Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,733 members, 7,802,215 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

State Your Job Interview Experiences Here - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / State Your Job Interview Experiences Here (16218 Views)

Funny Interview Experiences / ''the Money Or Continue Your Job Hunt Another Place'' / Share Your Job Interview Experiences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Inosenduatall: 6:45pm On Jul 06, 2014
chidyhels: I was drilled for over an hour for an entry level admin job, they made me come to their office about 5 times just for almost no reason, I travel over an hour to get to their office all these times. Only for the dude to tell me the pay was 20k. Some HR are just heartless. I didn't blame him shaa, na only me waka come.

Haha...lol. Some days are like that dear. Sometimes I feel like those organizations that pay trash are the ones that will actually stress your life. I no dey use the issue of pay package play o! Will share some more of my experiences later. Shiiit dey catch me first.

2 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by ajasa4link: 6:55pm On Jul 06, 2014
Following thread codedly
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by sample042(m): 7:11pm On Jul 06, 2014
Nice thread!
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by myspnigeria: 7:11pm On Jul 06, 2014
I av no experience yet as I'm self-employed
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Isk(f): 7:32pm On Jul 06, 2014
I had an interview with a very nice financial organisation. It rained heavily that morning and I had a serious cold and malaria. It was so bad that I wore a cardigan and pop up socks to the office thinking that I would take them off on my way to the interview. Immediately I signed in at work, I took off the cardigan but forgot to take off the socks. I was so cold. Sneezing, wheezing and blowing my nose, I took a cab to the interview location. At the company, I was taken to a warm room and I quickly started typing info of the company on my fone's notepad. Anything I felt I could be asked, I typed it on my fone. Even my current salary and what I would want them to pay me.
When the interview started, the questions they asked me Were based on the info I had typed on my fone (imagine my relief). My fone was on the table so I just kept looking at d expo stylishly. I was so confident that they overlooked my sneezing and coughing and it ended up being one of the best interviews ever for me

2 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 7:33pm On Jul 06, 2014
I had my first job interview a month after my NYSC. After they called me for a phone chat/interview I was invited for the main face to face interview. I was just relaxed and I didn't know what to expect. I was interview by the MD himself because it was a small company. He started asking me questions based on what I wrote on my cv. He asked about my job experience, my skills ,and hobbies. And when I mentioned in my cv that I like listening to news he started asking me about the recent ban on homosexuality and my take on the issue. I just answered all the question as calmly as I can. And at the end of it all I was called to begin work. My advice about job interview is to be calm and relax if you are not calm, you will start blabing like an illiterate

4 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 06, 2014
I went for an interview and the first question i was asked by the women was 'did u just rub powder or is this how your face is since morning' (it was 6pm).. Told them I didn't and they were amazed. grin embarassed embarassed

It was a bank interview and I aced it.... Still waiting for them. angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Victosin09(f): 9:38pm On Jul 06, 2014
Nice Thread! Tenaciously following.
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by wazobiaforu(m): 9:46pm On Jul 06, 2014
I just want to share a funny interview we had at my office last week.

3 people were called, one of the well perfomed candidate just rubished herself when she was told to write about herself, you can't believe she just brought out a sheet of paper and started copying.

The three of us in the room could not hold our laugh after she stepped out, even if na rubish you wan write, write am de go why person go de gbegun on interview again. Nawa o

1 Like

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 11:00pm On Jul 06, 2014
richarts:

Trust me I was surprised myself to see workforce conducting the test. If you notice the method workforce is using for this test is kinda different. Have you watched the video they sent out to applicants? This is a new method exclusively for UAC maybe they will adopt it for others. But the test should be expected to be different. Too many recycled questions nowadays.

