Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:24 AM

Letz Learn Something - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Letz Learn Something (887 Views)

Letz Learn Something 6 - The Ternary Operator / Let's Learn Something 5: Flash Abuse / Let's Learn Something 2 - The Importance Of Specifying A Doc Type (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letz Learn Something by yawatide(f): 4:51pm On Oct 06, 2008
It's been a while.  I figured I restart it in light of *some people* saying all I do is criticize.

Actually, this is more in form of a question:

I have a page.  Page has a form with fields.  I also have a flash movie that, based on certain actions, flies onto screen and over the form.  Problem? Form fields bleed through the flash movie.

Solution?  I don't want the form fields to bleed through the flash movie. It doesn't look professional at all. This is where you come in.

I await your responses.
Re: Letz Learn Something by AbidemiA: 8:49pm On Oct 06, 2008
Try set the stack order of the elements with z-index.
Re: Letz Learn Something by yawatide(f): 9:27pm On Oct 06, 2008
Nice answer and that is exactly what I did when I first encountered the problem.  Guess what?  I forget which but it worked in one browser but not the other so I had to go back to the chopping board.  I am afraid I will have to strike down this answer.

Good answer though.  Again, it's the first thing I did though it didn't work cross-browser.

To clarify:
When the flash movie zooms into view (by means of a trigger which was clicking on a link on the page), it covers half the form, leaving the other half below it visible.  This doesn't necessarily change the equation or drop any hints.  Just an FYI.

More answers please.  This first one definitely got the ball rolling in the right direction.
Re: Letz Learn Something by uspry1(f): 9:31pm On Oct 06, 2008
Are you build a web form with fields in Flash using PHP, Flash Form components and actionscript?

If yes, OH THAT IS EASY! Here is a HOW-TO tutorial link at below:

http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Flash/Building-Web-Forms-In-Flash/

I built my own web form in Flash to employ actions/behaviors resulting in PHP, MySQL, and Flash Actionscript on the fly Flash-based website many times---other than Contact Form. I built web forms for protected pages with secured login access system, questionnaires, registration, price quotes, and all kind of pre-printed repeated manual form converting into dynamically!

For cross-browser compatible, you will need to add script accepting all browsers using Javascript or PHP that support in Flash.
Re: Letz Learn Something by yawatide(f): 9:39pm On Oct 06, 2008
uspry1,

I don't quite understand where you are coming from but I have read the article.  Though it makes sense, it didn't apply to my situation. 

More clarification:
The form already existed as HTML on the site I was working on.  The flash movie was sent over by a third party who had paid for advertising on the site.  In essence, we were not about to rework our HTML form (responsible for 80% of our revenue at the time) for a flash movie that would last just for a few weeks.  Also, this probably doesn't mean anything, but the site was in JSP.

Even More Clarification:
This isn't a recent problem.  It is something I had to deal with in april 2007.  The solution is already out there so I am not posting this seeking a solution.  I am only posting to share a solution that I think was pretty slick for what I was trying to accomplish.  I am trying to get us to think outside of the box.

Again, good answer but not quite what I am looking for.  I feel it's getting close though  cool
Re: Letz Learn Something by yawatide(f): 8:14pm On Oct 07, 2008
Well, no more responses so let me state how I took care of the problem:

As I said, the form covered half the form fields. After trying everything, it hit me that I could take advantage of a CSS property via javascript: visibility: visible/hidden.

Short digression:
For those who don't know, visibility: visible/hidden and display: block do pretty much the same thing. The difference is that whereas the former preserves the space of "disappearing" elements, the latter removes it altogether, causing the remaining elements to "rise to the top" to take up the space.

So I ran a javascript loop through the form elements and stopped the loop at the form element just below the botom of the flash movie. Then for each of those, I did "visibility: hidden". This was triggered when I did on onclick of the link that ushered in the flash movie. Something like this:

for(i=0; i<=formfields.length;i++) {
formfield.style.visibility= "hidden"
}

by the way, I also changed the text of the link from the original "click to open" to "click to close". then wen you click the "close", i have another onclick function that reverses the visibility of the form fields to "visible".

That's how i did it. Though it was a year ago, if anyone, given my constraints at the time, has a better way, do share so I and others can use it on future projects. If you have any questions as well, post them here.

Thanks
Re: Letz Learn Something by aphoe(m): 8:58pm On Oct 14, 2008
@ yawa-ti-de

i dey always trip when i read your posts. you are one of the first female programmers i have seen. and you are very good. (judging from your posts). and besides you are based in Ijebu ode. i dey trip gan-an!!

i will like to meet you o. 07039133733/08058562158 are my digits. your can check my profile at
http://www.mcquillonline.com/apole/legunsen_cv_april08_lag.pdf

[b]PS:[/b]Nothing more than platonic friendship intended. just in case some wild 'minded' creatures are reading this post
Re: Letz Learn Something by yawatide(f): 9:51pm On Oct 14, 2008
wild minded? LMAO! What do you mean? Like wild monkey dance? ROFLMAO!

Sure, u can contact me via YIM. I await.

(1) (Reply)

New Websites Review: Web Designer Needs Your Comments On Recently Dsigned Sites / I Want To Bake My Website / How To Upload Phpmyadmin Database To The Control Panel.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.