Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,710 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:41 PM

Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? (24354 Views)

Traditional Rites To Follow In Acquiring A Bride In Mbaise. / Italian Couple Perform Igbo Traditional Wedding Rites / Restriction Of Movement In Ikorodu Tomorrow Due To Ritual Rites (eluku & Oro). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by tunechi28(m): 9:02am On Jul 02, 2014
Why would you mix tradition and religion? U guys claiming d pastor should be present on d day of d traditional marriage are spewing rubbish, in my own tradition if you are a traditionalist u stick 2 traditional marriage nd if u are a christain u do a white wedding which in my opinion is simply d best way 2 go about it. Last bullet:This should be a personal decision and should'nt be imposed by family or tradition, afterall the man is'nt marrying the family.

1 Like

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Flairritzy(m): 9:03am On Jul 02, 2014
Scyllapatron: senseless thread..
What makes it senseless? "AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH & THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE U FREE"

1 Like

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by mencade5(m): 9:04am On Jul 02, 2014
Anugod:
Ha ha ha. Understanding matters. My people do it to safeguard their daughter's interests. Since they are not 'bought', no man has any right to maltreat them or demean their worth by treating them as common commodities.
As for being available, I have many sisters, cousins, nieces, etc that are nice, lol.
abeg whichtribe and state r u from?

Wow...na im be say those ur isiters go make sense oooo.
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by danthamccoy(m): 9:06am On Jul 02, 2014
Why can't people take time to read a thread's op before commenting? Really, it doesn't kill you.

I find it funny there are actually females bad-mouthing her opinion on the practice of bride price. Later you are baffled when your husband objectifies you. And yes, you are his property.

Is it wrong for us to think progressively? It doesn't always mean we are looking to Western-ify our traditions but I think somethings are just archaic and should be left behind. It's common sense.

5 Likes

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by ITbomb(m): 9:09am On Jul 02, 2014
Alexk2:

i totall disagree with the fact that in most african culture, relatives who didnt know anything about how the lady grew up are the major beneficiary..i mean, the parents are only given a little fractn from the whole lot...
we should also ensure the burden are not too much on the guy since the bride isnt a commodity to be bought... in some culture (especially in the SS), bride price are mostly beyond par.
True, a girl recently told me that I need to sit up, that the bride price and everything in their community is about N2m and since the father is dead, it might be easy to negotiate as the heartless extended family would capitalise on the father's absence and impose unreasonable things.
I told her that my village people don't even like to marry from their side and that ended the story. Utter rubbish, make I suffer for another man wey no contribute anything to chop

2 Likes

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by beejaay: 9:15am On Jul 02, 2014
Anugod: In my place, we don't accept bride price.
The husband to be and his people will take a covered bowl of kolanuts to the elders (with money placed on top of the kolanuts). The elders will call the bride to be and ask her if they are permitted to eat the kolanuts, because if they do, the marriage is sealed as they cannot vomit the swallowed kolanuts.
However, they return the money because they do not wish to sell their daughter.

abeg i wan con marry for your town...shee u go marry me angry angry grin

1 Like

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Kirinwa: 9:18am On Jul 02, 2014
ITbomb: Rubbish, instead let's fine a way and stop white wedding, after the traditional wedding, the priest or Pastor should pray for the couple at the reception then they go and get registered at the court.

White wedding is never compulsory.You can opt for church blessing.You can even do white wedding and shelve reception if you can withstand pressure from your wife and public opinion.

2 Likes

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Titan5g: 9:21am On Jul 02, 2014
Even biblical wedding at Canaan in Galiliea was not white wedding , but the traditional one.
I don't even understand white wedding , and why it has eaten deep into the heads of the ladies. To me the most valuable and respectable is the traditional rites , where the elders and kinsmen will bear witness to the union.
Any other thing is null and void.
Yes the pastor or clergy can pray and dedicate the union to God.

5 Likes

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Silensa(m): 9:27am On Jul 02, 2014
the effect of neo-colonization, how can you advocate for the abolisment of a culture that plays a very significant role in African society only to embrace Oyinbo culture? Smh

1 Like

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by phiszo(m): 9:32am On Jul 02, 2014
What I am only against is exorbitant bride price and white wedding.
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by perragy(m): 9:32am On Jul 02, 2014
I WANT TO LIKE THIS YOUR QUOTE 1 MILLION TIMES.. WHITE WEDDING HAS CAUSED A LOT OF PROBLEMS. EVEN LORD JESUS ATTENDED A TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE IN CANAAN AND OF COURSE AS HE WAS HAPPY, HE INCREASED THE QTY OF BOOZE IN THE CELEBRATION.

saints_1: I quite understand your points, but I see no reason why we should abolish our way of lives, values and what makes us unique all in the name of modernalization, instead I think we should abolish the white wedding instead.
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Nobody: 9:35am On Jul 02, 2014
this thread starter is an online goat.

