Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,793 members, 7,806,193 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:46 PM

Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. (23440 Views)

Let's Discuss About Indecent Dressing To Church / Atheists Come In Here Quickly...photo! / Why Do Atheists Come Here Since They Do Not Believe In Religion ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jul 04, 2014
cococandy:
4. Would you agree with me that just because we cannot
see something with our eyes—such as our mind, gravity,
magnetism, the wind—that does not mean it doesn’t
exist?

Yes, you gave examples didn't you?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 8:11pm On Jul 04, 2014
@timmy2409.
I've read your post.
Lol @ pink unicorn grin

Let me take the stand of the article you posted as your stand. Heavy points in there and worthy of consideration by any open minded christain.

But all of that only tries to negate the existence of the christain god. It doesn't necessarily prove that there is no God at all.
Does disproving the existence of the christain god disprove the existence of God in general?
All over the world people believe in all sorts of gods.
What that article says is the christain god can't be true.
Is that what you're saying too?
I take yes as the answer to that.
So have you looked at other religions and tried to understand 'their gods?'
Or do you choose not to believe just because?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 8:26pm On Jul 04, 2014
cococandy: Here are some frequently asked questions for atheists.
Anyone feel free to pick any number and explain to me what they think.

1. Are you absolutely sure there is no God? If not, then is it not possible that there is a God? And if it is possible that God exists, then can you think of any reason that would keep you from wanting to look at the evidence?

If God exists the way religion paints it, then we wouldn't be here arguing it. If there's anything that will lead us to the knowledge of God, i believe it'll be science. Science has gone to the moon and outer space, why couldn't God strike them down as He did during the "tower of Babel".

2. Would you agree that intelligently designed things call for an intelligent designer of them? If so, then would you agree that evidence for intelligent design in the universe would be evidence for a designer of the universe?

I've asked, who is the designer of this great designer? If this "creator/designer" is uncaused, the universe could aswell be uncaused. Maybe, the universe is just eternal. Besides, what do you consider as intelligence? many confuse complexity for intelligence. As such, what you consider "intelligent" today, may turn out to be a common knowledge in 2000years to come.

3. Would you agree that nothing cannot produce something? If so, then if the universe did not exist but then came to exist, wouldn’t this be evidence of a cause beyond the universe?

That is what science is seeking. At best, it would be cowardice and unscience to jump to the conclusion that it is "Yahweh" or "Allah" or"Krishna", "Zeus", "Shivu", "Amadioha" or "Shintoa".
It could also be that some ancient alien scientist developed this universe.

4. Would you agree with me that just because we cannot see something with our eyes—such as our mind, gravity, magnetism, the wind—that does not mean it doesn’t exist?

It is true that such things do exist. They can be measured and their movement/characteristics observed. But they never claim to be the all-knowing, omnipresent, omnipotent, omni-omni and require us to worship them.
Religionists tell me that the life i'm living is borrowed. But, i ask them, if you borrowed something from someone, won't you know and have seen the person. I mean, the borrower and the borrowee.

5. Would you also agree that just because we cannot see God with our eyes does not necessarily mean He does?

I'm an agnostic, and as such I accede. But, i'm very sure that you do not know Him either. One other freaking truth about the God concept is that He/it/She does not give a f*ck about us. And he never descended to come and give anybody 10 dos and don'ts.

10. Is there anything wrong anywhere? If so, how can we know unless there is a moral law?

Morality is not a product of religion. Morality is a product of society. You and I. That is why it is a geographical, socio-cultural concept. What is right in Nigeria may not be right in India. Morality also evolves. Hence, at a time, territorial invasion, r.ape, murder, slave trade were once normal/regular things.
With or without religion, morality is a choice. That is why we must all join hands, and to our possible best, ensure that justice is achieved equally while here on earth than waiting for a messed up after-life episode.

People sometimes ask me: "why do you do good?"
My reply has been, because i want "good" to happen. Change is not by propaganda, but in "action(s)".

