Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,693 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:30 PM

Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index (6681 Views)

Download Pastor Kumuyi Messages & Collated Testimonies At The 2014 Retreat / Nigeria Is 80% Muslim! -US Based 'business Insider', with photos / Comparing The Cross With The Moon And The Star Symbol (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by InesQor(m): 6:11am On Jul 02, 2014
According to the Business Insider 2014 review, the following 30 countries contribute the most good to the world, in various categories.

"Business Insider":
The Good Country Index ranks 125 nations based on how much they do for others globally in seven areas: science and technology, culture, international peace and security, world order, planet and climate, prosperity and equality, and health and well being.

The ranking was created by merging of 35 data sets produced by organizations like the UN, WHO, and UNESCO over a period of nearly 3-years, according to The Economist.

"What I mean by a 'good country' is a country that contributes to the greater good," Simon Anholt, an independent policy advisor who made the index, told Business Insider. "We’ve given each country a balance-sheet to show at a glance whether it’s a net creditor to mankind, a burden on the planet, or something in between."
http://www.businessinsider.com/good-country-index-2014-6

Nigeria is at #103 out of 125 nations, so it does not show amongst the first 30. http://www.goodcountry.org/country/NGA

Comparing this with a recent (2014) Global religion diversity report indicates something interesting (report attached in excel format).

http://www.pewforum.org/2014/04/04/religious-diversity-index-scores-by-country/

The 30 most useful countries in doing good on this earth all have by far overwhelming Christian populations (except for Netherlands & New Zealand, 51% Christian and 57% Christian respectively - both STILL over half the entire population; and then Japan & Singapore where 57% in Japan is religiously unaffiliated - with 1.6% Christians, and 39% Buddhist Singapore - with 18% Christians).

Particularly, at the TOP of each category is a strongly Christian nation.

Food for thought? Is a strong Christian population not the change the world needs to see today?

3 Likes

Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by InesQor(m): 6:19am On Jul 02, 2014
The numbers don't lie. tongue

As Jesus said, "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:13-16 NIV)"
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by iamord(m): 6:28am On Jul 02, 2014
Utter rubbish..no religion is the solution of africa.. Open your head and think.. !
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by InesQor(m): 6:42am On Jul 02, 2014
iam_ord: Utter rubbish..no religion is the solution of africa.. Open your head and think.. !
Sorry I can't see how this contributes meaningfully to the topic. You don't just come on a thread and yell "utter rubbish" without adding sensible context to your claim.
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by TheBigUrban2: 7:05am On Jul 02, 2014
1) The good country index is not as peer reviewed as the peace index and the human development index which are more rigorous in their statistics.

The top 10 on the peace index and human development index are "atheistic" countries which are both secular and have a huge number of atheists

2) The countries that you mention are quite secular and have a huge number of atheists/irreligious people

3) Let's even take the number one country on your list (Ireland);

[size=14pt]Irreligion in Ireland[/size]
A 2006 Dentsu poll found that 7% of Ireland had no religion. According to Greeley (2003), 5% of those in Ireland do not believe in God, but only 2% accept the self-identification of “atheist.” According to Ingelhart et al. (2004) and Davie (1999), 4% of the Irish do not believe in God.[22]

In a 2007-2008 Gallup Poll, 42% of Ireland answered no to the question "Does religion occupy an important place in your life?" and in the 2011 Gallup, 53% of Ireland answered no.

A 2010 Bishops Conference survey found that 10.1% of Irish Roman Catholics did not believe in God.[23]

According to a 2012 WIN-Gallup International poll, Ireland had the 2nd highest decline in religiosity from 69% in 2005 to 47% in 2012, while those who considered themselves not a religious person increased 25% in 2005 to 44% in 2012. The poll also showed that 10% of Ireland now consider themselves convinced atheists, which is a vast increase from 2005.[24]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland#No_religion

4) Finland, switzerland, sweden, uk and holland are known for their secularism. Any person that refers to these countries as "christian" is a joke.

Yes, they were christian in the earlier centuries but for this current time, christianity plays no major role in most of these countres

1 Like

Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by TheBigUrban2: 7:07am On Jul 02, 2014
^^^^^

In short, you have made an argument for secularism and not christianity. In all the countries you mentioned, christianity has been dying since the 80's/90's

cool

See, how to intellectually rebut a false argument? cool cool

1 Like

Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by InesQor(m): 7:13am On Jul 02, 2014
The.Big.Urban:
1) The good country index is not as peer reviewed as the peace index and the human development index which are more rigorous in their statistics.

