Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,897 members, 7,799,005 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:44 PM

Studying In US And Canada Faq's - Educational Services - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Educational Services / Studying In US And Canada Faq's (57863 Views)

Unn 2015/16 Departmental Cut-off Mark (faq) / Universities In US And Canada That Doesn't Require GRE / Tution Free Universities In Norway, Sweden And Canada Urgent Please! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 1:01am On Jul 05, 2014
I want to study abroad, most especially in Europe, US and Canada. How do I go about it?
I do not have much information about schools in Europe. However, I do post some opportunities for Europe based on the scholarship alerts I receive. You can always visit the websites of the post I make for European schools and read more about specific scholarship. For US and Canadian schools, I can provide some information.

I know you do not have much information about the EU but I am also interested in US and Canadian Schools. How do I go about it?
The first step is for you to go to google, type in “ US Universities + your course of study” if you are interested in the US. You can do a similar search for Canadian schools by replacing US with Canada in your search. It will bring out several schools and you can go through these schools one-by-one.

What are the requirements for getting into the US and Canadian schools?
Kindly note that different schools have different requirements and so you have to carefully navigate through their graduate school website to have an idea of the requirements. It is not enough to just go through the graduate school website, you should also go through the website of your intended department as individual department do have additional requirements in addition to that of the graduate school. Some schools specify this type of requirement as “Program requirements”. For some schools, the major requirements for admission into US and Canadian schools are the results of your undergraduate degree, letters of recommendation, transcripts, a Statement of purpose and for most of the schools (most especially in the US and some schools in Canada), the GRE (Graduate Record Examination).

What is the most important criteria out of the ones listed above?
I will say that your undergraduate records and the GRE are ranked highest when schools are considering students for admission and funding. Some schools even place more emphasis on your performance in the GRE than your undergraduate record. This is because the educational system varies from one country to another. So the GRE creates an avenue to evaluate students from various educational backgrounds and finally helps the admission committee to evaluate and rank applications to their program. Admission and funding (scholarships) are given to applicants based on this ranking. Once funding is exhausted, other applicants are given an alternative to either fund themselves, or they are denied admission.

Is there a difference between funding and scholarship?
Funding and scholarships are the same in this context. Funding are given in form of teaching or research assistantship or fellowships (with teaching assistant, some or (mostly all the time) all of your tuition is paid with some stipends by teaching/ assisting in teaching of some undergraduate classes, while with research assistant, you work with a professor helping s/he on a research work) . This includes tuition waiver, health insurance and monthly stipend.
I would like to know the admission policies of the US and Canadian universities if they review applications before the set deadline (First come first serve basis) and I would also like to know if decisions on scholarships and assistantantships are made after the deadline or prior.
I will suggest that you go to the websites of the schools you are applying to as different schools have different policies as regards scholarships but they usually specify it on the department website. As far as I know I think most schools consider all applications together after the deadline and not on a first-come first-serve basis. I will just suggest that you take your time to thoroughly go through your departmental website in each of the schools you are applying to and if you have further questions, you can send an email to the graduate coordinator and all your questions and concerns will be adequately addressed.

Are there schools in US and Canada that do not require GRE?
Yes, there are schools in the US and Canada that do not require GRE. As a result, I think these schools receive a lot of applications from all over the world which makes it highly competitive due to their less stringent criteria (As regards the GRE).

Since some schools do not require GRE, do you encourage me to apply to these schools without GRE?
As a result of my own experience with this kind of issue, I will advise that only first class students should apply to these schools (even though their chances of getting into these schools might be slim due to high number of applicants from all over the world) but I will strongly recommend doing GRE should in case this doesn’t work as planned.

