Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,436 members, 7,808,560 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

The Day The World Ended - Literature (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Day The World Ended (101569 Views)

The Day The Clouds Turned Red (crime Story) / Naruto Manga Has Finally Ended (Links & Spoilers) / This Books Ended My Struggle (check Them Out) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Day The World Ended by SexySapphire(f): 9:43pm On Sep 23, 2014
Nimen:

lol the more reason he should die, if he dies when he's useless what's the use??

Abeg Oga Roy kill Ayo biko

Pls don't let him die *goes on ma knees to beg Royver*

1 Like

Re: The Day The World Ended by renzyl(f): 10:07pm On Sep 23, 2014
This is getting more scary
Re: The Day The World Ended by Hector90(m): 7:04am On Sep 24, 2014
Royver,u're gud at wat u do.

1 Like

Re: The Day The World Ended by rofemiguwa(f): 8:54am On Sep 24, 2014
Royver hope this will be on okadabooks. Can't wait to read all over again.

So all dose pple didn't make heaven!!

Gees now am scared!!

God abeg ˚°◦ooo☺º°˚˚°ºo!
Re: The Day The World Ended by MCCOYDESTINY(f): 1:43pm On Sep 24, 2014
just passing by great work
Re: The Day The World Ended by MCCOYDESTINY(f): 4:57pm On Sep 24, 2014
abeg wetin do this wonderfull mumsy
Re: The Day The World Ended by Nobody: 5:25pm On Sep 24, 2014
Nimen:
lol the more reason he should die, if he dies when he's useless what's the use??
Abeg Oga Roy kill Ayo biko
Why seekest thou Ayo's death? Biko, if anyone must die, it shouldn't be Ayo! Let him be a living hero.
Re: The Day The World Ended by Spongia1(m): 5:39pm On Sep 25, 2014
I've been reading stories on NL, buh with this I've deviated from the norm. Royver, you are talented!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Day The World Ended by Hector90(m): 11:05pm On Sep 25, 2014
Royver am i welcome?

1 Like

Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 11:07pm On Sep 25, 2014
Loading 100%
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 11:07pm On Sep 25, 2014
Hector90: Royver am i welcome?
Yes you are Hector.
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 11:34pm On Sep 25, 2014
Lunch was over in thirty minutes. There was a sense of urgency in the air although the boys laughed and bantered among themselves as if they were about embarking on a picnic. Sola sat beside me and ate a good portion of food. I could tell she was beginning to feel much better although she was still acting quiet and reserved. I cheered her up by telling her that she would meet her mother again soon, Ayo and the other boys were quite capable of taking good care of her, see as she was being treated as a queen , only her and four hefty guys, and pretty soon she started to laugh. My mom nodded encouragingly at me and offered her more food which she politely refused.

The boys wolfed down their Eba and Ewedu very quickly and also politely declined more food. Emobor’s arm had been bandaged by Deji and despite pleadings from my mom to stay and recover, he insisted on following the group to drop Sola in her place.

Soon they were all ready. Ayo went into the room to see Dad and came out with a reloaded gun. He smiled grimly and put the gun in a holster he had worn around his chest. He seemed very proud to be the one in charge of the cold hard weapon.

“Are you sure you didn’t join any…” I asked nervously. He laughed.

“No, I’ve seen them doing it like this in movies.” He said. “Okay, let’s move out.”

I hugged Sola one last time and bid her goodbye as she went out in the midst of all four boys who were busy laughing and chattering away. A shadow went past the crack in the wall and dad stuck his finger through and waved. The boys waved back and went on down the street. I looked around at the surrounding houses. All our neighbors’ houses had collapsed in great heaps that spotted the terrain here and there. Some people were scavenging among the piles of rubbish but they were not many. I wondered where all the townspeople were, or had they all turned to ashes as well?

Deji passed by me and headed towards Chief Akpati’s house carrying two empty Jerrycans.

