Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,728 members, 7,802,207 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? (8626 Views)

3d Animators Corner / To All 3d Animators. / Want to Join Team of 3D Animators? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by emmanuelatas(m): 1:51am On Jul 02, 2014
WHERE ARE THE CG ARTIST
It's really sad and this is sending a wrong notice about the future of CG ARTIST in Nigeria and as well as improving in this 3D field.
Years back it was all booming like world cup trend but how come there is almost total silence here in nairaland that we now rarely discuss 3D HERE.
It really funny that we 3d artist has now forgotten our first interest, passion, love for the field and how to possibly land respects and credits from abroad with steady improvement. I see no 3d future if this has to go on. It is high time we start believing in ourselves that YES we can make it through these tasking hurdles like WALT did.
A big thanks to velocity who has really shown improvement in his world for he has single handedly risen THE VOICE OF 3D BACK.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by emmanuelatas(m): 1:53am On Jul 02, 2014
Lets unite
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 4:44am On Jul 02, 2014
good one i have been expecting this for long
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by spywareczar(m): 7:10am On Jul 02, 2014
We sure have good 3D artists in nigeria, u just have to find em, I know a lot of em
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by emmanuelatas(m): 7:16am On Jul 02, 2014
I agree with the fact that we have tallented 3d artist in Nigeria but where have they gone? We have to know ourselves across this nation and perhaps even beyond Nigeria.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by emmanuelatas(m): 7:28am On Jul 02, 2014
We have to know ourselves; 3d artist are special breed of humans we have to understand that and they(we) are not found littered about in the society. Actually we are sent to transform the society. We should start dropping contacts so that we get a clearer means means of communication between our kind. Dropping the contact in case you happen to be anywhere in Nigeria you can contact a 3d artist for the transformation is our goal.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by spywareczar(m): 7:54am On Jul 02, 2014
Lol, post few of ur 3D's work let's see
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 12:02pm On Jul 02, 2014
If you're making your judgement based solely on activities on Nairaland, then the situation may seem worse than it is.
I agree we need a stronger and more united community of 3d artists. There are quite a few 3d artists scattered all around, but
having a community where artists can share their works and experiences,provide help and support to other artists e.t.c will help progress CG art in Nigeria.

We have that here already on Nairaland to an extent (although i would still prefer a site solely dedicated to cg artists smiley )
I think in Nairaland's case, we just need more contributors and less spectators, I myself I'm guilty of the latter smiley
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by prof800(m): 12:25pm On Jul 02, 2014
Where are they?
Spyware, where are you hiding them?

Where did they go? Somewhere better...far far in the green meadows. Where there is fresh cow's milk and pure bee's honey.

But believe me, they are always around.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by emmanuelatas(m): 9:48pm On Jul 02, 2014
Take a good look at the blender nation, the bond that exist between is due to strong communication. For the now there is no PROPERLY DEDICATED COMMUNITY to CG ARTIST in Nigeria but we can still put up a strong bond between ourselves, WE ALL HAVE PHONES, FACEBOOK, TWITTER ACCOUNTS, and the rest. Not all of us have the time to login to nairaland on a daily basics, I'm seriously guilty of that. I joined nairaland 2009 and have not even spent up to four hours here posting and sharing ideas, I believe you guys see my point.

@spyware No time to clap you into my reasoning but you have to be carefull because you just joined nairaland just last year.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Jul 02, 2014
i think having a whatsapp group can go a long way to help or even Bbm
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by spywareczar(m): 11:39pm On Jul 02, 2014
emmanuelatas:
@spyware No time to clap you into my reasoning but you have to be carefull because you just joined nairaland just last year.
WTF dude?, what's wrong with motivating us with few of your 3D projects?? Even is they are your personal project
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 3:14am On Jul 03, 2014
Facebook,twitter,whatsapp,BBM is fine and all but they are still exclusive.
Better to post on a public forum where anyone can participate, even if it's just as a guest.
I agree with spywareczar tho grin
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Royver(m): 12:42pm On Jul 03, 2014
I organised a contest for 3D animators a while back in a bid to scout for young talent to improve upon for an anonymous client. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

The ego in this place is so stifling that nothing can grow
Most of the amateur 3D artists here are just waiting to show off a mirrored work from a blender tutorial or Cinema 4d, I have only seen one person(in my opinion) who was serious with improving his work and I was hoping to get him into a program but unfortunately I lost the client.

