Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,342 members, 7,808,203 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:38 AM

The Day I Died : April 14 - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Day I Died : April 14 (16788 Views)

The Day I Died - AKINWALE AKINYOADE / I Died Last Night / The Day I Died - Part Two (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by ghostwritter(m): 7:04pm On Jul 22, 2014
April 14,1814.
(Somewhere in West-Africa)

“I never doubted for a second about your coming, I had always trusted you” I heard someone said. The voice was familiar.

I tried opening my eyes to see who own that voice but the ray of the sun disallowed at first, so I tried opening slowly to see a figure standing right above my head with a smile. I felt too weak to stand up so I tried to figure the face which turned up-side down looking down at me. I sprang up immediately Like an Antelope after realizing who owns that face.

“you!...wha…wha…what are you doing in my……” I paused as I realized where I was.

“how did I get here? What have you done to me?.... am I dead already?” I sprayed out questions with a tone filled with great fear.

The figure in front of me just kept mute and looked marveled like a child in front of an ice-cream. I saw clearly the figure that horrified my sight and senses, it was unbelievable!

“Yes it is I again, the mysterious old woman” she said with a calm but cracking voice

“Is this how heaven looks like?” I thought amidst of fear as I looked around to see tall thick grasses and trees around me.

“Ma, please am I dead or is this another strange dream?” I asked

“Both!” she answered sharply.

“Both…… How? Yeee!!! So I don die be dat” I unconsciously shouted as I placed both arms on my head in horror.

The ‘mysterious old woman’ in front of me suddenly turned her back on me and ordered “follow me!”.
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by heemah(f): 3:38am On Jul 23, 2014
follow ke?? pls dnt follow her oo..lolz..this is gettin interesting.well done sir

3 Likes

Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by ghostwritter(m): 2:25pm On Jul 23, 2014
We walked across bushes and large surface of farm, for about ten minutes I followed my ‘captor’ sheeplessly, I tried figuring out what exactly was happening to me, the atmosphere smelt of fresh soil and herbs. I thought of asking questions or better still running away but something within me just couldn’t. Suddenly she stopped in front of a huge tree.

“erutayo, do you remember this tree?” she asked, while her eyes still fixed upon the tree.

“sorry Ma, my name is Omotayo and not erutayo……and how do you expect me to know this tree when I have no idea of where we are?” I pointed out to her as I tried sounding confident.

“ohhh this tree!!....this ‘iroko’ tree that witnessed the beginning of our love and also saw how it was snatched from us” she caressed the tree with her old tiny hands as the spoke with tones filled with emotion.

“from us?” I asked looking confused

“yes, from the both of us!”

“honestly Ma, I don’t understand the…..” I paused and quickly hide behind a tall grass as I heard the sound of someone giggling from a distance.

The old woman was still on her feet, she was looking straight at the direction from which the sound was coming from, I couldn’t help but notice she seem expectant of what was about to appear.

The giggling sound was accompanied with laughter by someone else, the sounds and footsteps were getting louder and closer like they were coming exactly towards me. I peeped from within the grasses where I hide to see what was going on; I saw a young woman and a man walking hand-in-hand beside each other, they looked so happy and cheerful together as they walked towards where I was hiding. When these two people reached the ‘iroko’ tree, they stopped and stood facing one another, looking into each other’s eyes so passionately, it was obvious they are lovers…..it was a pure feeling of love going by the way they acted. To my surprise, the old woman was standing beside them and it seems her presence was not noticed by the 'love birds'.

“be out from hiding, we are invisible to the eyes of anyone and anything in this present era” the old woman said.

“as in they cannot see us?” I asked

“yes, they cannot”.

1 Like

Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by McLove(m): 6:39am On Jul 24, 2014
Ride on the ghostwriter.... u re just too Good
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by McLove(m): 6:40am On Jul 24, 2014
Ride on the ghostwriter.... u re just too Good
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by ghostwritter(m): 2:53pm On Jul 29, 2014
REMOVED

1 Like

Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by ghostwritter(m): 2:57pm On Jul 29, 2014
McLove: Ride on the ghostwriter.... u re just too Good
Thank you so much for ur encouragement on bbm and NL.
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by ghostwritter(m): 2:59pm On Jul 29, 2014
heemah: follow ke?? pls dnt follow her oo..lolz..this is gettin interesting.well done sir
Thank u for the encouragement
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by ghostwritter(m): 3:06pm On Jul 29, 2014
Thanks to all of u who just read and waka-pass, there is God o! cry
Pls I will like u guys to comment on errors u notice. It only helps me get better.
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 29, 2014
another waw!!!
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by tfabu: 8:16pm On Jul 30, 2014
Great job ghost writer,update plsss

1 Like

Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by Santi222(m): 9:45pm On Jul 30, 2014
Ghost.... Ghost... Ghost Writer!!! How many times did I call you? Take this from ME... You are good! Now come and update before I give u another Kolanut that has the power to.....
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by McLove(m): 1:09pm On Aug 03, 2014
Ghost Writer wey u nah
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by emarkson(m): 6:38pm On Aug 10, 2014
guy u no fit update since. Wentin dey do u self. Mtcheew angry
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by ghostwritter(m): 11:48am On Aug 13, 2014
guys, I'm super sorry!!
my laptop had since developed fault....I promise u guys of greater suspense to come....just bookmark!!
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by ghostwritter(m): 1:53pm On Aug 13, 2014
Erutayo paused for awhile, he looked worried, he slowly held Asake arms.

