Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,972 members, 7,799,304 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:40 PM

Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). (64866 Views)

Eheneden Erediauwa To Be Crowned Oba Of Benin / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Olori Sekinat-Elegushi Wife Of Oba Of Ikate Land [photos] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by justi4jesu(f): 5:13am On Jul 04, 2014
maxi-t:

NIGERIA is a dirty place. Lagos, Ibadan, Everywhere.
If you think i am lying, just land at Murtala Mohammed. The first thing you will see is mud and dirty smelly places.
That's supposed to be the entrance into the country.
In your house, where is the neatest place? is it not your sitting room, which is the first contact point for visitors ?

9ja in general dirty menhhhh.,
@Dubai is the cheapest place to go, so calm down with the "in dubai" speech. That was not by any means necessary.

Atleast you noticed the "in dubai" speech..mission accomplished...next time mind u biz n dnt quote me if u must comment.

Swerve to d left undecided
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:19am On Jul 04, 2014
Now reading "The Yoruba and Edo-speaking People and their Neighbours before 1600 AD" by Prof. Ade M. Obayemi in History of West Africa, vol 1 edited by professors J. F. Ade-Ajayi and Michael Crowder. Obayemi appears not to be comfortable with oral source because it is susceptible to being distorted. He relies more on "the findings of archaelogical and linguistic research, and with inferences drawn from the results of ethnographic maqing of present-day cultures and socio-political organizations."
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by penmate101(m): 11:00pm On Jul 04, 2014
I’m new on NL, and tough very green, I’ve been reading lots of threads expecially relating to culture and history. Ere are my two cents on this. Though I’m Yoruba, I bear no tribal sentiments or ethnocentric tendencies against any one…. Except Caucasians, be them human or dogs… Sue me.

Ile-Ife according to Yoruba belief is the earthly origin and fountain of all; it is also the earthly end to which all must return to be told what to do next. Mysteries and legends abound. Infact, German explorer Leo Frobenius concluded that Ile-ife was the lost Atlantis rediscovered, and that Yoruba were descendants of that lost civilization. In reality, “history cannot help because Yoruba is a pre historic race. Ife traditional history maintains that from Ife scattered the various species of mankind. An idea that finds expression in the name Oyibo the term early Yoruba refered to the white man by, meaning Ooyi-bo i.e. the breeze/weather/climate has scorched this man white. (Personally, I believe the story of Yakub, the black scientist). Did you know white men turn black when they die?

Research on early Yoruba history tells that the personage Oduduwa migrated to Ile-Ife where where he reigned and held sway, established the Yoruba dynasty, and Oduduwa could not have been his original name. As tradition has it, he had several children who in due time became the progenitors of the various clans, when taken together are the Yoruba people. Oral traditions tell us that early ife history is divided chronologically into three. The first was Ife Oodaiye, Ile Owuro (the land of the most ancient days where the dawn was first experienced. Tradition tells us that this Ife ended as a result of a flod. The survivors formed the nucleus of the second Ife, Ife Ooyelagbo(Ife, the city of survivors) this existed until the arrival of elements from the east whose attempt to seize power led to a bloody struggle between the strangers led by Oduduwa and the aboriginies led by Obatala. Oduduwa conquered and founded Ile-Ife (Ife of peace). Oral tradition of Ile Ife tells us that many communities existed in the second Ife. Each having its own Oba and each Oba had his Chiefs. Archaeological field survey shows that 13 of these communities have been revealed. Oduduwas victory le to the centralization of these communities and became the first Ooni(ruler). The word Ooni was never used until the first centralised government in Ile Ife. Oduduwa’s was believed to live before the deluge, and decended with his kith and kin from their lifeboats, which anchored, on Oke-Ora (Oramfe Hills) (EAST of Ife) by means of chain ropes.