However GRE will always prepare you for whatever test it is you want to do. I do not have the soft copy. Just hard copy which I was lucky to lay hands on then.
How do I get i. touch with you in the next 24hrs. Send me a pm. plsssss.
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by EmmyDe25(m): 11:22pm On Jul 06, 2014
Lemme relay mine.... After i finished NYSC in february... got a couple of invites which i ended up turning down, reason being that i considered them not too good enough and in order not to block the real deal i just let them go.
To my real interview experience , I got a test invite from a media agency a couple of months back. Getting to the test venue i started seeing people coming out of their various cars, well dressed in suit. I got a lil nervous but i told myself all these things dont matter. Funny enough, Out of all those zillions of people who came for the test only 18 were invited for the second stage - which was a presentation.
I was to present the topic, " The future of traditional media amidst new media onslaught". When i got to the venue and saw the other guys well dressed as always. I just said to myself "Nawa o, these guys no go kill person" being that i was just wearing a shirt and a pant. Although i wasn't perturbed.
The real deal started and a host of them went in and came back relaying how tough the presentation was, especially the questioning segment, where the panel will bombard you with questions you'll be looking up to high heaven to get answers.
Got to my turn, after the instructions were read out, i was given the floor. I started with the Marcus Cicero assertion of every word beginning with a definition blah blah....... before i delved into the subject. In talking about New media, i made mention of how Justin Bieber became who he is today, talked about the Arab spring, and of course how David Moyes got to know about his impending sack 24hours in the social media before he was officially sacked by the club chief executive Ed Woodward. I capped it all with the Roger Fidler Mediamorphosis theory of how Traditional and the new media have been co-evolving and co-existing.
After i rounded-off, the panel started clapping for me and a man was bold enough to say that he's not going to bore me with any question that all he has to say is; i am already in the next round. One said, he's so proud of me, that i simply reminded him of his younger self.
Conclusively, was called up for the final round of the interview with the GMD and some other top notch guys in the coy. After all said and done, i had my medicals early last month and it was good to know that out of the 3 peeps eventually employed; i came out as the overwhelming best candidate. I have since resumed work.
The real lesson is: Try as much as possible to know something about everything and everything about something. This has always work for me.

23 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 12:16am On Jul 07, 2014
EmmyDe25: Lemme relay mine.... After i finished NYSC in february... got a couple of invites which i ended up turning down, reason being that i considered them not too good enough and in order not to block the real deal i just let them go.
To my real interview experience , I got a test invite from a media agency a couple of months back. Getting to the test venue i started seeing people coming out of their various cars, well dressed in suit. I got a lil nervous but i told myself all these things dont matter. Funny enough, Out of all those zillions of people who came for the test only 18 were invited for the second stage - which was a presentation.
I was to present the topic, " The future of traditional media amidst new media onslaught". When i got to the venue and saw the other guys well dressed as always. I just said to myself "Nawa o, these guys no go kill person" being that i was just wearing a shirt and a pant. Although i wasn't perturbed.
The real deal started and a host of them went in and came back relaying how tough the presentation was, especially the questioning segment, where the panel will bombard you with questions you'll be looking up to high heaven to get answers.
Got to my turn, after the instructions were read out, i was given the floor. I started with the Marcus Cicero assertion of every word beginning with a definition blah blah....... before i delved into the subject. In talking about New media, i made mention of how Justin Bieber became who he is today, talked about the Arab spring, and of course how David Moyes got to know about his impending sack 24hours in the social media before he was officially sacked by the club chief executive Ed Woodward. I capped it all with the Roger Fidler Mediamorphosis theory of how Traditional and the new media have been co-evolving and co-existing.
After i rounded-off, the panel started clapping for me and a man was bold enough to say that he's not going to bore me with any question that all he has to say is; i am already in the next round. One said, he's so proud of me, that i simply reminded him of his younger self.
Conclusively, was called up for the final round of the interview with the GMD and some other top notch guys in the coy. After all said and done, i had my medicals early last month and it was good to know that out of the 3 peeps eventually employed; i came out as the overwhelming best candidate. I have since resumed work.
The real lesson is: Try as much as possible to know something about everything and everything about something. This has always work for me.

Speechless
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by misterkay(m): 12:17am On Jul 07, 2014
Keep them coming... Interesting
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Allwility: 2:07am On Jul 07, 2014
Inosenduatall: Hey guys, I've seen quite a number of job interview experience threads in the annals of the Job Section of Nairaland and I thought to myself, "why not start a fresh one? A 2014 and beyond thread." With so many Job postings and shortlistings and invites here and there I think we will have quite a number of stories to share.

I will go first.