5 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 8:28pm On Jul 04, 2014
Apatheist:
I'm sorry if I was getting argumentative..

it's alright smiley

Religion says god is perfect.
How can you believe in a god and not believe in religion?

well I like to think I'm honest. So honestly I understand religion to be man's quest to understand God.like I told you before,I'm christain because I was born christain. I may disagree with the principles and teachings of other religions(and I do)but in the depth of my heart,I've never seen other religions as inferior. I don't have the if-you-don't-believe-in-jesus-you're-going-to-hell mindset.
You see I'm aware people once believed in and worshipped Zeus who is a myth today but very real as of then. It is also possible that 3000yrs from now, Jehovah and Allah will be myths taught in schools as the gods of ancient people and then they might laugh at our funny beliefs and wonder how human beings could have reasoned the way we did.
what does that say about religion? It just shows that religion is dynamic and as long as the human race exists,we will not rest in our quest to discover and truly explain God. It is not counter-intuitive

That is counter-intuitive.
I believe there can be a creator- or creators- but is none of the religious ones.
ok then. But that means You're not atheist in the real sense of it. Thanks for your time

Again, I apologize if it seems I am argumentative. smiley
smiley
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 8:35pm On Jul 04, 2014
@ qstar. Convincing points you put up there.

But I don't agree with the complexity being confused for intelligence part. That's simply not true.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by UrbanMystique: 8:37pm On Jul 04, 2014
Apatheist:
Logicboy, I see you. wink
I'm not logicboy.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jul 04, 2014
cococandy: smiley
Thank you for understanding. smiley
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 04, 2014
UrbanMystique: I'm not logicboy.
Sorry. My bad. embarassed
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by UrbanMystique: 8:46pm On Jul 04, 2014
Apatheist:
Sorry. My bad. embarassed
It's okay. smiley
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by obisage(m): 9:03pm On Jul 04, 2014
this is one topic I'd love to follow.
I'm not fully an Atheist, but a free
thinker for now. it's possible there
is/are a/some supernatural being/s
out there. but until they make themselves
known one on one to me. I may wish to
remain the way I am now.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jul 04, 2014
Well... To the atheists, how do you explain the wonders people like T.B Joshua perform?

For instance, a MOG calling someone he has never met before and telling him/her what was unknown to anyother person.

Does the supernatural exist?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by urheme: 9:13pm On Jul 04, 2014
Apatheist:
Yes, science evil.
You'd rather think menstruation makes a woman unclean because the Bible says so.
Or leprosy is incurable because the Bible says so.
Or the general life expectancy to reduce.
Or for there to be no computers, no phones, no Internet.
Or for us to be living in the stone age.

See the reasoning of black people.?
Little wonder we are behind the world.

If you believe science is evil, stop using things made with science, break your phone, burn your house, tear your clothes.
Put on loin clothes, tend goats and live in mud houses like your ancestors.

You shall not be missed. The IQ of the people on the Internet will increase.

Point of correction, BUSHman.
I am not a black man

Your heart is filled with anger and i wonder why,
You have made your submissions, bravo!!

So tell me,
How does internet, computers, phones and all your stupid robotic toys and mechanical gadget elongate a man's life on earth?

How does tending goat and living in mud houses shortens a man's life, when our acestors lived longer than the computer age man.

What is so special about the life you are living now?
You think being on nairaland forum make you any civilised? Keep wallowing in computer animation
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 9:27pm On Jul 04, 2014
urheme:
So tell me,
How does internet, computers, phones and all your stupid robotic toys and mechanical gadget elongate a man's life on earth?

How does tending goat and living in mud houses shortens a man's life, when our acestors lived longer than the computer age man.

You think being on nairaland forum make you any civilised? Keep wallowing in computer animation

Left to people like you. We would still have been in the stone age.
Left to people like you, we would still have been believing that the earth is the centre of the universe(geocentrism), we would still have been believing that the Solar eclipse is due to an intercourse between the Sun-god and Luna.

Evolution is real. You either evolve with us or quit this universe.

Now, stop derailing the thread, stick to OP.

4 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jul 04, 2014
urheme:

Point of correction, BUSHman.
I am not a black man

Black woman then.

Your heart is filled with anger and i wonder why,
You have made your submissions, bravo!!

