Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,901 members, 7,802,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:17 AM

Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC (9430 Views)

NCBL Proposes Law For Africans To Reclaim Africa's Natural Wealth / BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' / Show Pictures Of Africas Art And Archaeological Treasures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Onegai(f): 12:27pm On Jul 09, 2014
BananaBender:

You are insulting her because you're blinded by your hate for white men. She definitely said some hurtful truth, why don't you debunk her points by providing facts in numbers, history, research or whatever.

You didn't suggest ways the artifacts could be protected in Nigeria either, your are even more thoughtless and dumb.

Dude, you have to ignore Rossike. Everyone on NL ignores the mad animal. Just pretend he's not here, we all do.

The reality is that we cannot keep them, and we don't value them in the first place. So if we got them, we wouldn't take care of them,one more thing Nigerians will fail at. When I do buy them, Nigerians always ask me "why are you buying them?", I explain and they still are puzzled. I'm working on a History project now, and it's been an uphill task (Nigerians don't care and Foreigners don't want you taking a source of funding from them, so they won't help out).

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Onegai(f): 12:36pm On Jul 09, 2014
voltron:

@Rossikki.. you are well I see.. not even the Boko-Haram or Chibok rants have gotten you off your be-labored camel. grin grin grin

But say which other artefacts do you recall Nigeria has protected and kept in good condition for our future generations.. last i heard the National Films Office lost Historical Reels of Pre-independence Nigeria and post to a fire.. and most have been destroyed by mold and mites grin grin but it is good to see some right-thinking person is suggesting it.. 50+years after

Nigerian Film Industry would make you cry, they've lost the old horror movies like "Wili-Wili". We went to Nigerian Railway Corporation, things like maps and printing presses were lying around carelessly. National Museum is empty, National Gallery of Art has no more than 50 paintings and sculptures together, none older than the 1960s and some are bleeding off and they cannot be bothered to train an art restorer or even put out a guide booklet for visitors. Then people want the British Museum to return 400-year old statues. The first time I carefully handled and polished an Olowe of Ise (100-year old statue), the mallam who was helping us with it grinned and said he was pleasantly surprised. That man knew more about antique statues more than anyone at National Museum.
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Onegai(f): 12:43pm On Jul 09, 2014
thelastmediator:
@Onegai, Going by the reasons you gave up there which to some extent made a lot of sense, what do we (Africans) the rightful owner stand to gain by letting it remain with the people that acquire them Illegally? Don't you think a fraction of what is made from keeping the artefacts should go to the home country?

@skillet, The comparison you made up there doesn't apply to this situation. I guess it's easier relocating freed slaves to Sierra Leone because they will be more of burden than benefit

A fraction should be sent to us, but be honest, where do you think that money will end up? Conservation and Preservation Centres are largely privately funded, have you heard of anyone the Ministry of Culture and Tourism supports? Heck, if the money came down to us and we used to give Art students scholarships, I'd be delighted.The Oba of Benin and the Northern Sultans are the traditional rulers who support historical art.
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by TerryCarr(m): 1:49pm On Jul 09, 2014
skillet: Its simple. To us, those art pieces have fetish relevance. We will begin to worship them again thereby aligning the art form only to religious worship and worshippers.
most of you guys worship a middle eastern god so it does not matter if these things are religious or not. how many Greeks do a "fetish" worship of Athena or Zeus? or does fetish only apply to Africans tongue

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 2:56pm On Jul 09, 2014
Smartsyn: And they are still seeing us as those timid people they met then, to be asking that kind of question. They should just return it,it's ours and we do whatever we like with it.

