Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,865 members, 7,802,779 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:23 PM

DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) (48561 Views)

My True Life Story On Finding An 11-Year-Old Lost Child - Chocolateme (Pics) / A 2 Day Old Baby Abandoned By The Roadside Named After Okoya-Thomas / Lessons To Learn From The Life Of Bode Thomas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by tlanry: 10:34am On Jul 03, 2014
A Lesson on humility to learn from the story of Bode Thomas...

Bode Thomas, yes, the same Bode Thomas, whom the Surulere street was named after, died on Nov 23, 1953 in a most mysterious manner.
Bode Thomas was born to a wealthy trader, John thomas in 1918. Himself, FRA Williams and Remi Fani-Kayode (Father of Femi Fani-Kayode) attended Law School in London, and they established the first law firm in Nigeria, called "Thomas, Williams and Kayode".The law firm was established in Jankara, Lagos.
Bode Thomas was an excellent lawyer, but he was also very arrogant. Because of his education, he was made chairman of the Oyo Divisional Council at one time, while the King of Oyo, Alaafin Adeyemi, (the father of the current Alaafin) was a mere member.
On Bode Thomas' first appearance in council after being appointed chairman, all council members stood up for him in deference, to welcome him, except Oba Adeyemi, who, for cultural reasons, should not show deference to anyone in public, not even his mother.
Bode Thomas rudely shouted at the King"...WHY WERE YOU SITTING WHEN I WALKED IN? YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO SHOW RESPECT?"
At that time, Bode Thomas was 34 years, while the Alaafin was in his 60's. The Alaafin felt very insulted. He said "SE EMI LO NGBO MO BAUN?" (Is it me that you are barking at like that?)Bode Thomas responded by shouting some english sentences which the Alaafin didnt understand, so the Alaafin just told him... "MA GBO LO" (continue barking). The confrontation happened on November 22, 1953. Bode Thomas got home and started barking.
He barked and barked and barked like a dog all night until he died in the early morning of November 23, 1953.
Bode Thomas was the Balogun of Oyo. So, when next you drive on Bode Thomas street in Surulere, remember that man, who cut short his own life because of his arrogance and naughtiness.

@Moderator, kindly put dis post in the right section because i dont knw which section exactly it should be and i also recommend it as a front page material so that people will knw pride comes before destruction, that humility will take them to high places no matter what!!![email][/email]

20 Likes 11 Shares

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by simpleseyi: 8:37pm On Jul 03, 2014
Unfortunately the above story seems to be true, but I heard it was Fani-Kayode that barked to death. I think there is a mixed-up somewhere.

1 Like

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by armyofone(m): 9:02pm On Jul 03, 2014
There might have been some health issues.
Some viruses could attack your lungs and make your voice hoarse or something.

3 Likes

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by xclntmoda(f): 9:11pm On Jul 03, 2014
Hmmm, it is wa oo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by Ariyke: 12:11am On Jul 04, 2014
Big waaa
Not good to b rude

1 Like 1 Share

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by jeffizy(m): 9:09am On Jul 04, 2014
simpleseyi: Unfortunately the above story seems to be true, but I heard it was Fani-Kayode that barked to death. I think there is a mixed-up somewhere.
Actually , it was Bode Thomas that it happened to.
A pity such occurrence still exist in this present day. Where the King tolerates no form of disrespect . No forgiveness.
I ask , to what end does causing or wishing another man dead justify?

1 Like

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by Lucasbalo(m): 7:47pm On Jul 04, 2014
Growing up at Bode Thomas street in surulere, I heard about it. It's sad to waste what was supposed to be a great life for not being able to show humility. Humility goes a long way in life.

7 Likes

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by WinsomeX: 1:24pm On Oct 15, 2014
Please how true is this story? What is the source of the OP? Do we have older people here who can confirm it? Did any paper tell the story then? Why are we depending on some kind of oral tradition?