“We fetched fuel there yesterday. The filling station is too far away and I don’t think anyone will even be there to sell fuel sef.” He said. “Let me get from Chief Akpati’s private stash and we can always repay him when and if things return to normal.”

“You don’t think he is dead?” I asked. “I thought you said his jeep tumbled down the hill.”

“I said, one of his jeeps.” Deji replied and started trotting off. “And no one knows who was inside."

I went back inside and shut the door.

Dad had come into the parlour and tuned back to CNN. The generator was still rumbling away outside. The wall clock chimed one o’clock. CNN was repeating the interview with the man who claimed to have come from under the Earth. Now, they were showing diagrams of how the Earth was structured according to the under dwellers. 3D animated drawings showed a hollow earth, a sphere inside a bigger sphere, connected together by many pillars, both spheres rotating in tandem with each other. The diagram zoomed in on three of the pillars which had collapsed, thus creating seismic activity and causing the huge Earthquakes. As I watched, the Earth diagram was broken into three different parts, two sections larger than the third.

This is what the Under-dwellers believe will happen to the Earth in a few days time if these earthquakes persist. Geologists and scientists are reviewing the new information to see how authentic it is and If so, what can be done to prevent the End of the World as we know it. Dan Summers, for CNN, Washington.

“Is the Earth going to split apart?” I exclaimed, taking a seat beside dad. He patted me on the back.

“It’s okay. Whatever happens we will be together.” He said.

“But what are our leaders doing about this?” Mom asked from the dining room. “What is Africa doing about it? Are our leaders ready for this kind of wahala?”

“Most of them are leaving the country to America on their private jets.” Dad chuckled. “ Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die.”

“Don’t you know any of your friends that have private jets?” Mom asked. Dad shook his head with a little smile and tuned the channel to our local
news. NTA Lagos showed “Standby”.

“Ah, okay, this is promising; at least these guys might come up soon.” Dad said, settling down into the chair.” Let’s see what is happening in our country.”

“Dad, what about the lookout?” I asked

“It’s hot outside, I doubt they will attack in this blazing sun. But you can keep a lookout and let me know if you see anything suspicious. I just want to rest a bit. Deji will take over when he comes back.”

I nodded and went into the master bedroom. It smelt of iodine and bandages. It was a bit stuffy because of the heat but the ceiling fan was on and I sat directly below it for a while before going to look out the crack in the wall.

There was nothing suspicious happening outside.

I must have stayed there for about thirty minutes, looking outside, wondering about all that had happened, trying not to think of those we had lost, Mr. Abel, Bimpe… Wondering if we would survive all of this or if indeed these were the last days of the World.

Had we missed the rapture? But the Bible didn’t describe anything like earthquakes did it? It dawned on me that it did. What about people disappearing mysteriously in a pile of ashes?

Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust…

But the way I had always envisioned it, the way I think most people envisioned it, was a sudden loud trumpeting in the sky and people suddenly floating into the sky. And there had definitely been no mention of people under the Earth or great snakes…

I recalled the Snake that we had seen swallowing Dare. The terror in his eyes as he ran back and forth, looking for how to escape his predicament. I remember the leather girdle on the neck of the snake and realized it was probably what the under dwellers used for holding onto the snakes while riding them. I tried to imagine what their world would be like, little or no sunlight, what kind of food they ate; the diagram on television had shown a kind of underground ocean so they had enough water to rely on.

They must have been watching us for thousands of years, I thought.

I was looking out of the crack when suddenly the Sun went behind a thick cloud. Everywhere seemed to become even quieter than it had previously been. I spied through the crack at the field outside and immediately saw them come out of the stones and up from the ground, as if the ground was water and they were just surfacing from it. I tried to scream and call out for help but was too terrified to do so. They came up in their thousands and marched towards the house, hissing their strange language to each other. One of them broke through a hole in the ground just in front of our gate, sitting on a huge snake that tore out the ground as it rose. The snake turned and saw me and as I turned to run it struck at the house, destroying everything, sending everyone in it flying, dad, mom, we were all screaming and something grabbed my lag and I screamed the louder…

“Temi, Temi!!! Wake up! You are dreaming!”

