Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,502 members, 7,808,852 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:57 PM

How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish (16797 Views)

Artificial Insemination Of Fish Aka Fish Hatchery / Please Where Can I Carry Out Phytosanitary Test / Catfish Farming: How To Carry Out A Successful Market Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by ayodejy05(m): 8:40pm On Jul 03, 2014
This is the artificial breeding of fish. The materials needed are Aerator, Injector, Razor Blade, Knife, Saline water, Hatching Bowl, Siphoning Tube, Artificial Hormone (Ovaprim), Floatation tank.
The procedures involved are as follows:
1 Washing, cleaning and disinfection of the hatchery and its environs
2 Arrangement of some of the equipment needed in the hatchery
3 Acquisition of brood stock (mature male and female fish of about a year or more than)
4 Injecting the female fish with about 0.5mil of artificial hormone (Ovaprim)
5 Killing of the male fish in other to obtain their milt (sperm), ensure that blood did not mix with the sperm
6 Striping (Forcing out of eggs from the abdomen) of the hormone stimulated female fish after about 9-10 hours of injection.
7 Pouring of the milt obtained over the stripped eggs in the hatching bowl. Addition of little quantity of saline water and careful mixing to ensure that the milt touches all the eggs for effective fertilization to take place.
8 Spreading of the mixed eggs on the kaskasban display on the floatation tank.
9 Lighting up of the bulbs and closing down of the doors and windows of the hatchery
10 After about 24-48 hours the eggs were hatched and feeding of the newly hatched fishes started from the third day after hatching.

visit www.livestocking.com for more or ask your questions here
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by TheUnbeatable(m): 9:06pm On Jul 03, 2014
Nice thread sir.
Is this how simple it is?
Please drop your fone no here.
Which side of Akure is your area?
I wount mind seeing you the next time I am in that city.
I would like to see things ...

Regards Sir,

The Unbeatable.
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by Nobody: 6:20am On Jul 05, 2014
Hello, can i get ur contact. mine is 08066401947 and i can be reached thru email at heroesworth@hotmail.com. If you are into production, we can share one or two things. .. i m a breeder too.
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by Belexy(m): 8:29am On Jul 07, 2014
Your TOPIC is 'HOW TO. . .' U could have put pictures and also explain the procedure.
U only listed some 'points'
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by wahleymanutd: 10:59am On Jul 07, 2014
nice thread bro!!....buh aw do u get milt out of d male afta killin d it
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by whirlwind7(m): 4:12pm On Jul 10, 2014
Belexy: Your TOPIC is 'HOW TO. . .' U could have put pictures and also explain the procedure.
U only listed some 'points'

wahleymanutd: nice thread bro!!....buh aw do u get milt out of d male afta killin d it

The truth is, one cannot really learn such stuff by reading only. Even pictures can only go so far.
The best way is through a hands-on practical demonstration. the next best way is via video tutorial.
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by Belexy(m): 11:08pm On Jul 12, 2014
whirlwind7:

The truth is, one cannot really learn such stuff by reading only. Even pictures can only go so far.
The best way is through a hands-on practical demonstration. the next best way is via video tutorial.

You would be surprised how much information can be passed on by detailed explanation and pictures.

1 Like

Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by pweetyface(f): 1:00pm On Jul 13, 2014
Nice topic @ op but u know its nt as easy as u make it sound, plus picture would have been better.
Pls if u havent had experience before pls dnt waste ur broodstock thinking u can do it urself.
D process is nt difficult but vry technical like d injecting of d ovaprime, it is usually injected at d lateral line of d fish, d removal of d milt from d male.
Its vry advisable to get 1st hand experience b4 doin it urself
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by whirlwind7(m): 3:15pm On Jul 13, 2014
Belexy:

You would be surprised how much information can be passed on by detailed explanation and pictures.

I dont doubt this.
However, it depends on how concise and detailed the information presented is.
The OP hadn't made any comment since he opened this thread, though.
Will be real helpful if he could post pics and/or video of the procedure, accompanied with a simple step by step narrative.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by Nobody: 1:09am On Jul 14, 2014
does this mean that a male must die to get the sperm.
I need to know so that I start keeping/ saving males now for my future business.
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by Belexy(m): 8:01am On Jul 14, 2014
gzib: does this mean that a male must die to get the sperm.
I need to know so that I start keeping/ saving males now for my future business.

Yes, the male is usually sacrificed.
The female is used over and over.
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by pweetyface(f): 8:47am On Jul 14, 2014
Nt always, depends on d tearing when removing the milt, it can be sold later but not as a brood stock.
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by ayodejy05(m): 1:48pm On Aug 13, 2014
Sorry all. I wasn't online for a while. I will surely upload picture but I think a video will be great. Let me check my youtube video library. I will give the link soon. One again, I'm sorry for replying late.
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by kissinggourami: 10:45am On Aug 15, 2014
Not always. You can either save the male to be sold as a table-size fish or you can still reuse it later for spawning; Yes it's possible!! A very technical procedure in which you leave a small part of the Milt in the male and surgically stitch the male up. The process is technical and only used by breeders with genetically enhanced males (You don't really expect us to lose such males, do you?). For someone with little knowledge about the procedure, it's extremely complicated to explain beyond this.
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by Nobody: 11:00am On Sep 21, 2014
pweetyface: Nt always, depends on d tearing when removing the milt, it can be sold later but not as a brood stock.
are u in lagos now
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by pweetyface(f): 8:19am On Sep 22, 2014
Unibenstudent: are u in lagos now
No
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by amadasunfarm(m): 1:36am On Sep 25, 2014
blob:http%3A//www.youtube.com/f1902733-9760-46b7-aee4-67d652e79c93%3A/
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by amadasunfarm(m): 1:43am On Sep 25, 2014
[quote blob:http%3A//www.youtube.com/f1902733-9760-46b7-aee4-67d652e79c93=amadas
amadasunfarm: blob:http%3A//www.youtube.com/f1902733-9760-46b7-aee4-67d652e79c93%3A/
unfarm]blob:http%3A/
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by Nobody: 9:17am On Sep 25, 2014
This is really helpful ayodejy05. I used to call an expert to help me do the job but he was so selfish with his knowledge.
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 25, 2014
Easier said than done, u can't just follow these processes without practice trust me. Sometimes Full participation and practicals won't even yield a good result.
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by showboy25(m): 3:34pm On Sep 27, 2014
trust me, how to breed catfish is more than what he just posted; I'm a breeder too there are many things he didn't tells you o. be very careful kiss

1 Like

Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by showboy25(m): 3:57pm On Sep 27, 2014
here is my hatchery!
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by dmangodwin(m): 10:20am On Apr 23, 2015
Good morning sirs.Am very interested in this catfish farming.where can we buy plastic tank for pond, ovalprim,multivitamin,feeds and other materials needed for hatching and breeding of catfish.
thank u all for this info.
Re: How To Carry Out Artificial Insemination For Catfish by kentochi(m): 8:41pm On Jun 14, 2017
nice thread

(1) (Reply)

Piggery Business Plan / Kolanut And Bitter Kola Export (genuine Foreign Buyers) / What Would You Do With 50 Acres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.