So I got a call to come for an interview at a major media firm on the Island in Lagos the next day. It was a surprise call because I had forwarded my unsolicited CV to them and forgotten about it. I travelled very early around 6am the next day from Ife in Osun state to V.I to meet the appointment which was scheduled for 11am. I got there in record time and was blown away by the cool AC and the elevator in the premises (forgive me, i'm a bit of a bush man). We were about 20 who were called for the job and most of the guys were wearing suit and tie while the ladies were looking really sophisticated. Na only me waka come o, with long sleeved shirt on jeans with sneakers. I didn't think I needed to wear a suit, no be media industry again? I sat down, and so the wait began. I spent the hours reading the John Grisham novel I brought along with me and ignoring the rumbling in my stomach. Soon it was my turn to enter the conference room. I was faced with a panel of 5 interviewers, all big shots and famous people in the industry. I had only just finished my last paper and hadn't even done my project defense, talkless of NYSC. I began to wonder what I was doing, and whether my coming here was a big big mistake. Still, composure is everything.

"What is your work experience?" I told them, even though they each had a copy of my CV in their hands.

"What are you bringing to the table?" My wealth of experience and my unique personality for the purpose of increasing 'our' fan base and listenership and maximizing efficiency and productivity (something along those lines).

"Have you ever worked at a radio station before?" Honestly, no. But I have an independent programme that has an enviable fan base. Perhaps, I could bring the programme and its fans on your platform when I start work here.

"And who said you are going to work here?" Don't mind me sir, I'm only speaking with faith. I always prefer to see the glass as half full than half empty.

Then I was asked to present a programme on the spot for five minutes which came pretty easily to me.

Followed by tests in diction and emphatic stress in the lines of:

ARE you a he-goat?

Are YOU a he-goat?

Are you A he-goat?

Are you a HE-GOAT?

That was the tricky part but I aced that followed by many other trick questions. Another thing I employed to my advantage was my use of humour. Somehow I always found a way to make my interviewers laugh or smile which endeared me to them. When I left the conference room, one of the interviewers, a big shot in the industry whom I had always admired passively, laughed and called me an opportunist, to which I just smiled and said:

"Don't mind me sir. It's the work of the devil."

Needless to say I got called for the second stage of the interview. This is where my story stops for now. Wouldn't want it to get too lengthy but would post the subsequent part of the story as the thread progresses.

It's 2014! Our year of triumph and endless successes and unbelievable breakthroughs. Kindly state your job interview experiences here so we can enjoy your story and share in your ups and downs, as it promises to be a highly enjoyable and rewarding learning experience for everybody, myself inclusive.

Oya!

@OP Forgive my asking, are u Yaw?
Because your interview experience is strikingly similar to his.
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by mezebel(f): 5:36am On Jul 07, 2014
beau49: Well I guess I should share mine. A friend asked me to send my CV to him so he can help me forward it to the HR, I did but did not think about it much. Then a few weeks later I got a mail asking me to come for an interview that same week,then was I still doing my youth service and the day of the interview is the same day I was to do my monthly clearance(that is monday). So I had to call and re-schedule for another week,only for me to get another mail to come for the interview the friday of the same week. Well I had to prepare since I had already concluded my clearance but one mistake I made was not acknowledging the interview mail I received*********On the day of the interview I entered the reception and I told the lady I met I was invited for an interview at so so and so time and she asked me to have my sit and wait. Few minutes later I was feeling cold cause of the air from the Ac,coupled with the fact that I was very nervous. Long story short I was called in and I met the HR lady and she asked me 'if whenever I receive a mail I don't acknowledge them?'.....well I can't remember what my reply was but I apologised and she asked me to sit and the interview began. To say the least I did not do that well atleast but I guess I impressed her enough to get invited for the second stage of the interview which comprised of the same lady and another man.****details later***But one thing I would emphasis on is prepare very well before going for any interview.
u really deserve to b given online military slap... What was d questions they asked u and ur reply...olodo

1 Like

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by davide470(m): 6:06am On Jul 07, 2014
EmmyDe25: Lemme relay mine.... After i finished NYSC in february... got a couple of invites which i ended up turning down, reason being that i considered them not too good enough and in order not to block the real deal i just let them go.
You remind me of my Younger self.. grin

1 Like

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by skillet(m): 6:13am On Jul 07, 2014
You see, my brother, poverty or even riches is a thing of the mind. From my assertion and your detraction, it is easy for people to asses my state of mind and compare it with yours. I know you are a life time civil servant, but some of us are not. Cheers.