I jumped to my feet and realized I had passed out in the bed under the fan. Deji was sitting on Dad’s chair, near the crack and was eating a biscuit even as he looked away from me and towards the crack in the wall.

“How long have I been sleeping?” I asked.

“About two hours.” Deji said quietly. “Dad said not to wake you.”

I stretched and yawned. “Are the boys back yet?” I asked.

“No.” Deji replied. I stood still.

“What? Sola’s house isn’t that far, Thirty minutes at most and they should be back. Have you tried calling?”

“Network is out again.” Deji said.

“WE have to go and look for them!” I shouted.

“Calm down.” Deji said. “The terrain has changed. It can’t take the same time it used to take going to her place before the Earthquake happened and our molehill became a mountain. They should be back soon.”

But I could tell from his tone of voice that he was worried.

4 Likes

Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 12:03am On Sep 26, 2014
I went to the parlor and saw Dad sleeping on the Sofa and mum sitting beside him. The generator was still on and mum had arranged the standing fan to blow on dad as he slept. She nodded at me and got up, going into the kitchen to prepare supper. I wondered where she was getting the zeal from to cook all this food. I think she was trying to use cooking to get our predicament out of her mind. I sat beside dad and enjoyed the cool air from the fan with him.

The television was tuned to CNN and they were repeating most of what we had heard or seen before, the vanishing people, the interview or interrogation of the Under-dweller, the vanishings from the planes and ships and other moving craft. An update showed that Australia had been torn into four parts by the earthquake and one part had been completely submerged by the sea. As the helicopters circled around and showed the carnage and destruction I was shocked at how the world had degenerated. People were not even interested in helping others, just themselves as they scrambled to save their lives. One scene showed a man sitting on top of his house which was floating in the sea and the helicopters being full couldn’t rescue him. He waved at them until he was out of sight.

I picked up the remote and changed the channel. Sky news and other channels were showing essentially the same thing. I tuned once more to
NTA and was surprised to see CNN reruns showing there. At least it showed someone was there and trying to get things up and running.

“Dad? Dad!”

Deji’s voice shot through the house like a bazooka. We were all on our feet at once, Dad limping and jumping hurriedly to the room and me running into mum’s arms. I heard Deji’s voice loud and clear:

“They aren’t going to make it!” Then- “Is that a baby on his back?”

“Get my other rifle.” Dad’s voice sounded very firm. “Check under the bed. Quick!”

I heard some noise as the bed was pushed aside and then some silence, and then a loud bang as Dad let off a shot. Mum held me tighter as I screamed and another shot went off.

“You got them! Quick, there are more running towards Tayo!”

Arnold?

I pried myself loose from my mother’s arms and ran to the front door, throwing it open in a fit of madness.

Ayo, Arnold and James were running with all their might towards the house. Ayo had something strapped to his back and I was trying to make out what it was when I saw what was making them run so fast.
There must have been more than a hundred of them. A whole crowd of them pursuing hotly and slowly catching up. The sun had gone down
considerably and was not affecting them at all. I gasped as Ayo stumbled but steadied himself. The thing he was carrying was slowing him down.
There was no way he would have used his gun, they were just too many.

A group of them broke off and went after James who suddenly swung around, using a big stick to defend himself. They backed off but began pursuit again. Arnold suddenly looked up and saw me. He shouted and waved as a group of them rushed towards him.
A gunshot from dad’s rifle and the one closest to Arnold fell to the ground.

“They are not going to make it!” Deji shouted.

Ayo suddenly stopped and handed his burden to Arnold. It struggled in their hands and I realized it was a baby. Ayo screamed something at Arnold and Ayo and they resumed running while Ayo stood his ground behind them, brandishing a gun and his cutlass.