Tradition tells us that Oduduwa had many children, male and female. Oduduwa’s first child was a daughter, and mother of Olowu, Asunkungbade the founder of Owu Kingdom. Towards the end of Oduduwa’s reign, He became blind and lost four of his powerful sons. On the demise of Ooni Odua, his eldest living son Obalufon Ogbogbodiri succeeded him as Ooni. Before his death, Ooni Odua, reformed the government he crowned all his children and sent them abroad with orders to show filial obedience to their brother who he first crowned his successor as Ooni. At his death, it was common knowledge that next to Obalufon Godo or Onibini was next, and Oranmiyan was next. Oduduwa crowned his children thus:
1. Ogiso, alias Godo or Onibini – Oba Ado (Benin)
2. Orangun – Onila or Oba Ila (Igbomina)
3. Alake – founder of Egba Kingdom
4. Alaketu founder of Ake and Ketu
5. Obarada who was driven to found the Kingdom of Dahomey
6. Oni Nana who founded his kingdom in the old Gold Coast (Ghana)
7. Owore – founded Otun Kingdom (destroyed by the Fulani)
8. Oranyan (later the progenitor proper of Yorubas), Oloyo or Oloyooro who founded the Oyo Kingdom
9. Awujale (Olugborogan or Ogboroganda) founder if Ijebu Kingdom
10. Deji Ajaponda – founder of Akure Kingdom
11. Olowu son of Odudwa’s daughter – founder of Owu Kingdom
12. Owa Obokun – founder of the Ijesha Kingdom.

The list goes on to 26 of the crowns Oduduwa handed to his children.

According to tradition, Oonile of Ife is the Father of all Obas in Yoruba land. In 1937, when the Conference of Yoruba Chiefs was inaugurated in Oyo where Obas of Yourba land including the Oba of Benin, the Ooni was declared and appointed the Primus interpares. Until the late thirties, Yoruba Obas refered to themselves as brothers, though their kingdoms waged war against each other. The kiriji wars ended with the insistent declaration of the Owa Obokun that the Aalafin of Oyo was his brother, not subordinate. In 1903 dispute between the Elepe and Akarigbo, they refused the authority of the Aalafin as matters paternaining to giving crowns, but both subjected themselves to the decision of the Ooni. In 1916, when Aguobasimi was installed as the Oba of Benin (after the death of his father in exile), messengers of the Ooni went after him with a series of requests and delivered the Ooni’s message as thus: ‘Your Father greets you’ (see Nigerian National Archives NNA: Oyo Prof I, File 133, 24th May 1916)

According to Ife tradition, Oranmiyan led an expedition to Benin and subdued the people. Reigned for 13 years and and returned to Ife, not understanding the language, but promised to give them a king from their own blood. He took a Benin wife, and the result of that union was Eweka I of Benin.

Up till today, the site is called Orun Oba Ado in Ile Ife where oranmiyan set out to found the Yoruba dynasty in Benin. And it is to this spot that the heads of the kings of Benin were brought for burial. The last time this tradition was kept was with the burial of King Adolo.

The picture up there is not this location though. It differs significantly from the original site.

3 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jul 04, 2014
^^^^Good one there 'Mi Penmate'
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by 215keji(m): 4:54am On Jul 05, 2014
the yoruba and the benin have so much in common, i wish we had a way besides stories and artifacts to store history back in the day so a lot of questions would be answered, either way sha, i was born in ile ife and i am proud of my culture till death, that pix looks like one of those places in enuwa side lol, odabo
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 1:09pm On Jul 05, 2014
penmate101: I’m new on NL, and tough very green, I’ve been reading lots of threads expecially relating to culture and history. Ere are my two cents on this. Though I’m Yoruba, I bear no tribal sentiments or ethnocentric tendencies against any one…. Except Caucasians, be them human or dogs… Sue me.

Ile-Ife according to Yoruba belief is the earthly origin and fountain of all; it is also the earthly end to which all must return to be told what to do next. Mysteries and legends abound. Infact, German explorer Leo Frobenius concluded that Ile-ife was the lost Atlantis rediscovered, and that Yoruba were descendants of that lost civilization. In reality, “history cannot help because Yoruba is a pre historic race. Ife traditional history maintains that from Ife scattered the various species of mankind. An idea that finds expression in the name Oyibo the term early Yoruba refered to the white man by, meaning Ooyi-bo i.e. the breeze/weather/climate has scorched this man white. (Personally, I believe the story of Yakub, the black scientist). Did you know white men turn black when they die?

