Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,808,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride (1426 Views)

Funny Things We Christians Say Without Checking / Why Do Christians Say God Is Not A Magician? / Mandela Is In Hell-fire? Well That’s What These “christians” Say | Read Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by GSKing: 10:46pm On Jul 05, 2014
LGBT-friendly Christians have taken their 'I'm
Sorry' campaign to Chicago Pride since 2010.

It was an unlikely sight: a group of Christians at Chicago Pride parade stood in front of protesters with signs apologizing to the LGBT community. The “I’m Sorry” campaign, created by the Marin Foundation , was conceived as a means for Christians to apologize to the ways their fellow believers have caused harm.
The foundation has become a fixture in Chicago's Boystown neighborhood, working with both conservative and progressive religious entities to create safer spaces for LGBT people. The foundation's approach has received both praise and harsh criticisms from both LGBT and Christian activists. Its work has also won awards, invitations to the White House, and contract work with the United Nations.
The “I’m Sorry” campaign started in 2010 at Chicago Pride and since has spread to multiple cities, including Los Angeles, Atlanta, and even Sydney. “We view this campaign as our commitment to making the first step towards
relational reconciliation in a tangible way,” says the Marin Foundation’s website in explaining the campaign.

The campaign took off in 2010 after a photo of Andrew Marin, founder of the Marin Foundation, went viral; being shared over 34 million times. The photo was of Marin hugging a paradegoer who was in his underwear and Marin’s blog post “I hugged a Man in His Underwear. And I’m Proud.” told the story of a straight, white, male Christian being sorry for his former homophobic ways. The picture made the #1 spot on Buzzfeed’s “21 Pictures That’ll Restore Your Faith In Humanity.”
Four years later, the campaign is going strong with a record number of participants. “In the midst of our country’s cultural shift where many, including evangelical Christians, are moving toward a more progressive and, I would contend, Christ-centered understanding in discussions surrounding the intersection of faith, gender, and sexuality — there is a need for some folks to acknowledge the harm done toward the LGBTQ community in the name of
God and religion,” Marin Foundation executive
director Michael Kimpan tells The Advocate. “The 'I’m Sorry' campaign provides such an opportunity, to offer an apology and reparations face to face, building bridges of reconciliation between those who once spoke words of hate and intolerance and now desire to speak words and actions of love.”
Kimpan wrote a refection piece on the experience on his personal site, saying LGBT people passing by protesters were challenging him to be a better Christian. The parade participants marched by protesters and responded to the hate with “We still love you!” and “Even though you hate us, we love
you!”

Despite the hate-filled protesters, Kimpan said, love prevailed because love is and always will be louder. See photos below and on the following pages:

www.advocate.com/politics/religion/2014/07/05/photos-christians-say-sorry-chicago-pride?page=0,1

4 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by cbrass(m): 11:31pm On Jul 05, 2014
Bunch of sinners..hell awaits you

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by Yooguyz: 11:32pm On Jul 05, 2014
Wow this is lovely
Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by GSKing: 11:42pm On Jul 05, 2014
Yooguyz: Wow this is lovely

Hello love, Hope you're good?
Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by CyrusLevi(m): 12:02am On Jul 06, 2014
cbrass: Bunch of sinners..hell awaits you
When last did you understand a tn u read in the bible?

You are going to hell first for telling someone else that hell is their final destination.Stop Judging.

2 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by cbrass(m): 7:19am On Jul 06, 2014
Cyrus Levi: When last did you understand a tn u read in the bible?

You are going to hell first for telling someone else that hell is their final destination.Stop Judging.

This is why sin will always abound, where did I judge here nw. This what people keep saying so as to continue in their sins rather than ask forgiveness and repent of it.
Let me tell you something, even if you are not LGBT but if you support them in anyway you are partaking in their sins, and as I said ealier HELL AWAITS YOU TOO if you donnot repent
Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by zeb04(f): 7:27am On Jul 06, 2014
God has asked us to live in peace with our fellow human being. This is really worth emulating

On rapture day,we wld be shocked when God wil find us wanting for lack of love.