They surrounded him, allowing Arnold and James to go. I watched in horror as they started taunting him, striking at him with their swords and spears. Ayo pointed the gun and shot into the sky and they withdrew a little. Then he threw the gun on the ground.

“He’s out of bullets!” Deji shouted.

He ran out of the room and went to the kitchen to grab a knife. He would have run out the door if Mum had not clung, screaming, to him.

“Leave me! Mom!”

I just stood there at the door, from the corner of my eye watching Arnold and James approaching and in the background Ayo parried with one of the under-dwellers. They were obviously more skilled with such weapons and soon Ayo clutched at his arm in pain as his cutlass went flying uselessly into the air. The one that had overpowered him rushed forward to finish him when he suddenly jerked backwards and fell dead to the floor.

We all turned in amazement to where the gunshot had come from. Out from behind the huge pile of Chief Akpati’s house’s ruins, a large group of our local vigilante emerged, adorned for battle. They were joined by others who had been watching the scene from their tents and ruins. Old men, young boys, strong youth,a anyone who could walk and carry a weapon joined the vigilantes. Some of them carried rifles and Dane guns, others came with machetes and heavy sticks. Some held leaves in their mouths and others had tied certain strange things to their waists, probably amulets and charms. They charged forward, shooting and shouting as they went.

The under-dwellers seemed to welcome the challenge. Apparently they seemed to enjoy combat. They abandoned Ayo and charged to meet the vigilantes and soon they clashed together in a confused tumble of gunshots, dust and clanging metal.

Arnold and James ran up to us and Arnold handed the baby over to my mother.

“We saw her on the road and couldn’t leave her…”

“My mom carried the baby and backed it without question.

“I’m going back!” James shouted wildly. “I’m going to avenge Emobor!”

“Wait, leave it to the men!” My mom shouted, but he was already running back to the fight.

Arnold looked at me. Dad had left the room and was standing at the entrance of the house with Deji, Mom and I.

“I have to go back too.” He said.

“It is not necessary, Tayo.” My Father said.

Arnold smiled. “I won’t be able to live with myself if I don’t help out in this fight now. I am a man just like those boys there. We are all struggling to survive and I must help in any way that I can.”

I was numb. I felt a strong foreboding and held Arnold’s hand.

“Don’t go!” I said. “Arnold, stay here.”

“See this girl, are you forming you like me now?” He chuckled. Then he suddenly leaned forward and kissed me on the lips.

And yes it was my first kiss.

And yes even in the heat of all that was going on, it was all I hoped it would be.

Time must have stood still because it felt that we had been kissing forever even though in reality it must have lasted only a few seconds. When his lips left mine and I opened my eyes I almost wept as I realized once again the situation we were in.

“Call me Tayo.” He said. “I like it.”

“Tayo.” I echoed.

Arnold took a step back, suddenly realizing my Dad had been there the whole time.

“Sorry Sir.” He said.

MY dad grunted but said nothing.

“Let me go and help your brother.” He said and ran back towards the fighting, picking a shovel at the sode of the road as he went.

My dad had a firm hand on Deji.

“Your brother is representing our family there. There’s no need for you to risk your life as well.” He said.

“But…”

“If anything happens to you who will take care of your mom and sister? Me with this my broken leg? No, son, you are not going anywhere.”

I must have stood at the door for a while because the next thing I knew, mum was touching my shoulder and leading me inside the house. I followed her, albeit reluctantly. I couldn't even make out anybody’s face again in the fight as the tears now running down my cheeks had blurred my sight.

6 Likes

Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 12:08am On Sep 26, 2014
more updates by weekend.
Re: The Day The World Ended by Timcy2(m): 12:10am On Sep 26, 2014
are u 4rm idemili in anambra?
Re: The Day The World Ended by Royver(m): 12:21am On Sep 26, 2014
Timcy2: are u 4rm idemili in anambra?
why asking? tongue
Re: The Day The World Ended by Nobody: 12:24am On Sep 26, 2014
OMG!!! Not Ayo. Not Tayo. Not James. Not anybody. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
You're amazing, Royver. Think I'm in love. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Day The World Ended by Lawconfessor(f): 12:32am On Sep 26, 2014
Royver: more updates by weekend.
I was not expecting to see an update here, but u proved otherwise.

