Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,501 members, 7,781,522 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:05 PM

DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along - Fashion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along (305898 Views)

Free DIY Handfans, Wire works, Bead works, Ankara bangles e.t.c Tutorials / A “SEW ALONG” THREAD For Sewing Enthusiasts/Tailors/Fashion Designers:DECEMBER / That's Sew Naija! - Fashion Designers,tailors,accessory/jewelry Makers, Join In! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jan 06, 2015
Welldone @ kemestry....explaining verbally sometimes is confusing for some people, If it's not too much stress kindly explain with pictures thx. You can use a paper. Thx again.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 8:31pm On Jan 06, 2015
My images are not uploading, i have resized and all. I will keep trying. It's quite discouraging. From my last post, yow will see where i referred people to check an image.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 8:34pm On Jan 06, 2015

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 9:12pm On Jan 06, 2015
Numbers 1, 2 and 3 refers to bustline, under bust and half length respectively.
I usually advise my students to always cut out first with lining so that, in any case of mistake, you can easily correct it unlike when it is done on your main fabric. Here are my lining images. The front centre panel and front sides panel. Always cut your fabric on fold so you can achieve uniformity and professional touch.
Meanwhile, before you cut your fabrics, check out the patterns and directions in which it runs so that your creative gene can bring out nice designs even before officially embellishing your constructed fabric with some notions and trims.
Sorry for the long story,teaching fashion is my passion. I always take my time. Though there's more for you to learn.
These images are the entire front panel.
So the difference here is that you put your tape to measure from 1 ,i.e, shoulder is inclusive before you trim out your neck design.

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 11:22pm On Jan 06, 2015
The back panel is straight, just add dart allowance and zip allowance. The line on the image at 5" mark is the dart line, i 'm using half inch for the zip allowance.
For the peplum, fold your fabric into four parts, divide your waist by 4. Mine is 37÷4, then add sewing and zip allowance cos your zip will run through, else ,you won't be able to wear the dress. And cut out.
Measure the lenght of the peplum. That is ( length of entire blouse minus the half length of the blouse you have cut. (26-16)=10 + sewing allowance.
P.s: cut your peplum in circular pattern as shown in the image.

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 12:49am On Jan 07, 2015
Here are more images for cutting a peplum. For clarity purposes.
Put your pieces together and sew. Join the peplum to your half lenght blouse.

1 Share

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by gpowers: 9:32am On Jan 07, 2015

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by mamatwo: 12:37pm On Jan 07, 2015
kemesty:
Numbers 1, 2 and 3 refers to bustline, under bust and half length respectively.
I usually advise my students to always cut out first with lining so that, in any case of mistake, you can easily correct it unlike when it is done on your main fabric. Here are my lining images. The front centre panel and front sides panel. Always cut your fabric on fold so you can achieve uniformity and professional touch.
Meanwhile, before you cut your fabrics, check out the patterns and directions in which it runs so that your creative gene can bring out nice designs even before officially embellishing your constructed fabric with some notions and trims.
Sorry for the long story,teaching fashion is my passion. I always take my time. Though there's more for you to learn.
These images are the entire front panel.
So the difference here is that you put your tape to measure from 1 ,i.e, shoulder is inclusive before you trim out your neck design.

Pls I dont understand the bust cut you have done. At the end, i think we should have 3 Parts. The 2 sides and the centre. Pls could you go over the whole process again.

Sorry for taking you back.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by kemesty(f): 11:14am On Jan 13, 2015
Mamatwo, from my previous explanation, i said you should always cut while your fabric is on fold. It simply means after cutting for the centre bust, you should cut the sides on fold such that when you open ,it is two. I don't know if you understand. You can still go back to read up my previous posts.
Please where is everyone? You are not showing any sign that you are with us. Please mark present and show your work in progress.
We need to fix the sleeves and conclude on this project so that we can move on. Do not be discouraged.

2 Likes

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 9:08am On Jan 17, 2015
Hello house....what do we do about our blouse tutorial? do we choose another blouse or start the current blouse afresh? Or simply continue with our skirt draft....waited enough for the blouse to finish ooo. Need to take charge so that we can move on.

My suggestion is this will finish the blouse and post pictures of the steps except the flare part.

Pls. Indicate agreement, so sorry for the whole delay, promise to make it up, I have lots of interesting stuff and techniques lined up, we will be doing more of that than sewing for the next few months.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 9:18am On Jan 17, 2015
@ kemestry has done a great job, pls. Let's appreciate and encourage her, to avoid dragging everyone back let's ask questions then we will post pics of that...what do u think?
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by bimbam(f): 12:35pm On Jan 17, 2015
Well done to @kemesty on the blouse tutorial

I think the problem (at least for me) is that the style for the blouse was changed half way through the lesson...people bought fabric based on one style, probably started cutting the style, Christmas busy period came, and then the style was changed...so, it might be hard to know which style to continue with.

A suggestion to our hardworking teachers (who we appreciate very much) is to upload the entire lesson in full, even if it is hand-drawn on a piece of paper...we realize you run successful businesses off-line, and that should always come first since it is your livelihood. If the lesson is uploaded in full, some people will understand and complete the project. Those who do not understand, can ask questions that anyone can answer. If the answer comes from someone who has already completed the question, then the lecturer can tell that the lesson was effective and the students can also learn from/interact with each other. The best way to tell if one knows something/subject is the ability to teach someone else the same thing/subject.

Looking forward to what 2015 brings....