The top 10 on the peace index and human development index are "atheistic" countries which are both secular and have a huge number of atheists
This good country index is not only about peace, it has various categories as anyone can see.

The.Big.Urban:

2) The countries that you mention are quite secular and have a huge number of atheists/irreligious people
Is that so?

The.Big.Urban:

3) Let's even take the number one country on your list (Ireland);
Why on earth did you dig up a 2006-2007-2008 report when we're talking about 2014, and TODAY?

The.Big.Urban:

4) Finland, switzerland, sweden, uk and holland are known for their secularism. Any person that refers to these countries as "christian" is a joke.

Yes, they were christian in the earlier centuries but for this current time, christianity plays no major role in most of these countres
This is ridiculous, talking about "earlier centuries". The numbers above don't lie for TODAY, and I have combined independent reports so there is obviously no bias here.
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by InesQor(m): 7:14am On Jul 02, 2014
The.Big.Urban:
^^^^^

In short, you have made an argument for secularism and not christianity. In all the countries you mentioned, christianity has been dying since the 80's/90's

cool
Give us something more than just your word.

The.Big.Urban:
See, how to intellectually rebut a false argument? cool cool
Is it?
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by iamord(m): 9:10am On Jul 02, 2014
InesQor:
Sorry I can't see how this contributes meaningfully to the topic. You don't just come on a thread and yell "utter rubbish" without adding sensible context to your claim.

okay now I am going to go deeper. you see I am tired of all this religious crap and bragado we all tend to hold up to in this part of the World as a solution of change, that it pisses me off to my stomach.. Mind u I have been a staunch Christian.. But experiences,asking questions and finding out truth with an open mind have shaped me to the person I am today and I am proud of it. You see in this case I will have to define Intelligence as the degree of our ability to cope with changes in our environment. Now we will take a deeper look and you judge for yourself. Blacks consistently score 15% lower than
Whites on standard IQ tests and the Asians tend to score slightly more than the whites, even after blacks adjust to environmental exposures. only a select few tend to get a higher score.. Why is this so? To know this we have to go back in time, because that is where it all started from. You see the traits of our fathers and environment play a lot of in affecting the way we live today and how far we will go, religion inclusive. Intelligence levels of groups of people Or a country conform to the law of evolution. Significant change usually occurs over long time spans measured
in thousand or tens of thousands of years. But at times it can be speeded up by certain world events that take place.. The likes of a war or natural disaster etc, which forces people to develop skills of survival and other interlectual traits . If you Have noticed blacks prevail in occupations that require limited intellectual ability but a high level of physical prowess, such as manual labor or sports activities. That's why you see us top in a lot of sports and strength and Physical tasks. The opposite holds true of Jews who
predominate in intellectual and artistic pursuits that require a higher level of intelligence than physical activities. It is therefore not surprising that IQ levels for both groups differ drastically.
The saying “The dull people of this world do not run the world, the smart people run this
world” is so true. The highest standard of living does not accrue to the unintelligent
people of this world; it is the smart people, the people with the higher IQ, who are affluent. This fact is self-evident. We all know that in terms of natural resources africa is by far the richest continent on earth. Possessing enough resources to accelerate growth and development . But so far we have seen the opposite. To know why we take a look @ our past and Environment. We blacks developed in a lush tropical
environment where nature readily provided sustenance without substantial competitive pressures for natural resources. Hardly natural disasters, our religions saw God through nature, greenery and animals usually in abundance. So no need to look outside boundaries. And a few ethnic clashed there and there. This reduced the need for higher
intellectual accomplishments and did not encourage the elimination of the intellectually disadvantaged from the society. Until the slave trade, missionaries, arab merchants set in. After the transfer of blacks to the Americas, slave owners further discouraged intellectual activities and advancement on slaves and placed higher value on the
physical prowess of slaves. And brainwash for tactical control to worsen things. Manual field labor provided no evolutionary impetus for high levels of intelligence.
The reverse situation applied to Jews. Their religious beliefs and their shrewdness set them apart from most other population groups with whom they
interacted. This separateness frequently placed them into the position of scapegoats, In order to survive they had to live by their wits, not by their brawns. The harsh atmosphere of such persecution favored and honed
their intellectual ability to survive constant onslaughts of malevolence and violence. The exodus story is a good example. From egypt to the wilderness to the promise land. A land that was not their own
After thousands of years, the
weaker elements of majority of d Jewish societies gradually diminished in numbers due to the strict mode of governance, trials & decision making. The surviving Jewish population groups attained a higher standard of living due to the constant rise in IQ levels required by their survival needs. Now contrast with majority of the black populace. Evolution has no moral connotations. It
does not concern itself with the
sufferings of individuals or even vast numbers of people. Evolution is not a selective factor with a preordained
purpose. It follows only one principle: The survival and the
perpetuation of those persons who are most fit to adjust to changing environmental conditions. Evolution has
no moral or political agenda; it is merely a manifestation of the fact that some persons have superior survival mechanisms than others. In order for blacks to develop we don't need Christianity to be good or islam or any other religion. although we learn from it. From independence of african countries from 1950s what has been done to accelerate the IQ of The black mind.. Through intense education in all spheres of life.? A whole lot I want to punch on this topic but my hand dey pain me

