Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,352 members, 7,808,233 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:10 AM

Avoiding Temptations While Befriending Sinners - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Avoiding Temptations While Befriending Sinners (1793 Views)

Hell Will Be Hotter For Deeper Life Sinners - W.F. Kumuyi / 10 Ways Sinners Celebrate Easter- By Tosyne2much / Temptations Vs Our Sight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Avoiding Temptations While Befriending Sinners by Daddypearl: 4:13pm On Oct 06, 2008
This is a topic that generated a heated debate during the men's fellowship meeting two weeks ago in my church. I'll also like to have your views.

As christains, how do we avoid sin and at the same time befriend sinners. Is it possible to avoid them completely in this present time? To what level can we go with them especially if they are the ones to decide?

Let's discuss.
Re: Avoiding Temptations While Befriending Sinners by OBVIOUS(m): 5:59pm On Oct 06, 2008
Even if a christian did not befriend a sinner, a christian cannot avoid sin. Doesnt the bible state that we are all sinners and have come short of the glory of god. If christians did not befriend sinners, I'm certain that the next conversation would become a competition and discussion of holiness/ "how holier are you than the next christian" my problem with Nigerian christians is that most are extremely judgemental and this is among the reasons why there are many hypocrites in the churches and everywhere,

like a good friend of mine said, almost every one in Nigeria goes to church/or attends a crusade. now tell me who and where is the devil.

Plus I should add, most of the people Nigerians work for are not christians, dangote, okoya, the white men who own businesses in Nigeria, and co, A human being is an human being and I don't see how befriending a sinner will make one commit or aviod sin.

This should be more of a question of your ideals and moral.
Re: Avoiding Temptations While Befriending Sinners by huxley(m): 6:18pm On Oct 06, 2008
Does Paul give an injunction for followers of Jesus to NOT fratenize with non-believers? I may be mistaken, but I cannot remember the chapter&verse. So guys, help me out.
Re: Avoiding Temptations While Befriending Sinners by huxley(m): 6:30pm On Oct 06, 2008
Found it;

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? , Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord." --
2 Cor.6:14-17

In fact, there may be another more specific verse, but I can't find it.
Re: Avoiding Temptations While Befriending Sinners by Lady2(f): 7:53pm On Oct 06, 2008
Even if a christian did not befriend a sinner, a christian cannot avoid sin. Doesnt the bible state that we are all sinners and have come short of the glory of god. If christians did not befriend sinners, I'm certain that the next conversation would become a competition and discussion of holiness/ "how holier are you than the next christian" my problem with Nigerian christians is that most are extremely judgemental and this is among the reasons why there are many hypocrites in the churches and everywhere,

like a good friend of mine said, almost every one in Nigeria goes to church/or attends a crusade. now tell me who and where is the devil.

Plus I should add, most of the people Nigerians work for are not christians, dangote, okoya, the white men who own businesses in Nigeria, and co, A human being is an human being and I don't see how befriending a sinner will make one commit or aviod sin.

This should be more of a question of your ideals and moral

You hit the nail on the head.

The best way to avoid sin is to be chaste. I just hope people know what Chaste means, and no it doesn't only include not having sex, that is abstinence.
Chaste means being pure in thought, word, and deed, and in all you do, not just in a relationship. It can be in music, movies, and all.

@ Huxley, the fraternizing Paul speaks of is not adopting their belief, also Paul was speaking to a certain people.
There were groups of people that were not strong in their faith, those are the people that Paul recommends to not fraternize with unbelievers. But for those who are strong in the faith there is nothing wrong with that type of fraternizing, just don't fraternize their unbelief.
Re: Avoiding Temptations While Befriending Sinners by Daddypearl: 10:48am On Oct 07, 2008
''But for those who are strong in the faith there is nothing wrong with that type of fraternizing, just don't fraternize their unbelief.''

Ref your comment above, The bible says iron sharpeneth iron - Proverbs 27:17. How would Iron sharpen wood? Solomon tried and but for the covenant God made with his father, he would have been languishing in hell by now.

For Instance - I work in an environment where bribery is the order of the day and as a christian I have decided to make my impact felt by standing out but sometimes see myself dining with this same people. what do you think goes on in their mind? Does it mean I have to completely stay away from them and avoid their gathering?
Re: Avoiding Temptations While Befriending Sinners by tpia5: 2:23am On Oct 02, 2013
assuming someone says she wants to join a church but her mode of dressing is like this:

http://nehandaradio.com/2013/04/27/mini-skirts-and-the-church/

should the church refrain from correcting her, or just ignore the dressing since its her heart God is interested in, we are told.

and besides, she'll feel judged and unwelcome if corrected, right?

however, in the movie pretty Woman, Julia Roberts dressed properly to the horse racing thingy, she did not wear her hooker outfits, and that wasnt even a church. She also upgraded her wardrobe when she got off the streets?
Re: Avoiding Temptations While Befriending Sinners by tpia5: 2:35am On Oct 02, 2013
Daddypearl: This is a topic that generated a heated debate during the men's fellowship meeting two weeks ago in my church. I'll also like to have your views.

As christains, how do we avoid sin and at the same time befriend sinners. Is it possible to avoid them completely in this present time? To what level can we go with them especially if they are the ones to decide?

Let's discuss.

i think as long as you dont compromise your beliefs, and you are alert to the possibility of falling (ie not saying it can never happen- especially for men, they are very susceptible to peer pressure), then you can probably relate with others in a general setting.

however, most christians would prefer to keep a distance mostly due to the issue of being tempted or falling into the wrong company.

(1) (Reply)

Would Soldiers Go To Heaven Or Hell? / Any Muslim that does not Believe in Jesus is not a Muslim! / Angel Of Death Erupts From Chile's Volcano(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.