True
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by zurine(f): 3:06pm On Jul 09, 2014
of course they should
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 3:48pm On Jul 09, 2014
Onegai: Okay, so I'm going to have a rant here, because this is my specialty.
No, they shouldn't return it. We don't deserve them.
Almost all the families I know with artefacts keep them under lock and key (mine included). Because Nigerians (Africans and Blacks too) are very backwards, sorry to say this.
Monotheistic Abrahamic religions came to China, Japan, Pacific Islands and Celts and Native American Indians and so much more. None of them went crazy, carried it on their heads and despoiled the works of their ancestors. Like Africans did.
As someone who buys artefacts (for preservation) and works to being a Historical art curator one day, I am ashamed of the Nigerian Gallery of Art and the National Museum. Whom are empty and filled with people who can't tell you an Onabolu from an Dale (both Nigerian). Even the private collectors are accused of being fetish-worshippers for trying to save our history.
If we return them, people will clamour for them to be destroyed because "my pastor said it is stopping my destiny from manifesting" or will sell them off for an ipad or Nokia Lumia. We Nigerians are not even INTERESTED in visiting them (you will see more whites asking me questions about Ife, Bini and Igbo-Ukwu than a Nigerian). So let people who can value this history (which btw is a great tourist attraction and would aid our broken economy) keep them.
And if you are interested in seeing a huge collection of them, please contact me. Or better yet, contact OYASAF.

I'm glad you brought this up, the issue is will Nigerians maintain it, and sadly I don't see many Nigerians will maintain it and appreciate it. Until Nigerians take it seriously then maybe people can sleep at night that the art won't be destroyed or sold within months of it being reclaimed From the UK or France and etc.
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 3:52pm On Jul 09, 2014
TerryCarr:
most of you guys worship a middle eastern god it does not matter if these things are religious or not. how many Greeks a "fetish" worship of Athena or Zeus? or does fetish only apply to Africans tongue

Good point, Some Nigerians don't know how to separate the difference between art and stone worshiping. The Italians and Greeks are Christians but still appreciate their art of Zeus, Athena, Hercules, and etc. So why can't Africans do that?

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by domneut29: 6:16pm On Jul 09, 2014
CHECK OUT THIS MUSIC... YOUTUBE... NEUT DOMINICS... MAMA AFRICA TO DORAH AKUNYILI
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by essenceJ: 7:16pm On Jul 10, 2014
Not just the euros but the world including Africans have no respect for Africans. We are still seen as unfit children who can’t keep their room clean how can we expect to be allowed to be in charge of the items in our bedroom? Let some strangers come in and protect our piggy bank, our clothes etc…keep it safe for us miles away until we can PROVE to these strangers otherwise. Im freakin speechless right now!!

The freakin nerve- I know I went in ur purse and stole ur money but everyone agrees I can spend it better. I mean what are u going to do with it if I gave it back? Do u in Africa have a bank account? This money is for all humanity not just you. I need to do with it what I feel serves the most number of people. We bought some gold from Italy, should we give that back too? Lol comparing apples with durian. There’s a difference my dear idiot between robbing and stealing from a peoples. Da vinci on his own moved to Paris and sold the mona lisa to king francois I of France, this is not comparable. You stupid idiot! If humans throughout history thought like you every civilization that once was would remain in peril as according to you it makes no sense to start somewhere after you have been destroyed. Yes the dumb “leaders” that the west has put in place has done their jobs well – screwing Africa over, however those of us who believe making a difference means starting somewhere, doing something, bringing issues to the forefront are disgusted by your reasoning. That the burden of proof is somehow on us the victimized is ludicrous. I would rather take my money and spend it on alcohol than for you to steal it from me to buy a pair of Louboutin’s. I don’t have to assure you you freakin bastard thief that I won’t use it on alcohol, or that I will invest it, as it’s mine and I am not ur child or slave I do not have to account to you. It is so demeaning to read what some of you peasant slaves are regurgitating. The ones in power who are selling their own out and have been for decades no longer frighten or disgust me; the minions like you and the dumb Liberian in Ghana who wants us to “stop dwelling on the past no matter how treasured it may be, particularly in the current computer age! Today, Africa is engulfed with problems of all kinds and our deepest concern should and must be how best the West can come to the aid of the Africans to fight these problems” that’s what’s scary. He put his name next to such lunacy. There’s no one they love more than a slave like you Joe Wandah. I’m assuming most all of you here are adults, probably have or will have a shit load of idiot kids that you have nothing of value to pass on to. Knowledge is lacking, there is no vision, everyone living for today and looking to whitey for a handout. If you’re not happy that the West “came to the rescue” of the poor black boy, then it’s thank God for the UN (lol) or the Chinese or the Brits u name it you think they’re better, more knowledgeable, more capable of doing any and everything than you are.

