Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,382 members, 7,781,083 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:33 AM

Why Do Many Organizations Reject Applicants With 2:2? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Many Organizations Reject Applicants With 2:2? (655 Views)

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / HND Holders Have More Opportunities Than A B.sc 2.2. See Why.. / How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Many Organizations Reject Applicants With 2:2? by DeLC: 9:23am On Jul 01, 2014
At my last interview, I was asked, 'Why should you be given the job when you have a 2:2 and there are so many 2:1 applicants'?
How do I respond to this?

Sincerely,
A very worried Graduate

Follow on Twitter @DeLCTweets
Send your questions to delabourconsultants@gmail.com
http://delabourconsultants..com/2014/06/graduate-meets-recruiter-episode-6.html
Re: Why Do Many Organizations Reject Applicants With 2:2? by DeLC: 10:01am On Jul 01, 2014
This question was asked on twitter, facebook and linkedin.
Here are some of the answers from professionals across different fields.

Having second class lower is not a disadvantage only if you can explain to the interviewer that you have got other experiences, skills and competencies relevant to the post. The only drawback I think will be during the recruitment phase where a recruiter specifies the class of degree.

In all I think recruitment or selection should not be based on classes of degree rather it should be judged by what the candidate can bring to the organization. There are some people who juggled part-time jobs while schooling which may affect their academic performance but have more practical job experience, sound interpersonal skills, and organization skills than others. (LinkedIn User)
Re: Why Do Many Organizations Reject Applicants With 2:2? by DeLC: 10:02am On Jul 01, 2014
I believe our assignment should be to encourage graduates to develop themselves beyond their class of degree.
Of what use is a first class degree in Fishery when you are being interviewed for a job in the Banking Sector? Obviously, the recruiter is more interested in skills that go beyond the degree.

Have a wonderful day.
(LinkedIn User)
Re: Why Do Many Organizations Reject Applicants With 2:2? by DeLC: 10:04am On Jul 01, 2014
My views may differ slightly from those who have commented before me. But, I am from an older era, so pardon me. Second Class Lower division is not a disadvantage if the holder is going back for post-graduate degree; and if he/she acquires skills relevant for the industry he wants to operate in. However, for recruitment into many blue chip organizations (ask the ones that used to interview the candidates in U.I., Ife, UNN and other universities of their time), they were interested in candidates who made Second Class Upper because they considered that the effort, discipline and factors which made the candidate have the class of degree would be brought to bear in the work place.
And remember that people used to earn their degrees in those days - cheating in exams was unheard of. So you could say they will defend their degree before any judge at any place of work.
That's why First Class and Second Class Upper are still preferred till today by top companies in every sector. What younger people ought to do is put their minds to their studies while in the university if they don't like this type of discrimination based on class of degree.

(LinkedIn User)
Re: Why Do Many Organizations Reject Applicants With 2:2? by DeLC: 10:06am On Jul 01, 2014
Re: Why Do Many Organizations Reject Applicants With 2:2? by Nobody: 10:39am On Jul 02, 2014
Two words ...CROWD CONTROL

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

. / ICSL Is Hiring - "WEB DEVELOPER" / How To Be A Better Public Speaker Based On Your Personality Type

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.