Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,363 members, 7,808,265 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:34 AM

Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. (45142 Views)

See What Our Future Leaders Are Doing(pics) / If You Were The One Marking This Waec Paper Would You Do? / Man Marking WAEC May/june 2015 In A BRT Bus: Right Or Wrong? (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by samoks(m): 12:01pm On Jul 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

Dude, get a life since you can't comprehend the point OP made.

I weep for your 'like'.

OP, didn't write that he's an english teacher. He never cricticised their english but he was only complaining about the poor performance in Economics. It's a pity you're daft to figure it out. lipsrsealed

It's better to keep shut when intelligent mind are discussing than to be displaying your astute stupidity.

Guess I am done with you. embarassed

My dear friend, at least I believe you are 18+, and so I expected that you at least show some sense of maturity with your response. You don't have to insult me or anyone else here. Just make your point and educate others.

Even the Op has made the necessary corrections as I stated earlier. It shows he is matured and ready to take corrections from anyone no matter how big or small the person is. No one knows it all. We are all learning.

But point of correction, yes I know the Op marked economics or was talking about Economics, but I'd love you to answer my next question without you insulting me....

In what language was the Economics paper written?

If you must correct someone openly, then you should be humble enough to also take correction(s) from others openly.

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Odunharry(m): 12:02pm On Jul 01, 2014
3coins:
i am sorry too bro
and this..
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by OdenigboAroli(m): 12:02pm On Jul 01, 2014
SirAweezy:

Honestly your height of Stupidity is so un-comprehensible.. When we are trying to condemn tribalism, educate our people on religious differences and try to move forward as one nation, by upholding a strong unity amongst us...

You are here spewing trash! I doubt if people like you move forward... it will be so impossible to because of your deluded mentality.

Please don't ever come out and give advice on how Nigeria will grow.. It's obvious you are not growing! Rubbish!!!

And who told you I care about the unity of Nigeria. You must be a learner.

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by leofab(f): 12:08pm On Jul 01, 2014
FrancisTony:

It can be crammed. Btw, grammatical flaws ain't penalised in Economics.
stop justifying your stupidity; is this thread an 'economics' thread?
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Odunharry(m): 12:13pm On Jul 01, 2014
blakky97: I served in Ogun state. When I was posted to a school, I felt I had to do a little brush-up on my O'level. I attended UPSS in Benin city ( those who know the school will know what I'm talking about) so I had the impression that teaching senior secondary school students will be a challenge to any corp member. So I held fast to my most comfortable zone- maths and fmaths. No physics! No chemistry!
Mehn! When I started teaching! Omg! The best students in the class (ss2 and 3) would not pass the jss2 promotioƈ
n exams in upss. Ss2 students could not solve addition of fractions!
But my pride is in the fact that by the time I was leaving, I had transformed the lives of 60 percent of my students. I started from arithmetic till we got to a stage where 50-60 percent of the students could solve quadratic equations by cmpleting the square method, draw inequality graphs, they answered questions I lifted from engineering maths on logarithms.
Each time I came to class- I was filled with the joy of seeing my students- my projects! I organized free lectures for them, motivated them with gifts.
When I was going, the school gave me a micro wave oven. But that means nothing to me compared to the 2 ghana must go bags that was filled with wrapped glass cups, spoons, and plates the students gave me. Even their maths teacher became jealous. The students still call me on phone till today. Even their cult students bowed their heads to greet me whenever they saw me passing. NYSC made the most fulfilling year in my entire life. That was when I realised another source of happiness. That is to make a positive change in peoples lives- it worths more than gold and silver. If I ever get a chance, I'll do it again!
i like this

3 Likes

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by emiye(m): 12:15pm On Jul 01, 2014
It is high time, Government focused on the primary and secondary school education, and divert great funds spent on tertiary education on the primary and secondary education. Tuition fees in tertiary institutions be increased to meet up the required funding.

I have no doubt that the critical point of influence is the primary education followed by the secondary education. Once the nation gets it right there, the result will be obvious in the quality of the citizenry.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by ekea2001: 12:19pm On Jul 01, 2014
As a FUTO PhD candidate I went to sell a software solution 2 students and got to paste my fliers on their official boards only to see results of students of Computer and Mathematics depts released.I was shocked,not a single person above 4points.It was as if their best students had 2'2 CGPA's.most were ranging b/w 2 and 3pts.I wondered about their engineering colleagues.It takes a good foundation my people.Today you hardly have them only on social media with their mentors but with social minnows and flatterers.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Orikinla(m): 12:22pm On Jul 01, 2014
Please, set questions for them on Facebook, Whizkid, Davido and others.
And many of them will find their way into the universities and polytechnics and later come on Nairaland to bastardize English grammar and make comments like retards.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by zicoraads: 12:24pm On Jul 01, 2014
Am really gutted I didn't see this thread when it started. I also supervised the marking of some English scripts and to say it was pathetic is understating it. A school in Warri, Delta state I think.

