Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,595 members, 7,801,707 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 08:53 PM

Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations (11541 Views)

Atrocities Committed At Nnpc Mega Station Lafia, Nasarawa State. / What I Saw At NNPC Gas Station. / Top 5 Signs Of A Bad Fuel Injector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Piyke: 2:51pm On Jul 04, 2014
It's a pity but its real, for some time now (about 6weeks) my 03' Accord had been having starting issues. It was quite classical; first start for the day would be sluggish i.e. instead of the RPM rising to 1500 immediately, it would hover at 500rpm for like 2-3 secs before rising to the usual 1500. This would also repeat itself once the car was left for a long time. It later progressed to stalling on first start and then upon second crank it would start as normal as though it had no problems.

The most amazing thing in this was that there was no CHECK ENGINE light!!!

I have been a steady customer of NNPC Mega station, the main one in Owerri.

In the course of my DIY cheesy attempts at fixing the issue, I had pulled out the fuel pump assembly and cleaned it thoroughly. Whilst on that I found some drops of water and tiny black masses (gum like in consistency). After this fix I poured in some injector cleaner, had some relief for about 2 weeks but the problem crept back.

It was my mechanic who suggested that I drive the current tank to reserve and then add another fuel injector cleaner. That I did and for 2days now the car has started in the mornings instantly without any hesitation.

For now, no NNPC (Mega) for me angry

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by ggrin(f): 3:03pm On Jul 04, 2014
Ok
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jul 04, 2014
Thats cool. But for your ride to rise up to 1500rpm on cranking, i think its a bit very odd. At most it should be 1200/1300rpm.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Piyke: 9:58pm On Jul 04, 2014
chiebube: Thats cool. But for your ride to rise up to 1500rpm on cranking, i think its a bit very odd. At most it should be 1200/1300rpm.

1500 is right on spec, it then gradually drops to 750-800rpm once the car reaches operating temperature

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Ikenna351(m): 6:35am On Jul 05, 2014
Piyke:

1500 is right on spec, it then gradually drops to 750-800rpm once the car reaches operating temperature

Are you sure that 1500 rpm at cold start is your car spec? Because none of my Lions have ever gone beyond 1k rpm at cold start, no matter how cold coolant or weather is. My ES9J4S would gradually drop and stays at 600 - 650 rpm, while my ZN3J will drop to 750 rpm and stays there.

Unless Honda injection/ignition system is that different, anyway.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Ikenna351(m): 10:31am On Jul 05, 2014
Last month, I Drove into NNPC fuel station at Zone 1, Wuse (not mega station) to refuel. Saw a guy who just bought a fuel in a white can on one of the pumps. The fuel color was dark red, meaning Lead fuel (bad for EFI system). I quickly turned round and drove out.

Unfortunately, I have been buying fuel from that station. Never knew what I was buying until that day. Now my 2 upstream sensors of my SV D9 are dead. Reason has become obvious to me.

Ikenna

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Ohjerry: 11:25am On Jul 05, 2014
[size=18pt]Naija..................[/size]

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by saasala(m): 11:29am On Jul 05, 2014
There is a type of fuel they call rice and beans, thats what they sell everywhere. It is mixed with kerosine or diesel. It could kock down your engine.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Coldfeet(f): 11:30am On Jul 05, 2014
Bad fuel from NNPC? Are we doomed in this country or what?

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:30am On Jul 05, 2014
Also avoid buying petrol after heavy rains, iv seen countless number of clients with water in their tanks after buying contaminated petrol caused by leaking underground tanks from the fuel stations.

Their complaints alwas stem from buying petrol during or after rainfal.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:30am On Jul 05, 2014
Piyke: It's a pity but its real, for some time now (about 6weeks) my 03' Accord had been having starting issues. It was quite classical; first start for the day would be sluggish i.e. instead of the RPM rising to 1500 immediately, it would hover at 500rpm for like 2-3 secs before rising to the usual 1500. This would also repeat itself once the car was left for a long time. It later progressed to stalling on first start and then upon second crank it would start as normal as though it had no problems.

The most amazing thing in this was that there was no CHECK ENGINE light!!!

I have been a steady customer of NNPC Mega station, the main one in Owerri.

In the course of my DIY cheesy attempts at fixing the issue, I had pulled out the fuel pump assembly and cleaned it thoroughly. Whilst on that I found some drops of water and tiny black masses (gum like in consistency). After this fix I poured in some injector cleaner, had some relief for about 2 weeks but the problem crept back.

It was my mechanic who suggested that I drive the current tank to reserve and then add another fuel injector cleaner. That I did and for 2days now the car has started in the mornings instantly without any hesitation.

