Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:40 PM

Are Programmers Born Or Made? - Programming (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Are Programmers Born Or Made? (15234 Views)

Are Programmers(coderz) The Smartest Type Of People On The Planet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dhtml(m): 2:36am On Jul 21, 2014
lordZOUGA:
you can look at it this way: Some people might have never been programmers if they hadn't decided that programming is something they want to do everyday. I mean, they could also be good at mechanical engineering or music or electrical engineering.
Keep in my mind that by programming, I mean the ability to solve a problem using a computer by supplying to it a set of instructions.

Like I said, programmers are made. a lot of people have the ability but whether they want to do it or not is the issue.
I took that into calculation as well. I know people that have great passion for programming, went through hell to learn programming, but their brain is not just for it. And remember also that programming is a lot like mathematics, and we do know that mathematics is easier for some people and very tough and impossible for others. Mastering programming is tough - filled with frustration and lots of things, some people simple cant cope with the stress and run away when they start facing such challenges.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by asalimpo(m): 8:29pm On Jul 21, 2014
dhtml:
I took that into calculation as well. I know people that have great passion for programming, went through hell to learn programming, but their brain is not just for it. And remember also that programming is a lot like mathematics, and we do know that mathematics is easier for some people and very tough and impossible for others. Mastering programming is tough - filled with frustration and lots of things, some people simple cant cope with the stress and run away when they start facing such challenges.

i dnt blv this theory and thnk its a cop out. Sure theyll always b ppl custom made for a partcular actvty but persistence and hard work can take one very very far.
Just going out and plugging evryday and one day tht diffcult concept will crack open and one will understand it.but i thnk ppl giv up too soon. U tried for 1 yr and gave up how about 2 ,how about 5? How about 10? Keep truckg.

Scientists/engineers take calculus for granted but it took centuries ,from the greeks to newton/leibniz and others thinking and wrkg on it for the concept to become better understood and well formed.
At no point did the mathematicians grappling with d concepts say "mayb i'm not cut out for mathematcs"!
Hard concepts just take harder to crack (som concepts yield only to d sharpest mind and even then d sharpest mind still has to sweat it out e.g andrew wiles - solver of fermat's last theorem worked for 7 good years to crack it.But first had to believe tht d problem would yield to him).
Fact is, programmg is one of a rare field where u cant bulshit your way through. It's like mathematics. You cant bluff. When ppl see d work required they chicken out and run. Stay with it. It's not hard - after you know it(i.e d language part).

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by boomtube: 12:01am On Jul 22, 2014
People chicken out after 1 year of programming, and they cannot even develop a half-decent application. wtf?
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by GodMode: 5:26am On Jul 22, 2014
dhtml:

lordZOUGA:
you can look at it this way: Some people might have never been programmers if they hadn't decided that programming is something they want to do everyday. I mean, they could also be good at mechanical engineering or music or electrical engineering.
Keep in my mind that by programming, I mean the ability to solve a problem using a computer by supplying to it a set of instructions.

Like I said, programmers are made. a lot of people have the ability but whether they want to do it or not is the issue.

You two are wrong... Programming involves critical thinking abilities and just some maths...

The problem with learning programming or any other thing is TIME.

In advance countries, most of them start learning how to code at a young age (mostly before age 15), at that age they are just learning for the fun of it, nothing else is on their mind.

In developing/underdeveloped countries, people most times don't have computers at a young age so they don't really about coding. The ones that have computers don't really know about coding. Mostly, they end up playing sports for fun or watching entertainment during their free time (In my opinion, 90% of Nigerian youths and students are guilty of this), cos they already see school as a means to be successful not learning something as technical as coding.

The important thing about coding is, knowing the syntax, in-built functions and some other things off hand, which is usually not an easy thing to learn without practice especially in the first year of learning to code.

That's why google (having internet access) is important.. Even pro coders use google... But what surprises me most times are people like Bucky and others that do video tutorials...
They explain as if they're the ones that created the language... I have this belief that they rehearse before they start but that would mean I'm jealous (typical judgemental Nigerian)... those guys are very good and they are below 30. If those freelancers are that good, I don't want to imagine the type of coders that work for google, yahoo, apple, activision, rockstar games, ubisoft e.t.c

I'll only give myself headache...