Since the chances of getting into these schools without the GRE is slim, please tell me more about the GRE.
GRE (Graduate record examination) is a computer adaptive test (I mean the one taken in Nigeria because some countries like China do have paper based GRE tests) that entrants into most US and Canadian graduate schools have to take in order to get admitted for graduate program and also to get funded. It is an aptitude test which could be a General test or a subject test. Most schools usually do not require subject test and you can always find a school that do not require a subject test. You can read more about the GRE from www.gre.org
The General test consists of Quantitative and Verbal reasoning which is similar to our secondary school mathematics. So the exam is not hard. Do not listen to people that are pessimistic about writing the exam. It is all about time management. Once you have good materials in the exam, you will do very well in it.

When can I write the GRE?
Before Nigeria was ban by GRE, You can write the GRE on any working day throughout the year. Once you are ready, you can schedule your exam date yourself and go take the exam on the scheduled date. However, they now write the GRE weekends (usually Friday and Saturday)

What is the Best time to write the GRE?
The best time to write the GRE is on or before the 15th of December (in order to meet up with the application deadline for most schools). The idea is that application of most of the schools close by the 15th of January of every year for the fall (September) admission. So if you take the exam by the 15th of December, your results will be sent out to the schools you are applying after 2 weeks of taking the exam. This essence of this is to give allowance for the results to get to the schools you are applying to before the deadline.

How do I register for the exam?
You can go to register for the exam at the centers in Nigeria. However, I have learnt that they charge more than the exam fee (185 US dollars). As a result, I will advise that if you have someone who can help you register in the US, that will be a great idea. They will just register on your behalf for the day you want to write the exam and the confirmation page for the registration will be sent to your email automatically. A print out of the confirmation page is needed for you to be permitted into the exam. Also note that a means of identification in form of an international passport is needed for you to be admitted into the exam. You can check all the requirements on this link http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/test_day/.
I have also found out that you can register yourself online with visa and mastercard.

Where can I take the exam in Nigeria?
The exam can be taken at First Logic, No 30 Oba Akran Avenue, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria. There are also centers at First Logic in Abuja, Nigeria.
Please note that there are other centers in Lagos, Abuja and Portharcourt but I do not have the details at the moment.

Do I have to go to an institute for lessons on the GRE?
You do not need to go to an institute for lessons on the GRE. All you need are good study materials that will help in adequate preparation for the exam. I will recommend the following materials for you: I think based on reviews, Gruber's GRE is the best. you can also use BARON and Princeton. you may be able to download these materials from libgen.info or en.bookfi.org

I have been to the website of some schools in the US and Canada and they do require TOEFL. Do I also need to do TOEFL?
I will advise that you contact the school you intend to apply to first. They will be able to tell you more about the TOEFL requirement. I will say no because Nigeria is an Anglophone country and you can always let the school know this before you make your applications at all. If the school insists that you do TOEFL, then you can kindly search for other schools because most of these schools will always waive TOEFL for Nigerians.

I have a 2:2. Do I stand a chance of getting admitted and funded?
I will tell you a story of a friend who had a 2:2 from University of Ife and He is now in the US with full funding (Tuition waiver and stipend) from His school.
What most school requires is a CGPA of 3.0 on a US scale of 4. This guy had a 3.4 on a scale of 5.0 from one of the Nigerian Universities which is a 2:2 and it is directly equivalent to less than 3.0 on the US scale of 4.
There is a body in the US called WES (World Evaluation Service www.wes.org). What they do is to evaluate transcripts from other countries of the world on the US scale of 4. When the guy did His WES evaluation, the report showed that He has a CGPA of over 3.0 on a US scale of 4 which gave Him an advantage of getting into a US Graduate program. What now strengthened His competitiveness was his score in an Exam called the GRE (Graduate Record Examination www.gre.org).The GRE is like the most important criterion after one’s undergraduate result that schools in US consider in admitting and funding students. This Guy had a very high score in the GRE and this helped him. That was how He was able to get admission and funding
The Scenario of the person you described above is a scenario of someone at the border of a 2:1. I am in the lower 2:2. What is my fate?
The essence of my story is that you can follow the same process. There are some schools which require a CGPA of 2.5 to get into the graduate program. So I am optimistic that by the time they finish your WES evaluation, you will have more than 2.5 which will give you an advantage of getting into the programs with the 2.5 CGPA requirement. If you now do very well in your GRE, you will stand a very good chance of getting funded (Tuition waiver, health insurance and Monthly stipend).
How do I search for Schools?
You can search for schools by typing “Department of Forestry US Universities” if you are searching for Department of Forestry in US Universities. For example, if it is Canada, you will type “Department of Forestry Canadian Universities”

