Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,244 members, 7,807,825 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:01 PM

What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? (5307 Views)

Modernised Hummer Jeep Spotted In Enugu / Made-in-Nigeria Limousine And Hummer Jeep! / Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by ivoryhouse(m): 12:37am On Jul 03, 2014
Hello peeps, its great that our second office is up and running (though I still can't find most of my other threads). Oga Seun we have you covered and will stand by you in this trial period!
That said, the Hummer H1 Alpha has been on my mind for a while now so I want to take a poll, what would you say to someone who wants to buy the tank for use in Lagos, Nigeria? Well, he has 3 other suvs so it will not be used all the time but can be used all week, then some days a week?
He is particularly interested in the 2006 H1 Alpha

Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by peterjero(m): 1:15am On Jul 03, 2014
It won't work well reason
. Too big to do some certain maneuvers, since it's a daily driver and lives in Lagos .
. Since you will be doing city driving, the gas station will be your hangout(no matter how fat your pocket)
. You will always get tired you know why? Because after maneuvering that big beastly unrefined ( I don't hate the vehicle mind you) monster, you certainly will get tired.
. My conclusion take it off road or very long distance and you will find satisfaction, but a daily driver; a no no for me. Thanks.

6 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:11am On Jul 03, 2014
An impossible task except for the most hardy of drivers.

It's ridiculously tedious to drive around, the heft makes for lumbering acceleration and deceleration, the driving view has dead spots all over.

Only a Nigerian will even consider using this in 2014 as a daily driver. I live in California - an automotive state and I haven't seen one this year.

This ranks right up there with the Dodge Viper as the most unreasonable dailies.

Tell your client to start thinking about his footprint on the eco system.

PS: If he wants to demonstrate his wealth, he should look for a hospital and take over the finances of one of the wards in there.

9 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:54am On Jul 03, 2014
^^^ Well said !

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:05am On Jul 03, 2014
Anyone who doesn't bother about maintenance, care about environmental impact, financial implication, safety of people's lives and properties or his own well being would gladly use this as a daily driving car.
Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by xerotop(m): 12:09pm On Jul 03, 2014
A daily driver in sambisa forest of borno state nigeria to bringbackourgirls wouldnt be a bad idea.

6 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 03, 2014
I would NOT advice anyone ANYWHERE to use this as a daily.

I remember sometime last year, a driver of a H3 held up traffic for over 40 minutes. He misjudged a mini roundabout, and got stuck. In trying to manoeuvre back and forth, he caused a 3-mile tail back. Drivers were yelling at him!

The more other road users got browned off, the more this guy panicked. He ended up driving up the kerb, and over someone's front lawn, unfortunately this wasn't the end of his troubles. The road he picked had a width restriction, and his H3 would NOT get through. And there was no way he could reverse, as it was a one-way street.

This was in the UK.

It took the intervention of the local police to restore sanity. The H3 is nowhere as wide as the Hummer 1, and has a better turning circle. Yet this guy got stuck, in a city where rules actually work. Why would anyone in Nigeria wish to use one in crowded cities?

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by Fulaman198(m): 3:16pm On Jul 03, 2014
I would say you must be rich to afford all that petrol in that guzzling vehicle.
Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by Decryptor(m): 3:42pm On Jul 03, 2014
I'll prefer to use this...

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by simiolu1(m): 7:40pm On Jul 03, 2014
Decryptor: I'll prefer to use this...
Bad guy!
Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by sultaan(m): 8:29pm On Jul 03, 2014
Because of all the reasons given above I'll recommend you buy it. Run over all those Toyota and Audi on the road grin who needs roads when you have the H1 cheesy.

That will be a more sensible purchase than some I have seen here it your money remember.