You guys should clean up your act. People from all overthe world log into nairaland to scout for new young and yes sometimes cheap talent. But the more work you do the more you expose yourself to the world and one day Disney might even come knocking at your door.

Me I like to dream big in this area o, dunno about you guys.

P.S. u would like to start another competition if anyone is interested. No secret client this time, just between us. What do you guys think?
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by cgniyi(m): 2:12pm On Jul 03, 2014
@Royver
I remember the contest smiley - https://www.nairaland.com/1552349/3d-animation-contest-indeginous-3d

The problem is the skill level required to produce a short is very high, making it impossible for a lot of artists here to participate
not to mention the deadline.
Little surprise only one person was able to come up with anything at all.

If you are planning another animation contest you might still get the same lacklustre response.A 3d short might just be way beyond the skill level
of many here, myself included undecided
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by reidkrugger(m): 4:51pm On Jul 04, 2014
Nice Thread. 3D Artists are very special and creative people, rare to find and trade, daring to practice. it's no news why here in Nigeria, we struggle to perfect our works like our counterparts abroad. But in all, two of the problems is laziness and pride from the Artist. And from the government and society in general... well you know the rest. One good thing is, overall there is no excuse for failure because whatever it is we cry for, somebody else has achieved in one way or the other. Where are they? They are, like a friend said, "always around".
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by OKX(m): 6:50pm On Jul 04, 2014
Hi ppl,
its been a bit.

seeking 3d artists on a site that caters to several other interests (of which 3d art is a minor one at that) is bound to give misleading impressions.

visit dedicated art sites to experience real growth.
d serious artists do, that's why it seems like they don't exist here.

most of d time, posts here are for bragging rights or with the intent of wowing the newbies. Point out possible areas for improvement in the work (even if constructively) and u suddenly have an ego war on ur hands.
so why bother?

I see 'excellent' work shredded by fellow artists on other sites much to the contributing artists delight (cos it makes the artist better)
such sites would naturally experience more 3d traffic.

besides, the truly good artists are pretty busy. Time is a scarce commodity, so spending it where it won't yield appropriate dividend isn't very wise.

I don't mean to discourage participation here though, just attempting to answer the OPs question in my opinion.

for real growth, we need to silence the voice of ego and learn to listen. At least listen first, then decide on what to do with the information received.....utilise all/part of it, or trash all/part of it.

3d art encompasses various categories of which 3d animation is just a subset.
Sometimes we overlook that point, probably because of how we operate in this part of the world.
good texturing/rendering/effects is NOT good animation.
the true animator doesn't concern himself with those things, he simply focuses on animation.
most 3d artists are wrongly placed in the industry, hence the poor output.
We have artists who should be texturing now animating, and doing so poorly...or animators modeling and doing so poorly etc.

general knowledge is a plus, but it is specialization that produces outstanding work.

so until true synergy between artists is attained, and everyone discovers and stays in their areas of true strength, we will continue to be surrounded by artists and still not see/listen or even respect each other.

lol, long post.

4 Likes

Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Royver(m): 11:26pm On Jul 04, 2014
@okx i beg to differ on your opinion. Pls show me these websites that host our indeginous nigerian 3D artisits. I'm very interested in seeing if any such thing exists, I could be wrong.
Concerning the competition, I realise I may have raised the bar a little too high so let me start from the basics. I would like to organise a competition for 3D indeginous artisits but this time restrict the competition to just 3D artwork.
I would like a 3D artwork that portrays the uniqueness of our nigerian locality. It should be a model that cant be found or downloaded on the net. Examples to be used include:
nigerian fruits like cashew fruit,
pear(ube, the one eaten with roasted corn)
roasted corn itself,
our african snail,
a generator(i beta pass my neighbor),
a stick of suya,
a box of sugar,
a basin of garri,
a plate of akpu and an accompanying soup,
a plate of fried plantain,
any nigerian currency note,
a tuber, or tubers of yam, etc.