What choice of school would you suggest?
I will suggest that before apply to schools, you should look at the program ranking of schools that have your department. This will help you to reduce the amount of money spent on application fee and also increase your chances of getting admitted and funded. As a student coming into US or Canada for graduate studies, you need to understand that there are differences in education standards. So the fact that you made a first class in Nigeria does not guarantee that you will get into the top 10 programs in your field. I also want you to understand that program rankings are different from University rankings because a University might have the 50th ranking and be the number 1 ranked program in Chemistry. By program ranking I mean departmental ranking. So University ranking is different from program ranking and employers do recognize this fact. So in situations where other Universities are recruiting faculties (lecturers) in a particular field, they usually shoot for Ph.D graduates from top ranked programs. Now that you have now understand the difference between University ranking and program ranking, I will now explain how to make a choice of school when you are applying afresh from outside the US or Canada. My own advice is that students that are applying afresh from outside the US or Canada should apply to medium schools and not top schools. This is because the chances of getting into these top schools are usually very low because our educational system in Nigeria is usually not considered as “strong”. Please do not misunderstand me when I say that our educational system in Nigeria is not as strong. I do not mean to downgrade our education. What I mean is that we take a lot of irrelevant courses that are not supposed to be taken so that at the end of the day you cannot fully boast that you are a competent graduate from your field of study. For example, Agricultural Economics Students take a lot of classes from Animal and plant science that makes them more qualified to be an Animal or Plant scientist than being an Agricultural Economist. This is because Agricultural economists should take more of quantitative classes which we do not and at the end of the day, our transcripts are not internationally competitive because we do not usually have the skill sets the schools abroad are looking for in an Agricultural Economics graduate. I do have someone who made a 1st class in Agricultural Economics and applied to University of Alberta in Canada for Masters but was only admitted without funding. He finally got into an average school in the US for his masters and later applied to University of Alberta for his Ph.D. Because He now has the required skill set that Alberta needs, He got into Alberta with full funding. With this illustration now, I think you should now get my point.
Based on my experience, I will advise that when you look at graduate program rankings , do not apply to top schools. Apply to medium schools and I am sure that irrespective of the deficiency you may have in your undergraduate in Nigeria, you stand a better chance to be admitted and funded in these programs. After you might have gone through your Masters in these medium ranked programs, you can now apply to a top school for your Ph.D and when they see consistency in terms of your performance both at undergrad and masters, they will be optimistic that you will do well in their program. This is the best way to go about it when applying for graduate studies.
However, I want you to note that when you check program rankings, there are some programs that are not ranked. They usually write “NA” in front of these programs. That does not mean that those programs are not good. It is because only graduate programs that has Masters and Ph.D that are ranked. So once a program offers only Masters, it will not be ranked. In fact I will advise that you apply to such programs because most of them have good programs and fundings (scholarships) are more available to masters students because they do not have Ph.D students. In programs where they have Ph.D’s, they usually prefer to give their Ph.D students funding rather than their Master’s students.
How do I carry out the program ranking search?
Go to google search engine and type “Graduate program ranking in Agricultural Economics US universities”. You can do a similar search for Canadian Universities.
If I am admitted and not funded, would you advise me to pay from my pocket?
I would not advise you to pay from your pocket except your parents are extremely rich. Come to think of it. Average school fee per semester is over 11,000 US dollars and average living expenses (housing and feeding) is an average of 6000 to 9000 US dollars a year, depending on the part of the US you are. You are not allowed to work in the US except you work on your school campus and getting a job in school can be quite hard because everyone scrambles for the few jobs available on campus. Also it is hard to combine school work with job. It is a little easier in Canada though.

