Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:02 AM

Job-hunting/interview Tips Here. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Job-hunting/interview Tips Here. (1168 Views)

After A Long Day Of Job Hunting / My Funny Job Hunting Experience / What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Job-hunting/interview Tips Here. by debaj10: 10:18pm On Jul 03, 2014
Interview tips- 1:
It should be obvious, but-
Always, ALWAYS keep a copy of each job you apply for.
In this day and age, what's your excuse for not having a copy on your phone?
'The paper I wrote on got lost'?
'The owner of the newspaper took it before I finished'?
That's what your phone is for. Use it.

I've had quite a number of people respond to an invitation with, "Er, what position is this for?" or "Please can you tell me what company this is?"
It's clear they sent their details in a batch email or simply applied for any and all positions they could find- so long as the title looked good or was simply recognizable.
'Try-your-luck' hardly ever works; it's hard to imagine a company advertising a position then giving the job to someone who just 'applied sha'.
If you can't recognize/recall the details of a job you applied for, why should you expect to get the job?
Immediate red flag on interview day.
Re: Job-hunting/interview Tips Here. by debaj10: 1:54pm On Jul 04, 2014
Tip 2:
NOTE: Tip 2 only makes sense if you've followed Tip 1. Obviously.

If the company has a website, better save the following pages:
home, about, products/services.
You'll be able to do some relevant recap on interview day- especially if there's no network, no credit, bad reception, peak period, etc. undecided
Also, find out the key officers; if any are well-known and you miss it, fail.
You must know what they do, how long they've been doing it and some of the latest projects.
Act as a client- Call customer care, send an email.
This might give you ideas on how to improve their services; hence they'll see you as potential added value.
If you don't know the area, google it oo!!
Find out from people how traffic affects travel to the location.
Up next:
You and your CV...
shocked
Re: Job-hunting/interview Tips Here. by debaj10: 12:14am On Jul 12, 2014
Pardon the long interval (abi na interlude).
I write when I can. So sue me. heh

Assignment: What's the difference between a CV and a resume?
Hint-
If your RESUME is over 1.5 pages, you're heading for failure.
If your CV is less than 2 pages, you must be an expert, constantly training in your field.

First and foremost-
Get 2-4 tailored CVs. Be sure that they suit the range of jobs you're applying for.
Secondly-
If you're a grad of religious studies and you apply to an IT firm looking for graduates, how on earth do you expect your desktop publishing certificate to get you the job?!?
So stop wasting your time, energy and your parents'?/provider's hard-earned money, running around [Lagos] from interview to application, when you LACK THE REQUIRED SKILLS!
This is not 'baba ijebu'.

If you have 'CAREER OBJECTIVES', 'GOALS', etc, usually at the top of your RESUME [usually in it's own section]- who you dey try deceive? angry
Your potential employer has not the slightest interest in your personal goals; he/she knows for a fact that the second you get a better deal/job, you're out the door, not caring that you left one of your shoes behind.
So stop wasting HR's time with unnecessary platitudes.

Tabulate EVERYTHING- It saves on your paper, is easier to skim over and shows tight efficiency.
Who wants to spend the rest of their lives reading irrelevant stories of your 'duties'? They don't know what the job entails, so you show them how you ironed oga's shorts and poured tea expertly? grin
Therefore use columns and rows-
Educational history: Institution; Degree/Qualification; Dates[from-to]
Work history: Company; Job Title/Position; Dates

Better add relevant addresses and contact info, o!
Key responsibilities are allowed- Max of 3 per job. Under 'Position'.

Whatever your qualifications, abilities-
YOU BETTER PRACTICE YOUR SKILLS/TALENTS ON A REGULAR BASIS.
At least 3 times weekly.