Jenams: talk is cheap! How much do u hav?#nonsense.pride
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by cc150615(f): 6:43am On Jul 07, 2014
skillet: I have never and will never work for any man. Thus, i have never been interviewed. Am an ALREADY MADE man.
Sorry this thread is for ppl who have attended interviews so do the needful if I think u have news!
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Qidosy(m): 7:40am On Jul 07, 2014
I sent a copy of ma C.V nd ma I.T. letter 2 a company Dt deals in packaging 2 months ago nd I was called 4 test nd interview on d xame day. On getting dere, we were three in number nd we were given paper Dt contained questions in 3 parts; objectives, comprehension nd essay writing.1 of d tough objective questions I can remember Isabel "wat is d full meaning of BRT?" Behold, I failed it by underlining d wrong answer (Babatunde Raji Transport) buh I didn't mind...D comprehension was lyk hell!! D essay question was "write 8 negative impact of Boko Haram sect on d Nigerian economy" R u surprised?? Naxo we c am ooo...We all wrote wat we knw nd submitted in less dan 15mins...Having done dt, we were upon 2 operate a computer, yes a computer....I didn't knw wat odas were asked 2 do in d computer buh I was asked 2 create my personal data on MS Word nd d d xame on MS excel in Jez 3mins, I started doing as if I was d inventor of computer nd d guy came nd checked on wat I had done nd said he expected me 2 copy nd paste wat I did on MS Word 2 MS Excel lyk dt without being stressed, I was so glad dt he corrected me, dt section gone...Nw d main interview!!Though, I av nt attended any interview b4 nd I was lyk is dis aw it looks lyk? I was d second person 2 b called upon in2 dere so called interview room, I entered nd d interviewers started gazing @ me. I was feeling timid wen I met a lady nd a guy in d roon nt knowing dt dey were recording mark 4 dressing also( kinda shoe nd belt, shirt nd trouser, tie nd socks; colour code involved)..I went in nd I kept standing until I was asked 2 sit down. Though, I was having my @ in my mouth. D questions started comin lyk bomb...."tell us abt ursef", "ur strengths nd weaknesses", omo, d place wey wahala start na wen d lady ask me abt my hobby, I said "reading" nd she asked "wen last did I read" I answered wen I was in stool nd she said definitely I didn't read cos I felt lyk reading I only read cos it was compulsory 2 read 4 ma examz...Omo, c shocking!! Dem continue wit dere questions..D lady asked again dt sinx I had experience in teaching " wat I would do if children r disturbing nd turning d class in2 a market place?" I was lyk na N.D holder I b 4 Biz admin ,aw com questions on teaching? Abi na teacher dem dey fyn? Abi no I T student dem dey find?Buh I didn't mind, xo I ansad her..Dye kept asking me questions..."wat do u knw abt dis company?" Already, I don dey sweat insyd A/C ooo, buh I replied d lil I knw.. 4ni Questions plenty wey I no fit rememba sef...D most painful part of it was after spending 8hours wif dem in d 3 sections(test nd interview), we were all asked 2 go dt dey would contact us later..Though, I was angry @ first, buh lateron, I was hapi cos I was really challenged in a tough way dt I didnt evn expect as an I .T student seeking I.T space...I left angrily nd later realise my mistakes nd gt prepared 4 interview elsewhere by surfing d web nd downloading interview tips...wat I would say is b4 u go 4 any interview, pray 2 God 4 d spirit of boldness, wisdom, knowledge nd understanding dt wil mak u tackle dere questions wit ease.Den gt prepared 2 defend everytin u av in ur C.V coz most of d questions wil com 4rm dere nd d post u av applied 4...Being a computer literate is d best 4 u an interview nd av an idea in oda sectors lyk politics, sports, health, etc....May God help us, I rest ma case!!!

3 Likes

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by walad4yhu(m): 9:40am On Jul 07, 2014
GoldenDr: To me not having a job means that the only job i have is to get a job, so in looking for a job, putting to use all resources at my disposal is the way. From job sites, to personally dropping off resume in offices, sending unsolicited applications and using friends and family and yes it worked in the space of four months i wrote over 12 tests and with it attended about 10 interviews.
For my current job, i could not remember when i applied; I guess it was one of those unsolicited mails i sent out. I passed the test, but i was not called, so i called them and asked whassup, the funny part is they had forgotten about me. Well after a week i was called for an interview, answered the only way i could, I was so real at a time i even told the guy how i messed up in many interviews and with laughs he told me, 'you are such an unserious boy'. Well in the end i got the job and yeah it’s a great job, crazy opportunities to learn.
My advice to those still in the hunt, put in all you can to get a job, it is never too much, work on your resume and as much as it is possible keep your mind sharp.
As for interviews, be yourself, interviewers can spot it when u r faking it. Read all u can about the company and the role, but don't over memorize it will put u under pressure. Be current, smile and don’t be scared to make mistakes.
All the best.
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Babyrex(f): 9:50am On Jul 07, 2014
Hey frnds,gt a bank job interview in 2 days. nid help on wt to prepare fr as d bank name is witheld by recruiter and ds is my first
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by skillet(m): 11:40am On Jul 07, 2014
How many ppl who have come here to say they are self employed have you quoted and replied this nonsense? Jelousy is the root of hatred. And money is the root of all jelousy. Keep beefin.

