Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,140 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:40 AM

Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord (2545 Views)

Cost Of Front control arm Ball Joint & Tie Rod Kits For BMW E36 1999 Series / Please Help Me Make A Car Choice(camry 2006,civic 2008,accord 2007) / Bad Tie Rod Symptoms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by klipse: 9:19pm On Jul 06, 2014
Hello guys, I recently noticed that my accord 2008 keeps pulling to the left or right. When I brake it randomly swerves, I have to hold the steering tightly to keep the car from changing lanes. My mechanic says I have to change my front shocks while another said its my tie rods. Please help, I dnt want to waste hard earned money changing the wrong parts. What can be the problem, its so bad that I have to move below 60km/hr on third mainland bridge.
Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by chillex8(m): 1:30pm On Jul 07, 2014
Get a complete lower arm+ rubber bushing for your front wheels....

That is the culprit.

Thank me later..

1 Like

Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by cardoctor(m): 2:53pm On Jul 07, 2014
chillex8: Get a complete lower arm+ rubber bushing for your front wheels....

That is the culprit.

Thank me later..

The only possible possibility. Spot on.

Car-Doctor.

2 Likes

Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by klipse: 7:39pm On Jul 07, 2014
chillex8: Get a complete lower arm+ rubber bushing for your front wheels....

That is the culprit.

Thank me later..

Wow. I had changed the driver's side lower arm in November but I ddnt change any bushings. So those this mean my tie rods and shocks are still ok? You sound like you've had a similar problem too. Thanks a bunch really.
Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by chillex8(m): 11:27pm On Jul 07, 2014
klipse:

Wow. I had changed the driver's side lower arm in November but I ddnt change any bushings. So those this mean my tie rods and shocks are still ok? You sound like you've had a similar problem too. Thanks a bunch really.

Exactly my thoughts... Both lower arms bushing for the two front wheels were initially bad, but cos they were both bad, u won't notice any swerving while driving or breaking..

As u changed one side, be it d drivers or d passengers, u will get those symptoms u are complaining of...

For each lower arm, there are two rubber bushings attached..

Get a replacement with a complete lower arm+ bushing..

DON'T allow any mechanic *nak* any bushing into ur current lower arm...

Just get a complete replacement..

Pls get it done ASAP. Its dangerous to drive such car..

P.S your shocks and tie-rod might still be ok, but they will NEVER present wit that peculiar symptom if they go bad..

Thank me later..
Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by Nobody: 12:42am On Jul 08, 2014
You wont know for sure until you get your car on a rack and do an inspection.

I've seen cars with perfect suspension bit sod this due to too much toe.

So before you get parts get your car checked out first.\

PS: This is one of those things that can't be solved easily online, it's not like you're getting a series of codes that you can be guided on.
Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:53am On Jul 08, 2014
klipse: Hello guys, I recently noticed that my accord 2008 keeps pulling to the left or right. When I brake it randomly swerves, I have to hold the steering tightly to keep the car from changing lanes. My mechanic says I have to change my front shocks while another said its my tie rods. Please help, I dnt want to waste hard earned money changing the wrong parts. What can be the problem, its so bad that I have to move below 60km/hr on third mainland bridge.

all the people before me are wrong your car needs wheel tracking
Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by chillex8(m): 1:02am On Jul 08, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

Are you sure sir

Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:43pm On Jul 08, 2014
Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 08, 2014
I think the OP should get his two front wheels jacked up & checked for any unwanted play to verify the status of the steering components. If no issues, checking for wheel alignment is next.
Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by klipse: 6:54am On Jul 12, 2014
I had my lower arms changed, the flat bushings were busted. I also changed the stabilizer rods. @chillex8 the car's handling has greatly improved, but I can still feel it swerve a little bit. Its still not as confirm and precise as it used to be. While the mechanic worked, I noticed that my two front tyres had worn alot along the inside arc as in real bad like a k-leg. Is this a toe issue?

@CityNG how can the toe be adjusted and where can I take it for adjustment?
Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by Nobody: 8:59am On Jul 12, 2014
klipse: I had my lower arms changed, the flat bushings were busted. I also changed the stabilizer rods. @chillex8 the car's handling has greatly improved, but I can still feel it swerve a little bit. Its still not as confirm and precise as it used to be. While the mechanic worked, I noticed that my two front tyres had worn alot along the inside arc as in real bad like a k-leg. Is this a toe issue?