1 Like

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by LaRoyalHighness(f): 9:47am On Jul 02, 2014
This op has a point. ... However, our tradition is important but I detest the bride price and long list given to the man. I thank God for the man that I married... because that list the gave him can even make someone to run away. I bless God for him as he has already decreed that our son's in law won't be given any list.
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Nobody: 9:50am On Jul 02, 2014
Scyllapatron: senseless thread..
e be lyk say d op no wan pay moni

1 Like

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Nobody: 9:51am On Jul 02, 2014
phiszo: What I am only against is exorbitant bride price and white wedding.
the binis for example charge #25 as bride price. a friend of mine who married a yoruba girl from ibadan spent roughly 500k in buying stuff dat was just a list of items for his inlaw. dem dey sell their daughter. traditional marriage still surpassed any other weddings no matter what just pray u meet d right family/ wife to be for low key budget
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by phiszo(m): 9:53am On Jul 02, 2014
tom29reloaded:
the binis for example charge #25 as bride price. a friend of mine who married a yoruba girl from ibadan spent roughly 500k in buying stuff dat was just a list of items for his inlaw. dem dey sell their daughter. traditional marriage still surpassed any other weddings no matter what
Exactly, but that 500k is too much.

1 Like

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Calebosko(m): 9:56am On Jul 02, 2014
After their return from Brazil World
cup,Super Eagles players were so ashamed
of their great failure that they decided to
disguise themselves so as not to be
recognized
Mikel obi disguised himself as a
monk,while walking round the street of
Jos,suddenly an old lady walked up to him
and said"Hi Mikel".Mikel was amazed and
annoyed that the old woman could
recognise him,disappointe d,he went
home and dressed as a Mallam.
Again he bumped into the same old lady
and she said "How do you do Mikel?
Confused,Mikel asked "But how do you
recognise me Mama?.the old lady laughed
out loud and said"Are you stupid or what?
Its me Joseph Yobo"

3 Likes

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by wirinet(m): 9:58am On Jul 02, 2014
iam_ord: I must say africa is loosing its place as the time goes by.. You blame it on the attitude of the black people..u see one reason why we don't move forward is because we are afraid of change.. All races have passed through what we r going through.. Some modified and threw out the ones that r not needed so as to customize the tradition for this generation and beyond.. But we over here.. Just like it that way .. Africa has lost its place in time..this time a lot of family members see the bride price as a chance to amass wealth.. And can kill for that.. A lot of irregularities go unchecked..and now the irregularities have become Part of the present tradition.. This is because black leaders and majority of the people are not intelligent enough to understand that there has to be reforms in all sectors of culture and traditions. to make it conform with present day .we lack vision..and very soon.. All history will be wiped out cos we don't learn

You are so wrong in so many aspects that i do not know where to start. You are so ignorant that it is beyond belief. First Africa can never lose its place in time because africa till eternity will remain the food and rescource basket of the world. Obviously you are from a tribe that see's the girl child as an investment and sell their daughters to the highest bidder. We the Itsekiris do not sell our daughters, our bride price from time Immemorial is 7k (seven kobo). Once that bride price has been met, the bride is yours, however you are free to add any other thing you like to the 7K. So if you want are about to marry an Itsekiri, insist you are only obliged to pay 7K. The money is more symbolic than commerce.
The main problem with africa is exactly the opposite of what the OP is advocating. We have been so culturally, socially and religiously subsumed by our colonizers and conquerors that we have lost our identity. We now think, talk and act like our colonizers. We are even ready to change our physical appearance to resemble our colonizer. No people can develop on borrowed culture.

The Indians, Chinese and Japanese hold tenaciously to their culture and traditions despite suffering colonization also and have been able to develop.

Obviously you and the OP are suffering from a cronic case of colonial mentality.

2 Likes

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Atigba: 10:00am On Jul 02, 2014
i rather suggest we do away with white wedding...........

2 Likes

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by solelymade: 10:05am On Jul 02, 2014
what a ridiculous write up, u probably are watching too much spartacus where spartacus shows shows them the way. I discourage all forms of imperialism and no European will show me the way marriage should be done. Dem bastard homos

3 Likes

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Onyinyechi1008: 10:11am On Jul 02, 2014
tom29reloaded: this thread starter is an online goat.

you either give your own opinion or you buzz off.. This is a thread for matured minds not for kids.