cc150615:
Sorry this thread is for ppl who have attended interviews so do the needful if I think u have news!

1 Like

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by cc150615(f): 12:11pm On Jul 07, 2014
skillet: How many ppl who have come here to say they are self employed have you quoted and replied this nonsense? Jelousy is the root of hatred. And money is the root of all jelousy. Keep beefin.

Na only u I see o. Btw I have no reason to hate you Cos there's no proof that you're better than me,Sorry if that hurts u buh.... dooor!

1 Like

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by skillet(m): 12:22pm On Jul 07, 2014
Well, apology accepted. In case this is where u live, i dont. I cant see any door.

cc150615:
Na only u I see o. Btw I have no reason to hate you Cos there's no proof that you're better than me,Sorry if that hurts u buh.... dooor!
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by singlefade25(f): 1:42pm On Jul 07, 2014
chidyhels: I was drilled for over an hour for an entry level admin job, they made me come to their office about 5 times just for almost no reason, I travel over an hour to get to their office all these times. Only for the dude to tell me the pay was 20k. Some HR are just heartless. I didn't blame him shaa, na only me waka come.
u got me cracking o

1 Like

Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by yinkard4me(m): 1:44pm On Jul 07, 2014
booqee: pls mods let this thread reach front page! We're enjoying it! Btw I gat to learn one or two things..twill be helpful.

obinoscopy, adewasco2k, 1forall or whoever is the current job section mod pls do the needful.
trust me.... its not easy to learn from here until u get to one
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by beau49: 2:23pm On Jul 07, 2014
mezebel: u really deserve to b given online military slap... What was d questions they asked u and ur reply...olodo
Na you won give me the slap? tongue ********Well questions like 1.Tell me about yourself? 2.My family background,that is how many kids? 3. What can you do for us? 4. Are you through with NYSC? And a few others I can't remember.
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Capableben(m): 3:06pm On Jul 07, 2014
nabsprada: #Following...no experience yetcry,will be back to share real soon#
hahaha, fresh futy graduate tins abi..Long time tho
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jul 07, 2014
singlefade25: u got me cracking o
my dear,enjoy the laugh o,i had a good laugh at myself after i left there.
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jul 07, 2014
abdulslutsky: Aptitude test is part of interview process. I've had my fair share of experiences with aptitude test. I guess what is being talked about here is oral interview. Hmmm. After series of regret mail from aptitude tests, I managed to scale through the test conducted by one of the big 4 audit firms. I was very happy and overjoyed like I just won a million dollar. Waited for 4 months before I was called for interview/AC. The interview day came and hopes were high. As I wore my suit, I dey see myself as one of the big 4 guys. Quickly, I dashed out of my friend's house and boarded a bus going down to island because the interview was scheduled for 12. The joy of attending interview filled my heart(as per my first time nowwink), I was not even nervous or fidgety. This euphoria made me to miss the way to the venue(just dey waka about one area for VI). I got to the interview venue late amidst sweat and dirty shoes. One beautiful lady directed me to where my fellow interviewees were. On getting there they were all like 'good afternoon'. I responded, as per OAU "aro" boy, I asked them if they were all for the interview of which they responded in the affirmative. Na so I just say "follow me". Oh menh con see as dem respond shaperly grin.I withdrew and they all laughed. I really got them and it sent a relief of tension into the air. The interview proper. I was interviewed by a four man panel. The interview was going well until one devil asked about my project. Project! I exclaimed. He said yes, na so I just burst into laughter. One lady asked what's funny. "Nothing", I said. I discussed the project ( by lying in some areas though). This devil just caught me red handed in my regression analysis and how those variables fits into the regression. I just dey say "ahm ahm ahm" they caught me( I didn't read it).I never knew the motherf**ker studied econs. Na so the dream of joining that big four end o. Got the regret mail on my way home. Moral. Read your project before any interview.
. I knw is KPMG, they also fall my hand last month during AC.
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by aigjoey(m): 8:40pm On Jul 07, 2014
following
Re: State Your Job Interview Experiences Here by Inosenduatall: 12:51am On Jul 08, 2014
I woke up that fateful day to see 3 missed calls on my phone. The number looked vaguely familiar and I immediately suspected it was the call I had been waiting for. It had been over a month or more, and once again I had forgotten about the interview and resisted the urge to save their official number so I don't get tempted to call them back, but a part of me still kept hope alive. The number called back again and I heard a lovely female voice telling me that I had made it to the second stage of the interview and that I had to be at the office the next day. I wasn't in Lagos and I told her that. I was tied up with with something really important. We rescheduled to the day after that.