No one scored upto 20/100. That is how bad our educational sector has become. The OP is on point. Besides, marking Economics do not require an excellent command of English Language.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by pwettyolly(f): 12:40pm On Jul 01, 2014
Peppyluv: Achebe, Dora,PN okeke, soludo and co also did wuruwuru?
Coming from a northerner undecided
As one who have taught in the north and now a lecturer education lege of education,I can tell you with all sincerity that the north is a failure in terms of education but of course they will always pass because after marking and submitting your result as a lecturer,what you submitted is not what you see on the notice board. I guess its a ghost that changes it.
If students from other tribes are caught in malpractice,they face panel but the northerners don't especially women. Some write on their hijab,some on their baby's body! Yes!you heard that! On the baby's body,some use phone,goggle is their friend. Inspite of all these,they submit rubbish on your table. The school had to ban women from bringing in babies into the exam hall.

This waec malpractice goes on in every state but you people's hatred and envy for Igbos will only make you pick on one tribe.
Juwoonn you were one of those so pained since the day it appeared on nl that Anambra came 1st in Waec. That is the reason for this thread. Just like babymama asked,how sure are we that you are not lying and what made you qualified to mark waec?
My cousin served in maun,in ikpokia local govt area of ogun state. Infact, they(corp members) write for some of the students because even if you write on the black board,many of them still won't write correctly. They can't speak English but yoruba.
Jealousy and envy is all I smell on this thread. The Igbos will continue to excel and nothing will stop them.

You started your response well but failed to deliver your message towards the end I suppose has a lecturer that you are what you ought to be after is how the quality of education will improve not you encouraging tribalism I believe you are more learned than the others and you ought to use this platform to correct them

Let be the change we want to see in the world

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by MissIndependent(f): 12:42pm On Jul 01, 2014
juwoonn:
I forgot to mention that. Almost everybody in a center writes the same thing, in fact a candidate forgot the photocopy of one of the answers in his/her booklet (teacher involved malpractice) and another forgot a page of the keypoint in the booklet. The education sector is really deteriorating by the year.
Lol i also discovered same. In a centre, i noticed same hand writing for three different candidates scripts. It seems the subject teacher wrote it. Write dem no sabi ok copy expo dem no sabi. Na wah oo it is a pity.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by leofab(f): 12:43pm On Jul 01, 2014
zicoraads: Am really gutted I didn't see this thread when it started. I also supervised the marking of some English scripts and to say it was pathetic is understating it. A school in Warri, Delta state I think.

No one scored upto 20/100. That is how bad our educational sector has become. The OP is on point. Besides, marking Economics do not require an excellent command of English Language.
stop justifying the OP; didn't the OP passed his or her english languages too during his or her time or the OP was pardoned too. Those who comes to equity comes with clean hands.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by pwettyolly(f): 12:49pm On Jul 01, 2014
juwoonn:
This is a bloody lie...
Only graduates, masters holders and higher qualifications marks WAEC.

Dont be so sure what if the graduate that suppose to mark gives ut to his younger one to help out

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by kazman117: 12:50pm On Jul 01, 2014
juwoonn: As we conclude this year's June/July WAEC marking, I cry for the future of these students.
I marked 645 scripts in Economics for some Onitsha schools and only 2 candidates scored above 40/80 in paper2. One scored 45 and the other 48 while more than 80% scored below 20. Some 2/80, 1/80 despite my simple marking. Honestly like 3 candidates wrote only "PLEASE HELP ME" in their answer booklets.

One thing I noticed is that all the centers I marked are public school centers. What has gone wrong with our public schools?

A lot of professors in Nigeria today were products of public schools, our president and most Governors are products of public schools, but why have they taken their children abroad, to private schools and destroy the public schools for the less privileged.
dere's God o
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by lwise(m): 12:56pm On Jul 01, 2014
LET PUT 45% BLAME ON THE STUDENTS AND 55% BLAME ON THE TEACHERS

You cant believe the kind of teachers we have in todays public schools.My sister with 2.1 in an educational related course from a
reputable university couldnt get a teaching job in Lagos state after having an outstanding performance in the recruitment exercise.
She she was successful at the interview stage but her name was substituted when the list got to the ministry of education.We later
find out that majority of those offered employment letter never sat for the recruitment test.She was disturbed because someone she knew
with PASS was among those offered employment.