If I am admitted and partially funded, would you advise me to pay from my pocket?
I would not advise you to pay from your pocket based on the previous explanations except your parents are extremely rich.

You also mentioned Statement of purpose as one of the criteria for admission. What is required in this statement of purpose?
Statement of purpose is the same thing as statement of research interest or personal statement or letter of motivation. In some schools, they tend to distinguish between personal statement and statement of research. If they do so, they will let you know what is required in each one. In a broad context, statement of purpose is a written statement where you “market” yourself. I said market yourself because the people that are taking these admission decisions have not seen you or known you before so the extent to which your statement of purpose is convincing goes a long way in telling them that you are worth investing upon because the funding they are giving you is a form of investment and when you invest in something, you hope to get good result. So your statement of purpose is used to predict whether you will be able to meet up with the requirements of the program. By requirement in this context, I mean that whether you will be able to carry out all your assigned duties (classes, Teaching or Research Assistantship) without any problem. Specifically, Statement of purpose should include the following:
It should not be more than two pages at most.
The first paragraph should be focused on your motivation to study the course you studied as an undergraduate. I will advise that it should not be more than 8 lines and should be captivating. It will determine whether the admission committee will read through the whole statement or they will just drop the application.
The second paragraph should be a follow-up on the first paragraph and should be focused on your experience as an undergraduate and you should link it up with your undergraduate project.
The third paragraph should also be a follow-up of paragraph two, linking your research interest in your undergraduate project with your interested research area for your graduate studies. Kindly note that your area of research interest must be in line with the area of research interest of the faculties(Professors or Lecturers as we call it in Nigeria) in the department of program you are applying to. Trying to come up with new area of research does not impress admission committee here in US or Canada, it only disqualifies you because they will tell you they do not have an advisor (supervisor) for you. As a result, I suggest that before you apply to any department or write any statement of purpose, you should go through the profiles of the lecturers of the departments you wish to apply and fashion your statement of purpose or your research interest along the current area of research interest of the lecturers in that department.
The fourth paragraph can be focused on your leadership, extra-curricular and other qualities you think could further make you more competitive for the program (like the conferences and symposiums you have attended which is in line with program you are applying to. You should also include the papers you have published in case you have published any).
The fifth paragraph should indicate the reasons why you are applying to that particular program.
The sixth paragraph should be the concluding paragraph and should be focused on what you intend to do with the degree you hope to obtain from this school.

If you have additional questions, you can post them in this tread and I will be willing to answer them.
Please note: All the people that have followed these instructions are already studying in North America today. You do not need to pay anyone for tutorials. You can study the materials on your own and pass.

53 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by idee91: 10:46am On Jul 05, 2014
Nice write up.... A good job well done. Pls, is it wen applying for admission,that I will apply for assistanceship ? And pls wen do dey request for transcript ?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Udiboy(f): 1:37pm On Jul 05, 2014
Hi yahoo.com.I have some personal questions I will like to share with you if you do not mind.
I will be happy to hear from you.
Thanks for this wonderful piece.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 3:15pm On Jul 05, 2014
Udiboy: Hi dAfe,pls can u reach me on match_15@ yahoo.com.I have some personal questions I will like to share with you if you do not mind.
I will be happy to hear from you.
Thanks for this wonderful piece.

Hello udiboy, I have sent you an email using gre.nigeria@yahoo.com via which you can ask personal questions.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 3:26pm On Jul 05, 2014
idee91: Nice write up.... A good job well done. Pls, is it wen applying for admission,that I will apply for assistanceship ? And pls wen do dey request for transcript ?