Interested 3D artisits can come up with thier own examples and we'll see if it meets the criteria. It must be something local.
Emphasis will be on modelling, texturing and lighting/scenery.

okx, reidkrugger, cgniyi, spywareczar, frankben4real, emmanuelatas, prof800, velociraptor, ladanski, shimish, tos87, jjk24, ignatio, etc, your comments on this please.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by OKX(m): 8:28am On Jul 05, 2014
My tots....
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by OKX(m): 8:28am On Jul 05, 2014
@roy
hi man.
the thing is, its here that we r tagging ourselves 'nigerian animators' and trying to form a forum based on that. Our art is global. We r animators first n Nigerians second....lol

if u have been around and stay in the circuit long enough, u will come across artists that u will eventually discover are Nigerian.

I met a couple of really good ones on youanimator.com. Its a site where u post ur clips for critique by ur peers. 11secondsclub has a few too, who have made entries. The thing is, with these guys, its all about the art not where u r from. Those artists' don't particularly advertise where they r from, I only discovered as we corresponded privately.

a few have private blogs or websites where they post their work and share thoughts.

3 Nigerians I know were involved in the making of Avatar in different capacities. Maybe as Nigerian clients evolve, the good artists may feel the need to focus their publicity on them. Until then, the field is open for the mediocres.

on ur competition, kudos on effort.

I pointed out then that there were issues that would limit participation and there were flaws in ur process....there still are.
unless its newbies u r targeting....n they lack the skill for quality output.

all the examples u posted are available downloads.
create a unique concept art, then let interested modelers attempt recreating it. If it looks challenging enough, serious artists may bite.

u r an unknown factor, so why would a busy professional take part in ur contest (for example...for d 1500 recharge card u offered last time)? Not likely.

maybe a beta strategy would be to establish who u r thru your work, gain respect based on know-how and contacts....then, when u talk, serious artists may listen and see possible advantages in participating in projects u propose.

alternatively, explore getting some respected artists/moderators on this forum (if any) to synergize energies and resources and organize a challenge with a worthy payoff (either cash or publicity) I lean more towards publicity.

I partake in challenges myself, and have indeed organized a few...but only when I have free time.

I applaud ur efforts tho.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by TyTymer(m): 9:09am On Jul 05, 2014
It appears the era of 3D artists on Nairaland is phasing out. Those amazing guys have probably returned/gone to deviant art, cg architect, cg society, polycount forum etc.

The criticism here played a considerable part in it. Some people who have little expertise would be very quick to ridicule the works of others. That should change. This should be a community.

Also, there are cases of conceited artists who cannot accept criticism. They would argue against almost any advice given to them. If you cannot stand criticism/correction, why then did you upload your work?

Lastly, there are some advanced users who are quite condescending in their remarks. It's probably due to their level of expertise but I feel that is not necessary. If you are a boss in CG, well, that's laudable. No be beans. It still doesn't mean you should make discouraging comments. The difference between you and that "learner" is information and practice.

Thanks to the relatively active Blender community on Nairaland for holding the fort. The C4D, max, maya, lightwave,etc artists (and the CG architects) in the house have been on vacation long enough.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by reidkrugger(m): 1:13pm On Jul 05, 2014
Well, alot has been said and i think with the last post, the crux of the matter has been nailed head on. But just to inspire and not to call names, I've had my own share of ups and downs here. Battling and churning out videos month after month and getting better at it everyday. And though We fight, I see it as a challenge to better myself because, that is the only way to pass the message of my mission across. Ego here plays a big part and will continue to play. And quite frankly, judging from what i've seen so far here, talking about ANIMATING, there are only a finger curl of people that can do that here manageably. And i dont blame them because animating no be beans and yes it takes a lot of practice and time , even if you are mentored.