For now, no NNPC (Mega) for me angry
Is this why you said we should not buy fuel from NNPC mega stations?
Ok, we don hear you.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 05, 2014
Nigeria,nothing,or nowhere is safe..even govt owned institution..imagine NNPC selling adulterated fuel.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by sharawwy(m): 11:32am On Jul 05, 2014
This is Naija,xpect anytin...
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by TRADELYN: 11:33am On Jul 05, 2014
OK
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by siaco(m): 11:34am On Jul 05, 2014
Thanks 4 d info, i must be careful 2 select fillingstations wen i buy my 1st car, but 4 now i don't mind any 4 my i better pass my Neighbor generator.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by sleekman(m): 11:41am On Jul 05, 2014
Why all these misinformation. If d fuel is real pinkish then that's our 9ja fuel straight from our refineries. They are d best cos it unleaded and d octane content is very high. This means ur engine delivers much better optimally with our fuel. In d west there is leaded and unleaded fuel with a remarkable difference. So please check ur engines or fuel tanks.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by myspnigeria: 11:44am On Jul 05, 2014
No be small thing..... Thanks for sharing this
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by akatonero(m): 11:49am On Jul 05, 2014
Naija kpalava I hail ooooooh. Today this and tomorrow that.....
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by JideTheBlogger(m): 11:49am On Jul 05, 2014
thanks for the update.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Innodon(m): 11:52am On Jul 05, 2014
Noted
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Godfullsam(m): 11:52am On Jul 05, 2014
And what makes u think fuel is d reason for d problem in ur car? I thought Nigeria is one of d producer of best unleaded fuel in d world..
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by shaggy007(m): 11:55am On Jul 05, 2014
chiebube: Thats cool. But for your ride to rise up to 1500rpm on cranking, i think its a bit very odd. At most it should be 1200/1300rpm.

Piyke:

Ikenna351:

Are you sure that 1500 rpm at cold start is your car spec? Because none of my Lions have ever gone beyond 1k rpm at cold start, no matter how cold coolant or weather is. My ES9J4S would gradually drop and stays at 600 - 650 rpm, while my ZN3J will drop to 750 rpm and stays there.

Unless Honda injection/ignition system is that different, anyway.

Ikenna

Abeg after una don speak finish, make sure you avoid NNPC mega stations or the configurations of your car go change. Na there you go sabi say your car has a mind of its own, no be all these things una dey talk.

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Eyop: 11:56am On Jul 05, 2014
@OP you can experience same problem from other filling stations as well is not all about NNPC Mega station. Thank God you are driving a Japanese that can tolerate some fuel types unlike some Europe cars that requires premium unleaded fuel with a minimum 91 RON octane level. In Nigeria all join i.e buying leaded and unleaded fuel without differentiating the two and i don't even know the standard octane level of Nigerian fuel whether it's even up to 91 RON.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by begwong: 11:56am On Jul 05, 2014
The worst is the mixture of kero which the marketers gets cheaply with the premium motor spirit a.k.a petrol these days.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Eyop: 11:58am On Jul 05, 2014
Godfullsam: And what makes u think fuel is d reason for d problem in ur car? I thought Nigeria is one of d producer of best unleaded fuel in d world..
I don't think Nigeria has one of the best unleaded fuel in the world
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by sleekman(m): 11:59am On Jul 05, 2014
If in doubt please follow this link. Some cars cannot use high octane content fuel effectively while some others thrive on it. This brings me to d electic power delivered 2 homes. Due to substandard electrical products sold in d market the standard electrical current isn't supplied rather whenever it gets 2 d standard and bulbs begin 2 blow then we complain that d voltage is 2 high. www.fleetcare.com.au/news-info/fleet-beat-blog/june-2012/the-high-octane-debate-what-petrol-are-you.aspx
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by LordReed(m): 12:02pm On Jul 05, 2014
Here in Naija there is no differentiation between leaded and unleaded fuel we just buy fuel so we play Russian roulette with our engines. I've always suspected that some roughness in my engine performance is because of bad fuel but I have no way of verifying because I don't buy from one station.

5 Likes

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Eyop: 12:03pm On Jul 05, 2014
sleekman: If in doubt please follow this link. Some cars cannot use high octane content fuel effectively while some others thrive on it. This brings me to d electic power delivered 2 homes. Due to substandard electrical products sold in d market the standard electrical current isn't supplied rather whenever it gets 2 d standard and bulbs begin 2 blow then we complain that d voltage is 2 high. www.fleetcare.com.au/news-info/fleet-beat-blog/june-2012/the-high-octane-debate-what-petrol-are-you.aspx
It's better to buy fuel with a higher Octane level than a lower one. But in Nigeria our filling stations doesn't have Octane ratings.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Godfullsam(m): 12:03pm On Jul 05, 2014
[quote author=Eyop]
[color=#000099]I don't think Nigeria has one of the best unleaded fuel in the world

Nigeria is next to Iraq as one of d best producers of unleaded fuel. Why do u think d U.S imports fuel from d two countries?
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by Eyop: 12:05pm On Jul 05, 2014
[quote author=Godfullsam][/quote]
Are you sure of your findings? What i am aware is that Nigeria has the best Crude oil in the world not Fuel

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by sleekman(m): 12:11pm On Jul 05, 2014
[quote author=Godfullsam][/quote] Are u kidding me? Nigerian fuel is d best in d world. Its more expensive and has lower sulphur content. Refining is where d koko is. Our refineries might be cutting corners but there is no denying d excellence of our crude.
Re: Beware Of Bad Fuel At NNPC Mega-Stations by clemz85(m): 12:20pm On Jul 05, 2014
you just detailed my ordeal currently, now I know

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need Help, My Car Battery Is Draining Itself! / DRIVING Tips:what To Do If The Road Is Flooded / What Are The Issues With Golf 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.