Ideey91, some schools require you apply for assistantship while you apply for admission. others will just ask you in the application process if you want to be considered for assstantship while some will generally consider every applicant for assistantships. As regards transcripts, some schools will require you to upload an electronic copy of your transcripts during the application process and after they might have given you admission, they will now request that you contact your undegraduate school to send your original transcripts. Other schools might want you to send it once you fill out their application online.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by idee91: 5:42pm On Jul 05, 2014
dafemlions:

Ideey91, some schools require you apply for assistantship while you apply for admission. others will just ask you in the application process if you want to be considered for assstantship while some will generally consider every applicant for assistantships. As regards transcripts, some schools will require you to upload an electronic copy of your transcripts during the application process and after they might have given you admission, they will now request that you contact your undegraduate school to send your original transcripts. Other schools might want you to send it once you fill out their application online.
okay, tenks... I'll be writing gmat and toefl by nov/dec... And pls, are u sure application for spring closes january ?adviices ?

1 Like

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 7:19pm On Jul 05, 2014
idee91: okay, tenks... I'll be writing gmat and toefl by nov/dec... And pls, are u sure application for spring closes january ?adviices ?

idee91, Application for spring should be closing about July 2014 for Spring (January) 2015 Semester. The thing is that funding is usually abundant in fall (September). So all my answers is with reference to the fall Semester
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by idee91: 7:24am On Jul 06, 2014
dafemlions:

idee91, Application for spring should be closing about July 2014 for Spring (January) 2015 Semester. The thing is that funding is usually abundant in fall (September). So all my answers is with reference to the fall Semester
okay, so wen would application for fall 2015 start ? Because some guys applied for fall and they are resuming next month... So I was thinking spring applicatiion should start naw, and end january
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 7:43pm On Jul 06, 2014
idee91: okay, so wen would application for fall 2015 start ? Because some guys applied for fall and they are resuming next month... So I was thinking spring applicatiion should start naw, and end january

Fall application for 2015 starts at the beginning of fall 2014. The guys resuming next month should have applied last year or early this year because most application for admission usually closes about January 15 of every year for the fall term. application deadlines for some schools might be either a little earlier or later.

1 Like

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 7:46pm On Jul 06, 2014
dafemlions:

Fall application for 2015 starts at the beginning of fall 2014. The guys resuming next month should have applied last year or early this year because most application for admission usually closes about January 15 of every year for the fall term. application deadlines for some schools might be either a little earlier or later.

Please note that spring application is already on and should close during summer or at the beginning of fall for most schools. However, funding is usually abundant in fall. This is why I advice students to apply for fall rather than spring
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by temi4fash(m): 7:52pm On Jul 06, 2014
How many years is the GRE valid??... And shld d GRE be taken before applying to schools or wat do you think is the best procedure??..
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 10:53pm On Jul 06, 2014
temi4fash: How many years is the GRE valid??... And shld d GRE be taken before applying to schools or wat do you think is the best procedure??..

The GRE is valid for 5 years and it should be taken before or about the time you are applying to schools because it is a major requirement for admission.

What GRE Score should I aim at in order to guarantee a full funding?
As regards a good GRE score, I will say for an average course or discipline, a Minimum of 153 in Verbal and 155 in Quantitative. However, for a quantitative based course like Mathematics, Economics and other Quantitative based course, one should shoot for a minimum of about 160 in Quantitative.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by temi4fash(m): 7:18pm On Jul 07, 2014
dafemlions:

The GRE is valid for 5 years and it should be taken before or about the time you are applying to schools because it is a major requirement for admission.

As regards a good GRE score, I will say for an average course or discipline, a Minimum of 153 in Verbal and 155 in Quantitative. However, for a quantitative based course like Mathematics, Economics and other Quantitative based course, one should shoot for a minimum of about 160 in Quantitative.

Thanks for the info

Pls what is the difference between a community college and a normal college??

How do I spot the difference and also know medium level colleges??

I intend to study control and instrumentation Engineering for M.sc... Any suggestions on schools and how to go about the funding. .

Thanks and God bless
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 7:57pm On Jul 07, 2014
temi4fash:

Thanks for the info

Pls what is the difference between a community college and a normal college??