5 Likes

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by adet991(f): 11:00pm On Oct 15, 2014
WinsomeX:
Please how true is this story? What is the source of the OP? Do we have older people here who can confirm it? Did any paper tell the story then? Why are we depending on some kind of oral tradition?
doubting thomas

3 Likes

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by greatgod2012(f): 12:03am On Oct 16, 2014
Even the bible condemns arrogancy, it says......."pride goes before destruction"

Not justifying what the king did though, but then, goes a long way to confirm that pride is one of the short route to destruction and humility exalts.
May God help us all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by Kunbee: 1:04am On Oct 16, 2014
Maybe he was bitten by a rabid dog undecided undecided undecided

And which proper Yoruba person doesn't know kings neither greet nor acknowledge in public

2 Likes

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by sod09(m): 6:28am On Oct 16, 2014
wat I heard was bode Thomas entered d king room without knocking and met him(king) naked.....its a taboo to see a king naked,even his wives can't
Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by DollyParton1(f): 9:50am On Oct 16, 2014
Kunbee:
Maybe he was bitten by a rabid dog undecided undecided undecided

And which proper Yoruba person doesn't know kings neither greet nor acknowledge in public

You haven't met those returnee, they act whiter than the whites themselves. So white washed.
And chai, u know say jazz dey for Yoruba land, and back then to be a yoruba king especially of the Oyo empire, you must have gone through some spiritual fortifications, kings then were orisas.
And based on this particular story, Bode Thomas had every reason to be arrogant.
1.He was trained in the UK.
2. Studied Law in the UK.
3. Established the country's first legal chamber or whatever they call it.
4.He was made the chairman of some governing council.
5.A king was his subordinate in the council.
6. Imagine the kind of respect, honour, glory and adoration that would has been accorded unto him.
Judging by the way Barristers/Lawyers are respected these days, I bet they would have been gods then, they would have been literally worshiping him.

He probably just let all those things get into his head.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by Kunbee: 11:56pm On Oct 16, 2014
^^^We shall never know the true story o but i wont be surprised
Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by NeuroBoss(m): 2:53am On Oct 17, 2014
This is vintage history! You forgot to ask that the Alaafin too was humiliated and deposed in retaliation.
Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by WinsomeX: 6:06am On Oct 17, 2014
NeuroBoss:
This is vintage history! You forgot to ask that the Alaafin too was humiliated and deposed in retaliation.

Interesting. Please share the story. I searched Google and its unbelievable the death of information on this matter.
Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by WinsomeX: 6:16am On Oct 17, 2014
It was in this circumstance that Colonel Adeyinka Adebayo replaced Lt-Col. Adekunle Fajuyi, a gallant officer who sacrificed his life in the defence of his Commander-in-Chief Major- General Johnson Thomas Aguiyi-Ironsi. It was under his watch that the appointment of His Royal Majesty Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Atanda Adeyemi as Alaafin of Oyo was made. It was not without opposition from those who wanted to continue the fight against Lamidi’s father, the Alaafin of Oyo, who was deposed and exiled in
1954 for being a sympathiser of the NCNC
(National Council of Nigerian Citizens). This brought Oba Adeyemi II, the father of Lamidi into some conflict with the deputy leader of the Action Group, the young dynamic aristocratic Bode Thomas who hailed from Oyo. Unfortunately Chief Bode Thomas died and since that time, Oba Adeyemi’s father, the Alaafin was in the bad books of the Action Group

www.thenationonlineng.net/archive2/tblnews_Detail.php?id=66248

Found a piece of info from that link. Guess it was the root of bad blood btw Awo and the Alaafin of Oyo.
Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by Ishilove: 1:19am On Oct 18, 2014
armyofone:
There might have been some health issues.
Some viruses could attack your lungs and make your voice hoarse or something.
Do you actually believe what you have typed??

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by free2ryhme: 2:58am On Oct 18, 2014
food for thought
Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by armyofone(m): 3:03am On Oct 18, 2014
Yes, I do. There are scientific explanations for every illness.

Ishilove:

Do you actually believe what you have typed??

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by Rainmaker69(m): 4:24am On Oct 18, 2014
Nigerians are so gullible. This is an old wives tale. A discerning mind can tell where the facts end and where the 'tales' begin.

@op: there are more tangible and concrete ways to teach humility without attacking another's legacy with bogus, unverified stories.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by Nobody: 6:59am On Oct 18, 2014
Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by lolaluv1(f): 7:09am On Oct 18, 2014
True or not, Nigeria has a very rich history. It's a shame what the country has become.
Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by Bootybuttchic(f): 8:39am On Oct 18, 2014
tlanry:
A Lesson on humility to learn from the story of Bode Thomas...