“what is it my love, you look so worried, is it because of this kola-nut?” Asake asked after noticing the distress on her lover’s face.

“No….not at all, it is not about the kola-nut, it is about a terrible dream I had this morning”

“Dream!....what was the dream all about?”

“I dreamt I was buried alive deep within the earth and I could hear the wailing of my fellow slaves who stood beside my grave to sympertize”

“Ahhhh….that’s obviously a bad omen, we need to go see Baba Alakija the interpreter, and he should be able to tell us what next to do.

“you will go no where!!” shouted a bold voice from the forest. A stout looking man walked majestically out of the bush, he was accompanied with seven hefty looking men who all had the same outfit and chains on them just like the one on Erutayo.

From where I stood looking, I knew something wasn’t right and something wasn’t ganna be right, I could see the instant fear covering Erutayo, he had lost the confidence he had as a man when he was alone with his lover, he now looked exposed and insecure in front of Asake whom he was meant to protect. It was obvious Erutayo knew the extent of brutality that was to follow next, he grabbed confused Asake by the arm and without words……they ran so fast going through the opposite side of the large farm.

The hefty looking slaves intended to run after the lovers but were ordered to a halt by the stout-looking man who had a great air of so much power and authority around him, the slaves around him did not look surprise, they withdrew to their initial positions immediately; it seems they sure knew ‘this man’ had got something more powerful around his sleeves. The stout-looking man who was dressed in a typical Yoruba chief outfit of ‘agbada’ stepped forward and brought something like a small black ball from his pocket, he poured out the content into his hand, he grumbled something which I assumed was an incantation and within few seconds blew the white substance which was on his hand into the winds.

I couldn’t believe what I saw next……it was magical….but evil.

1 Like

Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by Nobody: 2:01pm On Aug 13, 2014
Waooh .......i foreseeing you a nobel laureate in literature some day

but ASAKE is my wife's name oo
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by ghostwritter(m): 5:45pm On Aug 13, 2014
The stout-looking man quickly withdrew back after blowing the substance into the air, he looked so sure of himself and seemed to be expecting something to happen and surely something happened. The white substance hanged in the midair to gradually form into something which was like a huge skull, the skull seems to have a life of its own because it opened it mouth in a wild and horrific manner. I could feel myself trebling from where I watched, I couldn’t believe it; even the hefty-looking slaves looked so scared.

“Go!...go get me that bastard of a slave, I want him paralyzed!!” the stout-looking man ordered the object infront of him, the mysterious skull vanished through the thin-air and followed was a mighty wind blowing across the farm. The man looked vexed, I could see total rage all over him, he waited expectantly with his eyes fixed at the direction in which Asake and Erutayo had run through.

“Master, why haven’t you just allowed few of us handle him?” one of the slaves asked

“I don’t want him handled, I want him totally destroyed” replied the stout-looking man

Almost immediately, he ordered three of the men behind him to ‘go and get the bastard’ and few minutes later, the so called ‘bastard’ was carried by two of the men while Asake was fighting hard to come-off from the man holding her so tight.

Erutayo was dumped on the ground like a bag of stone, he fell to the ground like he had no bones on him, the only moving part of his body was his head which he moved slowly, his eyes were wild open and his mouth motioned but no words came out of it, he was totally helpless, he looked so much like a lamb ready for the slaughter.

“Baba mi ejoo….ejoooo!!!” Asake pleaded to the stout-looking man she called ‘father’ by kneeling infront of him with tear on her face, she obviously knew what her father was capable of doing and what her father must have done to her lover. Her father kept a straight face and ordered some of the men to “go tie her around one of the trees over there” he ordered as he pointed at the tree which from behind I had been watching.

what followed later was far more than what I could bear....it was inhuman.

1 Like

Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by MightyFortress: 9:18am On Aug 14, 2014
Oya come update.. Stop dis delay..

1 Like

Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by Xplodes2700(m): 12:30pm On Aug 15, 2014
Following with Deep Concentration, Ghostwritter you are Good, very Good, I love this
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by Bacelona(m): 8:35pm On Aug 17, 2014
Gud one dia fire on
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by ghostwritter(m): 11:39am On Aug 18, 2014
All along, the ‘mysterious old woman’ kept mute as she watched with kin interest, I could feel the pain she harbored inside of her as she sat on a log of wood to watch.