So instead of looking to build, rebuild, increase tourism, economic profile of country you call home, you prefer to agree that nothing ever was nor will be great about Africa. I came across this site because of research I am doing on Africa. After seeing make shift houses they aptly call museums I was disturbed. As a fashion designer I took many art history classes and visited all the major museums- Louvre, Musee des Beaux Arts, the Met, Art Museum of Philadelphia etc. I wondered why with such rich culture did the ones in Africa look so shabby remembering collections from western museums. Any idea how much money is involved in the “business of museums”? That alone is enough to give any country in Africa an economic boost, not to mention what it would do for one’s sense of self. If the fear is how well preserved the artefacts will be, illegal possession is not the answer.

They have idiot Africans like Wandah so convinced that we are inferior and NEED them that it makes the task of developing that much more of a challenge. Having to school people on the basics, get them to a level beyond 5th grade mentality, in order to address the necessary issues sets us back but if that’s what it will take then I’m here to give you information u obviously lack. We have to work diligently to undo the systemic brainwash job that has engulfed so many of you. We have to decode the aftermath of slavery, delete the side effects that has left you a self-hating Black person, cleanse you then start the process all over of making you understand that you come from greatness in other words your ability to be great is inherent. We have to remember that as a victimized person who has been told over and again that you are ugly, you need a hug and a reminder from those who care that you actually aren’t ugly. You were once crowned queen, Ms. Africa. That for a long time people wanted to look like you. That you can still be seen as beautiful by most, you just have to work on the scars the euros left after they raped and beat you, taking everything, leaving you depressed, not wanting or knowing how to keep on or start over. Just as negative reinforcement has long term dreadful, lingering effects on the human psyche, so too can positive conditioning do the opposite.

We Africans have to love ourselves, then one another. Yes I called some on here idiots, but maybe that’s my way of showing tough love. Each of you is capable of finding truth and reestablishing yourself on this earth as a smart, capable, independent being who seeks to make a difference no matter how small. We don’t need get-out-of-the-way people. Some will lead, most will follow but make sure you know who’s in front of you. They might not be taking you down the right road if they’re European…just saying. If it has a history of looking like a duck, quacking like a duck.…don’t be surprised if you hear a bullet and someone screaming ‘duck!’

Essence Denver, Colorado
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by essenceJ: 7:29pm On Jul 10, 2014
Not just the euros but the world including Africans have no respect for Africans. We are still seen as unfit children who can’t keep their room clean how can we expect to be allowed to be in charge of the items in our bedroom? Let some strangers come in and protect our piggy bank, our clothes etc…keep it safe for us miles away until we can PROVE to these strangers otherwise. Im freakin speechless right now!!