Worthy of note because i've been watching people get it wrong all the time here. It's not bad to criticism is bad, but when you look at the people criticizing, most times you know this stuff a lot more than these guys and or some people are just very good at criticizing at best. But somehow, growing up in the game and getting comfortable with what you do, you just look at these comments and let them go. Well, Big ups to the Blender users for representing. The Max and Maya guys for All The Animations produced. And though we are still learning, some of us are just too far from others in terms of quality of Animation. It will pay to listen a lot when you dont know rather than discourage others trying to. And yeah, I've made some new Friends here, very unusual but it's working. cheesy. U should too. grin

1 Like

Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Royver(m): 5:24pm On Jul 05, 2014
u r an unknown factor, so why would a busy professional take part in ur contest (for example...for d 1500 recharge card u offered last time)? Not likely.

maybe a beta strategy would be to establish who u r thru your work, gain respect based on know-how and contacts....then, when u talk, serious artists may listen and see possible advantages in participating in projects u propose.

alternatively, explore getting some respected artists/moderators on this forum (if any) to synergize energies and resources and organize a challenge with a worthy payoff (either cash or publicity) I lean more towards publicity

@OKX , Lol, ok I give up. I silently followed this forum for a while before joining naira land, and honestly I didn't see anything of an encouragement coming from the "well known" animators. Who has time to start advertising himself, its not like I'm desperately looking for animators neither is it my major area of specialty. Its just my interest in the field that brought me here, I'm usually heavily engaged in other things.

As for the competition I was simply looking for a way to make this thread more interesting that's all. Whether I'm 'known' or not seriously shouldn't have anything to do with it. And the N1500 recharge card? No one stepped up to increase the prize, no one could spare a measly N1000 to add from the "well known" and maybe "wealthy" artists who felt the n1500 was beneath them.

Maybe you are right. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. I see a lot of talk here but very little action.

I sincerely hope I don't sound too harsh. Just annoyed a little I guess. Sorry folks. You guys should try and organise competitions among yourselves. Since you know yourselves better you should be able to upgrade it. I'll keep my typing fingers still and watch from the sidelines.
All the best.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by reidkrugger(m): 6:38pm On Jul 05, 2014
Royver:

@OKX , Lol, ok I give up. I silently followed this forum for a while before joining naira land, and honestly I didn't see anything of an encouragement coming from the "well known" animators. Who has time to start advertising himself, its not like I'm desperately looking for animators neither is it my major area of specialty. Its just my interest in the field that brought me here, I'm usually heavily engaged in other things.

As for the competition I was simply looking for a way to make this thread more interesting that's all. Whether I'm 'known' or not seriously shouldn't have anything to do with it. And the N1500 recharge card? No one stepped up to increase the prize, no one could spare a measly N1000 to add from the "well known" and maybe "wealthy" artists who felt the n1500 was beneath them.

Maybe you are right. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. I see a lot of talk here but very little action.

I sincerely hope I don't sound too harsh. Just annoyed a little I guess. Sorry folks. You guys should try and organise competitions among yourselves. Since you know yourselves better you should be able to upgrade it. I'll keep my typing fingers still and watch from the sidelines.
All the best.

Hahahaha. There We go again. At first we were getting some where and now this. You need not see it the way you are seeing it right now. I guess what He's trying to say is that " You been an unknown factor refers to how us 3D Artists would persive you". Surely you understand that line Royver. Well, i dont always agree with what everyone says but try telling the truth whenever i can. And i think You my friend Royver has misunderstood what Okx has said in this wise. I understand your kind gesture and i'm sure every other person does too. But in i think your first post you said it all when you mentioned "Creating everything from scratch" and not downloading anything. And that is how i recognize talent. Being an staying original.

There are Animations here in this section as we speak and We all could look into them and say hey u did good or hey u should have added this here or there. Instead We come in here feeling like Invincible Men, look at the post heading and move on. Those things would cost at least a week to prepare and an" Hey, nice job. keep it up", is not too much to do. And why is that It's EGO.

