Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,313 members, 7,780,758 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:23 PM

Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? (13596 Views)

50 Reasons Why Yoruba Never Had An Empire But Civilized By Benin / Does Modernity Make People More Individualistic? / Badagry- The Cradle Of Civilization. How Civilized Is This Town? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by francescainnoce(f): 8:37am On Jul 04, 2014
I suppose education is meant to aid a civilisation process of either a person, society or place with reference to its dictionary meaning so one way or another education is a step to civilzation.
In terms of the way of life of a person or people; in terms of their behavioural conduct and attitude, education add little In quota to the necessities: there are many factors of civilisation of which education is one, we have the ENVIRONMent, belief, culture and what not and with that it can be deduced that irrespective of education, anyone can be civilised, although according to the dictionary meaning it is understood that advancement of civilisation can only be with regards to education.
Secondly if I will have to make my chose from either a yes or no, I would suggest that education can make a man civilized. Y? Because education is one thing can can solely and practically change so many things including "MAN", it exposes the things hidden by man and relates those things to man, education provides the platform to correct and to be corrected, if broadens the mindset of a person and help him define his capabilities and please don't forget that civilization is the advancement of knowledge in the development process of either a person, society or place.( I stand to be corrected). Meanwhile; if that be the case, how do you expect a person who isn't educated to broaden his knowledge and capabilities; I wouldn't rule the fact that few people have got the gift however not EVERYONE HAs. Yes education have it's weakness and at the same provides opportunities and scope in fighting those weakness, have you ever asked or wondered, if without education, the invention of armouries and gun wouldn't have being achieved. I think it would have anyway. Education only help in defining so inventions but weather or not a man in educated, civilization will take place and these critically suggest that even though education aids civilization, civilization can take place without education

1 Like

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Nobody: 8:56am On Jul 04, 2014
Education has nothing to do with civilisation and courtesy o, education can't change ones character at all. I know two governors in the southwest (am a yoruba girl o) that are very razz, they shout as if dey didn't even go through primary school.

1 Like

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Nobody: 8:57am On Jul 04, 2014
oyatmicah: being educated dosnt simply mean u can erase ur attitude. they are two different things.bt wen u ar educated nd act like an ignoramus then dats wen d problem comes in
#Gbam. Oyatmicah has spoken.
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Missmossy(f): 9:00am On Jul 04, 2014
No it doesn't. You are no different from an illiterate who thinks rationally and makes wise decision.

Some Phd holders act so dumb and uncivilised that you'd wonder if they ever saw the four walls of a secondary school.

Education is simply no basis for civility i must say!

4 Likes

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by MightySparrow: 9:09am On Jul 04, 2014
Ekiti people are educated, not civilized.
The recent outcome of Gruber election shows that.
How can a people respected for education prefer a tout over a civilized person over rice and money? Civilization will make you have and respect values. Sharpen you conduct and character.
Time will tell anyway.

That you are educated means you simply become a library of others thoughts and experience. To be civilized is to keep abreast of the values of the leading cultures of the now world. Many of us are educated, went to study abroad where everything works fine, come back home with the letters but left the spirit behind in those countries. Civilization is about evolving a better world by becoming a better you making a better society.

ehn, back to Ekiti people, when you sacrifice golden tomorrow for a bowl if pottage today, tears of sorrow are inevitable.

Your choice in life is a product of how enlightened you are.
Simple.
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by yublings(m): 9:15am On Jul 04, 2014
francescainnoce: I suppose education is meant to aid a civilisation process of either a person, society or place with reference to its dictionary meaning so one way or another education is a step to civilzation.
In terms of the way of life of a person or people; in terms of their behavioural conduct and attitude, education add little In quota to the necessities: there are many factors of civilisation of which education is one, we have the ENVIRONMent, belief, culture and what not and with that it can be deduced that irrespective of education, anyone can be civilised, although according to the dictionary meaning it is understood that advancement of civilisation can only be with regards to education.
Secondly if I will have to make my chose from either a yes or no, I would suggest that education can make a man civilized. Y? Because education is one thing can can solely and practically change so many things including "MAN", it exposes the things hidden by man and relates those things to man, education provides the platform to correct and to be corrected, if broadens the mindset of a person and help him define his capabilities and please don't forget that civilization is the advancement of knowledge in the development process of either a person, society or place.( I stand to be corrected). Meanwhile; if that be the case, how do you expect a person who isn't educated to broaden his knowledge and capabilities; I wouldn't rule the fact that few people have got the gift however not EVERYONE HAs. Yes education have it's weakness and at the same provides opportunities and scope in fighting those weakness, have you ever asked or wondered, if without education, the invention of armouries and gun wouldn't have being achieved. I think it would have anyway. Education only help in defining so inventions but weather or not a man in educated, civilization will take place and these critically suggest that even though education aids civilization, civilization can take place without education

Convincing
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by WarHorse1(m): 9:32am On Jul 04, 2014
[size=15pt]"The Worst Criminal is the one gifted with intelligence and Education but with no morals" - Martin Luther King[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by softandsweet(f): 9:40am On Jul 04, 2014
What we need to remember is that a degree is not merely a rite of passage to enlightenment. Its just an enabler.
Being “well-educated” only means that you have acquired credible, formal training in your discipline of choice. Being enlightened, on the other hand, means that you have further acquired knowledge that allows you to know how and where to make the best use of this education. The future of humanity does not depend on the educated, it rather hinges on the very small percentage of those educated who are also enlightened.
This is not to say that one cannot be enlightened without education.
I have seen supposedly "uneducated" fellows knowing how to speak, when to speak, when to be quiet, how to behave in public, how to consider one's feelings before, during and after and action, etc, and I have also seen supposedly "educated" fellows who do not exhibit decency, diplomacy, courteousness, respect for lives and property, rationalism and common reasoning.
The education system tries to impose enlightenment through social studies, civics and ethics or philosophy, but everyone passes through the educational system but only a few fellows let the system pass through them.