The quality of education will continue to reduce unless an effective change with respect to the qualities of teachers comes from the government.No wonder they protest against Oshiomole in Edo state because he want all of them to write a promotional exam.

SHAME ON THE OLODO TEACHERS

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by kazman117: 12:57pm On Jul 01, 2014
ferdimako:
Haha....how did you do it? You blame teachers that are not qualified... or the qualified ones that don't want to teach any more?
qualified teachers ar ready 2 teach bt govt nt ready 2 pay
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by beauty4(f): 1:06pm On Jul 01, 2014
the funny thing is once you pick a particular centre, all the students will answer the same questions and the same way, does it mean that there are no longer any decent school that doesn't copy answers on the board during waec, its very pathetic.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by ifysweetty(f): 1:20pm On Jul 01, 2014
Pls who examined the private schools,why is it only the public schools that were avialable.we were 21 Economics examiners in my center and had at least 100 schools around akwa ibom and not even a single private school.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by 3coins(m): 1:41pm On Jul 01, 2014
Odunharry:
and this..
cn i help you?
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jul 01, 2014
You are right but sometimes you have to reply or talk to people in the 'language' that they understand.
Especially certified fools who have centered their life on tribalism and always after rubbishing the image of others when his is not any better.

pwettyolly:
You started your response well but failed to deliver your message towards the end I suppose has a lecturer that you are what you ought to be after is how the quality of education will improve not you encouraging tribalism I believe you are more learned than the others and you ought to use this platform to correct them

Let be the change we want to see in the world

1 Like

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Odunharry(m): 2:02pm On Jul 01, 2014
Mad Cow:

What Tha Fhuck are you people on about?!

What ways are there to air grieviances?!

Who says this is even a grieviance? The dude simply posted an observation about what he witnessed.

How many students fail Junior WAEC?

Madam, make una drex go far. Poorly educated students are failing WAEC and you are talking about ways to air grieviance.
God bless u
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Odunharry(m): 2:04pm On Jul 01, 2014
3coins:
cn i help you?
i like ur maturity....
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by todayguest(m): 2:17pm On Jul 01, 2014
Not surprised. A couple of months ago, one senior NYSC official claimed, and was published in the media that, over 70% of Corpers do not know how to write a formal letter. Nevertheless, the introduction of privately owned schools system led, the public schools into this ugly situation. Before their emergence, the public schools were doing really well.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by infogenius(m): 2:18pm On Jul 01, 2014
ferdimako:
Parents that abandoned school...never worked hard to pass exams on their own? You are different. Kudos! I was there for my brother, taught him English and Maths..he did the other four himself..he never did May/June...Nov/Dec after SS2. Once he cleared his papers, parents and people started begging me and him to do the exams for their children.The same problem is in the university. Many students beg and pay to have their courses sorted out.

We need to overhaul our systems and improve on the common language of teaching.

Ok, accepted, maybe quite a number of so called parents were truants and possibly abandoned school
but that does not take away the fact that the greater time these children spend is at home
and in some cases especially weekends they spend with us.
If a parent is not visionary, then their children have a long long way to go.

I am not against overhauling the teaching systems or methods or whatever,
the teachers spends approximately 2hrs on the average with these children daily.

If the teacher is really concerned about these kids then he /she may as well help
develop them.But if she/he is not concerned, then forget it no matter the overhauling
nothing happens.

These teachers have their own families with challenges and problems staring
at them at their faces, how many will give these stubborn kids attention.

How many teachers pray for their students these days?

All these things na the parents go fit do am well.If dey no do am
society go dey rotten more and more.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by infogenius(m): 2:22pm On Jul 01, 2014
vainfairy:

U r still braggin, but u & ur parents do well!! For guidin & tutorin u properly, & 4u passin it down 2ur forthcumin generation!! Chop knuckle, abegi!! grin

I don chop knuckle oh!!
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by infogenius(m): 2:29pm On Jul 01, 2014
okpara ugo:

I didn't even see your reply before stating mine.

Parents are to blame.