Food for thought: a strong Christian population is NOT the change the world needs to see today? But an african society ready to develop their cultures and values to advance although learning a thing or two from other religions and cultures
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by TheBigUrban2: 2:15pm On Jul 02, 2014
InesQor:
This good country index is not only about peace, it has various categories as anyone can see.

Why are you so dishonest? Guy, I did not mention only the peace index, I also mentioned the human development index.

The human development index takes a lot of factors (categories) and it is used by the UN.

The peace index also uses a lot of factors. Guy, please let us not argue based on ignorance.

InesQor:
Is that so?

Wow....what a rebuttal undecided

InesQor:
Why on earth did you dig up a 2006-2007-2008 report when we're talking about 2014, and TODAY?

the bolded in that comment contained reports of 2007-08, 2011 and 2012- all of which consistently show that majority of Irish people are irreligious or do not put religion as important in their life

I dislike how you argue. Omitting and moving away from the point

InesQor:
This is ridiculous, talking about "earlier centuries". The numbers above don't lie for TODAY, and I have combined independent reports so there is obviously no bias here.

Why are you missing the point again?

The point is that these countries arent "christian". They could only be described as such in the earlier centuries

========================

Overall, you havent made an argument for christianity
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by TheBigUrban2: 2:17pm On Jul 02, 2014
InesQor:
Give us something more than just your word.

Is it?

Go and read about the decline of religion in Europe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Europe

You shallow response shows that you have nothing
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by InesQor(m): 10:12pm On Jul 02, 2014
@iam_ord: As much as your response is a firm declaration that you do not accept Christianity as the way forward; I can't say your response addresses the issues I raised in the OP. Thanks for replying though, we can agree to disagree.
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by InesQor(m): 10:18pm On Jul 02, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

Why are you so dishonest? Guy, I did not mention only the peace index, I also mentioned the human development index.

The human development index takes a lot of factors (categories) and it is used by the UN.

The peace index also uses a lot of factors. Guy, please let us not argue based on ignorance.

Wow....what a rebuttal undecided

the bolded in that comment contained reports of 2007-08, 2011 and 2012- all of which consistently show that majority of Irish people are irreligious or do not put religion as important in their life

I dislike how you argue. Omitting and moving away from the point

Why are you missing the point again?

The point is that these countries arent "christian". They could only be described as such in the earlier centuries

========================

Overall, you havent made an argument for christianity
- Provide evidence that the peace and human development indices are "more peer reviewed" or more rigorous or more accurate than what I presented. Or are we just to accept your word for it?

- Who is talking about 2007-08, 2011 and 2012 when we are in 2014? The OP CLEARLY says we're talking about today. Are you still in 2012?

- You say 'The point is that these countries arent "christian"'. I never said the countries are Christian. I said they almost all (except for two nations: Japan and Singapore) have over 50% Christian population TODAY. And I ask if the strong Christian influence might not be considered an interesting factor in their outlook.

If you have something that's RELEVANT and up-to-date and shows the contrary let's have it. Otherwise, never mind. I am rather familiar with your style of logic.
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by TheBigUrban2: 10:29pm On Jul 02, 2014
InesQor:
- Provide evidence that the peace and human development indices are "more peer reviewed" or more rigorous or more accurate than what I presented. Or are we just to accept your word for it?