The freakin nerve- I know I went in ur purse and stole ur money but everyone agrees I can spend it better. I mean what are u going to do with it if I gave it back? Do u in Africa have a bank account? This money is for all humanity not just you. I need to do with it what I feel serves the most number of people. We bought some gold from Italy, should we give that back too? Lol comparing apples with durian. There’s a difference my dear idiot between robbing and stealing from a peoples. Da vinci on his own moved to Paris and sold the mona lisa to king francois I of France, this is not comparable. You stupid idiot! If humans throughout history thought like you every civilization that once was would remain in peril as according to you it makes no sense to start somewhere after you have been destroyed. Yes the dumb “leaders” that the west has put in place has done their jobs well – screwing Africa over, however those of us who believe making a difference means starting somewhere, doing something, bringing issues to the forefront are disgusted by your reasoning. That the burden of proof is somehow on us the victimized is ludicrous. I would rather take my money and spend it on alcohol than for you to steal it from me to buy a pair of Louboutin’s. I don’t have to assure you you freakin bastard thief that I won’t use it on alcohol, or that I will invest it, as it’s mine and I am not ur child or slave I do not have to account to you. It is so demeaning to read what some of you peasant slaves are regurgitating. The ones in power who are selling their own out and have been for decades no longer frighten or disgust me; the minions like you and the dumb Liberian in Ghana who wants us to “stop dwelling on the past no matter how treasured it may be, particularly in the current computer age! Today, Africa is engulfed with problems of all kinds and our deepest concern should and must be how best the West can come to the aid of the Africans to fight these problems” that’s what’s scary. He put his name next to such lunacy. There’s no one they love more than a slave like you Joe Wandah. I’m assuming most all of you here are adults, probably have or will have a shit load of idiot kids that you have nothing of value to pass on to. Knowledge is lacking, there is no vision, everyone living for today and looking to whitey for a handout. If you’re not happy that the West “came to the rescue” of the poor black boy, then it’s thank God for the UN (lol) or the Chinese or the Brits u name it you think they’re better, more knowledgeable, more capable of doing any and everything than you are.

So instead of looking to build, rebuild, increase tourism, economic profile of country you call home, you prefer to agree that nothing ever was nor will be great about Africa. I came across this site because of research I am doing on Africa. After seeing make shift houses they aptly call museums I was disturbed. As a fashion designer I took many art history classes and visited all the major museums- Louvre, Musee des Beaux Arts, the Met, Art Museum of Philadelphia etc. I wondered why with such rich culture did the ones in Africa look so shabby remembering collections from western museums. Any idea how much money is involved in the “business of museums”? That alone is enough to give any country in Africa an economic boost, not to mention what it would do for one’s sense of self. If the fear is how well preserved the artefacts will be, illegal possession is not the answer.

They have idiot Africans like Wandah so convinced that we are inferior and NEED them that it makes the task of developing that much more of a challenge. Having to school people on the basics, get them to a level beyond 5th grade mentality, in order to address the necessary issues sets us back but if that’s what it will take then I’m here to give you information u obviously lack. We have to work diligently to undo the systemic brainwash job that has engulfed so many of you. We have to decode the aftermath of slavery, delete the side effects that has left you a self-hating Black person, cleanse you then start the process all over of making you understand that you come from greatness in other words your ability to be great is inherent. We have to remember that as a victimized person who has been told over and again that you are ugly, you need a hug and a reminder from those who care that you actually aren’t ugly. You were once crowned queen, Ms. Africa. That for a long time people wanted to look like you. That you can still be seen as beautiful by most, you just have to work on the scars the euros left after they raped and beat you, taking everything, leaving you depressed, not wanting or knowing how to keep on or start over. Just as negative reinforcement has long term dreadful, lingering effects on the human psyche, so too can positive conditioning do the opposite.

We Africans have to love ourselves, then one another. Yes I called some on here idiots, but maybe that’s my way of showing tough love. Each of you is capable of finding truth and reestablishing yourself on this earth as a smart, capable, independent being who seeks to make a difference no matter how small. We don’t need get-out-of-the-way people. Some will lead, most will follow but make sure you know who’s in front of you. They might not be taking you down the right road if they’re European…just saying. If it has a history of looking like a duck, quacking like a duck.…don’t be surprised if you hear a bullet and someone screaming ‘duck!’

Essence Denver, Colorado
skillet: This position is quite wrong. Althought those artifacts were made in africa, they do not belong to only africa. They belong to the world as they are now part of world history. Especially where the study of art history is concerned. Take for instance the benin bronzes. If they are returned to nigeria, the royal court of benin will claim them and lock them away, like their fore fathers did in the past. Those benin artifacts were created by slaves, who till today, are forbidden to own any. So bringing benin bronzes back to benin will fuel fetish worship again and dampen artistic mein of the people again. So, i painfully think its better the artifacts remain where they are becos we cant handle them. We dont even have facilities to preserve precious works of art.

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jul 10, 2014
Let them pls return our sense of accountability!