LACK OF EXPERIENCE?
1. Volunteer. It's the easiest way to get the required experience you need.
Rotaract, Lions, Motherless babies, etc. Google volunteering in your state.
2. Do a 'boy-boy' at a related company close to your home. Go on errands. Ask questions. Observe. Pester them to 'let' you help. lol.
But you know it's working for free sha? Maybe they'll spring you lunch once in a while...
3. If it's a desk job, better go online and discover, then practice everything pertaining to the job. Leave a lot of online footprint that you can refer to.
4. Start a Business, build a portfolio: If you ever plan to get a job that pays well, the best way to boost your chances over the competition is to show how your skills have benefited MSMEs in your area. And these guys will in turn write you glowing letters of recommendation. So BECOME A CONSULTANT.

Hey, all you 'local champions' who were in societies, heading organisations, presidents, coordinators, secretaries, and so forth- Who cares? Oh, leadership and organisational qualities? Na ball, wey need captain?
If you lack the required skills, na interview go chuck you out; if they task you on your 'abilities' and you fall short, who will you blame?
And INTERESTS?!?!?!?
What, in all that is good and holy, do your interests have to do with your job application?! And how does your enjoyment of travel, or dancing help a company that needs you to deal with customers' accounts, or constantly monitor a network, or address customers' complaints? Or are you just hinting that you'll be 'unavailable' on weekends?

A CV without references is wasted paper.
What on earth do you mean, 'Available on request'?! I no get wok do, SODIA4 you wan make I book apointment wit ur seketry, make you fyn chans give me refri ni? OK oh, no vex. ur cv dey go oga desk strait. na hin go kukuma call you hinsef to beg for ur refri.
MCHEEWW.
angry

Next-
Prepping for D-Day.

1 Like

Re: Job-hunting/interview Tips Here. by debaj10: 3:35pm On Jan 21, 2015
Happy nu year.
Nuff said.
This is a rapid-fire session.

Prepping for D-Day.

Read allthe preceding articles, use them and interview day will be a breeze.
1. Leave early- plan to be there an hour before the time given.
2. A tie is formal enough for the high end firms; it's you ability they're after.
3. Only put on a jacket if the weather requires it; you may need it for cold offices. But leave it off till its your turn.
4. Phone on silent. Jotter pen calculator.
5. ALL YOUR ORIGINAL DOCIMENTS IN AN A4 SLEEVE. With copies in another sleeve.
6. Manicure, hair cut, shave, dark clothes for a conservative look- and to hide accidental stains.
7. NEVER eat/ drink before an interview- except for water. Belching, stained teeth- or worse- clothes; needing the loo when 'time don reach'...
8. You better know if its a general screening test or one-on-one.
Practice how you'll greet your interviewer(s); confidence is the first impression you must convey.

Right. That's it.
Questions?
Good luck in 2015.
Re: Job-hunting/interview Tips Here. by debaj10: 3:39pm On Jan 21, 2015
Happy nu year.
Nuff said.
This is a rapid-fire session.

Prepping for D-Day.

Read allthe preceding articles, use them and interview day will be a breeze.
1. Leave early- Plan to be there an hour before the time given.
2. A tie is formal enough for the high end firms; it's your ability they're after.
3. Only put on a jacket if the weather requires it; you may need it for cold offices. But leave it off till its your turn.
4. Phone on silent. Jotter pen calculator.
5. ALL YOUR ORIGINAL DOCIMENTS IN AN A4 SLEEVE! With copies in another sleeve.
6. Manicure, hair cut, shave, dark clothes for a conservative look- and to hide accidental stains.
7. NEVER eat/ drink before an interview- except for water. Belching, stained teeth- or worse- clothes; needing the loo when 'time don reach'...
8. You better know if its a general screening test or a one-on-one.
9. Practice how you'll greet your interviewer(s); confidence is the first impression you must convey.

Right. That's it.
Questions?
Good luck in 2015.

Next- The hot seat.
Who knows when I'll find time...

(1) (Reply)

Who Else Got This Text From U-connect? / Urgent Vacancy / Jomax Global Services - Open Vacancies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.