Bode Thomas, yes, the same Bode Thomas, whom the Surulere street was named after, died on Nov 23, 1953 in a most mysterious manner.
Bode Thomas was born to a wealthy trader, John thomas in 1918. Himself, FRA Williams and Remi Fani-Kayode (Father of Femi Fani-Kayode) attended Law School in London, and they established the first law firm in Nigeria, called "Thomas, Williams and Kayode".The law firm was established in Jankara, Lagos.
Bode Thomas was an excellent lawyer, but he was also very arrogant. Because of his education, he was made chairman of the Oyo Divisional Council at one time, while the King of Oyo, Alaafin Adeyemi, (the father of the current Alaafin) was a mere member.
On Bode Thomas' first appearance in council after being appointed chairman, all council members stood up for him in deference, to welcome him, except Oba Adeyemi, who, for cultural reasons, should not show deference to anyone in public, not even his mother.
Bode Thomas rudely shouted at the King"...WHY WERE YOU SITTING WHEN I WALKED IN? YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO SHOW RESPECT?"
At that time, Bode Thomas was 34 years, while the Alaafin was in his 60's. The Alaafin felt very insulted. He said "SE EMI LO NGBO MO BAUN?" (Is it me that you are barking at like that?)Bode Thomas responded by shouting some english sentences which the Alaafin didnt understand, so the Alaafin just told him... "MA GBO LO" (continue barking). The confrontation happened on November 22, 1953. Bode Thomas got home and started barking.
He barked and barked and barked like a dog all night until he died in the early morning of November 23, 1953.
Bode Thomas was the Balogun of Oyo. So, when next you drive on Bode Thomas street in Surulere, remember that man, who cut short his own life because of his arrogance and naughtiness.

@Moderator, kindly put dis post in the right section because i dont knw which section exactly it should be and i also recommend it as a front page material so that people will knw pride comes before destruction, that humility will take them to high places no matter what!!![email][/email]
grin undecided so thats were nls j.t came from

hmm arrogance very bad......shout out to them girls that think arrogance is fashion.....trully people shld learn from this......some people just cuss too much

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by Bootybuttchic(f): 8:46am On Oct 18, 2014
the tongue is indeeed powerful........heard a similar story once,policeman slapped an old man,and the man told him he will keep slaping till he dies,and the man kept slapping the tarred road ,u knw the rest .. ...

2 Likes

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by Bootybuttchic(f): 8:48am On Oct 18, 2014
so that bode thomass.i always pass was named after an arrogant man,he doesnt deserve the street bearing is name angry

....he didnt even witness independence ...oma se o
Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by topsyking: 11:03am On Oct 18, 2014
some pple just wake up and write rubbish story about my great great uncle bode thomas... it sad many people believe this write up by the op.. it is nothing but fake story with no source whatsoever.. bode thomas never bark to death..its a myth.. just to clarify the mixed up.. cya

8 Likes

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by WinsomeX: 4:41pm On Oct 18, 2014
topsyking:
some pple just wake up and write rubbish story about my great great uncle bode thomas... it sad many people believe this write up by the op.. it is nothing but fake story with no source whatsoever.. bode thomas never bark to death..its a myth.. just to clarify the mixed up.. cya

THIS IS WHAT I have been waiting for. Please tell us the true story of the circumstance surrounding his death.

1 Like

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by armadeo(m): 5:12pm On Oct 18, 2014
topsyking:

Oya family member come talk your own.

4 Likes

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by Rainmaker69(m): 12:29pm On Oct 19, 2014
armadeo:

Oya family member come talk your own.

Find it here:
https://www.nairaland.com/1956467/lessons-learn-life-bode-thomas
Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by WinsomeX: 2:31pm On Oct 19, 2014
^^^

Rainmaker69:
Bode Thomas: 55 Years After
By EMMANUEL OLADESU

Published 24th November, 2008

He was a nationalist who fought along with other compatriots for independence. But, Chief Olabode Thomas died seven years before the realisation of that dream. He was barely 34; young, agile and promising. His ideas survived him, serving as beacons of hope for a distraught nation.