Weldone sir u re great- but I see what others can't see more than what u re doing here.
All same, u gave a good dose.
Re: The Day The World Ended by VivyGift(f): 7:59am On Sep 26, 2014
OMG! This is crazy mehn,,, I'm scared for the boys right now...

Rovyer, you are the best. Keep it up

1 Like

Re: The Day The World Ended by Beennkumar(m): 8:13am On Sep 26, 2014
Okay, why are my eyes getting wet? grin

The second update got me smiling.

1 Like

Re: The Day The World Ended by 01emek(m): 9:04am On Sep 26, 2014
Hehehehe and she got the first wet kiss of her life and probacly the last from that same person.. tongue

1 Like

Re: The Day The World Ended by SexySapphire(f): 9:12am On Sep 26, 2014
Another update dis week? Unbelievable! This is gettin really serious. Tnx Royver for not taking laws into ur hands by killing Ayo. God bless the great writer real good.

Anticipating weekend's update eagerly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Day The World Ended by aboyaji(m): 9:45am On Sep 26, 2014
i just like the way Royver writes. My heart was pounding heavily while reading the second update.

I can play the role of Ayo or Arnold's too

1 Like

Re: The Day The World Ended by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:14am On Sep 26, 2014
Anold get liver o....kissing a soldier's daughter in his presence!!!!..... dude has balls of steel!!...

It's about time the humans Start fighting back!!!

Nice one ROYVER

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Day The World Ended by Timcy2(m): 10:25am On Sep 26, 2014
Are u 4rm idemilì in anambra state.
01emek: Hehehehe and she got the first wet kiss of her life and probacly the last from that same person.. tongue
Re: The Day The World Ended by 01emek(m): 10:33am On Sep 26, 2014
Timcy2: Are u 4rm idemilì in anambra state.
No am not.
Re: The Day The World Ended by Timcy2(m): 10:33am On Sep 26, 2014
Wow, am an old reader b4 d tsunamis of nairaland, never new d thread is back, stumbled upon it ysterday, and am really impressed.

Thanks to nairaland 4 making me read great literary works 4rm ROYVER, SAMMYHOE, KAYEMJAY, GLOWINGSCENES, You guys are d bomb. My day won't be funfilled without reading an update 4rm u guys.

Btw if na so world go end. LORD make me 2 b among d saint.

Hope all dis will be a dream to temi.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Day The World Ended by adebayo201: 10:49am On Sep 26, 2014
Beennkumar: Okay, why are my eyes getting wet? grin

The second update got me smiling.
no be only u waka come oh. I've to hide my wet eyes from my room mates. it's scary and funny!

1 Like

Re: The Day The World Ended by adebayo201: 10:52am On Sep 26, 2014
JeffreyJamez: Anold get liver o....kissing a soldier's daughter in his presence!!!!..... dude has balls of steel!!...

It's about time the humans Start fighting back!!!

Nice one ROYVER

But Jeffrey James nko?!
na mouth e get tongue
Re: The Day The World Ended by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:59am On Sep 26, 2014
adebayo201:

But Jeffrey James nko?!
na mouth e get tongue

You Don come again! grin grin...stalker of life wink
Re: The Day The World Ended by Cashio(m): 11:18am On Sep 26, 2014
well done roy

1 Like

Re: The Day The World Ended by nkemie: 11:50am On Sep 26, 2014
I'm amazed at the way you keep us wanting for more. This is brilliant... Kudos man.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (32) (Reply)

The Brand Of Cain (A Complete Novel) / #my Life / Tormented

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.