2 Likes

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by anonymous6(f): 2:20am On Jul 11, 2014
carletta: Let them pls return our sense of accountability!

Amen, I pray in general most Nigerians reach that level
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by skillet(m): 6:10pm On Jul 12, 2014
Sorry, i replied this late, but you understand. By "some of u worship an eastern God am sure you are refering to Jehova. I wont bother talking too much but if ogun demands blood for worship, and the binis require slaves for sacrifice and Jehova just requires that you belive in his Son, i think Jehova is the safest bet yet.

TerryCarr:
most of you guys worship a middle eastern god so it does not matter if these things are religious or not. how many Greeks do a "fetish" worship of Athena or Zeus? or does fetish only apply to Africans tongue
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by TerryCarr(m): 6:29pm On Jul 12, 2014
skillet: Sorry, i replied this late, but you understand. By "some of u worship an eastern God am sure you are refering to Jehova. I wont bother talking too much but if ogun demands blood for worship, and the binis require slaves for sacrifice and Jehova just requires that you belive in his Son, i think Jehova is the safest bet yet.

i had to Google Jehovah tongue so you like worshiping a Jewish god grin
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by skillet(m): 6:33pm On Jul 12, 2014
My dear essence.
Its very interesting to engage in intellectual discourse one more, just for the purpose fraternising wIth kin and kith. Forgive me for not responding to your email earlier but lets blame nepa and waec. . Yes, your anger is justified, but it is misdirected. And that little factor changes all things and at the same time makes all things remain the same. You are angry that we are not asking for the head of europeans on a stake. But honestly, we cant. Our politicians have stolen everything for themselves and so nothing works in this country. . Not the schools, not the. Railways, not the hospitals and definitely not the museums. So please, lets not get angry at me or us, who say: "our country managers are funcked. Lets deny them more funds to steal. Get angry with and at the morons who rob us and take our money abroad. Infact, if i was as "tough loving" as you are, i could take your choice of publishing your location as an afront on the particular values you esteem. But i know better or at least well enuff to know that the system in denver, colorado, works a hundred times better than the system in ikeja, lagos.
-skillet. Asaba, Delta State.

essenceJ: Not just the euros but the world including Africans have no respect for Africans. We are still seen as unfit children who can’t keep their room clean how can we expect to be allowed to be in charge of the items in our bedroom? Let some strangers come in and protect our piggy bank, our clothes etc…keep it safe for us miles away until we can PROVE to these strangers otherwise. Im freakin speechless right now!!

Essence Denver, Colorado
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by TerryCarr(m): 1:29am On Jul 16, 2014
skillet: Sorry, i replied this late, but you understand. By "some of u worship an eastern God am sure you are refering to Jehova. I wont bother talking too much but if ogun demands blood for worship, and the binis require slaves for sacrifice and J[b]ehova just requires that you belive in his Son, i think Jehova is the safest bet yet.[/b]
you do realize the only reason way you worship him is because of Europe
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by skillet(m): 6:54am On Jul 16, 2014
I dont think dat is the issue here. The issue is: "would i like the bones of Jesus to be ferried to Nigeria?" The answer is "no, because some nigerians would become fanatical over its worship." The same thing goes for most of our traditional works of art. Anything that will promote fanaticim must be nipped in the bud.

TerryCarr:
you do realize the only reason way you worship him is because of Europe
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Rossikki: 2:43pm On Jul 16, 2014
Onegai:

Dude, you have to ignore Rossike. Everyone on NL ignores the mad animal. Just pretend he's not here, we all do.

The reality is that we cannot keep them, and we don't value them in the first place. So if we got them, we wouldn't take care of them,one more thing Nigerians will fail at. When I do buy them, Nigerians always ask me "why are you buying them?", I explain and they still are puzzled. I'm working on a History project now, and it's been an uphill task (Nigerians don't care and Foreigners don't want you taking a source of funding from them, so they won't help out).
Has your nasty slave self ever stepped foot in a Nigerian museum? If so how many? Name them. Fact is artefacts held in Nigerian museums as well as private collections are well kept, and you wouldn't know this because your first instinct is to kiss foreign asss and call your people "backward". Also, you need to talk to Nigerians involved or interested in your discipline, not just people off the street. Then again, that doesn't allow you to feel superior and trash "Nigerians" as all uncaring and dumb does it?
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Rossikki: 2:50pm On Jul 16, 2014
BananaBender:

You are insulting her because you're blinded by your hate for white men. She definitely said some hurtful truth, why don't you debunk her points by providing facts in numbers, history, research or whatever.