[quote] So tell me,
You are kidding, right?
have you ever been to the hospital in a developed country?
If they are stupid, why do you keep using them?

[quote[How does tending goat and living in mud houses shortens a man's life, when our acestors lived longer than the computer age man.
I didn't say goat herding decreased life expectancy.
Really? they lived longer? explains why my grandmother had 12 children and only 2 lived past 10 years.

What's special? let's see...
I gave a higher chance of living
I an not walking naked
I wouldn't have been killed for being a twin
I have the internet, books, and civilization, etc.

If you do not like science and its benefits, no one is forcing you to use the internet.

3 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 9:43pm On Jul 04, 2014
cococandy: @ qstar. Convincing points you put up there.

But I don't agree with the complexity being confused for intelligence part. That's simply not true.

You need to define, with illustration, what you mean by intelligence.

If i can travel back 900yrs backwards and show people my Android phone, Laptop, grenade, nuclear weapons, internet and telecommunication services, they'd probably start worshipping me as God, or a son of the gods.

A religionist once told me that because the anatomy of the brain is so complex currently, it proves that a God exists.

Now, is that what you call intelligence? and has such intelligence demanded that we worship it?

2 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by urheme: 9:45pm On Jul 04, 2014
qstar:

Left to people like you. We would still have been in the stone age.
Left to people like you, we would still have been believing that the earth is the centre of the universe(geocentrism), we would still have been believing that the Solar eclipse is due to an intercourse between the Sun-god and Luna.

Evolution is real. You either evolve with us or quit this universe.

Now, stop derailing the thread, stick to OP.

I don't blame you at all, you manage pass english for waec abi neco.
We shall all quit this univers except you,
Hope your evolution theory will help u evolve into something that is incapable of dying. When death comes to knock on your door you will know whether God exist or not
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jul 04, 2014
[quote author=kolawaxxy]Well... To the atheists, how do you explain the wonders people like T.B Joshua perform?

You mean the failed prophecies?
Or do you mean Pastor Chris' staged "healing miracles"?

[quote]For instance, a MOG calling someone he has never met before and telling him/her what was unknown to anyother person.
I can tell your name is Kolawole, and you are Yoruba.
There is a great evil awaiting you, sow a seed of R50,000 into my account and I'll pray for you. smiley

Depends on what you mean by "supernatural"

2 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jul 04, 2014
I'm dangling between Agnosticism and Theism. When I'm done reading and researching the bible. I'll know where I fall in grin grin

For now, Christians have ABSOLUTELY no answer to some questions I've raised, especially the thread I opened prior to the whole NL crashing saga. The responses would have helped a great deal, but alas, it was avoided. lol
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 9:56pm On Jul 04, 2014
masonkz: I'm dangling between Agnosticism and Theism. When I'm done reading and researching the bible. I'll know where I fall in grin grin

For now, Christians have ABSOLUTELY no answer to some questions I've raised, especially the thread I opened prior to the whole NL crashing saga. The responses would have helped a great deal, but alas, it was avoided. lol

Science says, come, let's unravel the truth together without fears and prejudice.

5 Likes

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by onetrack(m): 10:00pm On Jul 04, 2014
cococandy: You're agnostic means you're open to conviction just like seun.
What kind of proof will convince you?

I agree too that religion is man made.

I am willing to go wherever the evidence takes me. However, the standard of proof is very high. This god would have to essentially show himself/herself to me in a direct fashion. Real miracles would help as well.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by onetrack(m): 10:02pm On Jul 04, 2014
kolawaxxy: Well... To the atheists, how do you explain the wonders people like T.B Joshua perform?

For instance, a MOG calling someone he has never met before and telling him/her what was unknown to anyother person.

That stuff can easily be arranged. Jim Jones and Peter Popoff have done stuff like that before with a little help from friends and technology.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by cococandy(f): 10:30pm On Jul 04, 2014
qstar:

You need to define, with illustration, what you mean by intelligence.

If i can travel back 900yrs backwards and show people my Android phone, Laptop, grenade, nuclear weapons, internet and telecommunication services, they'd probably start worshipping me as God, or a son of the gods.

A religionists once told me that because the anatomy of the brain is so complex currently, it proves that a God exists.