Research on early Yoruba history tells that the personage Oduduwa migrated to Ile-Ife where where he reigned and held sway, established the Yoruba dynasty, and Oduduwa could not have been his original name. As tradition has it, he had several children who in due time became the progenitors of the various clans, when taken together are the Yoruba people. Oral traditions tell us that early ife history is divided chronologically into three. The first was Ife Oodaiye, Ile Owuro (the land of the most ancient days where the dawn was first experienced. Tradition tells us that this Ife ended as a result of a flod. The survivors formed the nucleus of the second Ife, Ife Ooyelagbo(Ife, the city of survivors) this existed until the arrival of elements from the east whose attempt to seize power led to a bloody struggle between the strangers led by Oduduwa and the aboriginies led by Obatala. Oduduwa conquered and founded Ile-Ife (Ife of peace). Oral tradition of Ile Ife tells us that many communities existed in the second Ife. Each having its own Oba and each Oba had his Chiefs. Archaeological field survey shows that 13 of these communities have been revealed. Oduduwas victory le to the centralization of these communities and became the first Ooni(ruler). The word Ooni was never used until the first centralised government in Ile Ife. Oduduwa’s was believed to live before the deluge, and decended with his kith and kin from their lifeboats, which anchored, on Oke-Ora (Oramfe Hills) (EAST of Ife) by means of chain ropes.

Tradition tells us that Oduduwa had many children, male and female. Oduduwa’s first child was a daughter, and mother of Olowu, Asunkungbade the founder of Owu Kingdom. Towards the end of Oduduwa’s reign, He became blind and lost four of his powerful sons. On the demise of Ooni Odua, his eldest living son Obalufon Ogbogbodiri succeeded him as Ooni. Before his death, Ooni Odua, reformed the government he crowned all his children and sent them abroad with orders to show filial obedience to their brother who he first crowned his successor as Ooni. At his death, it was common knowledge that next to Obalufon Godo or Onibini was next, and Oranmiyan was next. Oduduwa crowned his children thus:
1. Ogiso, alias Godo or Onibini – Oba Ado (Benin)
2. Orangun – Onila or Oba Ila (Igbomina)
3. Alake – founder of Egba Kingdom
4. Alaketu founder of Ake and Ketu
5. Obarada who was driven to found the Kingdom of Dahomey
6. Oni Nana who founded his kingdom in the old Gold Coast (Ghana)
7. Owore – founded Otun Kingdom (destroyed by the Fulani)
8. Oranyan (later the progenitor proper of Yorubas), Oloyo or Oloyooro who founded the Oyo Kingdom
9. Awujale (Olugborogan or Ogboroganda) founder if Ijebu Kingdom
10. Deji Ajaponda – founder of Akure Kingdom
11. Olowu son of Odudwa’s daughter – founder of Owu Kingdom
12. Owa Obokun – founder of the Ijesha Kingdom.

The list goes on to 26 of the crowns Oduduwa handed to his children.

According to tradition, Oonile of Ife is the Father of all Obas in Yoruba land. In 1937, when the Conference of Yoruba Chiefs was inaugurated in Oyo where Obas of Yourba land including the Oba of Benin, the Ooni was declared and appointed the Primus interpares. Until the late thirties, Yoruba Obas refered to themselves as brothers, though their kingdoms waged war against each other. The kiriji wars ended with the insistent declaration of the Owa Obokun that the Aalafin of Oyo was his brother, not subordinate. In 1903 dispute between the Elepe and Akarigbo, they refused the authority of the Aalafin as matters paternaining to giving crowns, but both subjected themselves to the decision of the Ooni. In 1916, when Aguobasimi was installed as the Oba of Benin (after the death of his father in exile), messengers of the Ooni went after him with a series of requests and delivered the Ooni’s message as thus: ‘Your Father greets you’ (see Nigerian National Archives NNA: Oyo Prof I, File 133, 24th May 1916)

According to Ife tradition, Oranmiyan led an expedition to Benin and subdued the people. Reigned for 13 years and and returned to Ife, not understanding the language, but promised to give them a king from their own blood. He took a Benin wife, and the result of that union was Eweka I of Benin.