You didn't suggest ways the artifacts could be protected in Nigeria either, your are even more thoughtless and dumb.
I most certainly DID suggest ways to protect the artefacts. Go back and read my post, this time with your brain switched on, and your "love for white men" switched off, even if temporarily.

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Rossikki: 2:53pm On Jul 16, 2014
Funny thing is 99% of people who make these comments about "we cannot maintain them" have not stepped foot in a Nigerian museum or gallery in the last 25 years. They just regurgitate the same nonsense they've heard from some other idio.t who himself never visited any museums or historical sites. If they actually visited our museums, they would see artefacts that have sat there for decades and have been admirably maintained by dedicated Nigerian curators. But no. Afterall there is always the white man's nuts to kiss. Dependent, colonised dolts with no dignity. Go to Esie museum in Benin, and see thousands of soapstone images, the world's largest collection, held in pristine condition. What about Jos museum that holds the world's largest collection of Nok art? No. Afterall is the British museum in London short of space for our artefacts? Go to Oron museum in Calabar. That place holds the largest collection of ancient wood carvings in all Africa, and their artefacts are impeccably maintained. Same as the Gidan Makama museum in Kano, holding vast treasures from ancient Kano and the surrounding country, including ancient written scripts and maps. So many others, all doing well, yet all some people here can think of is to "let the whites have it!" Shameless people.

2 Likes

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 3:03pm On Jul 16, 2014
I think Africa should reclaim it's lost treasures, why not? No one has a right to go to another man's land and steal something.
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Fulaman198(m): 3:06pm On Jul 16, 2014
skillet: This position is quite wrong. Althought those artifacts were made in africa, they do not belong to only africa. They belong to the world as they are now part of world history. Especially where the study of art history is concerned. Take for instance the benin bronzes. If they are returned to nigeria, the royal court of benin will claim them and lock them away, like their fore fathers did in the past. Those benin artifacts were created by slaves, who till today, are forbidden to own any. So bringing benin bronzes back to benin will fuel fetish worship again and dampen artistic mein of the people again. So, i painfully think its better the artifacts remain where they are becos we cant them. We dont even have facilities to preserve precious works of art.

If they belong to the world, then let the world come and see them in Africa
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jul 16, 2014
Rossikki: Funny thing is 99% of people who make these comments about "we cannot maintain them" have not stepped foot in a Nigerian museum or gallery in the last 25 years. They just regurgitate the same nonsense they've heard from some other idio.t who himself never visited any museums or historical sites. If they actually visited our museums, they would see artefacts that have sat there for decades and have been admirably maintained by dedicated Nigerian curators. But no. Afterall there is always the white man's nuts to kiss. Dependent, colonised idio.ts with no dignity. Go to Esie museum on Benin, and see thousands of soapstone images, the world's largest collection, held in pristine condition. What about Jos museum that holds the world's largest collection of Nok art? No. Afterall is the British museum in London short of space for our artefacts? Damn idiattts!

We have one Historic Monument I would like you to visit when ever you are in Lagos. it is similar to the sights where JFK got assassinated with his convoy.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-I77tcrE_wng/UvySJr8AOsI/AAAAAAAAt6o/tFiqwUyx7MI/s1600/Cenotaphh.jpg[/img]

What are your views on Nigeria and Maintenance of our Historic Monuments grin grin grin grin
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Rossikki: 3:21pm On Jul 16, 2014
voltron:

We have one Historic Monument I would like you to visit when ever you are in Lagos. it is similar to the sights where JFK got assassinated with his convoy.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-I77tcrE_wng/UvySJr8AOsI/AAAAAAAAt6o/tFiqwUyx7MI/s1600/Cenotaphh.jpg[/img]