B4 nko.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by aguiyid2nd(m): 2:40pm On Jul 01, 2014
oladapolif: why dem go pass now, when all they know is Garri shop and sell spare part? tell me?
hate, is a spiritual problem. Pray so that God will help you overcome it. You may have this feeling of retribution or satisfaction each time you exibit it, but believe me, love is the greatest thing. Wait until you heard from a Waec marker from your state, then you will be in a better position to tell if its synonimous with the Igbos alone, or a national tragedy.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by chukelvin(m): 2:55pm On Jul 01, 2014
[quote author=Danhumprey] "Being taught at home seem to be more better than being taught in a public school" please correct your statement
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jul 01, 2014
infogenius:

Ok, accepted, maybe quite a number of so called parents were truants and possibly abandoned school
but that does not take away the fact that the greater time these children spend is at home
and in some cases especially weekends they spend with us.
If a parent is not visionary, then their children have a long long way to go.

I am not against overhauling the teaching systems or methods or whatever,
the teachers spends approximately 2hrs on the average with these children daily.

If the teacher is really concerned about these kids then he /she may as well help
develop them.But if she/he is not concerned, then forget it no matter the overhauling
nothing happens.

These teachers have their own families with challenges and problems staring
at them at their faces, how many will give these stubborn kids attention.

How many teachers pray for their students these days?

All these things na the parents go fit do am well.If dey no do am
society go dey rotten more and more.

But who wants to teach? Even those with certs in education did so because of enrollment issues. The society is rotten already. U marry a wife with fake degree and u think she is there for the kids?
People who never did their exams on their own...just after yr1 ....aristo or cultism to graduation. U can't help ur child with an assignment... u don't have that knack...u don't know it. When a teacher can build a house and go on vacations...then that sector must have been lucrative. Here in Nigeria, we pay less for lesser tuition. How much is one semester in GH, US, CA and OZ? Govt is corrupt so as we...eg if Lagos govt hires good hands from other tribes to teach in Lagos...Yorubas will possibly be annoyed and would prefer fake teachers of Yoruba descent and funnily expect good results. It was hard to get my brother a slot in 2006 but he graduated among d best 3...where were d indigenes that populated d admission list?
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by Ukeachu1(m): 2:57pm On Jul 01, 2014
chai. no solution proffered. dem don turn am to tribe wars.
Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by IdomaLikita: 3:06pm On Jul 01, 2014
Naijazoom: i will appreciate it if you read your txt carefully before you post, nigerians are not what you think... that post was highly racial. some nigerian youths read till they go psycho! it aint all about only reading... the fact is what do they invent...? isnt that the primary purpose of education..? Bringing bout new theories and ideas that can make our nation better and powerful.

I deliberately chose these 3 Asian Countries NOT because of any Racial Bias but because of what I have seen!(I didn't say America) I know Nigerians are Hard workers(afterall, I am a Product of the Nigerian Educational System), however I am saying that the Drive we have down here doesn't match theirs in any form! We read here till we go Psycho, whereas a Chinese Child who fails their own Equivalent of JAMB(which guarantees him admission into a Uni of his choice) contemplates Suicide and infact these countries have the highest Adolescent Suicide Rates in the world! Its so bad that Psychotherapy Sessions are offered Students free!
The Competition amongst them is Stiffer than what we have here, and coupled with the Industrial Drive they've got over there and an Excellent Back-breaking Curriculum, it translates to what we see in these Countries Today!
In Nigeria, we always cut corners in our Educational System- If you don't get Medicine 1st choice in UI, you get d 2nd choice option of doing it in a State University! If ur JAMB cut off cannot fetch you that, you cough up money and do it in a Private University! If that too becomes Choked, you try Ukraine or Ghana!
Its not obtainable in the Countries I mentioned, 1 Man, 1 Try per year! Its either All or None! You must work hard!

I have a lot of Asian Friends and believe me when I say they are more serious-minded!
The Idea of this Thread is to expose lapses and improve our system! Afterall, these Guyz where once worse than we are!

Nice to meet you tho!
Have a Nice Day, Madam!

2 Likes

Re: Just Finished Marking WAEC. I Cry For Our Future. by acada111(f): 3:23pm On Jul 01, 2014
omartins: I'll also blame teacher that's why many are running away from test. I got to Lagos before I know that the syllabus is being change every 4 year. But I used my sister textbooks which she used in 1988 in 2000 for my WAEC. Thank God I pass after 2 sittings.
And I do believe that you'll also blame teachers for your terrible use of English, abi? undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

University Of Benin Students Shot This Afternoon / Which Is The Cheapest Federal University In Nigeria Currently? / Aisha Balarabe Bawa's Thesis Plagiarized By Amos Ngaruiya, A Kenyan Lecturer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.