He came, stayed briefly and went back to his maker at the age of 34 years. But, at that prime age, Olabode Thomas, frontline lawyer, nationalist politician and former Federal Transport Minister, had accomplished what men who lived for a century could not achieve in an entire life time.
Fifty-five years after the demise of the Balogun of Oyo, his name continues to ring a bell. The magnetism has endured. The pain of the irreparable loss lingered.

It was a black day in the Western Region. Thomas was a colourful political megastar. His speeches in the pre-independence parliament remain legendary. His robust political ideas are evergreen. And the generation that ignored his warnings about the rejection of regionalism have since kissed the dust. Younger generations only think of Thomas in terms of a street named after him in Surulere, Lagos Mainland. Young students of politics come across him daily in books. When danfo drivers plying the route were asked who the politician was, they all said he may have been one of the big men in those days. He was more than that to the polity.
If he had been alive in 1959, he would have succeeded Chief Obafemi Awolowo as Premier of the Western Region. And the region would have been saved from the rebellion of the late Chief Ladoke Akintola, the Aare Ona Kankanfo of Yoruba.

Thomas was born in 1921, four years after the amalgamation by Governor Frederick Lugard, to a wealthy, trader who had migrated from Oyo. He was privileged from childhood. He attended the C.M.S. Grammar School, a missionary school founded by Bishop Ajayi Crowther. When he left the school, he started work at the Nigerian Railway Corporation. In 1939, he went to London to study law. His huge frame earned him the appellation "buldozer". Whenever he set a positive goal for himself, every obstacle on the way must be uprooted.
His successes in law practice, politics and government were hinged on his sheer resolve to triumph in the face of all odds. Perhaps, that also was why he was always controversial. He was a founding leader of Egbe Omo Oduduwa and Action Group which sprang up from the socio-cultural organisation. He was the first Legal Adviser of the group.

Before the formation of the chain groups, Thomas, an erudite speaker had made his mark as a member of the Nigerian Youth Movement. There, he promoted debates on contentious national issues. Long before his colleagues could digest the dictionary meaning of federalism, he had opposed it by making strong expositions for strong regional based political parties. Thomas’ idea was that only a coalition at the centre was necessary, pointing out that the people of the diverse regions should only be equipped with skills, knowledge and opportunities to develop their regions. To him, that would also engender a healthy competition.

As the Legal Adviser of Egbe Omo Oduduwa and later Secretary-General of AG, he had advocated for the laying of modern governmental foundation on the traditional pillars held by the natural rulers. That was the baseline for enlisting the support of native chiefs and kings into the Action Group. The fruit of that policy was first harvested by the party in 1951. When AG was launched, the ceremony, which had the blessing of major traditional rulers in the old South-West, was held at Owo, with the Olowo, Sir Olateru-Olagbegi as host. The strategy became a potent framework for mass mobilisation in many Yoruba, Itsekiri, Edo, Kwara and Kogi towns. Full-time politics was not the vogue in Thomas’ days. 

Politics then was a vocation. Thus, he consolidated his hold on the Bar. The eminent lawyer became a Queen’s Counsel (QC) before many of his peers. He had endowed Jankara Street, in the heart of Lagos, with visibility when he and his friends, the meticulous Rotimi Williams and the rascally, yet deep and witty Remi Fani-Kayode set up a chamber in partnership in 1950. Thomas was ahead of them all. He was a Senior at the bar to the late Chief Obafemi Awolowo, his bossom friend, political soul mate and leader, Chief Hezekiah Oladipo Davies, Justice GBA Coker, and Udo Udoma, a former federal parliamentarian and jurist. But, a hot-tempered fellow, he was perceived in some circles as a bully, a successful, yet arrogant lawyer and a domineering figure. Some judges loathed his style of argument in the court.

But, he was full of masterful logic. The political tempest of the early days sought to consume his political career. He had joined the political vanguard at a time the political platform was not clear. As the Nigerian Youth Movement was fading away, thoughts on how to establish a new political organisation pre-occupied him and his contemporaries who refused to team up with Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe. Zik was a popular politician, held in awe in Lagos. He was not a Yoruba, although he spoke the language fluently. Early politicians in Lagos could not easily break his hold on the city. The alternative left to them was to seek political refuge and relevance in the virgin political lands hitherto controlled by the Sole Native Authorities abolished by the Western Regional Government. To accommodate the new comers, the Sole Native Authority was democratized. As a historian recalled: "The small fish in the big waters of Lagos politics became big fish in the small provincial waters and new alliances of the natural rulers, and middle class professionals invaded the grassroots structures of administration.

