Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,496 members, 7,781,486 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:25 PM

Anybody Know of any Elderly People Born in the Pre-colonial Times? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Anybody Know of any Elderly People Born in the Pre-colonial Times? (1294 Views)

Did West Africans Develop Cast Iron In Pre-colonial Times? / Nsibiri: The Pre-colonial Writing Of The South Eastern People / Why Hausa Language In Bbc, Voa, Germany Radio, China, France Anybody Know ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Anybody Know of any Elderly People Born in the Pre-colonial Times? by kingston277(m): 10:36pm On Jul 02, 2014
I was reading an article on an unrelated topic and noticed it mentioned the birth and death of a researcher from the 19th century (1868-1954 making him about 86 yo). I knew people lived between the transition between the 19th and the 20th centuries, and I've always known colonialism was a very recent phenomenon, but it never really hit me how useful it could be for historians if Africans who had grandparents or great grandparents whom for example may have died for example, around the 1950s/1960s who have told about their childhood in the pre-colonial times. This would eliminate the need for extensive archaeology and oral traditions if we simply interview the elderly who have observed these societies in the flesh in their youth.

So have any nairalanders with (great)grandparents born in the pre-colonial era heard them talk about their childhood in those times, particularly in the cities such as Ile-Ife, Benin city, Oyo, Kano, etc(or do you know anyone who has)? If so, have they told you(or your parents)stories about events going on at the time? What did the architecture of the cities look like? Were the people friendly or rude? How frequent were conflicts? What technology was employed to do everyday things? How influential were the ruling elites?
Re: Anybody Know of any Elderly People Born in the Pre-colonial Times? by kingston277(m): 10:11pm On Jul 10, 2014
Anybody willing to contribute?
Re: Anybody Know of any Elderly People Born in the Pre-colonial Times? by misreal(m): 10:55pm On Jul 21, 2014
e be like say u no get work

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 African Instagram Pictures Of The Week – 6-14 March 2015 / Very Colourful Pictures From Historical Ceremony From The Benin Kingdom Today. E / I Noticed Delta Igbos Have That Wafi Attitude

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.