I made it to the office on the appointed day and this time it was just me at the reception. I wondered how many of us were called back, and whether or not this was the final stage. I decided to calm myself down and told myself that if I could pass through that first stage this one wouldn't be so difficult. Sometimes even when you feel you're prepared that fear just tries to creep into your mind so you just have to psyche yourself to retain that confidence and believe in yourself. That is a Mental Preparation. I was very nicely dressed - part casual, part professional. I wore a long sleeve shirt on jeans with a black fitted blazer to cap it all off. Finally I was invited into another conference room comprising of a man and a woman dressed in expensive looking suits. They each held a copy of my CV in their hands. Unlike the last stage, this was more like a discussion or interaction between colleagues. They asked questions concerning my CV, and questions about things I had failed to put in my CV such as my date of birth, stage of origin, etc. They asked why I never seemed to stay one place, why I moved from company to company, and I explained to them that I had to do that because I was faced with school and as such I had to settle for the job that allowed me the most flexibility at the time. Fortunately I was finished with school and now needed to work for a company that offered me more stability and room for growth, which I believed their organization offered.

They asked me what my greatest achievement was, and I told them that I had achieved quite a number of things during my short stay on planet earth but the one that particularly stood out at that moment was when I worked for so and so organization at so and so time. I also made sure to highlight my contributions to the attainment of the said project during the period. I also added that working for their organization would be my biggest achievement till date as that has always been my dream.

They asked what my weakness(es) were, and I had to think about it for a few moments because honestly nothing came to mind at the time. Eventually I told them that nothing readily comes to mind but if I would have to pick out a weakness, it would be the fact that maybe I am a little too pliable. That is, I'm willing to bend for my colleagues and co-workers and tolerate certain things so long as we can achieve our set targets and objectives.

To which the male interviewer sharply retorted, "That means you cannot work in a leadership capacity. You won't make a good leader." I was a little unnerved by the sharpness in his voice, still, composure is everything. I told him, "Sir, the fact that I am willing to bend doesn't mean I won't make a good leader. Sometimes, it's necessary to do that in order to have or foster a conducive work environment for everyone. Being tough and rigid can sometimes be counter-productive sir."

"And what happens when you have an uncooperative and stubborn colleague working under you?" The man said.

"Well sir, if I'm the leader there, then that means that what he/she is doing is insubordination. I believe there are rules and regulations guiding this organization, and as such he/she will be punished for insubordination according to the dictates of these rules and regulations. It doesn't matter how easy going I may be. Rules are rules."

I saw the on-the-brink-of-scary invigilator write something on a piece of paper. Hmmm, diaris godu ooooo...

"Tell us something about you that we do not know," the female interviewer asked me.

"Well one thing you need to know about me is that I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I like to linger of every tiny detail until my project comes out to my complete satisfaction."

"Tell us something else," she said.

"Well, another thing you need to know about me is that I'm very very mischievous," I said, flashing a big smile at the both of them. They both exchanged glances. The woman leaned back in her swivel chair, a smile playing on her lips.

"Mischievous? Is that positively or negatively?" She asked.

"Definitely positively ma. It's part of what fuels my creativity."

We talked about a good number of things ranging from the most mundane of subjects to important details of my prospective job. Finally the subject we had all been waiting for.

"So how much would you like us to pay you?" The male interviewer asked me.

One million naira, I said in my mind. I no come Lagos to sell groundnut abeg.

Forgive me guys, I tend to have a flair for drama. Will post the concluding part as the thread progresses. More stories please.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can I Consider Gambling As A Workplace?? / Do You Need A Better Job In 2018? / Could This Job Offer Be Scam!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.