How do I spot the difference and also know medium level colleges??

I intend to study control and instrumentation Engineering for M.sc... Any suggestions on schools and how to go about the funding. .

Thanks and God bless

Community colleges are primarily two-year public institutions of higher education. After graduating from a community college, some students transfer to a university or liberal arts college for two to three years to complete a bachelor's degree, while others enter the workforce. So they can be likened to our OND obtained from polytechnics in Nigeria after which you transfer to a University via direct entry to obtain your Bachelors.

You should be able to know through the kinds of degree they offer.

As regards suggestions on schools, I will advice that you carefully read through the FAQ's and the previous posts. I have specified how to search for schools and also discussed about how to obtain funding.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by kenkool(m): 8:15am On Jul 13, 2014
please is 146 verbal nd 154 quat on gre gud enuf to get funding?
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by idee91: 6:24pm On Jul 13, 2014
Is it true that I need an international passport b4 I could write gmat and toefl ?... plus how much does it cost to get one ( international passport) ?
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by phatdon4u: 9:30pm On Jul 13, 2014
Really appreciate ur vast experience. Pls i have some questions.
1. I've read tru ur piece and i've tried using the google search suggestions u wrote but i'm not really finding it easy it. I intend studying Masters in Project Mgt in the US. Pls can u help me wt possible universities based on ur experience and advise bearing in mind that i'll be interested in full funding(TA, GA, RA)
2. What's the spot difference btw GRE, TOEFL, IELTS and d rest? Can the admission process request GRE for a funding?
3. Which of the afore mentioned exams will u recommend based on ur vast experience. Pls i'm very sorry for bothering wt all this questions. Really need ur advise. I will also appreciate if i can connect wt u. I've sent u a pm.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 12:08am On Jul 14, 2014
kenkool: please is 146 verbal nd 154 quat on gre gud enuf to get funding?

That depends on your course of choice.

As regards a good GRE score, I will suggest for an average course or discipline, a Minimum of 153 in Verbal and 155 in Quantitative. However, for a quantitative based course like Mathematics, Economics and other Quantitative based course, one should shoot for a minimum of about 160 in Quantitative.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 12:11am On Jul 14, 2014
idee91: Is it true that I need an international passport b4 I could write gmat and toefl ?... plus how much does it cost to get one ( international passport) ?

Yes, you need an international passport to write the GMAT, TOEFL and GRE.
As regards the cost, you might need to contact the immigration office.

1 Like

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 12:19am On Jul 14, 2014
phatdon4u: Really appreciate ur vast experience. Pls i have some questions.
1. I've read tru ur piece and i've tried using the google search suggestions u wrote but i'm not really finding it easy it. I intend studying Masters in Project Mgt in the US. Pls can u help me wt possible universities based on ur experience and advise bearing in mind that i'll be interested in full funding(TA, GA, RA)
2. What's the spot difference btw GRE, TOEFL, IELTS and d rest? Can the admission process request GRE for a funding?
3. Which of the afore mentioned exams will u recommend based on ur vast experience. Pls i'm very sorry for bothering wt all this questions. Really need ur advise. I will also appreciate if i can connect wt u. I've sent u a pm.

I have given you the best way to search for schools. However, this link might help you http://education-portal.com/articles/Best_Project_Management_Schools_List_of_Top_US_Programs.html

TOEFL and IELTS are English Language exams which I will not recommend for any Nigerian to take it since Nigeria is an Anglophone country. Schools that require them usually waive it for Nigerians. However, some schools are rigid and wouldn't waive it. In that case, I will not advice applying to such schools because that will increase your total cost of application. The most important exam that you need to do is the GRE.

If you have further questions, kindly send an email to gre.nigeria@yahoo.com

3 Likes

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by kenkool(m): 7:39am On Jul 14, 2014
dafemlions:

That depends on your course of choice.

