Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:26 AM

American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name (1534 Views)

Nigerian Name Used In Fast & Furious 7! Labeled Terrorist / Nollywood Actress Says She Is More Endowed Than Mercy Johnson / Indian Actress Vs American Actress Who Are The Best (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by cifutemi(f): 10:25pm On Jul 01, 2014
American born Nigerian Actress Uzo Aduba who gained popularity by starring in the hit tv series 'Orange is the new black', where she starred as 'Crazy eyes' said she will never succumb to pressure of changing her Nigerian name.

"my full name is Uzoamaka, which means “The road is good.” Quick lesson: My tribe is Igbo, and you name your kid something that tells your history and hopefully predicts your future. So anyway, in grade school, because my last name started with an A, I was the first in roll call, and nobody ever knew how to pronounce it. So I went home and asked my mother if I could be called Zoe. I remember she was cooking, and in her Nigerian accent she said, “Why?” I said, “Nobody can pronounce it.” Without missing a beat, she said, “If they can learn to say Tchaikovsky and Michelangelo and Dostoyevsky, they can learn to say Uzoamaka."

4 Likes

Re: American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by Dubby6(m): 10:29pm On Jul 01, 2014
Which kind smile b dat na...if u like answer Bush, stone or Amadioha...na ur own p
Re: American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by ifex370(m): 10:41pm On Jul 01, 2014
she shld ans ndubuisi
Re: American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jul 01, 2014
now this is a real Nigerian

smiley

2 Likes

Re: American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by farano(f): 11:08pm On Jul 01, 2014
she's pretty
Re: American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by KingTom(m): 11:08pm On Jul 01, 2014
@farano:
she's pretty
She no reach u na grin grin grin
Re: American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by ifex370(m): 11:09pm On Jul 01, 2014
@farano:
she's pretty

ok
Re: American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by farano(f): 11:27pm On Jul 01, 2014
King Tom:
She no reach u na grin grin grin
hmmm cool
Re: American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by KingTom(m): 11:31pm On Jul 01, 2014
@farano:
hmmm cool
For ur mind grin
Re: American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by yorex2011: 11:37pm On Jul 01, 2014
Na wa for smile o... shocked
Re: American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by Csami(m): 12:37am On Jul 02, 2014
Well she try sha but she no too try. Try in the sense that she accept her naija name but she no fine at all, except this pix dey play me.
Re: American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by Guykhena(m): 6:08am On Jul 02, 2014
One thing she doesn't know is that in Hollywood you use a marketable name which doesn't have difficulty in pronounciation(for those you might be working with).

Take TVD star Paul Wesley for example who is Polish,was born Paul Wasilewski, he had to change his name to Paul Wesley which is more relatable to the audience and not difficult to pronounce..
Re: American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by wintersnow(m): 7:08am On Jul 02, 2014
@op she starred as "crazy eyes" not "snake eyes"..
and besides I recommend that TV show for everyone.
its truly amazing..
Re: American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by yoji: 10:09pm On Jul 02, 2014
Guykhena: One thing she doesn't know is that in Hollywood you use a marketable name which doesn't have difficulty in pronounciation(for those you might be working with).

Take TVD star Paul Wesley for example who is Polish,was born Paul Wasilewski, he had to change his name to Paul Wesley which is more relatable to the audience and not difficult to pronounce..
If schwarzenneger could make it with that name, then she has a point.

1 Like

Re: American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by VillageBoi(m): 9:07am On Jul 03, 2014
yoji:
If schwarzenneger could make it with that name, then she has a point.
Exactly! And her name 'Uzo' is so easy to say anyway... if Hollywood or anyone can't even say 'Uzo' then they are the ones with a problem. Though I do get Guykhena's point... some East European names are off the chart grin
Re: American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by RayMcBlue(m): 9:41am On Jul 03, 2014
Guykhena: One thing she doesn't know is that in Hollywood you use a marketable name which doesn't have difficulty in pronounciation(for those you might be working with).

Ever heard of Maksim Chmerkovskiy? If you're a fan of DWTS, then you would know of whom I'm referring to. Born and raised in Ukraine, he came to America as a young man and made it into the big leagues of American Showbiz. And guess what? He never so much as changed or modified any letter or syllabus from his difficult-to-pronounce and even more difficult to spell Ukrainian names, but made it by sheer talent, determination and charisma.
Re: American Actress Says She Wont Change Nigerian Name by prof800(m): 11:06am On Jul 03, 2014
Cary Hiroyuki Tagawa...

..did I get that spelling? I had to force myself to learn it because I just liked the guy.
That's how it should be... let your talent and ability speak for you.

Goodluck to her (Uzoamaka) as she storms Hollywood!

(1) (Reply)

Download Funny Video: “AGAIN” Mark Angel Comedy (episode 79) / Free #500 Airtime For Each Nairalander To Vote 4 #EFE #bbnaija / 10 Famous Movie Scenes Before-And-After Special Effects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.