Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,825 members, 7,802,638 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:01 PM

Tourism Management As A Discipline In Nigerian Universities - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tourism Management As A Discipline In Nigerian Universities (1970 Views)

Celebrating World Tourism Day 2015 - My Beautiful Nigeria (pictures Included) / Tourism Can Bring Serious Income to Nigeria / Many Die in Nigerian Plane Crash (Sosoliso) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tourism Management As A Discipline In Nigerian Universities by jswift: 8:28pm On Jul 04, 2014
I am a student of uniport studying hospitality management and tourism. actually a 100 level student. initially my plan was to go for Accounting which I did but along the line ended up in this department.

At first it was crazy, I was like what kind of course is this. I totally disapproved of it. wanted to take jamb again but I got loads of advice to stick to the course. I did some research about the course and i think am down with it, as a matter of fact am through with my first first semester.

tourism in the world at large is taking new dimensions. some countries generate more than 80% of its revenue from tourism. so guys I want to know your take on this. what do u think about hospitality management and tourism as a discipline? At what level do you see Nigerian tourism scheme in the next 10 years?. what are our hopes as students under this discipline?
Re: Tourism Management As A Discipline In Nigerian Universities by matrixme(m): 8:52pm On Jul 04, 2014
Do clarify. Are you asking about the prospects of tourism in Nigeria or your chances as a student studying it?
Re: Tourism Management As A Discipline In Nigerian Universities by jswift: 9:57pm On Jul 04, 2014
yea,,,,the prospects basically
Re: Tourism Management As A Discipline In Nigerian Universities by matrixme(m): 10:49pm On Jul 04, 2014
well, pray our dear country overcomes local terrorism and other violent issues, we are quite blessed with tourism hotspots. Not as much as Kenya, Uganda and other African countries, I'd say; especially as we have killed all our wildlife. Take for example, Sambissa forest was at a point in time, a game reserve, now a base for the much dreaded Book Haram. No right thinking foreigner would currently want to go to the northern part of Nigeria for tourism, I would sadly say. Even, down south and across every part of Nigeria, it is still with extreme caution. I was on chat with an Ugandan recently, and I learnt there is a high concentration of white people that do come there frequently for tourism, thus improving local economy. And there is noo fear of being kidnapped there. If we repair our systems, cultivate peace with ourselves, and unite cultural differences, foreigners could actually come to observe our lifestyle one day. Meanwhile, tourism is a big potential for Nigeria, and it depends on young minds like yours to bring it to mainstream. Do consider and study more on eco-tourism, because it is a more responsible form of tourism that doesn't harm the environment. Best Wishes!
Re: Tourism Management As A Discipline In Nigerian Universities by jswift: 11:05pm On Jul 04, 2014
matrixme: well, pray our dear country overcomes local terrorism and other violent issues, we are quite blessed with tourism hotspots. Not as much as Kenya, Uganda and other African countries, I'd say; especially as we have killed all our wildlife. Take for example, Sambissa forest was at a point in time, a game reserve, now a base for the much dreaded Book Haram. No right thinking foreigner would currently want to go to the northern part of Nigeria for tourism, I would sadly say. Even, down south and across every part of Nigeria, it is still with extreme caution. I was on chat with an Ugandan recently, and I learnt there is a high concentration of white people that do come there frequently for tourism, thus improving local economy. And there is noo fear of being kidnapped there. If we repair our systems, cultivate peace with ourselves, and unite cultural differences, foreigners could actually come to observe our lifestyle one day. Meanwhile, tourism is a big potential for Nigeria, and it depends on young minds like yours to bring it to mainstream. Do consider and study more on eco-tourism, because it is a more responsible form of tourism that doesn't harm the environment. Best Wishes!

thank you for that. pls could u share a little light on this eco tourism
Re: Tourism Management As A Discipline In Nigerian Universities by testional(m): 12:55am On Jul 05, 2014
Insecurity in this nation is a major hindrance for Tourism wax strong in tourism. As a tourist u won't risk your life going for vacation in any in secure destination.
Re: Tourism Management As A Discipline In Nigerian Universities by jswift: 7:00am On Jul 05, 2014
testional: Insecurity in this nation is a major hindrance for Tourism wax strong in tourism. As a tourist u won't risk your life going for vacation in any in secure destination.

yea your ryt,,, but with peace in Nigeria, maybe in the next few years do u think Nigeria will compete favorably with other African countries in tourist attraction?
Re: Tourism Management As A Discipline In Nigerian Universities by samtol4(m): 6:17pm On Jul 06, 2014
@op nice decision by you .Tourism is a highly dynamic, continuously expanding and developing phenomenon .it has experienced remarkable growth in recent years, and the tourism sector is now of the industries that generate the highest levels of employment in the world. kinds/types of TOURISM :1.sport tourism 2.social tourism 3medical tourism 4.religious tourism 5.educational tourism 6tourism management 7.voluntarily tourism 8cultural tourism and etc .Tourism is a noble course and it is ripe for development ,many countries of the world are making huge revenue from it and gradually the Nigerian government has realized the huge benefit of tourism .Dear friend your decision is 100percent good ensure that you score a good grade in your undergraduate so that you can pursue international scholarship abroad .you can join international organizations like ATLAS ,TRINET ,ISTO etc , so that you equip yourself. NOTE .it is FREE to join
Re: Tourism Management As A Discipline In Nigerian Universities by Ivoryred(f): 10:34am On Jul 14, 2016
jswift:
I am a student of uniport studying hospitality management and tourism. actually a 100 level student. initially my plan was to go for Accounting which I did but along the line ended up in this department.

At first it was crazy, I was like what kind of course is this. I totally disapproved of it. wanted to take jamb again but I got loads of advice to stick to the course. I did some research about the course and i think am down with it, as a matter of fact am through with my first first semester.

tourism in the world at large is taking new dimensions. some countries generate more than 80% of its revenue from tourism. so guys I want to know your take on this. what do u think about hospitality management and tourism as a discipline? At what level do you see Nigerian tourism scheme in the next 10 years?. what are our hopes as students under this discipline?

i really wanna study this course....what's ur take on this? Am a science student.....is it possible for me?

Can you help me list the school that offers this course,apart from uniport.thanks

(1) (Reply)

See Nigerians Waiting Outside The Malaysian Embassy / Breaking: DanaAir Plane Crash Lands In Port Harcourt / Asian Institute Of Technology International Scholarship In Thailand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.