What are your views on Nigeria and Maintenance of our Historic Monuments grin grin grin grin
We don't really have much by way of "historic monuments" if you mean publicly placed sculptures and statues similar to what you'll find in say Trafalgar Sq in London. What we have are generally half-hearted attempts to create our versions of Nelson's column etc, which generally fall flat even before they're commissioned. We were a conquered people, so much of the original/authentic grandiosity is gone. What we DO have are thousands of artefacts in our museums and private collections, most of which are well maintained, and ought to be visited by more folks.

2 Likes

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by Rossikki: 4:00pm On Jul 16, 2014
skillet: This position is quite wrong. Althought those artifacts were made in africa, they do not belong to only africa. They belong to the world as they are now part of world history. Especially where the study of art history is concerned. Take for instance the benin bronzes. If they are returned to nigeria, the royal court of benin will claim them and lock them away, like their fore fathers did in the past. Those benin artifacts were created by slaves, who till today, are forbidden to own any. So bringing benin bronzes back to benin will fuel fetish worship again and dampen artistic mein of the people again. So, i painfully think its better the artifacts remain where they are becos we cant handle them. We dont even have facilities to preserve precious works of art.

Can you see what I mean by ignorance? Look at how this kid has rubbished our abilities, yet I can bet you any money he has never visited a single Nigerian museum in his entire life. Yet he just knows that "we don't have facilities to preserve precious works of art". This is how you ignorant, empty skulls come here and fill the airwaves with your uninformed, negativist balderdash. You sit in your own little cocoon assuming the worst about everything. You don't go out anywhere except the beer parlour or pepper soup joint. Or ashi joint. Your head is empty of real facts about anything. Only negative assumptions. Don't get up your lazy butts and go check out what's going on in your country. This was how the other day, I posted images from tourist attractions in Nigeria. Poster after poster responded by stating they had no idea such places existed in Nigeria. How would they know when their heads are stuck overseas? Of course they had no problem reeling out the major spots in London, New York, Dubai and Paris. The problem is colonial mentality and inferiority complex. Deal with that, and you will discover that Nigeria and Africa have a lot more to offer than you can possibly imagine.

1 Like

Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by skillet(m): 9:33pm On Jul 16, 2014
Well, if being an "afican" taught you to respond to arguments in this manner, then you have made my point for me. I would rather be european and know how to discuss properly, than be an uncivilised african like you.

Rossikki: Can you see what I mean by ignorance? Look at how this kid has rubbished our abilities, yet I can bet you any money he has never visited a single Nigerian museum in his entire life. Yet he just knows that "we don't have facilities to preserve precious works of art". This is how you ignorant, empty skulls come here and fill the airwaves with your uninformed, negativist balderdash. You sit in your own little cocoon assuming the worst about everything. You don't go out anywhere except the beer parlour or pepper soup joint. Or ashi joint. Your head is empty of real facts about anything. Only negative assumptions. Don't get up your lazy butts and go check out what's going on in your country. This was how the other day, I posted images from tourist attractions in Nigeria. Poster after poster responded by stating they had no idea such places existed in Nigeria. How would they know when their heads are stuck overseas? Of course they had no problem reeling out the major spots in London, New York, Dubai and Paris. The problem is colonial mentality and inferiority complex. Deal with that, and you will discover that Nigeria and Africa have a lot more to offer than you can possibly imagine.
Re: Should Africa Reclaim Its Stolen Treasures? - BBC by skillet(m): 9:42pm On Jul 16, 2014
Okay o. If you say so. Afterall God said "let there be light" and there was light. Only dat nigeria does not have light.

Fulaman198:

If they belong to the world, then let the world come and see them in Africa

(1) (2) (Reply)

Youths Chase-Away King For Shunning Traditional Festival / Igbo Fraud Permanently Put To Rest. Bonny (ibani) Language Compared With Igbo / Culture And Igbo Business Practices!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.