Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,509 members, 7,781,561 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 05:03 PM

We Are In Darkness 2/3rd Of The Year! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / We Are In Darkness 2/3rd Of The Year! (786 Views)

The Github's 3rd Annual Data Challenge Without Coding / Use 3rd Party Tool (.net Components Or Activex) In You App Or Reinvent The Wheel / Internet Connection Sharing With A 3rd Party (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Are In Darkness 2/3rd Of The Year! by asalimpo(m): 8:06pm On Jul 02, 2014
Based on gathered data on power supply. The nigerian programmer is supplied with btween 800 - 1200 hours of electricity a year.
I'd b optimistic and push figures up to 1500 hours for a very good year.
At this rate, lets say 1200 hrs/yr,
and with a daily requirement of 10hrs min to b operational, the nigerian dev experiences just 4 months of light in a 12 month year (barring any exceptional event like transformer mishaps).
So if phcn decided to give steady power daily at 10hrs/yr, we'd b left to fend for ourselves from may onward.
This isnt funny at all. And the situation will not get better anytime soon. Maybe 5years from now the situation may improve to 5 months power/7 months darkness. Or 2,000hrs/year.
Economically,it makes little sense hooking up to a supplier that can only supply a meagre ,choppy, 1000+ hours of power out of a 8700+ year,spread over 12 months. Nigerians wu can afford it are better disconnecting from d grid-for peace of mind and reliability.
Things arent really getting better electricity-wise.

Ps:
data was gathered for 5 months of this year(jan-may) and analysed.
- i'm using my experience as a representative sample for the nation.
Re: We Are In Darkness 2/3rd Of The Year! by aphildam(m): 6:58pm On Jul 03, 2014
i had similarly probs with my programming lessons, i had to get a laptop power bank , and am currently trying to complete my inverter for po'er suppliment , but i think getting a solar panel would go a long way in easing things.

u can contact me if u are interested,
Re: We Are In Darkness 2/3rd Of The Year! by Sibrah: 7:43pm On Jul 03, 2014
Good idea Mr. OP.
I tried getting a double cell laptop battery recently from computer village to no avail. I am already thinking about the powerbank option. I think the portable one should be good for charging in many places as it will be easier to move around.
Re: We Are In Darkness 2/3rd Of The Year! by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 03, 2014
And yet, some people are expecting us to produce our own facebook and the likes eh? The cost of good internet is also another serious problem.

1 Like

Re: We Are In Darkness 2/3rd Of The Year! by asalimpo(m): 8:41am On Jul 04, 2014
@aphildam
i'm interested in knowg more.
Can fill me in on the inverter cost and duration,the power bank cost and duration.

what dyu mean ur still tryg 2 build an inverter?
Are u d one constructg it or ur buyg d parts piecemeal or u savg for it..?

What is your personal xperience with these products.
Re: We Are In Darkness 2/3rd Of The Year! by Ajibel(m): 10:10am On Jul 05, 2014
When I need light badly, I go to a cyber cafe, buy 2hrs, I wont use it...buh spend the next 5hrs or more there doing what I wanted to do. I also change cafe from time to time so the attendant wont suspect...
Re: We Are In Darkness 2/3rd Of The Year! by Djtm(m): 10:35am On Jul 05, 2014
I used to think the term "Third world countries" was a derogatory term until I read about Germany generating half of their electricity form solar energy. That half being 24.3GW. So they must be generating about 59-60GW while nigeria is generating about 4000MW. Then I realized Nigeria is a fifth world country. Like dhtml said, the cost of internet is another limiting factor. How many Nigerians can sit back and watch youtube videos without sweating? A friend in malaysia told me he bought 1GB for an equivalent of 50naira. The crap telecommunication companies offer us here is BS. Wth do you want to do with 4GB?
Back to the elctricity issue, I might just build my own inverter before the end of this year.
Re: We Are In Darkness 2/3rd Of The Year! by digitite: 10:51am On Jul 05, 2014
Djtm: I used to think the term "Third world countries" was a derogatory term until I read about Germany generating half of their electricity form solar energy. That half being 24.3GW. So they must be generating about 59-60GW while nigeria is generating about 4000MW. Then I realized Nigeria is a fifth world country. Like dhtml said, the cost of internet is another limiting factor. How many Nigerians can sit back and watch youtube videos without sweating? A friend in malaysia told me he bought 1GB for an equivalent of 50naira. The crap telecommunication companies offer us here is BS. Wth do you want to do with 4GB?
Back to the elctricity issue, I might just build my own inverter before the end of this year.

And the fact that we are blessed with abundant sunshine makes us look grossly incompetent.

As programmers, we need to think a step ahead of the average citizen.

(1) (Reply)

Artificial Intelligence (cortana) / Computer Science Project / I Need Best Ebook For Java

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.