Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,425 members, 7,800,927 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:05 AM

Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security (14866 Views)

Photos: Travellers Stranded In Benin/Asaba Express Way Gridlock / Eight Annoying Questions Nigerian Airport Officials Ask International Travellers / Pictures Of Travellers "Fighting" To Board Arik Air (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by coded01: 1:35pm On Jul 03, 2014
Travellers flying to the United States from Europe and the Middle East face tighter airport security checks from Thursday due to fears extremist Muslim groups are making new explosives able to slip by standard checks.

The measures threaten fresh disruptions for passengers at the start of the summer holiday season and will affect some direct flights to the US.
Officials declined to say if they had uncovered a specific plot.

But the move comes amid increased concern among Western intelligence services that Islamist fighters who go to Syria with European passports could pose a security risk on their return.

The announcement of the extra checks on direct flights from some overseas airports to the US was made by US Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson Wednesday.

“We are sharing recent and relevant information with our foreign allies and are consulting the aviation industry,” Johnson said in a statement.
The airports are located in the Middle East and Europe and were targeted “based on real-time intelligence”, according to an official at the
Department of Homeland Security who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Britain confirmed it is bolstering security at its airports in response.

The move came before the US Independence Day celebrations on Friday.

On Sunday, US President Barack Obama warned that “battle-hardened” Europeans who embrace jihad in Syria and Iraq threaten the United
States because their passports mean they can enter his country without a visa.
- ‘Credible new threats’ -

Despite the increased checks, Britain said the international terror threat level issued by security service MI5 remained unchanged at substantial, the third highest grade out of five, where it has been since July 2011.

Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said that extra security measures were the right response to “credible new threats”.

“It’s very important that we work — as we do — with our American partners and indeed with other countries around the world so that where credible new threats are identified, a response is then implemented in airports around the world,” Clegg told ITV television.

Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin insisted to Sky News that passengers should not face “significant delays”.

The Department for Transport did not comment in detail on the nature of the security searches.
London’s Heathrow airport — the world’s busiest international air hub — said that to reveal the details “would be very helpful for the people who want to pass through the system”.

Aviation security expert Philip Baum told Sky the added checks would likely mean an increase in random searches and the number of passengers being asked to remove their shoes at security.

Passengers in Britain have long faced tight security measures at airports following high-profile threats including a failed attempt by British “shoe bomber” Richard Reid to blow up a US-bound flight in 2001.

Security was further tightened after a plot to blow up “liquid bombs” on transatlantic flights was uncovered in 2006.

Ben Friedman, a defence and homeland security expert at the Cato Institute think-tank in the US, told the BBC that fears had been raised over people with European passports who were fighting in Syria.

But he noted that previous attempts by Yemeni bomb makers to blow up planes had been unsuccessful.

“While we want to be prudent and cautious… these guys are serial failures,” he added.

A Nigerian, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, is serving a life sentence for trying to blow up a US-bound airliner on December 25, 2009 with explosives hidden in his underwear.

US officials said the botched plot was the work of Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, based in Yemen.

- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/07/travellers-us-face-tighter-airport-security/#sthash.6ofCn10X.dpuf

Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by coded01: 1:46pm On Jul 03, 2014
coded01: A Nigerian, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, is serving a life sentence for trying to blow up a US-bound airliner on December 25, 2009 with explosives hidden in his underwear.

When i remember this! I smh... embarassed

Why can't Nigerians be recognized for fighting against terrorism not supporting it... angry

4 Likes

Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by slimthugchimee(m): 2:21pm On Jul 03, 2014
Front page in just two comments nairaland is dead
Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by myspnigeria: 2:22pm On Jul 03, 2014
the fear of terrorists is the beginning of wisdom

1 Like

Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by Lilimax(f): 2:26pm On Jul 03, 2014
THE FIVE LEVELS OF THREAT
- Low, meaning an attack is unlikely.
- Moderate, meaning an attack is possible but not likely.
- Substantial, meaning an attack is a strong possibility.
- Severe, meaning an attack is highly likely.
- Critical, meaning an attack is expected imminently.
'the threat level is currently substantial from international terrorism '.

3 Likes

Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 03, 2014
coded01:

When i remember this! I smh... embarassed

Why can't Nigerians be recognized for fighting terrorism not supporting it... angry

Abeg Babe....Dont kill yourself...You have your own life to live.

3 Likes

Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by manny4life(m): 2:26pm On Jul 03, 2014
The plague called Terrorism is not prone to U.S. alone, it's widespread to all regions of the world. I don't blame the U.S. for countermeasures, GOD forbid another 9/11 happening again.

4 Likes

Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by brownlord: 2:27pm On Jul 03, 2014
slimthugchimee: Front page in just two comments nairaland is dead

And what are you afraid of? that they are exposing your people right?