2 Likes

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by babyud: 10:11am On Jul 02, 2014
Anugod: In my place, we don't accept bride price.
The husband to be and his people will take a covered bowl of kolanuts to the elders (with money placed on top of the kolanuts). The elders will call the bride to be and ask her if they are permitted to eat the kolanuts, because if they do, the marriage is sealed as they cannot vomit the swallowed kolanuts.
However, they return the money because they do not wish to sell their daughter.
Abeg where u come from?
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Alexk2(m): 10:14am On Jul 02, 2014

[b]Abiagirl;
[/B]
the thing dey vex me well well.
I did my trad since may but i can't stay wit him cos i hav to attend a 3
month marriage course in my husby's church b4 white wedding.
They hav done de 1st preg. Test and still told me i'll come back for
anoda one 1 wk b4 de wedding.
If not for God,hmm

i'm not even against all those checklists/doctrines from the church coz
we cant say we are christains and make mess of God's standards....my
point is that traditnal wedding shld take priority and the if any
pastors wont patake in a wedding because a standard was broken, that shld
be made known b4 d traditnal wedding day.
that is why i support make the pastor do there blessing part just after
the traditional wedding and not seperate date....; everything look like a
confused race with that borrowed white wedding culture.
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Valto(m): 10:20am On Jul 02, 2014
@ OP, Ana akogheri
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Ariyke: 10:20am On Jul 02, 2014
Tic4tac: This is complete Rubbish joor... Y sld we always adopt d white man's system.. I tire OOO
I tire o
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Nobody: 10:21am On Jul 02, 2014
zz

1 Like

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Alexk2(m): 10:33am On Jul 02, 2014

ITbomb
True, a girl recently told me that I need to sit up, that the bride
price and everything in their community is about N2m and since the
father is dead, it might be easy to negotiate as the heartless extended
family would capitalise on the father's absence and impose unreasonable
things.
I told her that my village people don't even like to marry from their
side and that ended the story. Utter rubbish, make I suffer for another
man wey no contribute anything to chop

that is one of the two abuses in traditional wedding which we must reject in our generatn....the other one is exorbitant BP..
BP shld be ceremonial and just a way to say thank you to the parents for grooming the bride well.
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by chucky234(m): 10:35am On Jul 02, 2014
shaggy007:

The smartest man on earth, do I look like someone that has the time to read a useless article? The topic says it all.

If you went to a good school, you should know that when the topic of an article starts which a question, it means you are free to answer, whether you read the article or not.

Smelly confused Aboki.
Only clod like you would referred to the said article as a useless thread, our major problem in Africa is tribal difference and thats what the writer want us to reform in order for us to be united as a people.
The writer is also not in support of the total eradication of the traditional marriage but urging us to do away with unnecessary exubetant bride price which indirectly sold women into domestic slavery.
Finally only a discombobulated birdbrain would comment without reading through an article and to me defines your status as a certified ABOKI.
Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by Litmus: 10:45am On Jul 02, 2014
You can always tell a Bush-Person, they are the ones that think that traditional culture is primitive. I notice, ironically, that in Nigeria it is often the cultured middle classes that value tradition while it is the underclasses or pretentious newly monied classes that elevate western culture above African ones. They think eating spaghetti and potato is the height of civilization and sneer at those that eat eba and soup. At home if they condescend to tackle eba and soup, they want to do so with knife and fork and yet give them ice water they probably blow at it being unable to differentiate between hot and cold.

4 Likes

Re: Africa: Is It Time To Put An End To Traditional Wedding Rites? by shaggy007(m): 10:50am On Jul 02, 2014
chucky234: Only clod like you would referred to the said article as a useless thread, our major problem in Africa is tribal difference and thats what the writer want us to reform in order for us to be united as a people.
The writer is also not in support of the total eradication of the traditional marriage but urging us to do away with unnecessary exubetant bride price which indirectly sold women into domestic slavery.
Finally only a discombobulated birdbrain would comment without reading through an article and to me defines your status as a certified ABOKI.

An article that focuses on tarnishing an age-long tradition, is a VERY VERY VERY useless article. And any local that is in support (fully or remotely) of eradicating his tradition is an 1mbec1le.

So since you are in support of that bull5h1t, than you are a limited edition 1mbec1le

Now, which religion in Nigeria has the most number of 1mbec1les?

Christianity? Islam? African traditional?

I guess its Islam, the Muslims.

Now what are the Muslims called in Nigeria?

Lemme guess...hmmm...I think it's ABOKI!

Don't deceive yourself that you're not an ABOKI. it's in your blood. Go and ask your parents to reveal where you were adopted cos they didn't give birth to you.

If it talks like an ABOKI, and thinks like an ABOKI....what is it?

So, my ABOKI friend, kindly shine my shoe till it can shine no more.

I'll pay N20 per shoe.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Cultural Ceremony To Crown The Pere Of Tarakiri Kingdom In Bayelsa (photos) / Number Of Languages By Country / Osi Opa Festival (Cane Festival), Where The King Canes The Subjects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.