Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:42 AM

Studying In US And Canada Faq's - Educational Services (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Educational Services / Studying In US And Canada Faq's (58004 Views)

Unn 2015/16 Departmental Cut-off Mark (faq) / Universities In US And Canada That Doesn't Require GRE / Tution Free Universities In Norway, Sweden And Canada Urgent Please! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 12:35am On Jul 25, 2014
adoleval: Is It No GRE no admission n funding?

To a very great extent, YES because an average US school requires GRE.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Mrval20(m): 12:35pm On Jul 28, 2014
dafemlions:

To a very great extent, YES because an average US school requires GRE.

Thank you for the selfless service you're rendering here on NL.
Your post has provided answers to most of my burning questions.
I'm in final year now and will need your guidance much later, I'll send you a mail to keep in touch. May God bless and reward you abundantly.
~Valentine.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 12:54am On Jul 29, 2014
adoleval: Is It No GRE no admission n funding?

Yes, to an extent.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Nobody: 9:19am On Jul 31, 2014
@dafemlions, thanks for your contributions. This is really good. I have tried to follow your advices. Most schools seems to offer funding after admission. I have checked few once offering my course, assistantship for them all seems to be after admission. I would I know if I can secure this funding in the long run if I accept offer and resume?
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Mustghan(m): 8:18pm On Aug 15, 2014
Really good thread, I have a Masters degree in chemistry but not that good. I want go for PhD in pharmaceutical chemistry , currently working BT wanna study in Either Canada, US, or South Africa. I need help
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 10:59pm On Aug 19, 2014
Mrval20:

I'm in final year now and will need your guidance much later, I'll send you a mail to keep in touch. May God bless and reward you abundantly.
~Valentine.

You are very welcome. I will expect your email.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 11:05pm On Aug 19, 2014
naijamark: @dafemlions, thanks for your contributions. This is really good. I have tried to follow your advices. Most schools seems to offer funding after admission. I have checked few once offering my course, assistantship for them all seems to be after admission. I would I know if I can secure this funding in the long run if I accept offer and resume?

Hello Naijamark, That is how it is usually stated. The schools consider you for admission first before considering you for funding. However, the letter they usually send out will include the whole package (Admission and funding). In case you did not get funded at first, you might get funding on the longrun but I usually do not advice that you accept admission without funding cos schooling in the US or Canada without funding is usually very crazy for international students. So what I recommend is that you should apply to an average of 6 schools that only have masters program. use the search method I included in the FAQ's and you will be fine. If you do a quite extensive search and you do well in the GRE, and you also apply to at least 6 Universities that offer only masters in your field, you have a very high chance of getting admission and funding.

3 Likes

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 11:08pm On Aug 19, 2014
Mustghan: Really good thread, I have a Masters degree in chemistry but not that good. I want go for PhD in pharmaceutical chemistry , currently working BT wanna study in Either Canada, US, or South Africa. I need help

Send me an email at gre.nigeria@yahoo.com, stating what you have in your undergrad and Masters and I will be able to better advice you.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by phatdon4u: 4:11pm On Nov 10, 2014
Hi... I have some questions:
someone said full tuition scholarship via gra
duate/research assistantship is only available for engineering students... pls clarify... As a social science is it difficult get a graduate assistantship?
Thanks
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 5:16pm On Nov 13, 2014
phatdon4u:
Hi... I have some questions:
someone said full tuition scholarship via gra
duate/research assistantship is only available for engineering students... pls clarify... As a social science is it difficult get a graduate assistantship?
Thanks

That is not true. Once you fulfill all the requirements and you indicate in your application that you want to be considered for funding, you will surely be considered for funding in terms of a graduate, research or teaching Assistantship which comes with full tuition waiver, health insurance and monthly stipend. The only area where funding is very very competitive is in public health and other medical related courses like nursing, medicine etc
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Nobody: 6:58am On Nov 14, 2014
dafemlions:

Hello Naijamark, That is how it is usually stated. The schools consider you for admission first before considering you for funding. However, the letter they usually send out will include the whole package (Admission and funding). In case you did not get funded at first, you might get funding on the longrun but I usually do not advice that you accept admission without funding cos schooling in the US or Canada without funding is usually very crazy for international students. So what I recommend is that you should apply to an average of 6 schools that only have masters program. use the search method I included in the FAQ's and you will be fine. If you do a quite extensive search and you do well in the GRE, and you also apply to at least 6 Universities that offer only masters in your field, you have a very high chance of getting admission and funding.