"Bode Thomas sought and was given the office of Balogun of Oyo, not so much because he wanted to heal the demands of the reforms against the most obscurantist of the first class rulers in the West as because the road to regional and central legislatures must, for him, as for other anti-Zik Lagos politicians, begin from a Native Authority Area."

On May 1951, the AG, Lagos branch was inaugurated. The register showed that only 15 people were pioneer members, and Thomas was one of them. All of them were leaders of NYM – Dr. Akintola Maja, Akanni Doherty, Jonathan Odebiyi, Ladoke Akintola, Arthur Prest, Sir Kofo Abayomi, Rotimi Williams, Alhaji Jibril Martins-Kuye, Sule Gbadamosi, M.A. Ogun, Alfred Rewane, Lady Oyinkan Abayomi, S.O. Sonibare and Ladipo Amos. The popularity of Zik’s National Convention of Nigerian Citizens (NCNC) dwarfed the new party in Lagos. But its formation was a right step in the right direction. The NYM and Egbe Omo Oduduwa were inadequate to play the role of a regionally based nationalistic political party envisaged by Awolowo and Thomas.

In his book, "Path to Nigerian Freedom," Awo had emphasized "cultural nationality" so that the regions should develop its political institutions within the frame work of the Nigerian federation. Awo said it was the natural right of the educated minority of each cultural group "to lead their fellow nationals into higher political development"
AG was not a party of intellectually barren power–seekers it was serious business. The leaders drew up captivating welfarist programmes to attract the people of the West.
When policy papers were to be prepared, the party identified the major subjects – education, agriculture, labour, industries and public works. Awo turned in papers on local government, local courts and agriculture. Ayodele Rosiji, who later succeeded Thomas as National General Secretary, wrote papers on industries and public works. Thomas wrote on transport. He became a member of Regional House of Assembly in 1951. From there, he, Prest and Akintola were selected as members of the House of Representatives. Sir Adesoji Aderemi, Ooni of Ife also joined them in the Central Council of Ministers. But, Thomas was the leader; astute, workaholic, thoughtful and forward-looking. On the floor, Thomas was a charismatic speaker. He was a lover of facts. He was a fire brand nationalist. He wanted self-rule and independence at a faster pace his colleagues from other zones could not comprehend. During the debate on self-rule, his speech infuriated the legislators from the North. Thomas labelled them collaborators in the extension of British rule.

He did not only speak; he acted. Thomas and the three AG parliamentarians consequently resigned from the Council of Ministers in protest over the elongation of colonialism. On that note, the MacPherson Constitution collapsed immediately.

In the quest to preserve Lagos as part of the old West, Thomas was also at the forefront. In contrast, H.O. Davies was campaigning vigorously for the retention of Lagos as a symbol of national unity. At the 1953 London Constitutional Conference held in August, AG vigorously campaigned for the preservation of Lagos as part and parcel of the region. Awo, the AG leader and Thomas, Deputy Leader of the party, were delegates to the conference. The party also printed and distributed pamphlets in some cities to sensitise the people. The message was: "Lagos belongs to the West.’ Awo was very rigid on the issue. Rosiji’s biographer, Nina Mba, a historian, stated that "Awo’s rigidity on this issue can be attributed to Thomas’ influence. His (Thomas’) toughness rubbed off on Awolowo, even though usually, Awo’s toughness rubbed off on others.’
Thomas was also at ideological loggerheads with Rosiji. Both differed on their views about "federalism". While Rosiji favoured a federalism in which the majority of powers would be delegated to the centre, Thomas believed in regionalism. In fact, the AG deputy leader canvassed confederation. In later years, Rosiji moderated his views when federalism failed in Nigeria. That shift in position was a tribute to the foresight of Thomas.
Rosiji said: "We inherited and endorsed the British created federation and those of us in the South thought that it was the best system. We had read all the books on federalism and debated them at length at the various constitutional conferences. We were enclosed in the Westminster strait jacket and couldn’t see beyond it. It failed us. What was the advantage of insisting on maintaining such a huge country just because the British wanted more resources to share?’ Thomas’ view on regionalism later shaped Zik’s opinion. It was an afterthought. Zik shifted from his strict unitarist ideas to federalism, drawing enormous lessons from the compelling reality of a shallow unity imposed by the forceful amalgamation of the antagonist and incompatible social formations.
Awo who held Thomas in high esteem placed him on the pedestal of leaders who could see beyond the moment. He had observed while paying tribute during his funeral that whenever Thomas’ line of thought was rejected, the political family had often regretted it after some time. The antagonists of Thomas’ viewpoints must be prepared for debate and war of words. If you don’t share his view, he would turn the heat on you. On strict political issues he canvassed, he once had confrontation with Babatunde Jose, a senior journalist in the fifties, who sought to probe his ideas.