As regards a good GRE score, I will suggest for an average course or discipline, a Minimum of 153 in Verbal and 155 in Quantitative. However, for a quantitative based course like Mathematics, Economics and other Quantitative based course, one should shoot for a minimum of about 160 in Quantitative.

Electrical engineering with cgpa of 3.43/5
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by phatdon4u: 8:50am On Jul 14, 2014
dafemlions:

I have given you the best way to search for schools. However, this link might help you http://education-portal.com/articles/Best_Project_Management_Schools_List_of_Top_US_Programs.html

TOEFL and IELTS are English Language exams which I will not recommend for any Nigerian to take it since Nigeria is an Anglophone country. Schools that require them usually waive it for Nigerians. However, some schools are rigid and wouldn't waive it. In that case, I will not advice applying to such schools because that will increase your total cost of application. The most important exam that you need to do is the GRE.

If you have further questions, kindly send an email to gre.nigeria@yahoo.com
thanks alot... How much do u think a GRE test will cost? And what GRE score would u advise for Project mgt? I had a cgpa of 4.03/5 in project mgt at undergraduate, what are my chances?
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Nobody: 9:13am On Jul 14, 2014
Great job @OP...its realy generous what you are doing. Though I have a question...how easy is it (if at all possible) to get a fully funded scholarship for a masters degree program in medicine in US?
Since we all know that the criteria for studying medicine at any level is always quite different from any other course and judging from vast your experience am also hoping you'd be able to tell me the easiest way to go about this.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by igbonerd(m): 10:46am On Jul 14, 2014
kenkool: please is 146 verbal nd 154 quat on gre gud enuf to get funding?

That depends on the course you hope to go in for and the school you're looking to apply to. Generally, engineering would require much higher scores, especially in the quantitative section.
I'd advise that you look up the university's website to see their funding criteria.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 12:31am On Jul 15, 2014
kenkool:
Electrical engineering with cgpa of 3.43/5

I will actually encourage you to follow the path of the story about the 2:2 guy I narrated in the FAQ's. evaluating your transcripts will push your CGPA upwards on the US scale.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 12:35am On Jul 15, 2014
phatdon4u:
thanks alot... How much do u think a GRE test will cost? And what GRE score would u advise for Project mgt? I had a cgpa of 4.03/5 in project mgt at undergraduate, what are my chances?

Based on your undergraduate record, I think you have a good chance. However, I will advice that you shoot for at least a 155 in verbal and something well above 157 in quantitative.

1 Like

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 12:38am On Jul 15, 2014
phatdon4u:

GRE is about 185 dollars and if you have a Nigerian Mastercard or visa card, you can register yourself online. you can find more information from https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/faq/#faq601

1 Like

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 12:57am On Jul 15, 2014
blogger10: Great job @OP...its realy generous what you are doing. Though I have a question...how easy is it (if at all possible) to get a fully funded scholarship for a masters degree program in medicine in US?
Since we all know that the criteria for studying medicine at any level is always quite different from any other course and judging from vast your experience am also hoping you'd be able to tell me the easiest way to go about this.

Hello Blogger10, due to the fact that people in medical line are usually paid well after graduation (relative to some other disciplines), there are little or no funding for masters degree in medical schools. however, you may want to go for a masters/Ph.D in biomedical sciences if you like that route. This is because they do have a lot of funding for research and can fund you through that route. However, admissions are very competitive and you will need to do very well in the GRE.

A second route which is based on the experience of a friend that graduated from a Nigerian medical school will be to come for a masters in public health. In this case, you must be ready to sponsor yourself because they have very limited funding also. So here is my friend's story:
When He came in for public health, He tried his best in the program and had all A's in all his classes (courses). while running his masters in public health, He also started working on the US board exams. With all these going on, He was also volunteering (under his unit of interest) at the University hospital of the school He was because He had the intention to do his residency. volunteering is basically working for free. this can go into your CV and makes you competitive when searching for job. It also adds to your experience because you learn a lot from the job. lastly, it gives you an opportunity to meet the faculty (Professors) that will be evaluating your applications for residency because you would have worked with them several times and they would have known you. This path is essential because residency in US University teaching hospitals are very competitive even for US citizens, not to talk of international students. An average applicant can apply up to 100 schools because the selection process is very competitive. To cut the long story short, that my friend got into one of the residency program of his choice and once you finish residency, you will be very competitive to work in the US. Another thing people do is that after doing their residency, you can go further by looking for fellowships in order to further specialize. You may need to also apply far and wide for such fellowships.