- Who is talking about 2007-08, 2011 and 2012 when we are in 2014? The OP CLEARLY says we're talking about today. Are you still in 2012?

- You say 'The point is that these countries arent "christian"'. I never said the countries are Christian. I said they almost all (except for two nations: Japan and Singapore) have over 50% Christian population TODAY. And I ask if the strong Christian influence might not be considered an interesting factor in their outlook.

If you have something that's RELEVANT and up-to-date and shows the contrary let's have it. Otherwise, never mind. I am rather familiar with your style of logic.

@ bold
Yes, only a fool would claim that these countries have a strong christian influence

Let's look at the countries in your list again (the top 10 good countries)

PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE WHO DO NOT PLACE ANY IMPORTANCE ON RELIGION IN THEIR LIFE
Ireland-42%
Finland-69%
Switzerland-
Holland-66%
New Zealand-56%
Sweden-83%
UK-71%
Norway-78%
Denmark-80%
Belgium-61%

www.nairaland.com/attachments/1521931_religion_in_europe_png69e4a770729652cce5eced766e0d1956
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by InesQor(m): 10:38pm On Jul 02, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

@ bold
Yes, only a fool would claim that these countries have a strong christian influence

Let's look at the countries in your list again (the top 10 good countries)

PERCENTAGE OF PEOPLE WHO DO NOT PLACE ANY IMPORTANCE ON RELIGION IN THEIR LIFE
Ireland-42%
Finland-69%
Switzerland-
Holland-66%
New Zealand-56%
Sweden-83%
UK-71%
Norway-78%
Denmark-80%
Belgium-61%
I must be a fool then. For believing reports from two unbiased independent research findings; while all you come here with are bogus claims and expired data.

Pray tell. Care to tell us why you are still using 2008 statistics, even after all I have said?

Times change. Today, Islam is the fastest spreading religion in the United States. Would I not be foolish to hold on to 2012, or even WORSE 2008 statistics and argue against what can be proven in 2013/2014?
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by TheBigUrban2: 10:39pm On Jul 02, 2014
InesQor:

Several polls from 2007 to 2012 have shown a trend of religious levels going down in Europe.

I dont know what style of nonsensical argument gives you the right to dismiss any poll or study not done in 2014. Where is your brain.

Do I need to provide a 2014 poll to prove that you are wrong in claiming that there is some christian influence in those countries?
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by TheBigUrban2: 10:42pm On Jul 02, 2014
Inesqor,

You have clearly been debunked. Christianity has nothing...nada....zero effect on these countries being ranked better than others.

The common denominator between all these countries is secularism

The most christian countries in the world are in Africa
The most christian country in the west is America (USA)

Infact, practicising christianity is negative for a country's progross
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by InesQor(m): 10:42pm On Jul 02, 2014
The.Big.Urban:
Inesqor,
You have clearly been debunked.

shocked shocked Wow. Human beings can be debunked? Who would have thought so? undecided

1 Like

Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by InesQor(m): 10:43pm On Jul 02, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

Several polls from 2007 to 2012 have shown a trend of religious levels going down in Europe.

I dont know what style of nonsensical argument gives you the right to dismiss any poll or study not done in 2014. Where is your brain.

Do I need to provide a 2014 poll to prove that you are wrong in claiming that there is some christian influence in those countries?

Alright then.

1 Like

Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by TheBigUrban2: 10:45pm On Jul 02, 2014
InesQor:
I must be a fool then. For believing reports from two unbiased independent research findings; while all you come here with are bogus claims and expired data.

Pray tell. Care to tell us why you are still using 2008 statistics, even after all I have said?

Times change. Today, Islam is the fastest spreading religion in the United States. Would I not be foolish to hold on to 2012, or even WORSE 2008 statistics and argue against what can be proven in 2013/2014?

lol...the spread of islam didnt start in 2013/2014

Statisticians look at trends....the increase in muslim population started years back

Which findings state or support your ridiculous assertions that christianity has any part to do with a countries goodness/progress/ranking in the index?
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jul 02, 2014
I will advise the both of you to disengage from arguing or discussing with each other. You cannot have a reasonable argument, from what I see. InesQor, look for a more rational person to discuss with.
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by TheBigUrban2: 12:00am On Jul 03, 2014
Reyginus: I will advise the both of you to disengage from arguing or discussing with each other. You cannot have a reasonable argument, from what I see. InesQor, look for a more rational person to discuss with.