@Dafemlions, could you please explain the bolded further? You mean I should target colleges offering MS as highest postgrad programme?
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Raul08: 5:13pm On Dec 04, 2014
@dameflions...The expository piece is highly resourceful, much appreciated. I am a civil engineering graduate with a core interest in structures but I have just been introduced to bridge inspection at my workplace. I intend to combine my present work experience and evolving interest to have a profound knowledge in a US or CANADIAN school as part of my statement of purpose for a research, all these coupled with the GRE and my academic transcripts. What chance do I stand if I may ask and what's your take on my planned moves? Thanks.
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 10:57pm On Dec 24, 2014
Amen
Mrval20:

~Valentine.

1 Like

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 11:42pm On Dec 24, 2014
naijamark:

@Dafemlions, could you please explain the bolded further? You mean I should target colleges offering MS as highest postgrad programme?

Hello naijamark,
I actually mean that you should target programs or colleges that offer MS as the highest postgrad programme

2 Likes

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 11:46pm On Dec 24, 2014
Raul08:
@dameflions...The expository piece is highly resourceful, much appreciated. I am a civil engineering graduate with a core interest in structures but I have just been introduced to bridge inspection at my workplace. I intend to combine my present work experience and evolving interest to have a profound knowledge in a US or CANADIAN school as part of my statement of purpose for a research, all these coupled with the GRE and my academic transcripts. What chance do I stand if I may ask and what's your take on my planned moves? Thanks.

I think that's a very good idea. I will suggest that you try your best in your GRE. I will suggest that you get the Manhattan GRE books for your preparation. It is a preparation packet of about 8 books which costs about 94 dollars on amazon. the link on amazon is http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Prep-GRE-Strategy-Guides/dp/1937707911/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419461115&sr=8-1&keywords=Manhattan+GRE

People that have used the book for preparation have done so well in the exam. I wish you all the best. you can send me an email at gre.nigeria@yahoo.com if you have further questions

3 Likes

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Gozychuks(m): 6:11pm On Jan 04, 2015
nice thread informative
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Raul08: 3:08pm On Feb 08, 2015
@dameflion...I have the 8 series Manhattan gre practice text you recommended (soft copy) now. I will carry you along. I intend taking my time to prepare though.

1 Like

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 4:50am On Feb 09, 2015
Gozychuks:
nice thread informative

Thanks
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 4:51am On Feb 09, 2015
Raul08:
@dameflion...I have the 8 series Manhattan gre practice text you recommended (soft copy) now. I will carry you along. I intend taking my time to prepare though.

Hello Raul08. could you please send me an email at gre.nigeria@yahoo.com?

1 Like

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Raul08: 5:48am On Feb 11, 2015
@Dafemlions, sure i will
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Nobody: 7:49am On Feb 11, 2015
Raul08:
The problem with these soft copies is: no power, no study, so annoying.

1 Like

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by seeker88(m): 3:25pm On Feb 11, 2015
Raul08:
Please, could u kindly share with me the soft copy of the 8 series manhattam gre practice text?
I sent you a PM.
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 6:28pm On Feb 11, 2015
seeker88:

Please, could u kindly share with me the soft copy of the 8 series manhattam gre practice text?
I sent you a PM.
Thanks

@seeker88 you can also send gre.nigeria@yahoo.com an email to share some materials with you in addition to the Manhattan GRE. All these materials do complement each other.

1 Like

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by AK481(m): 3:09pm On Mar 09, 2015
Raul08:

raul please can you send me a soft copy of this book.my email is tommyhycinth@yahoo.com.

may God bless you in all your hustles.
thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Nobody: 4:52pm On Mar 17, 2015
Thank you for your timely advice. I've been having difficulty getting a supervisor for a research degree, I am therefore considering going for master by coursework. Does this affect my chances of a PhD later on?
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 6:05pm On Mar 25, 2015
naijamark:
Thank you for your timely advice. I've been having difficulty getting a supervisor for a research degree, I am therefore considering going for master by coursework. Does this affect my chances of a PhD later on?

Hello Naijamark, The US and Canadian system is very different from the UK system which Nigeria follows. You will always take classes whether you come in for Masters or you go directly for a Ph.D. However, there are programs where you can actually go directly from an undergraduate directly to a Ph.D. For example, you can do that if you are a Chemistry major. My best advice is that you go for a Masters and then a Ph.D because it is always good to adjust to the system before going for a Ph.D because coming in for a Ph.D might be very tedious because your first year is always very intensive and rigorous followed by a qualifying exam which if you fail after one or two attempts could make them kick you out of the program. So you are better positioned for the challenges you might face in the Ph.D program when you go through a masters program first.