So, for medicine students, it is possible, but the path is a little easier when you can fund your masters program. Once you are able to get a residency, you will be independent cos they will pay you.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by igbonerd(m): 9:18am On Jul 15, 2014
dafemlions:

GRE is about 185 dollars and if you have a Nigerian Mastercard or visa card, you can register yourself online. you can find more information from https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/faq/#faq601

Only Visa card is accepted for Nigerian test takers. The registration can only be done on a PC, not a phone or tablet.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 23, 2014
dafemlions:

Hello Blogger10, due to the fact that people in medical line are usually paid well after graduation (relative to some other disciplines), there are little or no funding for masters degree in medical schools. however, you may want to go for a masters/Ph.D in biomedical sciences if you like that route. This is because they do have a lot of funding for research and can fund you through that route. However, admissions are very competitive and you will need to do very well in the GRE.

A second route which is based on the experience of a friend that graduated from a Nigerian medical school will be to come for a masters in public health. In this case, you must be ready to sponsor yourself because they have very limited funding also. So here is my friend's story:
When He came in for public health, He tried his best in the program and had all A's in all his classes (courses). while running his masters in public health, He also started working on the US board exams. With all these going on, He was also volunteering (under his unit of interest) at the University hospital of the school He was because He had the intention to do his residency. volunteering is basically working for free. this can go into your CV and makes you competitive when searching for job. It also adds to your experience because you learn a lot from the job. lastly, it gives you an opportunity to meet the faculty (Professors) that will be evaluating your applications for residency because you would have worked with them several times and they would have known you. This path is essential because residency in US University teaching hospitals are very competitive even for US citizens, not to talk of international students. An average applicant can apply up to 100 schools because the selection process is very competitive. To cut the long story short, that my friend got into one of the residency program of his choice and once you finish residency, you will be very competitive to work in the US. Another thing people do is that after doing their residency, you can go further by looking for fellowships in order to further specialize. You may need to also apply far and wide for such fellowships.

So, for medicine students, it is possible, but the path is a little easier when you can fund your masters program. Once you are able to get a residency, you will be independent cos they will pay you.
Okay I see its tough love for we medical students. Just out of curiosity though...which university teaching hospital did your friend go for. And also...the total cost of funding myself, is it reasonable enough for an average nigerian like myself?
Is it also easier to receive funding as an undergraduate? i.e are there scholarships for undergraduate medical students I can get through...say SAT Exams(though I don't know much about this)? Thanks once again.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 7:34pm On Jul 23, 2014
blogger10:
Okay I see its tough love for we medical students. Just out of curiosity though...which university teaching hospital did your friend go for. And also...the total cost of funding myself, is it reasonable enough for an average nigerian like myself?
Is it also easier to receive funding as an undergraduate? i.e are there scholarships for undergraduate medical students I can get through...say SAT Exams(though I don't know much about this)? Thanks once again.

Estimated cost per year (including living expenses for international students) for Masters in public health is about (US) $45,000. The school fees alone is about (US) $22,000 per year. This is a public forum and I will not be going to details of the school my friend attended.
There are usually very few or no scholarships for undergraduates in medical line. Even citizens pay for their medical school. same apply to law students.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by adoleval: 11:58pm On Jul 23, 2014
Is It No GRE no admission n funding?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

JAMB PAST QUESTION AND ANSWER / I Need Good Accounting Project Topics For My Final Year Project. / Download Complete Project Topics And Materials For FREE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.