Up till today, the site is called Orun Oba Ado in Ile Ife where oranmiyan set out to found the Yoruba dynasty in Benin. And it is to this spot that the heads of the kings of Benin were brought for burial. The last time this tradition was kept was with the burial of King Adolo.

The picture up there is not this location though. It differs significantly from the original site.

Nice one.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by penmate101(m): 4:13pm On Jul 05, 2014
Thank you. wink
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Ubenedictus(m): 1:37pm On Jul 07, 2014
macof: @ubenedictus
That's your business. When you have spent as much time and resources on acquiring the truth in history maybe you would begin to respect history

is my username now brownlord?
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:46pm On Jul 07, 2014
This arguement could be put to an end if the Oba of Benin and the Ooni of Ife could permit independent scientists to carry out DNA on the remains of their past monarchs.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Howmanage: 9:17pm On Jul 10, 2014
30,974 views shocked
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by lawani: 8:24pm On Jun 24, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:
This arguement could be put to an end if the Oba of Benin and the Ooni of Ife could permit independent scientists to carry out DNA on the remains of their past monarchs.

That is not fool proof because of the not unllikely incidence of biological bastards ascending the thrones.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by tpiadotcom: 3:32pm On Jun 25, 2015

I've got all the love and respect in the world for Benin folks, and the achievements of that great empire. Edo people are like my brothers. So, best believe I'm objective as possible. And this isn't about superiority. It's about giving credits where it's due, to protect our mutual history.

Anyway, I'm glad you accepted that certain aspects of Bini religions were borrowed from Yoruba's, unlike these other folks living in denial. And a lot of things in Yoruba culture/traditions/arts were also borrowed from the Bini's and other tribes.

As for the moat, I'll speak based on FACTS, not fiction. Why isn't the Bini in the guinness book of records like the Ijebu moat? And how come the Ijebu moat preceded it?

Size of the two moats again to see which was actually bigger:

Benin Moat:

Ijebu Sungbo Eredo Moat:

^^^Can you compare 11 miles(Bini), to the 100 miles(Ijebu)?

Edit: I had to change the first source. That was hyperbole by Benin folks.

Update?
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by tpiander: 12:01am On Jul 05, 2015
miqos02:
how does this improve our lives

It doesn't.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by sleekman(m): 11:50am On Jul 05, 2015
tpiadotcom:

Update?
11 miles? Are u kidding me? Benin moat is d biggest and longest man made moat in d world.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by sleekman(m): 11:56am On Jul 05, 2015
tpiadotcom:

Update?
11 miles? Are u kidding me? Benin moat is d biggest and longest man made moat in d world.

Perhaps u should Savour this. Google is ur friend.

The Walls of Benin City was the world's largest
man-made earth structure.[2] Fred Pearce wrote in
New Scientist:
"They extend for some 16,000 kilometres
in all, in a mosaic of more than 500
interconnected settlement boundaries.
They cover 6,500 square kilometres and
were all dug by the Edo people. In all, they
are four times longer than the Great Wall
of China, and consumed a hundred times
more material than the Great Pyramid of
Cheops. They took an estimated 150 million
hours of digging to construct, and are
perhaps the largest single archaeological
phenomenon on the planet.[3]
World Heritage Status
This site was added, along with Sungbo's Eredo, to
the UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List on
November 1, 1995 in the Cultural category.[4
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by enomakos(m): 11:20am On Jul 06, 2015
Did someone just said the benin moat is 11mile?hahaha
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 3:29am On Oct 17, 2015
An interesting picture posted by Dele Momodu on Instagram.