I hope this helps

2 Likes

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Campuslink: 6:10pm On Mar 26, 2015
Do you know that you can win scholarship for scoring very high in GRE and GMAT?
For free online training for GRE, GMAT, SAT, IELTS and TOEFL, please click www.mcfedututors.com/ads-campaign
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 11:27pm On Mar 26, 2015
Campuslink:
Do you know that you can win scholarship for scoring very high in GRE and GMAT?
For free online training for GRE, GMAT, SAT, IELTS and TOEFL, please click www.mcfedututors.com/ads-campaign

@Campuslink, Why do you guys like to extort fellow Nigerians that are struggling by telling them to come for tutorials when they can study on their own. Even the website you posted the link is not up to date. For example your website still says GRE scores ranges from 200 to 800 which is basically for the old GRE.

Friends on this thread, please ignore posts from Campuslink. They are just hungry Nigerians trying to extort fellow struggling Nigerians. If you have gone through the thread and you have questions, send us an email at gre.nigeria@yahoo.com and we will answer all your questions to the best of our knowledge.

Everything GRE Nigeria does is free. we do not collect a dime neither do we tell you to make any payment into any bank account. If you need materials to prepare for GRE, we will share them with you via the dropbox so that you can have access to the best and up-to-date materials that will make the exam easy for you. All you need is to just send GRE Nigeria an email requesting for materials at gre.nigeria@yahoo.com

The goal of GRE Nigeria is to help provide information for studying in North America (US and Canada) so that for those that want to work in academia could have access to world-class education and go back to help our struggling educational system.

Also for those of us that have friends, please let us share these opportunities with them so that we all together can contribute our little quota to make Nigeria a better place.

God bless you and God bless The Federal Republic of Nigeria.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by Harry4cas(m): 2:43am On Apr 04, 2015
Nice piece of write-up! I'm currently studying Statistics for my Bsc and i intend to switch field in my Msc to Information tech, computer science so i'd love to know bout Indian universities and U.S universities that offer free scholarship and funding for my proposed course and how to prepare for the entrance test if there is any. THANK YOU
Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by campusconnect: 1:25pm On Apr 07, 2015
@Dafe good stuff must commend your efforts in getting out this information to the public. will make a great resource any day.
i am a recruitment officer for my firm how do i pm you?

Campus Connections is a recruitment agency for students wishing to study abroad linking them with opportunities across the world.
Our educational services include

* Application processing into institution in UK, USA, CANADA, AUSTRALIA, EUROPE, ASIA and DUBAI

* Visa Counseling and Guidance etc

for enquiries
email:lagos@campusconnections-edu.com
george.campusconnections@yahoo.com
tel: 08186775365
www.campusconnections-edu.com

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 5:40pm On Apr 11, 2015
@campusconnect you can send me a message at gre.nigeria@yahoo.com
I can see on your website that you guys are doing this for money and that is not what I stand for. All I care about is to help Nigerian students who are willing to study in the US and Canada for the purpose of building the Nigerian Educational system.

campusconnect:
@Dafe good stuff must commend your efforts in getting out this information to the public. will make a great resource any day.
i am a recruitment officer for my firm how do i pm you?

Campus Connections is a recruitment agency for students wishing to study abroad linking them with opportunities across the world.
Our educational services include

* Application processing into institution in UK, USA, CANADA, AUSTRALIA, EUROPE, ASIA and DUBAI

* Visa Counseling and Guidance etc

for enquiries
email:lagos@campusconnections-edu.com
george.campusconnections@yahoo.com
tel: 08186775365
www.campusconnections-edu.com

2 Likes

Re: Studying In US And Canada Faq's by dafemlions: 5:42pm On Apr 11, 2015
Harry4cas:
Nice piece of write-up! I'm currently studying Statistics for my Bsc and i intend to switch field in my Msc to Information tech, computer science so i'd love to know bout Indian universities and U.S universities that offer free scholarship and funding for my proposed course and how to prepare for the entrance test if there is any. THANK YOU

Kindly go through the post all over and let me know if you have additional questions by sending me an email at gre.nigeria@yahoo.com
gre.nigeria will also send you materials to prepare for the exam if you wish.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

JAMB PAST QUESTION AND ANSWER / I Need Good Accounting Project Topics For My Final Year Project. / Download Complete Project Topics And Materials For FREE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.