1 Like

Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by K0ala7(m): 9:50am On Jul 04, 2014
I have noticed a lot of people on this thread alluding to the fact that an education does not guarantee you civility in a person. However, in an educational setting, however basic or sophisticated, there are rules that people adhere to; the longer you stay in the system, the more adapted you become to the rules. When a person leaves such a 'civil' setting and steps out into the rest of the world where people may not necessarily abide by, or worse still, acknowledge the existence of rules, they are forced to make changes to remain 'functional', even when they do not agree with the practices they are used to.

And as are most other things in this world, civility is relative. What I would describe as civil in the USA may be considered as exaggerating civility in Nigeria. A brief example might help. When I am in the university in the USA, it is rather abnormal to find a persons phone ring out loud in class or even at your friends apartment. However, in a lot of Nigerian offices, people are prone to using music or obnoxiously loud music as ringtones. Now, in these offices, it is not courteous to answer a call in the office or on loud speaker. But it is not rude to have your phone ring out loud.

A few quotes:

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men." - Douglas Bader

"With regard to stupidity, I have already said it is of two sorts, one natural, the other acquired; the one effect of ignorance, the other of instruction. Now of these two sorts of ignorance or stupidity, which is the most incurable? The latter. The man who knows nothing may learn; it is only requisite to excite in him the desire of knowledge. But he who is falsely learned, and has by degrees lost his reason when he thought to improve it, has purchased his stupidity at too dear a rate to ever renounce it." - Helvetius
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by megabyte2(f): 10:11am On Jul 04, 2014
Yes it does (does not imply to everybody that is educated) some people that doesn't even have the privilege to be educated are more well behaved than the so called graduate. So it's all about self discipline
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 04, 2014
No. Go to our roads and see how 'educated' drivers behave.
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Oluwalala(m): 10:21am On Jul 04, 2014
Usually education is supposed to bring civility , but the reverse is the case, often times Nigerians most especially pass through schl but schl don't pass through them
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by tintingz(m): 10:28am On Jul 04, 2014
Education does not control someones character 100%, our character is in us but education can make someone "act" civilised or disguise like a civilised person but it can never change the character in you and it even depends on society .
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Yehman(m): 10:48am On Jul 04, 2014
Nope. Dats actually why we have different types of fools:
* Educated fools
*Rich fools
*Fools proper
(A)Crazy fools
(B)Illetrate (stack) fools
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by myspnigeria: 10:50am On Jul 04, 2014
Not totally but to a large extent
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Orikinla(m): 10:53am On Jul 04, 2014
Yes. Good education does. But not bad education.
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Nobody: 11:44am On Jul 04, 2014
Good education does. But humans can be challenging and compelling when making choices or acting according to what is perceived by individuals. Yes, to a large extent educated person seems to follow organized set of rules and regulations than illiterates who usually act like barbarians.
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by ndsissy: 11:49am On Jul 04, 2014
They said Education is power but for me Education is power when u put it constructively. Education will make u understand ur right from wrong but here it now depends on the person's character in applying it. Education for sure will make u more Civilized, because the more Educated, Cultured, Civilized we are the more we can control our emotions towards our behaviour and act, this emotions come by extensive thoughts from our subconscious mind. I believe 100% that Education makes us to be Civilized. the reason why is like that here in Africa is purely because of our mentality. Is like some body saying that there is an Afican time, there is nothing like African time rather our African mind set or mentality of doing things. ND
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by 4C2215131: 12:02pm On Jul 04, 2014
In the main, you are that you are.
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by isaco(m): 2:13pm On Jul 04, 2014
People's behaviour is originally controlled by their Habit while background, society and education also influence it, Habit is number one, others follow. Wherever u are n whatever u have habit can never leave u. Education only helps to control some uncivilised habit to some extent. Most educated ppl pretend about their true attitude in d public but we must agree that sometimes the true behaviour show face, because is in d blood.
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 04, 2014
Yes to an extent.

Cause he who wants to be civilized will be civilized.

It is a choice.

Education is a form of discipline, that is the area it lends an effort to civility..
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by Trendy4gud(f): 6:30pm On Jul 04, 2014
Education is not edusense. Your post can be summed as morally based which our current educational system lacks. Most of the tenets of good morals are more visible in our informal educational system...through norms, values, morals and social etiquette. Unfortunately, our culture are highly neglected that's why all these poo are everywhere. We all believed that good name is better than treasure but not so anymore.
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by hopekanu(f): 8:52pm On Jul 04, 2014
Hvnt u heard abt educated-illiterate?
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by vikktor: 12:02am On Jul 05, 2014
If u like go school for liverpool come bk...is nt civilization....the both are two diff tin....
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by mwenemutapa: 2:30am On Jul 05, 2014
[i][/i]just as coolio said he's an educated fool with money on his mind. majority of Africans are like that... we were all born intelligent but education ruined us, the system made it so.
Re: Does Education Really Make People Act Civilized? by peter4d2(m): 11:19am On Jul 05, 2014
My ans lies in 2face song "Spiritual healing"
2 be civilized u don't hv 2 be educated.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Phenotype Guess Game / Nigerian Hookers Invade Denmark Offering Better Deals / Kwara: Isese Activist, Talolorun, Remanded In Prison For Defaming Emir Of Ilorin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.