Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,388 members, 7,808,370 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:04 AM

Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? (13596 Views)

Why Do Men Go For Calabar And Igbo Women? More..need Clarifacation / Why Do Many Married Men And Women Refuse Wearing Their Wedding Ring This Days. / Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by bilms(m): 11:11am On Jul 02, 2014
I read an article few hours ago on nairaland where the writer is advocating for the elimination of African traditional rites on marriage.

According to her, the practice of giving bride price and other materials to the bride's family should be eliminated or made optional for those who wish to.

However, i feel such advocacy should be applied to all rites in marriage, be it traditional, court or white marriage.

For example in both court and white marriage, the groom is required to buy and give the bride a wedding ring. Why is that? What does it signify?

There are many other rites associated with court and white wedding aswell, if wedding rites should be eliminated, we must first look at the reasons why such rites are being done.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by Lordabas: 11:27am On Jul 02, 2014
Because in reality the ring is a bribe. A girl needs a big bribe to take on a man for the rest of his life! lol.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by fabolakers(m): 11:47am On Jul 02, 2014
Front page Things.

I think it's to show that the guy will be capable of taking care of their daughter.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by Lilimax(f): 11:55am On Jul 02, 2014
A wedding ring is a symbol of love and wearing your ring also signals clearly to others that you and your spouse
are fully committed to each other although it doesn't stop men from being promiscuous embarassed.
However, I love and respect couples that wears their wedding ring always smiley

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by Mbediogu(m): 1:04pm On Jul 02, 2014
Hahahah
Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by bilms(m): 4:56pm On Jul 02, 2014
how does ring signify love?
Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by bilms(m): 4:57pm On Jul 02, 2014
bribe? lol
Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by Badmushazan: 6:06am On Jul 04, 2014
Symbol of commitment. Front page things

1 Like

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by LMAyedun(m): 6:06am On Jul 04, 2014
Lilimax: A wedding ring is a symbol of love and wearing your ring also signals clearly to others that you and your spouse
are fully committed to each other although it doesn't stop men and Some women from being promiscuous embarassed.
You made alot of sense but i fixed some for you.

9 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by strawgirl(f): 6:07am On Jul 04, 2014
Its a Sign of commitment and agreement.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by Yoney007(f): 6:22am On Jul 04, 2014
Its a sign to show the EX(s) or the intending nEXt(s) who you really belong to grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by justi4jesu(f): 6:23am On Jul 04, 2014
Investment grin
Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by tuoyoojo(m): 6:24am On Jul 04, 2014
To me I see its a as a sign screaming "back off! The space is occupied" lol

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by sweetp(f): 6:37am On Jul 04, 2014
its means commitment.
Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by material988(m): 6:45am On Jul 04, 2014
Lilimax: A wedding ring is a symbol of love and wearing your ring also signals clearly to others that you and your spouse
are fully committed to each other although it doesn't stop men from being promiscuous embarassed.

what of those that engage and wed with bible?
So i dont completly think that a wedding ring is a symble of love
Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by G12(m): 6:45am On Jul 04, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by kossyablaze(m): 6:47am On Jul 04, 2014
It is an investment

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by naijathings(m): 6:48am On Jul 04, 2014
[size=14pt]maybe i will ask the LORD OF THE RINGS.. he seems to know much about rings[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by NaLaugh: 6:49am On Jul 04, 2014
Maga tinz

1 Like

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by Youngzedd(m): 6:49am On Jul 04, 2014
Symbol of commitment.

It's just to book space, say you want marry am, so that others will stay clear. Nothing more.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by chelseabmw(m): 6:53am On Jul 04, 2014
The ring is like a bond btw both parties

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by zicjoe(m): 7:01am On Jul 04, 2014
Really, does it show commitment
Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by Koolmexxi(m): 7:09am On Jul 04, 2014
The ring doesn't really signify love. I think it's supposed to prove and indicate who's taken and who's not except he/she acts otherwise. Trust me if not for d rings, we go dey pursue people wife up and down innocently.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by AngelEbi(f): 7:18am On Jul 04, 2014
If not for the ring, some stubborn men would feel that you are just playing hard to get.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by Nobody: 7:28am On Jul 04, 2014
Lilimax: A
edding ring is a symbol of love and wearing your ring also signals clearly to others that you and your spouse
Was it only Men that are promiscouos?
Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by powerblaze(m): 7:29am On Jul 04, 2014
It Separates the 'TAKEN' from the 'TAKEAWAY'

1 Like

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by Nobody: 7:34am On Jul 04, 2014
AngelEbi: If not for the ring, some stubborn men would feel that you are just playing hard to get.
And vice versa. Anyway most ladies does n't care if a Man is married.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 04, 2014
The wedding ring is just a small handcuff,to identify someone's inmate..so choose your inmate wisely,to prevent prison break.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by okotv(m): 7:36am On Jul 04, 2014
Koolmexxi: The ring doesn't really signify love. I think it's supposed to prove and indicate who's taken and who's not except he/she acts otherwise. Trust me if not for d rings, we go dey pursue people wife up and down innocently.
if so how would you know when ring wearing is part of fashion

1 Like

Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by Koolmexxi(m): 7:49am On Jul 04, 2014
okotv: if so how would you know when ring wearing is part of fashion
Trust me, ppl who wear rings on the wedding finger of their left hand do so cos dey expect ppl to believe it's an "I'm taken ring" . D same applies to wen it is worn on d middle finger
Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by Atmmachine(m): 8:03am On Jul 04, 2014
it doesn't matter who gives the ring
my wife was the one that engaged me
Re: Why Do Men Give Women Wedding Ring? by Superstar007(m): 8:04am On Jul 04, 2014
Its to differentiate the taken from the takewee tongue

Meanwhile,
You accepted his engagement Ring 5years ago & Till now no wedding date,
My Dear you are not “Lord of the
Rings” return that Key holder and Move on ! grin grin

5 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oguta Land In Imo State Is An Extension Of Benin Empire / Dressing Among Tribes / Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.