Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,800 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities (48987 Views)

5 Boring Departments In Nigerian Universities / Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities / JAMB Candidates’ Most Preferred Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by AbuMikey(m): 5:44pm On Jul 06, 2014
hurricaneChris: Only the strong hearted study architecture cheesy

Wa Gbayi cool

1 Like

Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by mustrule(m): 5:54pm On Jul 06, 2014
" Social Work " is the latest course in Town
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 06, 2014
FrancisTony: The third and the highest level of tertiary education in Nigeria is the University.

There are presently 124 universities with Federal and State government controlling 37 each while the Private sector controls 50. Applicants have over 570 courses to choose from each categorized into Faculties.

There are some courses that have enjoyed consistent preference; I have used both Applicants’ choices in both JAMB 2013 and 2014 to show some of these courses. These obviously would help those still in Secondary schools and future JAMB applicants know how competitive a course is before finally locking their choice down on it.

From my findings; Medicine & Surgery is the most sought-after course in the whole of Nigeria universities.

Also, out of the whole 124 universities; only 35 offer Medicine & Surgery, 16 Federal, 14 State and 4 Private universities respectively.

Other top 15 courses are
1) kisskissAccountingkisskiss
2) Economics
3) Business administration
4) Mass Communication(CLA)
5) Computer Science
6) Law
7) Political Science
cool Microbiology
9) Biochemistry
10) Nursing/Nursing Science
11) Pharmacy
12) Mechanical Engineering
13) Civil Engineering angry
14) Public Administration
15) Elect/Elect Engineering
16) Petroleum Engineering
kisskisskisskiss

What a superb research you have done up there ! Thank you !

suraj/jarus would have done it otherwise by placing Economics first on that Chat !

2 Likes

Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by olutunde12(m): 6:04pm On Jul 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

Not all big federal schools study it. E.g UI undecided

You mean 'offer' it. U.I does offer Petroleum Engr'g!
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jul 06, 2014
olutunde12:

You mean 'offer' it. U.I does offer Petroleum Engr'g!

Seriously! Didyu read our argument before you jumped into conclusion? undecided

Do you mind re-checking the homepage of this thread?

We were arguing about Chemical Engineering not Petroleum. Smh! embarassed
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by Haryohdeji(m): 6:31pm On Jul 06, 2014
If Corruption is allowed in university it will b d most sought after.
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by chopcy(m): 6:40pm On Jul 06, 2014
What of YOU WILL NEVER MAKE IT IN LIFE from your grandmother is that not a course?
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jul 06, 2014
fashrola: bros there are schools in Nigeria that offers these courses, example Maritime academy of Nigeria (this is where I studied), UST, port Harcourt, school of oceanography, V.I Lagos
hahahaha most shipping companies in Nigeria don't even recognize oron certificates ust and school of oceanography are always on strike and the facilities there are poor
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by cdamsel(f): 6:51pm On Jul 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

OP is talking about 'Most Sought after' not 'Bankable'(not sure if the course is even bankable undecided)
Explain what you mean by "not bankable "
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 6:55pm On Jul 06, 2014
fashrola: bros there are schools in Nigeria that offers these courses, example Maritime academy of Nigeria (this is where I studied), UST, port Harcourt, school of oceanography, V.I Lagos
buh the guy said sought-after na
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 6:58pm On Jul 06, 2014
cdamsel: Explain what you mean by "not bankable "

Bankable- having a high chance of employment in its field.
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by myspnigeria: 7:06pm On Jul 06, 2014
Ooshey ..... pharmacy of life....
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by lebienconnu: 7:12pm On Jul 06, 2014
whatever course one studies, it should be with the sole aim of acquiring a relevant skill and not just a piece of paper (certificate) which, of late, has proven to be not very effective with regards to bringing food to the table.

This is the reason why engineering, for example, in Nigeria is a joke. The engineering undergrads should be given the same type of practical trainning the medical, para medical and the architecture students are given.

Each time i see chinese, lebanese and the arab technicians supervising our graduate engineers on projects I cannot help but wonder if the the degree has any value at all. The fact is that the guys graduated with the paper and unfortunately without the skill. On the other hand, a 3rd class graduate of architecture or nursing has both. He hits the ground running.

If our universities can produce adequately skilled medical doctors, physiotherapists, dentists, architects, lawyers then if engineering is given the same attention they can produce skilled engineers. This is very vital for our technological advancement which is a sine qua non of economic development.

Guys, go for the skill not the paper and you will not regret.

5 Likes

Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by cdamsel(f): 7:22pm On Jul 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

Bankable- having a high chance of employment in its field.
are u serious? An estate manager doesn't need employment, all s/he needs is a seal from its national body & s/he is good to know

You do know real estate is a lucrative business in Nigeria now?