Thomas and Ahmadu Bello, Premier of the North, were also not the best of friends. He had defended the Sardauna of Sokoto before the colonial court over allegations of financial embezzlement of Native Authorities funds. Thomas won the case. But, he was perplexed that the Sokoto prince fret in the court room. Bello’s recurrent unpleasant encounter with Thomas made him to conclude that his more qualified educated rivals in the South were very pompus and arrogant. Many believed that Bello was reacting to that complex by refusing to come down to Lagos to serve as Prime Minister. Thus, while Thomas was universally acknowledged as an accomplished lawyer, he was also perceived as arrogant and supercilious. He was hated by his peers from the North to the extent that Bello always preferred to communicate with Akintola to Thomas. As noted by Mba, Thomas’ lack of interpersonal skill was glaring. But, he earned commendation, even from his political foes, for "his articulacy as an exponent of a particular political philosophy".
Throughout, "he was a conservative who favoured power to the traditional rulers, the promotion of capitalism and development of the regime rather than the federation".

Thomas died in controversial circumstance. It was a chain of events that led to his death. According to an account by Davies, there was a protracted feud between him and Alaafin Adeyemi II, the father of the current Alaafin Lamidi Adeyemi III. Both Alhaji Adeyemi and Thomas were members of the Oyo Divisional Council. At a time, the respected ruler was chairman. Later, Thomas became the chairman when the Oba was still a member. Davies stated in his look that when Thomas arrived at the meeting of the council, all the other councillors, except Oba Adeyemi, stood up to welcome him. He then asked from the royal father while he was sitting down, after reminding him that when he (oba) held forte as chairman, he gave him the respect. The Oba felt insulted.
Davies who gave the account was Alaafin’s friend. In later years, his son, Lamidi, lived with him in Lagos while attending St. Gregory’s College, Obalende. Thomas later fell ill. He died on November 23 without realising his full potential as a leader. He was mourned by his Oyo kinsmen, the political class and the emerging professional class.

The AG Government of Awolowo lamented his demise. His death created a big vacuum. "I was in school when he (Thomas) died. I was at Okitipupa, in the present Ondo State. His death was painful to the people of Western Region," recalled Bisi Akande, Action Congress (AC) National Chairman. He paid tribute to him as "a brilliant lawyer who saved Ahmadu Bello from imprisonment, shortly before he became a federal minister." "We were told he was a very fierce debater, so much that the British members of the cabinet were always uncomfortable each time he was contributing to a debate. We knew him to be a famous chief of Oyo, the Balogun," Akande added.

Among the children who survived Thomas, two stood out – the late Dapo Bode Thomas, former member of Lagos State House of Assembly and later Political Adviser to former Governor Bola Tinubu and Mrs Eniola Fadayomi, two-time Commissioner in Lagos State‎‎

4 Likes

Re: DEATH OF Bode Thomas PORTRAYS PRIDE kills, humility spares(A True Life Story) by WinsomeX: 3:25pm On Oct 19, 2014
^^^ So he was not so much a villain after all.

The account of his death in the report above does not seem to contradict the OP. Does it?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ajibola And Adeboye Taiwo And Their Sextuplets (Photos) / Married Men Asking Single Guys For Help. / My Genotype Is AS And My Fiancee Is AS; What Do I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.