“as if the gods witnessed the agony that behold us, they wept with us” as she said this, the cloud began to turn dark, there was great wind and thunder storm; what started as a drop of water suddenly turned into a heavy rain. As heavy as the rain fell, not a single drop fell on the old woman and I “this is weird”. Truly, it was as if mother-nature itself was around to show her sympathy for the unfortunate love-birds and to also fight on their behalf as the wind whispering, rain beating, thunder striking. The whole atmosphere was electrifying and it was obvious that nature was at rage.

The stout-looking man Fijabi Ajijogun seems not to care about what the natural atmosphere was like, even as the rain fell so heavily on him he walked majestically and stood above Erutayo who seem like a prey under the mercy of it predator. From where I stood watching, I couldn’t tell if Erutayo was still alive at that moment or not because his body lay still under the heavy rain. I felt nothing but pity as I watched; I grew so angry knowing there was nothing I could do to change the past…yes, the past. I looked into the face of Asake who was tied to an iroko tree; she was still trying hard to fight herself loose. In her eyes I saw pain, in her eyes I saw the burning love she has for Erutayo, in her eyes I saw……… “oh my God, this is unbelivable” I screamed with shock.

I paused for a while to do some mind-blowing thinking, I slowly turned towards the mysterious old woman beside me to confirm……and yes, the answer I seek was right in front of me.

“now I get it, I have just figured it out…… I now know who you are!! You are Asake, Yes…. You are Asake the daughter of Fijabi Ajijogun, I had once read about this event in one of the books in my school library, now its all coming back to me….. wait a minute, but if you are Asake then who is Erutayo?” I asked as I shiver with disbelief.

“You are the answer to your own question!!” said the old woman.

April 14, 2010.

It was on a Wednesday morning, I had rush into the school library to quickly and quietly get something to read for the exam which was to hold in the afternoon. I was shocked.....

1 Like

Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by MightyFortress: 12:01pm On Aug 18, 2014
Excellent story and layout .. Except these updates are too short... Take a peep at the works of popular Nairaland writers.. Zubby 77, Ishilove, Royver, Flow, SammyHoe, KayemJay Frank 3;16... They all give at least 2 long updates each time... So step up, Ghost.. Ur story might win sumtin this year.

1 Like

Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by ghostwritter(m): 12:06pm On Aug 18, 2014
N.B
thank you guys for your comments which had been my only source of motivation. I am about to take you all to another phase of the story.....i swear, I myself don't know what's coming ahead but I promise to wow!! and marvel you all.

1 Like

Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by Nobody: 12:36pm On Aug 18, 2014
ghostwritter: N.B
thank you guys for your comments which had been my only source of motivation. I am about to take you all to another phase of the story.....i swear, I myself don't know what's coming ahead but I promise to wow!! and marvel you all.

You are welcome but make it snappy to quench thissss thirst
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by ghostwritter(m): 3:44pm On Aug 18, 2014
April 14, 2010.

It was on a Wednesday morning, I had rushed into the school library to quickly and quietly get something to read for the exam which was to hold in the afternoon. I was shocked but not too surprised to see how filled-up the University of Ilorin library was, I saw heads above every table, every seat was occupied….with their minds buried in whatever was in front of them.

“ahh ahhh!!.... Don’t these students sleep at all, how on earth did they all make it to the library before me?” I asked no one in particular as I glanced through my wrist watch to see it was 7:18am.

I was determined to find a place for myself among these ‘efikos’, so I shuffled from one row to the other just to find an empty sit. At last I found an abandoned broken chair which was manageable by a corner, on it was an old crumple-looking tattered book, I simply removed and threw the book on the floor, dusted and sat on the chair.

For about an hour, I tried very hard to concentrate on the various books I was reading, I was determined not to have any carry-over till I graduate, but at that moment, nothing educative was going into my head. There was obviously no excuse for distraction; the library was so quiet, the air-conditioner was working perfectly and my stomach was filled with beans and garri…… “So wetin kon dey do me, abi some village people don jazz me sey make I no graduate…… aaahhh!!....the devil is a liar oo?” I thought in great fear. That was unlike me, I tried as much as possible to see if I could concentrate on my text books but still couldn’t so I decided to take a quick walk around the library believing it might help me get my mind together. As I walked round the book shelves glancing through every book cover, pretty faces and outfits on my way, I suddenly heard a voice behind me whispered …….”Save me, I am tied!!”

Looking back, I saw no one. I could swear I heard someone talk.