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by ivoryhouse(m): 6:29am On Jul 04, 2014
Well said guys. So what if he uses it some days a week? My client has dreamt of this ride all his life and says in a few months he will be ready to buy, he gives money to hospitals and has quite a number of children on schorlarship so he wants to buy a toy for himself. He accepts the fact that it won't work as a daily driver, @Sienna how are the mechanicals of the H1? Apart from the width issues, can it be modified to move faster?
Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by mastro: 9:52am On Jul 04, 2014
Some dreams are best never realised, the H1 is not a road vehicle. it's not a matter of price it's simply that it's totally unsuitable for road even in Cali, not to talk of Lagos.

Other posters have covered all the main reasons but I will added one more, there is no owners corner, the thing only seats 4 and the back seats are less generous than a G wagon.

Remember when you were 10 and dreamed that one day you would buy a whole sweet shop, well this is exactly the same thing, the fact that a person has the financial means doesn't mean that they should, but i guess there is always the 0.0001% of us who never grow up, I give it 6 months before it becomes a front yard ornament.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jul 04, 2014
ivoryhouse: Well said guys. So what if he uses it some days a week? My client has dreamt of this ride all his life and says in a few months he will be ready to buy, he gives money to hospitals and has quite a number of children on schorlarship so he wants to buy a toy for himself. He accepts the fact that it won't work as a daily driver, @Sienna how are the mechanicals of the H1? Apart from the width issues, can it be modified to move faster?

Then your post is moot.

Good luck to you guys.

PS: Anything can be made faster, it just depends on how much money you have. People have installed airplane jet engines in cars here in the usa.

Heres the company you want for an upgrade (predatorinc dot com)

Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by ivoryhouse(m): 7:15am On Jul 30, 2014
Update: my friend has made some new discoveries about the hummer h1 alpha. GM changed the engine in 2006 to duramax 6.6-liter turbodiesel V8 good for 300 horsepower and 520 pound-feet of torque. He also discovered that there garages in the u.s that can aise the horse power to 500hp with some other modifications. His mind is made up, he will get a 2006 h1, stock. The 2006 jeep commander has 210 horse power so the h1 is faster than the jeep commander , he says to me!
I will post pictures when he takes delivery of the ride.
Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by phillip001(m): 6:13pm On Jun 20, 2016
ivoryhouse:
Update: my friend has made some new discoveries about the hummer h1 alpha. GM changed the engine in 2006 to duramax 6.6-liter turbodiesel V8 good for 300 horsepower and 520 pound-feet of torque. He also discovered that there garages in the u.s that can aise the horse power to 500hp with some other modifications. His mind is made up, he will get a 2006 h1, stock. The 2006 jeep commander has 210 horse power so the h1 is faster than the jeep commander , he says to me!
I will post pictures when he takes delivery of the ride.
my brother this is 2016 times have changed,but for me I must used h1 alpha even if it take me till 2030 to buy one I will,all these keke,okada,danfo and bad road wey get flood join nam,I must use it,tell that california man that need one.
Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by phillip001(m): 6:15pm On Jun 20, 2016
My brother, I need one,what isthe price like.

It's ridiculously tedious to drive around, the heft makes for lumbering acceleration and deceleration, the driving view has dead spots all over.

Only a Nigerian will even consider using this in 2014 as a daily driver. I live in California - an automotive state and I haven't seen one this year.

This ranks right up there with the Dodge Viper as the most unreasonable dailies.

PS: If he wants to demonstrate his wealth, he should look for a hospital and take over the finances of one of the wards in there.
Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by d33types: 4:09pm On Jun 21, 2016
phillip001:
my brother this is 2016 times have changed,but for me I must used h1 alpha even if it take me till 2030 to buy one I will,all these keke,okada,danfo and bad road wey get flood join nam,I must use it,tell that california man that need one.

why resurrect a 2 year old, dormant thread?
Re: What Do You Think Of The Hummer H1 Alpha As A Daily Driver In Lagos, Nigeria? by redcliff: 5:09pm On Jun 21, 2016

Lmao

(1) (Reply)

Custom Paper For A Car Purchased Brand New. / Auto Firms Threaten To Withdraw Palliatives Buses Over Non Payment By Govt / Help My 2005 Honda Accord Is Killing Me With Its Fuel Consumption.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.