Well, i'll be going on a short trip, so i wont be available to comment on this or any other thread till like next week. See you guys.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by emmanuelatas(m): 6:49pm On Jul 05, 2014
@roy what do you mean by "watch from the sideline"
As roy said, coming up with a competition is really not a bad idea, we just have to see the potentials behind it, for me it's an avenue for we CG ARTIST to develope ourselves in this CG Field.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by OKX(m): 7:09pm On Jul 05, 2014
@Roy
wow! u really do sound cross.
none of what I posted was meant in a negative light. I personally respect the effort and passion u apparently have for the art.

I am merely pointing out the challenges as I perceive them, and a possible workaround.

face it, once you term anything a competition and u put up a prize, ppl are naturally going to weigh participation against the prize offered. That's why I prefer challenges, which are more geared towards self improvement not competition.

I would enter a challenge that offers me the possibility of gaining new knowledge/experience waaaaay before I would enter a contest against fellow artists for prize money. (unless the kitty is considerable and the organizers are a known, reliable brand)

don't misunderstand me, nor be discouraged and subsequently stay away please.
in ur thread last time, alongside my thoughts I believe I also indicated my interest and support, albeit a passive one.

also, there's nothing wrong in establishing credentials that make u worthy of respect. U must know that that's how artists operate.

the reason u need to establish respect, as I stated earlier is cos time is limited.
I wouldn't spend mine on a project that I don't find personally challenging or financially rewarding. I'd rather study or undertake personal learning challenges with the same time.

in my free time, however I could pop in, offer tips n support in any way I can.

we do need each other and all the goodwill we can muster, so don't let my singular opinion colour ur views. If u do want to organize another competition, lets do some behind the scenes homework and arrange a proper one.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by spywareczar(m): 9:17am On Jul 06, 2014
Lol, N1,500 recharge card for a 3D anim competition WTF!!, someone should organise a competition, any type, I'll pay N5,000 in the winner's bank account

1 Like

Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by OKX(m): 1:04pm On Jul 06, 2014
@spy
kool. I will match ur kind offer with 20k, so we r 25k up n counting.

more partners r welcome. If we hit 100k or more i believe that isn't so bad.

so, all of u that talk about change and progress.....its ACTION time.

lets raise worthy prize money.
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Shimish: 2:44pm On Jul 06, 2014
Hi everyone. Just to add a comment, I would like to say that 3d artists are still alive and kicking. I've met quite a number of them here on Nairaland. I'm also one, and ive been one for quite some time. Here are a few samples, since some have been asking. What do u think? I use blender3d they r from a film I'm currently working on

2 Likes

Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by prof800(m): 4:05pm On Jul 06, 2014
Shimish: Hi everyone. Just to add a comment, I would like to say that 3d artists are still alive and kicking. I've met quite a number of them here on Nairaland. I'm also one, and ive been one for quite some time. Here are a few samples, since some have been asking. What do u think? I use blender3d they r from a film I'm currently working on
Hey Shimish, how na?
Nice work you're doing in the blender threads on here.

What is your view on Royver's
suggestions.?
Btw, that third pics is 'deadly'! grin
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by Shimish: 8:56pm On Jul 06, 2014
prof800:
Hey Shimish, how na?
Nice work you're doing in the blender threads on here.

What is your view on Royver's
suggestions.?
Btw, that third pics is 'deadly'! grin
thanks pal. anyway, as regards to his suggestion, its not a bad idea. however, the thing is that most 3d artists I know r deeply engrossed in on project or another. either passion projects or jobs. as a result, its sometimes a bit difficult to make out time for some competitions. or maybe I'm just speaking for myself. I've been very busy with a passion project of mine, which has been suffering lately as a result of balancing it with work and freelance jobs.
anyway, thought I should just upload this short clip from a test render of a scene In my film. please tell me what u think.
[url][/url][url][/url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOTL2j7DnyE
Re: Where Are The 3d Animators, The Cg Artist Gone? by OKX(m): 9:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
@shimish
looking real promising.
a slight pop in the knees, and maybe tone down the hand movement on the handle bar a bit.....unless he's meant to b weaving across the street.

great job.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I Need A Font: Bliss Light! / Fujifilm X-T30. MIRRORLESS CAMERA. SOLD / Professional Graphics Designer always at your service.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.