My dear its highly bankable
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by vikstandon(m): 7:54pm On Jul 06, 2014
CHEMISTRY/INDUSTRIAL CHEMISTRY is a "MUST FEAR OPTION"... I do think the chemist and industrial chemist deserves to be valued more than any other profession.
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jul 06, 2014
cdamsel: are u serious? An estate manager doesn't need employment, all s/he needs is a seal from its national body & s/he is good to know

You do know real estate is a lucrative business in Nigeria now?

My dear its highly bankable

Okay. Forgive me ignorance.

Actually, my post said 'Not even sure".
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
Nothing at all grin grin grin
FrancisTony: What so special about this Medicine and Surgery Nigerian students are rushing to study? undecidedundecided -_- #vexed
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jul 06, 2014
Dr.'Hesjay:
Nothing at all grin grin grin

Write five reasons why you're studying Medicine in Unilorin.
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by politicalpastor: 8:24pm On Jul 06, 2014
Danhumprey: No Chemical Engineering?undecided

who wan die?
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 06, 2014
Lol...you rili want to know?
FrancisTony:

Write five reasons why you're studying Medicine in Unilorin.
1.)Because i wanna b a doctor
2.)Becuase i wanna b a doctor
3.)Because i wanna b a doctor
4.)Because i wanna b a doctor
5.)Because i wanna b a doctor
You see,there is nothing special about it but i am doing it because i wanna b a doctor..
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by cdamsel(f): 8:44pm On Jul 06, 2014
FrancisTony:

Okay. Forgive me ignorance.

Actually, my post said 'Not even sure".
Forgiven
Don't want you growing with that perception
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by okotv(m): 9:04pm On Jul 06, 2014
WHO WILL FEED YOU ALL ..#teamagricalltheway

1 Like

Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by hassan85(m): 9:17pm On Jul 06, 2014
FrancisTony: The third and the highest level of tertiary education in Nigeria is the University.

There are presently 124 universities with Federal and State government controlling 37 each while the Private sector controls 50. Applicants have over 570 courses to choose from each categorized into Faculties.

There are some courses that have enjoyed consistent preference; I have used both Applicants’ choices in both JAMB 2013 and 2014 to show some of these courses. These obviously would help those still in Secondary schools and future JAMB applicants know how competitive a course is before finally locking their choice down on it.

From my findings; Medicine & Surgery is the most sought-after course in the whole of Nigeria universities.

Also, out of the whole 124 universities; only 35 offer Medicine & Surgery, 16 Federal, 14 State and 4 Private universities respectively.

Other top 15 courses are
1) Accounting
2) Economics
5) Computer Science
6) Law
7) Political Science
cool Microbiology
9) Biochemistry
11) Pharmacy
where is INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS??
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jul 06, 2014
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by alegria(m): 10:14pm On Jul 06, 2014

Other top 15 courses are
1) Accounting
2) Economics
5) Computer Science
6) Law
7) Political Science
cool Microbiology
9) Biochemistry
11) Pharmacy

oga! where is dentistry??
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by Ibrahimndg57(m): 10:25pm On Jul 06, 2014
hurricaneChris: Only the strong hearted study architecture cheesy
why now?
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jul 06, 2014
careytommy: the OP probably dreamt this up
the confirmed top ten for the last ten years are;
10) Theatre Arts
9) Banking & Finance
cool Sociology
7) Chemical Engineering
6) Geology
5) Economics
4) Mechanical Engineering
3) Medicine & Surgery
2) Electrical & Electronic Engineering
1) Accounting
Thankyou, i was beginning to wonder where is Ban/Fin...but no be say we too like this courses o, but e dey sweet when person study something that if u even tell ur great-grand father in the village, he would understand the course you are talking about...lol e.g Medicine/surg (Doctor), Law(Lawyer) Engineering(engineer) etc.

1 Like

Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by mike404(m): 11:04pm On Jul 06, 2014
OP I THINK ITS HIGH TIME YOU STAY OFF WET WEED CUZ ITS AFFECTING YOUR SENSE OF REASONING. WHERE THE PHUCK IS THE QUEEN OF ALL DISCIPLINE (PHILOSOPHY)
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by LOZENGE(m): 11:13pm On Jul 06, 2014
Study nursing(science) nd u re guaranteed a job. Nd d pay is huge. Biochemistry is under utilized in d present day Nigeria
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by Adbash: 11:26pm On Jul 06, 2014
Supermajor:
in Engineering its electrical/electronics engineering that is d most competative

AGRICULTURAL AND BIOSYSTEMS ENGINEERING is also trending now because of its diversion.
Re: Most Preferred Courses In Nigerian Universities by ShamanEgijesu: 11:27pm On Jul 06, 2014
Proudly a Doctor!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Success, Sapele Schoolgirl Wants To Be A Lawyer, How her life has changed now / OAU Students With Their Own Oro For The Late Ooni (Photo) / University Of Port Harcourt Lecturer Caught Sexually Harassing A Female Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.