14 Likes

Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by barackodam: 2:29pm On Jul 03, 2014
Good of em
Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by IAMBREEZY: 2:33pm On Jul 03, 2014
Cool
Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by justi4jesu(f): 2:34pm On Jul 03, 2014
what can we say
Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by kobonaire(m): 2:38pm On Jul 03, 2014
lipsrsealed
Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by ichommy(m): 2:38pm On Jul 03, 2014
hmmm
Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by slimthugchimee(m): 2:38pm On Jul 03, 2014
brownlord:

And what are you afraid of? that they are exposing your people right?
oga please am not muslem and hell no am i going to be one

3 Likes

Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by farano(f): 2:38pm On Jul 03, 2014
Prevention is better than cure

2 Likes

Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by hydeka: 2:39pm On Jul 03, 2014
I wonder what these people will preach to me to make me join their religion. I'm seriously wondering....

2 Likes

Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by bruno419(m): 2:41pm On Jul 03, 2014
#clear throat
#any APC here
#dodges bomb
#running
#seun pls backup my post lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by ksusi: 2:42pm On Jul 03, 2014
But BH don't travel abroad bcs they hate western education
Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by ebullientV(m): 2:43pm On Jul 03, 2014
It's better to take precautionary measures....
Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by ebullientV(m): 2:48pm On Jul 03, 2014
ksusi: But BH don't travel abroad bcs they hate western education
They aren't talking about BH here..
Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by Stevenjel: 2:49pm On Jul 03, 2014
Hmmmmmmmmm... Nigerians would face tightest security check... I am sure!
Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by brownlord: 2:52pm On Jul 03, 2014
slimthugchimee: oga please am not muslem and hell no am i going to be one

Okay, we are just trying to know the people Jonathan was referring to, i mean the e-boko haram
Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by onoja12: 2:54pm On Jul 03, 2014
The issue of Nigerians been maltreated abroad is one which should mark a quick change in Nigerian foreign policy.I think its high time the ministry of foreign affairs begin to do more than talk,they need to relate with the Nigerian association in countries round the world,the Nigerian missions are doing little or nothing to help Nigeria as a country and Nigerian leaving abroad.more embassies cant even issue the Nigerian passport talk more of assisting Nigerians.
I dare to say that of the over 15,000 Nigerian in jail abroad more than 2/3 of that figure are issues of victimization.
most of this countries have it at the back of there minds that the Nigerian state would do nothing,so they treat the Nigerian citizen as they like,i want to quickly point out that this policy of silence from the Nigerian mission abroad is the main reason why Nigeria is no longer respected on the international seen.
A point of reference is a country in the Caribbean called Guyana,i was arrested for simply applying for a drivers licence.imagine how silly that sounds and then handed to the anti narcotics department,they could not find what to pin on me,so they in turn handed me over to the anti fraud unit,while under interrogation for no crime committed the officer in charge of the fraud unit told me that 99% of Nigerians are drug dealers to which i responded,he has no right to assume that over 167million people as drug dealer when he has never been to Nigeria. angered by my statement he quickly called the immigration department where my application has been pending for 6months,this by the way is a process that is suppose to take 3weeks but for Nigerians it takes as much as 7years,this treatment is only for Nigerians. and after speaking to a Miss Mohammed he then told me that i have over stayed on my visa and my application has been denied.i equally told him in response that i am more than willing to return to my country even though i have been married to a citizen of there country for over 4years but i would not return with any false hood on my passport.
My wife inform the crime chief who i must confess was a perfect gentle man,who immediately ordered my release but stated that the problem the O/C fraud has created from immigration cant be undone by him so the matter must be taken up with there ministry of home affairs.i have thus written letters of protest which of course has not been responded to.

The lessons which can be learnt from this are as followed
1) The laws of this country clearly states that if you don't have the appropriate visa you cant work,with the deliberate policy of making sure Nigerians don't get the visa,this in turn would make sure that the Nigerian population here can not get legitimate work and thus forcing them into a life of crime.
2) countries that produce drugs in this region do not have there citizens tagged as drug dealer but a country that doesn't produce drugs are tagged drug dealers
3)even Nigerian investors are not spared,they are frustrated out
4)Nigerian student take 4-6months to get a student visa while others take 3weeks,its is equally surprising that Nigerian student contribute over 500million Guyana dollar directly and indirectly and account for 60% of the foreign students
5)I have demanded for statistics and it clearly shows that Nigeria is not among the top ten countries with conviction rate in this country,so how come of the hash tag
6)Guyanese citizen in Nigeria are enjoying expertrate quoter and working as guest of the country while to the contrary Nigerians here are treated with such disgust.
To this end i have taken it upon myself to defend the integrity of my country,i shall be meeting with the president of the Nigerian association in Guyana to fashion out a away on getting the government to drop this hash tag on Nigeria and Nigerians,and i shall be writing a letter to the honourable president of Guyana to notify him of this and equally write the Nigerian senate and house of representative as well as the Nigerian ambassador to the Caribbean and the ministry of foreign affairs in Nigeria.
its time we begin to say no to this victimization of our great country and its citizens.

Thanks

26 Likes

Re: Travellers To US Face Tighter Airport Security by imsuboi(m): 2:55pm On Jul 03, 2014
a president with brains..

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ogun: Three Die As Driver Rams Into Trees On Abeokuta-Sagamu Road / Libya Stops Nigerians, Other Migrants From Crossing To Europe / Ondo: Flood Engulfs Cars, Houses, And Gets Into Bank (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.