2 Likes

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by anytaij: 3:53pm On Jan 18, 2015
Happy New Year everyone ! I suggest we start a new one,since its last years work and nobody as posted their not even me . Am about finishing mine cos i started late Decemeber mine is not Peplum will post pic later . Let's start a new peoject if i may suggest . Thanks and Hapi Sunday ya'all
@ Kemesty thank a Bunch.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by iclass: 4:55pm On Jan 18, 2015
Well done to all the tutors here. I appreciate you all.
I agree with @bimbam 's suggestion.
@arakulture can't wait to start the fun stuffs. Thanks
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by mamatochi: 8:44pm On Jan 18, 2015
happy new house. i quite agree with bimbam, and since the blouse is taking so much time, i think will should start up something new
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 18, 2015
Hello house, thx to everyone and especially @bimbam. I have drafted d blouse tutorial pix the way @kemestry explained it and I made a top out of it. Been trying to post d pix since Saturday, will keep trying. And our skirt tutorial should begins immediately.

Also, we will be doing sewing techniques and styling for the couple of months we need those last minute techniques trust me.

1 Share

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 18, 2015
First pix explained how to draft d centre panel...go back to d write up on page 8,9 copy it out on a notepad and follow the instructions on a paper or calico, sew and fit, make adjustments and keep for later.

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jan 18, 2015
Pix 2 explains placing Ur centre panel on a fabric folded into two wide and long enough in width and length....using plain English here for proper explanation.....place it and pin together in place.....make sure u pin 0.5inch and make sure u sew in your allowance correctly

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jan 18, 2015
Last pix shows my finished top, will send in pix wen l wear it.

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jan 18, 2015
I hope dis helps solve d blouse problem.

Confused? Feel free to ask any questions concerning d blouse will be glad to explain and we should pls try it and send in our finish project. Thx and God bless...gudnite dearies.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by goforwardagu: 2:39pm On Jan 19, 2015
Happy new year pple,may dis year be a gud one for everybody.
@arakulture and @kemestry we appreciate your efforts totally.its not easy to teach online wen u have very busy schedules too.

@arakulture,tanks so much for the picture explanation of the blouse.show us the back too so d novice lyk us in the house would understand .

luking forward to 2015 with u cheesy wink

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jan 19, 2015
@goforwardagu dear, where have u been? Missed u plenty....will post d pix too.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 8:23am On Jan 21, 2015
Hello house, back to our skirt.

Measurement you need....
Waist ....31 ÷ 4
Waist to hip distance ....8.5
Hip ...40
Length

Using you paper, Mark your skirt length on the paper, divide your waist into 4, using your own measurement mark it on paper add 2 inch allowance you will use 1inch from the 2inch for your dart, then measure d distance from your waist to hip downward mark it and divide your hips into 4 mark it and add 1inch allowance. After all the markings, join the lines to meet at the length and cut out.

Indicate you actual measurement on the paper and your allowance for future use and understanding.

Will send pix later.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by noncy21: 7:04pm On Jan 24, 2015
@OP...pls what type of skirt ar we making? What is d best material for skirt. Tnx
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by chinamims(f): 8:17pm On Jan 25, 2015
My beloved sisters who would want to place orders, location is not going to be a barrier, we promise to get your jewelries to wherever you are (extra cost apply). Refer us to your friends, sisters, in laws, mum, aunt's, colleagues, we promise to deliver to their satisfaction. I need your patronage, before hunger go kill me, lol. Oya if u don't want hunger to kill me, call us now. BlackBerry pin : 2B8EB6FD Our Facebook page remains https://m.facebook.com/Phabulousadorn. Visit our page. BBM channel C001EE65B. Instagram : phabulous_creation.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jan 26, 2015
Pencil skirt @noncy21
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by bimbam(f): 9:25pm On Jan 26, 2015
Hello @arakulture! What happened to your BB Channel?
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by iclass: 11:29am On Jan 29, 2015
Hello everyone! Many thanks to all the tutors, God bless you. I decided to use @kemesty 's tutorial on the bust cut today. I ve cut the center front panel on paper. Its really easy and straightforward but I have some questions.
1. After cutting the center front panel, do I have to place it on the fabric to cut the sides or can I just fold my fabric as wide as my hip measurement and cut both the center and side at d same time.

2. I'm not good with sewing off shoulder blouses, can I Use this method to cut the shoulder together with the bodice.

Thank you all.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by bimbam(f): 12:25pm On Jan 29, 2015
@iclass:

I would use some more paper to cut out the side panels, just to get the steps down in my head. Then when all pieces are cut in paper, use them to cut out the fabric. The next time around, you will be confident enough to cut straight from the fabric.

If your blouse is going to be long enough to cover your hips, then you will use your hip measurement when deciding how wide center+side should be. If the blouse won't cover or reach your hips, I would just add 2" to your waist measurement to calculate the center+side measurement to get how wide the bottom of the blouse should be. This should work unless you have a really small waist and really wide hips.

You can cut both pieces at the same time, but they have to be separate pieces, since the seam joining them together also adds to the "bust cup" effect...

Our instructors can shed more light on your questions.

This chatroom is moving slowly, o! We are still on pg 9 after all this time...lecturers, please don't forget about us...God bless you for all you do.

1 Like

Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by iclass: 12:41pm On Jan 29, 2015
@bimbam thanks for the explanation. Would try it out on a muslin first.

Still waiting for the answer to my second question.
Thanks.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jan 29, 2015
@bimbam thx for the answer. Mistakenly deleted d channel but it's up now again kindly join in everyone.

About the thread moving slowly, it's expected after the long wait on the blouse and the way everything turned out lots people are not happy with this thread again but it's all good, we will get our groove back

Moving forward, as a bonus to everyone send in pix of designs and style you like, u never know it might be lucky as a project.
Re: DIY (do It Yourself) & Sew Along by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jan 29, 2015
Pic for skirt

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply)

My Crochet Fantasy / ~The Fashion Section Rules ~Guidelines & Queries ~ / How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.