Unless you take the car for wheel alignment, it would still be swerving. If your rear tires are good, you can swap them with the front ones and go for an alignment.
The uneven wear you noticed on the tire is a side effect of your previous problem.
Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by chillex8(m): 10:53am On Jul 12, 2014
klipse: I had my lower arms changed, the flat bushings were busted. I also changed the stabilizer rods. @chillex8 the car's handling has greatly improved, but I can still feel it swerve a little bit. Its still not as confirm and precise as it used to be. While the mechanic worked, I noticed that my two front tyres had worn alot along the inside arc as in real bad like a k-leg. Is this a toe issue?

Progress..

Good that you differentiate the swerving now.. Cos I believe it should only swerve in one direction when you take your hands off the steering wheel.. As @ before where it swerves towards both directions when you accelerate or brake..

The current swerving should be sorted by wheel alignment..

Lastly, the k-leg issue is due to your wheel hub.. It should be removed and checked.. There are normally some screws that holds it intact.. When they wear off, the wheel is loose, and takes in a k-leg or a bow-leg..

Thank me later.
Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 12, 2014

I salute you on getting work on your suspense done, many overlook this in Nigeria as well as most things that do not trigger a CEL.

If you do any work on the suspension, especially if you change parts you should get an alignment done. Some work do not require the alignment to be rechecked but it's a good policy.

When you wear inside track of your tires this COULD mean that you have too much toe out and the tires are scrubbing as they drive down the road. It COULD also mean that a part is out of specs. A good alignment shop will put your car on the racks and can do a recheck which will tell them if you have to replace/repair some parts before you can get a precise alignment done. No sense building a house on a shaky foundation sort of a thing.

See if you can link up with other drivers who drive similar cars and have them tell you what shop they recommend. I am collating a list of repair shops on my auto forum. This info is invaluable in my opinion.

Good luck on your repairs.
Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by klipse: 6:13pm On Jul 15, 2014
Thanks alot guys especially chillex8 and CityNG.

I went into the car alignment shop at bridgestone Ikoyi. Heard they were good so i went (cost me 5grand ooo). They used some kind of light instrument to align both front wheels and front to rear wheels. They recommended I change my tyres, said I may have weak tyre walls, whatever that means.
But the car rides alot better now. So i guess i'm in line for 2 new tyres, any recommendations on this? Bridgestone offered me theirs for N61.5 grand a piece imagine!!! cry I am currently running on 4 michelin tyres all follow come, haven't changed any.

Thanks once again.

1 Like

Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by REDBULL1(m): 6:58pm On Jul 15, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

a friend had dis kinda experience with his Camry. after changing the bushings, the problem persisted. all He did was go for alignment n problem was solved
Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jul 15, 2014
klipse: Bridgestone offered me theirs for N61.5 grand a piece imagine!!! :.
shocked Which type of tyres are we talking about here?
Firestone is also a good product & it should be around N18 grand a piece.
Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by symbianDON(m): 5:34pm On Jul 17, 2014
N61,5k for one tire?? Na tractor you de drive? grin jus kidding. Lolz

1 Like

Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by klipse: 5:54pm On Jul 30, 2014
Hi, my mechanic again noticed that my rear shocks are gone. I had a feeling too cos each time i go over the rails on 3rd mainland bridge it shakes badly at the rear.

I love my car being in top shape all the time, so sorry if am bothering you guys in here grin. So I need to know how much it will cost to replace both rear shocks and front shocks resp.?
Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by klipse: 5:55pm On Jul 30, 2014
symbianDON: N61,5k for one tire?? Na tractor you de drive? grin jus kidding. Lolz

abeg help me ask those Bridgestone guys oooo
Re: Bad Tie Rod Or Front Shocks 2008 Accord by tsiriman(m): 7:31pm On Jul 30, 2014
Few days ago I bought 4 Michelin Primacy 3 225/50 R17 W98 tires for 150k for my 08 accord.

(1) (Reply)

Anything Wrong With The Nissan Juke Model? / Five Car Cleaning Tips You Have Never Heard Of / Lagos Cleared Acura Tl 2005 For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.