Inesqor, remember what I told you about concern trolling? (when a person comes in and then, rather than addressing the subject, he comes in and claims that both parties should elevate their rhetoric)

Reyginius, respect yourself and do not act like a fool. I put up numerous links and evidence to support my counter -argument. None of which you have done. Pleas do not come and claim that I am irrational

If you have nothing to say on the subject, SHUT UP!
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by texanomaly(f): 12:04am On Jul 03, 2014
The.Big.Urban:
Inesqor,

You have clearly been debunked. Christianity has nothing...nada....zero effect on these countries being ranked better than others.

The common denominator between all these countries is secularism

The most christian countries in the world are in Africa
The most christian country in the west is America (USA)

Infact, practicising christianity is negative for a country's progross

Are you serious, quoting America. Then making the bolded statement. What religion do you think almost all of the people who went to the Americas where? Who built America into what it is today. Christianity was, and still is the religion with the highest percentage in America. America's progress was built on the backs of a predominantly Christian people. Are you trying to say America is not a progressive country? How does quoting America establish the bolded to be true?
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by TheBigUrban2: 12:10am On Jul 03, 2014
texanomaly:

Are you serious, quoting America. Then making the bolded statement. What religion do you think almost all of the people who went to the Americas where? Who built America into what it is today. Christianity was, and still is the religion with the highest percentage in America. America's progress was built on the backs of a predominantly Christian people. Are you trying to say America is not a progressive country? How does quoting America establish the bolded to be true?

First off you are talking to a black African man.

Your country, USA, was built on the backs of slaves. Black African slaves

Before that, the land was stolen from the indians who were killed anyhow.

More land then stolen from mexico

If slavery, colonization and theft all equal christianity, then be my guest.

The usa is not the most developed or fair country. In fact, the USA fails on many issues that other western developed countries excel. Healthcare, life expectancy, literacy, foriegn policy, etc

1 Like

Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by InesQor(m): 12:28am On Jul 03, 2014
@The.Big.Urban but jokes apart, don't you think Reyginus had a point? In all your Nairaland account incarnations, I and you have never seemed to see eye-to-eye. I am not sure any other person on Nairaland falls into that category - as in we "never" had a baseline in any conversation on any thread. Probably I just don't understand your perspectives, or vice versa. *shrugs*
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by texanomaly(f): 12:36am On Jul 03, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

First off you are talking to a black African man.

Your country, USA, was built on the backs of slaves. Black African slaves

Before that, the land was stolen from the indians who were killed anyhow.

More land then stolen from mexico

If slavery, colonization and theft all equal christianity, then be my guest.

The usa is not the most developed or fair country. In fact, the USA fails on many issues that other western developed countries excel. Healthcare, life expectancy, literacy, foriegn policy, etc

You got me on the slavery part. The South tried to secede so they could continue their evil. The United States of America kicked their azzes and sent them crying to their mommas. The Native American issue is something I do feel was unfair. Unfortunately the US didn't fight for them. They nearly destroyed them. Yup...you got me on the Mexico thing too. I guess every country in the world needs to give back all land they have ever stolen, including tribal lands taken by force from other tribes.

You've also got me on healthcare, life expectancy and foreign policy. Obamacare sux, Americans are too fat and Obama is clueless when it comes to foreign policy. I'm pretty sure we are not the nation with the lowest literacy rates though. (btw, this is how "foreign" is spelled)

Thanks for setting me straight.

1 Like

Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by TheBigUrban2: 4:26am On Jul 03, 2014
texanomaly:

You got me on the slavery part. The South tried to secede so they could continue their evil. The United States of America kicked their azzes and sent them crying to their mommas. The Native American issue is something I do feel was unfair. Unfortunately the US didn't fight for them. They nearly destroyed them. Yup...you got me on the Mexico thing too. I guess every country in the world needs to give back all land they have ever stolen, including tribal lands taken by force from other tribes.

You've also got me on healthcare, life expectancy and foreign policy. Obamacare sux, Americans are too fat and Obama is clueless when it comes to foreign policy. I'm pretty sure we are not the nation with the lowest literacy rates though. (btw, this is how "foreign" is spelled)

Thanks for setting me straight.