Like the speed of light, I dashed back to my seat but what I saw on it made me gasp for breath..... shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by ghostwritter(m): 4:23pm On Aug 18, 2014
MightyFortress: Excellent story and layout .. Except these updates are too short... Take a peep at the works of popular Nairaland writers.. Zubby 77, Ishilove, Royver, Flow, SammyHoe, KayemJay Frank 3;16... They all give at least 2 long updates each time... So step up, Ghost.. Ur story might win sumtin this year.
my yoruba people will say "shoki lobe oge"
I am not here to compete with anybody. its my style....its my thread.
Besides, all these people u mentioned are far better than I am. dat ishilove na winch.

5 Likes

Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by Ishilove: 4:32pm On Aug 18, 2014
ghostwritter:
my yoruba people will say "shoki lobe oge"
I am not here to compete with anybody. its my style....its my thread.
Besides, all these people u mentioned are far better than I am. dat ishilove na winch.
sad
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by ghostwritter(m): 6:50pm On Aug 18, 2014
Ishilove:
sad
nooooo....not that kind of village winch o, na literary winch I dey talk about o.
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by ghostwritter(m): 9:54am On Aug 20, 2014
Laying on my seat when I got there was that crumple-looking book I had earlier threw on the floor, I looked at the faces of those around me and I believed none of them could have put such a dirty book on my seat….. “abi d person wan die?”. This time I did not just put the book on the floor, I made sure I flung it far away from my seat before sitting comfortably to read. My situation was getting worst; the contents inside my text books became totally unabsolvable. Instead, the echo of “Save me, I am tied” kept replaying itself in my head. It was like a case of the hen staring at a bottled corn; I could read but couldn’t understand. I suddenly felt stressed-up. I fearfully composed a very short prayer inside my mind ASAP with the prayer point ‘ANY VILLAGE WICHES AND WITZARDS FROM MY PARENT’S LINEAGE FOLLOWING ME MUST CATCH FIRE’.

I still couldn’t make any sense whatsoever from my text books and exam was though few hours ahead. At a point I just busted into laughter, I wasn’t laughing because of any positive reason, I was laughing because I was so stressed-up and totally confused. I could feel the atmosphere was emotionally heavy for me. I decided to go take fresh air outside the school library……and up, I left.

I greeted familiar faces on my way out, walked towards a provision store beside ‘motion-ground’ to go get chew-gum, walked back into the library, greeted familiar faces on my way in, I was briefly relieved emotionally and it made me happy. I walked towards my seat with an air of satisfaction as I chew the gum in my mouth, “Olorun sheun o……my enemies don scatter at last!!” I thought within me.

Getting to my seat, I found that same crumple-looking book on my on it. Just that this time, the book was opened to the middle.

This time, I was undoubtedly sure that either one of my friends within the library is trying hard to play a silly prank just to scare me or someone is trying to pass a message wanting me to read that book on my seat. I looked around to see if I would see any of my friends who is capable of doing that but I didn’t, but instead, I saw everyone minding his or her own business, no one noticed me at all. I removed the book, quietly sat down to take a closer look at it; the book was very light in weight and fragile, I opened it and saw it was someone’s dairy…..yes, it was someone’s dairy because the narration in it was documented with a hand-writing. I quickly flipped through every pages and within it stumbled upon a nicely drawn images of villagers invaded by warlords, men bounded with chains and whipped with lashes, a man bound in chain hugging a nicely dressed lady under an iroko tree, an angry looking man standing above another man under a stormy rain…….. After seeing all the images inside of it, I decided “this must be a very interesting dairy to keep me entertained for a while at least before going back to my boring text-books”….it felt as if I was about to trespass by reading about someone else dairy, but I was determined to get myself entertained. “Besides, I met the dairy on my chair so nobody can arrest me for reading it”.

I flipped back to the front page to start a proper reading; the captioned title and introduction of it got me aback.

The Day I Died: April 14……..My name is Asake Arinola Ajijogun, the only daughter to Balogun Fijabi Ajijogun and Aina Ariyike Ajijogun, these are what you need to know about my life and the day I died.......

1 Like

Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by kinxlink(m): 11:23am On Aug 20, 2014
This lovely and heartbreaking story, so hilarious, so emotional,One of the. Best stories I have read.
Nice update Ghostwriter, still u rock.....*clears throat* waiter!!! serve Everyone here The bill is on me... waitin 4 next update..

#Kudos
Re: The Day I Died : April 14 by Nobody: 12:00pm On Aug 20, 2014
kinxlink: This lovely and heartbreaking story, so hilarious, so emotional,One of the. Best stories I have read.
Nice update Ghostwriter, still u rock.....*clears throat* waiter!!! serve Everyone here The bill is on me... waitin 4 next update..

#Kudos

En en en....waiter abegi give me just two bottle of champagne on kinxklink bill

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Crushed / Nairaland E- Workshop For Writers--Last Day Of 6(OCt5) / ANOTHER FLOWERBOY TALE (Perfect Addiction (18+) By Blezzed Abraham...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.