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by OrlandoOwoh(m): 6:26am On Oct 17, 2015
saxywale:
Please, what is it all about?
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 7:49am On Oct 17, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Please, what is it all about?
I have no idea about the custom described in the caption by d.momodu. I was thinking someone on nairaland night be able to explain the custom.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:48am On Oct 17, 2015
saxywale:

I have no idea about the custom described in the caption by d.momodu. I was thinking someone on nairaland night be able to explain the custom.
I read somewhere in one of the essays of Prof. I. O. Akinjogbin, where he said Oba of Benin is expected not to see Ife in his life time. It's his decapitated head that does. He went further to say that when oba that were descendants of Oduduwa met in Ife, the Oba of Benin remained in Modakeke. This was around the 1920's.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 9:16am On Oct 17, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

I read somewhere in one of the essays of Prof. I. O. Akinjogbin, where he said Oba of Benin is expected not to see Ife in his life time. It's his decapitated head that does. He went further to say that when oba that were descendants of Oduduwa met in Ife, the Oba of Benin remained in Modakeke. This was around the 1920's.
.wow, interesting stuff.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 11:04am On Oct 17, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

Yes I've come across this but I think since the decapitation of the head and sending to Ife is an old tradition, the Oba of Bini can choose to pay a visit to the land of ancestors
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 11:19am On Oct 17, 2015
macof:

Yes I've come across this but I think since the decapitation of the head and sending to Ife is an old tradition, the Oba of Bini can choose to pay a visit to the land of ancestors

I fear we are losing so many traditions fast.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 9:20am On Feb 15, 2016
saxywale:

You guys are contradicting yourselves.

Firstly, you claim The Oba of Benin cannot step into Ile-Ife and in this pix you guys are claiming he is visiting Ife to pay homage.

Ooni visiting Alake last month was to pay homage I guess?

If you really want to be educated on the history of Oduduwa read the Benin version.

2 Likes

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 9:22am On Feb 15, 2016
macof:

Lol. Always twisting to favour yourself.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by TonySpike: 9:42am On Feb 15, 2016
opal4real:

The Oba of Benin cannot step into Ile-Ife and in this pix he is visiting Ife to pay homage.

Ooni visiting Alake last month was to pay homage I guess.

If you really want to be educated on the history of Oduduwa read the Benin version.

where is the pic?
which year did this visit happen?
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 12:19am On Feb 18, 2016
opal4real:

Firstly, you claim The Oba of Benin cannot step into Ile-Ife and in this pix you guys are claiming he is visiting Ife to pay homage.

Ooni visiting Alake last month was to pay homage I guess?

learn about Oduduwa from Benin? when you folks know nothing about the man?
Ekaladerhan indeed cheesy
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by chukzyblingz(m): 11:01am On Feb 18, 2016
The head of Oba of Benin is buried on the throne. The heart is given to his successor during coronation rites.
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by Nobody: 12:18pm On Feb 18, 2016
macof:

learn about Oduduwa from Benin? when you folks know nothing about the man?
Ekaladerhan indeed cheesy

Which Oduduwa do you know? The one from d sky with a cock,calabash n sand I guess? Lmao!
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 10:47pm On Feb 18, 2016
opal4real:

Which Oduduwa do you know? The one from d sky with a cock,calabash n sand I guess? Lmao!

ode. there's two Oduduwa
one a myth describing the creation of earth...the one you're talking about in ur post
the second a king from one of the component communities of Ife...the one we should be talking about

Oduduwa got no origin from bini. .. tell us why he was nt buried in bini or why no reference was ever made to Bini. .. Or why Obaship in Yorubaland was not modeled after the Ogiso? at least the Obaship in bini is in many ways like that of Ife. .to show its Ife origin

1 Like

Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by bokohalal(m): 4:00am On Feb 19, 2016
macof:

ode. there's two Oduduwa
one a myth describing the creation of earth...the one you're talking about in ur post
the second a king from one of the component communities of Ife...the one we should be talking about

Oduduwa got no origin from bini. .. tell us why he was nt buried in bini or why no reference was ever made to Bini. .. Or why Obaship in Yorubaland was not modeled after the Ogiso? at least the Obaship in bini is in many ways like that of Ife. .to show its Ife origin

Does Macof know that his emotional tribal comments do not make sense?
Re: Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). by macof(m): 9:17am On Feb 19, 2016
bokohalal:

Does Macof know that his emotional tribal comments do not make sense?
If that doesn't make sense to you. then I question ur intelligence

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Showcasing Igbo culture / Throwback Photos Of Naomi Oluwaseyi, Ooni Of Ife's New Wife / Excited Masquerade Poses With Catholic Priest After Meeting Him On The Road.PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.