You are talking to a Nigerian. Nigeria never stole any tribal land. Not all countries are like America. Try again

Your healthcare sucked before Obamacare
Obama didnt start the war in iraq or afghanistan
Neither did he send young men to die in vietnam

and when did you become a grammar Nazi? Educating me on how to spell "foreign"? Yes I did make the mistake but.... undecided
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by TheBigUrban2: 4:36am On Jul 03, 2014
InesQor: @The.Big.Urban but jokes apart, don't you think Reyginus had a point? In all your Nairaland account incarnations, I and you have never seemed to see eye-to-eye. I am not sure any other person on Nairaland falls into that category - as in we "never" had a baseline in any conversation on any thread. Probably I just don't understand your perspectives, or vice versa. *shrugs*

lies....we have agreed on something before.

Funny enough, you know that you were wrong on this thread and now you are trying to concern troll; trying to say that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Nope. You are simply wrong and I am right.
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by InesQor(m): 5:51am On Jul 03, 2014
The.Big.Urban:

lies....we have agreed on something before.

Funny enough, you know that you were wrong on this thread and now you are trying to concern troll; trying to say that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Nope. You are simply wrong and I am right.
It's provocative yet bogus statements like this that make it hard for me to take you serious. Provide evidence for the highlighted part abeg. I'm waiting.
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by TheBigUrban2: 5:53am On Jul 03, 2014
InesQor:
It's provocative yet bogus statements like this that make it hard for me to take you serious. Provide evidence for the highlighted part abeg. I'm waiting.

You'd have to wait till this evening. wink
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by Nobody: 5:53am On Jul 03, 2014
I don't think the so called 'Good' country index is a good basis to argue for Christians or Christianity. Though I think the yard stick they used to measure how good a Country is from the Christian perspective is quite flawed considering that the Christian thing is not just about how an action seems to be good but on the disposition of the individual giving out goodness.

If an individual is only giving out in order to have a lion's share of the comparative advantage i.e giving in order to enjoy some benefits from other countries then the overall objective of being good is defeated because the individual is not just being good for goodness sake but on the contrary, the individual is just demonstrating that he or she is an ardent student of the archaic barter system.

Our world today is driven by the 'selfish' motive irrespective of the economic system adopted. This tool has proven over time to be very effective in promoting seemingly 'good deeds'. A good businessman sets out to satisfy the wants and sometimes needs of others but this good is really not why he is in business. His bank account has to be great in d long run (though the short run is not ruled out).

Judging how Christians or Christianity is doing based on how much 'wants' or 'needs' are satisfied by the typical Christian businessman is quite frankly not a good basis to judge, looking at it from the Christian angle. I look forward to a day where committee of Nations would stand and do stuff because it is right as against as against using the selfish motive as the yardstick to determine their level of goodness; but for now I am contented with the humanitarian efforts put in by some irrespective of their motives.
Re: Comparing The 2014 Business Insider Good Country Index And A 2014 Religion Index by TheBigUrban2: 5:58am On Jul 03, 2014
striktlymi: I don't think the so called 'Good' country index is a good basis to argue for Christians or Christianity. Though I think the yard stick they used to measure how good a Country is from the Christian perspective is quite flawed considering that the Christian thing is not just about how an action seems to be good but on the disposition of the individual giving out goodness.

If an individual is only giving out in order to have a lion's share of the comparative advantage i.e giving in order to enjoy some benefits from other countries then the overall objective of being good is defeated because the individual is not just being good for goodness sake but on the contrary, the individual is just demonstrating that he or she is an ardent student of the archaic barter system.

Our world today is driven by the 'selfish' motive irrespective of the economic system adopted. This tool has proven over time to be very effective in promoting seemingly 'good deeds'. A good businessman sets out to satisfy the wants and sometimes needs of others but this good is really not why he is in business. His bank account has to be great in d long run (though the short run is not ruled out).

Judging how Christians or Christianity is doing based on how much 'wants' or 'needs' are satisfied by the typical Christian businessman is quite frankly not a good basis to judge, looking at it from the Christian angle. I look forward to a day where committee of Nations would stand and do stuff because it is right as against as against using the selfish motive as the yardstick to determine their level of goodness; but for now I am contented with the humanitarian efforts put in by some irrespective of their motives.

Inesqor, are you reading?

Striklymi, good to have you back. wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Islamic State Again In France, This Time Failed ! / Hell Is A Christian Hoax / Why Do We Blame The Devil When We Are Caught Doing Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.