Now, is that what you call intelligence? and has such intelligence demanded that we worship it?

Ok I get what you mean by intelligence here. No that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about awareness,purpose and obvious intention in the characteristics of created things.
Not because the brain has a billion neurons do I see it as a work intelligence.
No. But because it was clearly designed for a purpose.did all those parts know by themselves to come together and work together for a united purpose just out of the blues? It seems improbable to me.
Such things to me cannot have come out of a mindless event
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 10:45pm On Jul 04, 2014
cococandy:

Ok I get what you mean by intelligence here. No that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about awareness,purpose and obvious intention in the characteristics of created things.
Not because the brain has a billion neurons do I see it as a work intelligence.
No. But because it was clearly designed for a purpose.did all those parts know by themselves to come together and work together for a united purpose just out of the blues? It seems improbable to me.
Such things to me cannot have come out of a mindless event

No one really knows. But, i'd rather take my chances and seek answers to these unknowns, than make up a religion outta it and stoop to worship my ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by simdam500(m): 10:50pm On Jul 04, 2014
urheme: Look outside the walls of religion, you will find the proves you are looking for.
and i think that why they've gathered here together to look outside every religion... The only tin i think they need again is look outside SCIENCE for once
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by urheme: 10:57pm On Jul 04, 2014
simdam500: and i think that why they've gathered here together to look outside every religion... The only tin i think they need again is look outside SCIENCE for once

I agree with you
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jul 04, 2014
simdam500: and i think that why they've gathered here together to look outside every religion... The only tin i think they need again is look outside SCIENCE for once
How can you look outside science?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by qstar(m): 11:04pm On Jul 04, 2014
Apatheist:

This guy, you like argument o. Just ignore the side-talks. Religion is a greater bullshit than science. So, no need arguing.

1 Like

Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by urheme: 11:23pm On Jul 04, 2014
@apatheist

People still die in your computer age hospital, where is dora, kafee etc and sorry about your grand mother eating all her children, pigs do too.

I love the benefit of science no doubt but the point is it does not prove the non existence of God, it will still kill me anyway so why should i capitalize on it

Apatheist:

By telling ur self that science is not life, rather it is bullshit
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 11:24pm On Jul 04, 2014
qstar:

This guy, you like argument o.
Not really.

Just curious.
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jul 04, 2014
urheme: @apatheist

People still die in your computer age hospital, where is dora, kafee etc and sorry about your grand mother eating all her children, pigs do too.
What so you mean by the bolded?

I love the benefit of science no doubt but the point is it does not prove the non existence of God, it will still kill me anyway so why should i capitalize on it

By telling ur self that science is not life, rather it is bullshit
Why do you like contradicting yourself?
Do you eat bullshit in your village?
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Emmaomotob(m): 11:53pm On Jul 04, 2014
Seun: Ok, what should we discuss?
The existence of magic is the best proof of God's existence,can big bang also prove the beginning of magic.Pascal said:believe and forfeit little enjoyment,don't and end you moribund and miserable life in Hell.The worst gambler won't choose later.
SEUN WATCH LEST YOU FALL COS YOU MIGHT NEVER RISE AGAIN. sad
Re: Atheists. Come In Let's Discuss. by Nobody: 1:42am On Jul 05, 2014
Emmaomotob: The existence of magic is the best proof of God's existence,can big bang also prove the beginning of magic.
SEUN WATCH LEST YOU FALL COS YOU MIGHT NEVER RISE AGAIN. sad

Not all atheists are evolutionists. Some believe the universe was developed by some aliens. Still some others believe that God is dead. Apathei.sts and apatheistic agnostics consider it a useless effort and knowledge. Some others belief "energy" is same as God. The common denominator is that they do not believe the religious gods. And they do not believe in life afterdeath, nor reincarnation.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (26) (Reply)

Don't Campaign On Pulpit, Adeboye Warns Redeemed Pastors. / Shiloh: I Became A Minister After Bishop Oyedepo Prayed For Me - Betta Edu / Enough Of The 'Let's Go Fishing', Why Not 'Let's Go Problem Solving'?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.