------- before going deep and facing solely human life as they progressed!!

Anyway, i also believe the question best suits micro-biologists like you said though!! smiley
Re: Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! by 007Bruce: 5:52pm On Jul 20, 2014
why is the mould yellow? --- 'cause yellow is the colour of mould!! Like black is the colour of coal!
Re: Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! by Kslib(m): 6:49pm On Jul 20, 2014
007Bruce: why is the mould yellow? --- 'cause yellow is the colour of mould!! Like black is the colour of coal!

The initial confusion was why same color on different corn types.. Someone pointed out that using origin.

So Yellow is the default color of all moulds? if yes, that settles it then!! smiley

Someone should confirm this..
Re: Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! by 007Bruce: 7:34pm On Jul 20, 2014
Kslib:

The initial confusion was why same color on different corn types.. Someone pointed out that using origin.

So Yellow is the default color of all moulds? if yes, that settles it then!! smiley

Someone should confirm this..
ok, do this; keep a piece of bread for two weeks. . . And see fo yo self.
Re: Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! by Kslib(m): 7:55pm On Jul 20, 2014
007Bruce: ok, do this; keep a piece of bread for two weeks. . . And see fo yo self.

see pics below!

Note: i ve personally seen green mould on bread sometime..

Re: Medical -- Biochem-- Science Students: Why Does This Always Happen? Picture! by 007Bruce: 9:38pm On Jul 20, 2014
yh! A mould could be green,black,brown and bluegrin

(1) (Reply)

Unilag Postgraduate Entrance Exam Past Questions And Answers,tutorial And Guide / Nigeria Custom Short Service And Recruitment Form Is Out For More Details Contac / The State Of Chs Boys Hostel In NDU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.