3 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by Yooguyz: 8:42am On Jul 06, 2014
GSKing:

Hello love, Hope you're good?

am good. Thumbs up for your recent threads keep it up.

2 Likes

Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by GSKing: 9:59am On Jul 06, 2014
Yooguyz:
am good. Thumbs up for your recent threads keep it up.

Thanks love, I see you're still doing your JW/WT thingcheesy

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by CyrusLevi(m): 10:28am On Jul 06, 2014
cbrass:

This is why sin will always abound, where did I judge here nw. This what people keep saying so as to continue in their sins rather than ask forgiveness and repent of it.
Let me tell you something, even if you are not LGBT but if you support them in anyway you are partaking in their sins, and as I said ealier HELL AWAITS YOU TOO if you donnot repent
You say again,in Capital fronts-HELL AWAITS YOU TOO.

Guy,Sky Daddy has cleared you a mini-flat in Hell.

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by Yooguyz: 10:58am On Jul 06, 2014
GSKing:

Thanks love, I see you're still doing your JW/WT thingcheesy

LOL.
Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by Yooguyz: 11:50am On Jul 06, 2014
@GSKing, what do you think about my profile picture?
Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by GSKing: 11:53am On Jul 06, 2014
Yooguyz: @GSKing, what do you think about my profile picture?

shockedshockedshockedshockedshocked

Is that you? shocked

Dayuuuuuummm! kiss

sexy as hell!
Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by Ubenedictus(m): 12:39pm On Jul 06, 2014
I love you and i wish you the best! God loves you i hope you seek him.

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by Yooguyz: 12:50pm On Jul 06, 2014
GSKing:

shockedshockedshockedshockedshocked

Is that you? shocked

Dayuuuuuummm! kiss

sexy as hell!

LOL
not me really! Looks very much like me, the eyes, nose, skin color, everything. Except for the side-beards.

When my distant cousin saw the pix, she thought i had grown a side-beard overnight grin

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by GSKing: 1:09pm On Jul 06, 2014
Yooguyz:

LOL
not me really! Looks very much like me, the eyes, nose, skin color, everything. Except for the side-beards.

When my distant cousin saw the pix, she thought i had grown a side-beard overnight grin

You're this cute? Pictures or you know nah... cheesy
Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by Yooguyz: 1:33pm On Jul 06, 2014
GSKing:

You're this cute? Pictures or you know nah... cheesy

Not on a forum like nairaland, not when i have blood-sucking-murderous-hatefilled monikers like BERNIMOOREE, BARISTARD, and co after my neck.

I don't want to wake up one morning and see my face on those homophobic newspapers.

Abeg i no won take risk. grin

1 Like

Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by GSKing: 2:06pm On Jul 06, 2014
Yooguyz:

Not on a forum like nairaland, not when i have blood-sucking-murderous-hatefilled monikers like BERNIMOOREE, BARISTARD, and co after my neck.

I don't want to wake up one morning and see my face on those homophobic newspapers.

Abeg i no won take risk. grin

lolsss, unlike me, i live in nija, but can post my pix here if i so desire, fúcks on nl can't do anything about it
Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by cbrass(m): 3:26pm On Jul 06, 2014
zeb04: God has asked us to live in peace with our fellow human being. This is really worth emulating

On rapture day,we wld be shocked when God wil find us wanting for lack of love.

Please don't mock God
Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by cbrass(m): 3:29pm On Jul 06, 2014
Cyrus Levi: You say again,in Capital fronts-HELL AWAITS YOU TOO.

Guy,Sky Daddy has cleared you a mini-flat in Hell.

Have you been to Hell to a mini-flat has been cleared for me?
Re: PHOTOS: Christians Say 'sorry' At Chicago Pride by CyrusLevi(m): 4:22pm On Jul 06, 2014
cbrass:

Have you been to Hell to a mini-flat has been cleared for me?
Ds one thinks am smiling shocked shocked

(1) (Reply)

China Makes Major Moves To Ban Islam / Pastor Wife Turn Me Horn Please Help / Tithing Has Expired - Pastor Sam Adeyemi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.