Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,880 members, 7,806,534 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child (23989 Views)

How Many Language Do Nigeria Have And Can You Name Your Language? / Female Child Contesting For King In Her Mother's Side / Rude Nigeria Men: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Joshuadon: 10:13pm On Jun 30, 2014
It been observed that virtually all nigerian love and cherish to have male child to females ones,the reason for that am still searching cus children are precious gift from God...please share your own opinion here....
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by justi4jesu(f): 5:42am On Jul 03, 2014
Joshuadon: It been observed that virtually all nigerian love and cherish to have male child to females ones,the reason for that am still searching cus children are precious gift from God...please share your own opinion here....

Because a male child is believed to stay and carry on with the generation of the particular family,lineage or generation.

But a female child will marry and go to their husband's house.

25 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by DEngineer(m): 5:43am On Jul 03, 2014
They r very rugged and industrious. Ask d Indians

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by NewsINigeria(m): 5:43am On Jul 03, 2014
It is only in Africa

Maheeda Releases another set of Hot N*DE photos
>>> http://www./entertainment/maheeda-releases-another-set-hot-nde-photos/
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by hydeka: 5:44am On Jul 03, 2014
Ask our ancestors. But I think this preference for male children is what makes many females feel that they're inferior and hence all this attempt on the part of the females to prove men wrong. That is what brought this idea of 'what a man can do a woman can do better' But I personally think that both males and females are important, it's just that we have different graces for different things. Question: If a man's ancestors had only given birth to males how would he have been born?

13 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Sijo01(f): 5:47am On Jul 03, 2014
Naija men mentality.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Beehshorp(m): 5:47am On Jul 03, 2014
Hit Like if u think its too early to ask dis type of question

25 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by hensben(m): 5:49am On Jul 03, 2014
because our culture made it so and you know, we still have those generation around, they pass it to their children but thank God for civilization, that believe is on the decrease.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by reedbam: 5:50am On Jul 03, 2014
It's just an archaic african indoctrination embarassed it will fade with time or its even fading sef. Once again God please grant me female twin and i'll be forever grateful

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by mokaflex(m): 5:55am On Jul 03, 2014
Pikin na pikin. Anyone is fyn

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Diamonddamsel: 5:56am On Jul 03, 2014
They want a male child to carry the family name.Also they see it as a pride to have more sons.You see a man whose wife just had a boy reveal the sex with pride.Some who had girls just simply tell u their wife had a baby.Africans na wa.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by justi4jesu(f): 5:58am On Jul 03, 2014
All kids are amazing and a total blessing no matter what sex they are, providing they are brought up correctly...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by kobonaire(m): 6:00am On Jul 03, 2014
Hèll yeah, it's in our African DNA.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by zicjoe(m): 6:05am On Jul 03, 2014
justi4jesu:

Because a male child is believed to stay and carry on with the generation of the particular family,lineage or generation.

But a female child will marry and go to their husband house.
f**k family lineage jor

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by justi4jesu(f): 6:06am On Jul 03, 2014
zicjoe: f**k family lineage jor

No be wetin una dey find... embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Yoney007(f): 6:07am On Jul 03, 2014
This belief is outdated the last time I had convos with some new generation men grin
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by chiboy11(m): 6:07am On Jul 03, 2014
I had a neigbour den dat had 6 girls n 1 guy , dis man cry daily , infact diers a day he told me if slave trade waz stil in existence he wud ve sold of 5 of den n keep only 1 nd guy.

U cud understand d guy s d last child n d girls came b4 him as a result of lokin 4 male child.

I just won't blame him, if u see wat 80% of girls do dis days u wil even say as an unmaried man u won't marry a girl again not to talk of havin dem many, dats High Blood presure ooo

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by strangest(m): 6:08am On Jul 03, 2014
Female will be married off and she will answer another name... Man will stay and continue the generation...
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by 3Dimension: 6:12am On Jul 03, 2014
Another wrong idiosyncracy that has been imbibed into generations yet unborn.

Male or Female all children are wonderful..

I hope our generation will know and do better that our parents.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by justi4jesu(f): 6:13am On Jul 03, 2014
Yeah that's what they say now, but wait until they are old and need someone to look after them.

My grandma had 7 children total....4 boys and 3 girls (her husband passed away a long time ago).

Guess who's taking care of my grandma...the girls!

The boys just can't be bothered. They just want to throw money at the situation and hope that someone else gets done. undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by zicjoe(m): 6:14am On Jul 03, 2014
justi4jesu:

No be wetin una dey find... embarassed
dats a wacked mentality

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Danielotuya(m): 6:14am On Jul 03, 2014
Yes!
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Danielotuya(m): 6:15am On Jul 03, 2014
Of cos yes! The African society gives a difference status to a male child than a female. Bt westernizatn has help a little to cushion d effect of dis belief. Bt truth be said,na person wen see pikin dey select. Tell a barren couple for 15yrs if they wld take a boy or gal child,if they will nt tel u anyone as long it's a child

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by justi4jesu(f): 6:16am On Jul 03, 2014
zicjoe: dats a wacked mentality

Tell your fellow brothers that angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Nobody: 6:18am On Jul 03, 2014
Me sha I want a female first child

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by eph12(m): 6:19am On Jul 03, 2014
Most people don't really think that way anymore. Nowadays fathers are closer to their daughters than sons.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Nobody: 6:20am On Jul 03, 2014
Joshuadon: It been observed that virtually all nigerian love and cherish to have male child to females ones,the reason for that am still searching cus children are precious gift from God...please share your own opinion here....
the reason beats me too.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Fatdon(m): 6:21am On Jul 03, 2014
This desire for a male child has
resulted in husbands pressuring their
wives to have more children, in some
cases putting the health of the
women in danger. When this fails to produce the desired
results, men will resort to polygamy in
the hope that the other women will
give them the son they need. An average Nigerian does anything to
have a male child, who will carry on
the family name in this patriachal
society. Some female children also
retain their family name, even in
marriage, to preserve their father’s name.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by DesChyko: 6:24am On Jul 03, 2014
Easy.. Continuity of the family.. The males carry on the family names.
Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by Edusouls(m): 6:26am On Jul 03, 2014
GOD'S choosen species.males..

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigeria Men Prefer Male Child To Female Child by lemon10(m): 6:32am On Jul 03, 2014
Its easier to control male children at thier adolescence age than female children. Left to me, i would prefer to have boys in a higher number than girls. (ka Chineke mezie okwu)

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Iyalode Of Ibadanland, Aminat Abiodun, Is Dead / Does Any One Knows Why twins Were Killed In Igboland / Omabe Masquerade Festival In Enugu Ezike, A Nairalander's Village (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.