In summary,
I regret not knowing about coding at primary school level......

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by lordZOUGA(m): 10:52pm On Jul 24, 2014
GodMode, you missed the point.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by GodMode: 3:50am On Jul 25, 2014
lordZOUGA: GodMode, you missed the point.

Pls enlighten me!!
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by uzoexcel(m): 1:17pm On Aug 04, 2014
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
spikesC:

Damn, you must have wasted that guy's time sad
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by asalimpo(m): 5:25pm On Aug 04, 2014
Issue is, ppl are afraid of wat they dont know. And the fear grows stronger with age. The Familiar is comfortg. And as ppl get older they wanna live in d familiar rather thn branch out into new territory and suffer some losses as a necessary learning costs, so internal resistance to change builds up. It's this resistance tht mustb countered
not the programming syntax or stuff like tht per se.
New data and new concepts will mess with ur mind , it will b strange and require effort from d learner to understand but resistance to new and strange will also b on hand to dissuade u from ploughing on into new territory.
Result = a lotoff ppl who will always say x is hard. X=programming,maths,etc.
A lotta peeps sayg the devil you know is better thn d angel u dont know!
A lotta peeps sayg you know i was never good in maths
A lotta ppl sayg there was no teacher to teach me/i had no teacher...
A lotta ppl sayg its because i am a woman . Tht is a man's field.
Just excuses to justify fear and resistance and lethargy to new things.

ppl shud b taught how to handle and overcome their fears rather first bf learng programming .
Even an old grand ma/pa could b taught how to program but the fear. The fear and excuses. It cud literally kill them!
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by dtito(m): 3:04am On Aug 13, 2014
MizMyColi: smiley Thanks. I'll send you a PM (as per the e-books) as soon as I have access to a PC and Fast internet. Basic Knowledge, that's what I'm looking to garner too.
Hi cutie how are ya...hope u still gat me in mind bouh d e-book... kiss
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by sisqology(m): 3:55am On Aug 13, 2014
#FF
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by sisqology(m): 3:59am On Aug 13, 2014
spikesC:

the great Elguapo, longest of times.

@thread; see how everybody don full dey reply, because say na woman cheesy

even non regulars on this section.

You have mail!
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by mkvirus: 6:13pm On Aug 13, 2014
can i Change course from electrical and electronic engineering to computer science in polytecnic
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by holajeedayy: 1:29am On Aug 14, 2014
can some 1 tell me d lucrative use of embedded system in nigeria
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by ElekeNtioba: 1:33am On Aug 14, 2014
Stupid Question...its like asking are geniuses born or made?? We all know d answer.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Nobody: 1:39am On Aug 14, 2014
GodMode:

Yh same here, considering how fun programming can be it's a travesty so many of us were not exposed to it earlier as children. But again, that's a luxury of a problem to have, some of us in the third world were exposed to math, chess, literature, video games( good practice for coding or staring at a computer screen for hours later in life in my view)etc so it wasn't all bad
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by expert101(m): 2:10am On Aug 14, 2014
They are made!

Nigeria has just few programmers but india have plenty hardcore guys that can code anything want.

We are gradually coming up but with time.\\

cheers babe
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by mashnino(m): 2:34am On Aug 14, 2014
one word

www.codecademy.com

start from ther and get a hang of the concept of programming

and then from there...you can choose your calling
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by spikesC(m): 3:05am On Aug 14, 2014
holajeedayy: can some 1 tell me d lucrative use of embedded system in nigeria

Embedded system is every where.
Think of any device in the world.

It is the past, the present and the future.
It powers everything.
It is the root of all electronic systems
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Debonair01: 4:04am On Aug 14, 2014
As much as i am sure you want to hear that programmers are born (wld love to tell myself that too) but the answer to your question is not that simple

1. I think, programming, like most other ventures in life takes a combination of things (talent, determination, motivation, opportunity, interest..etc etc), and all in the right proportion too.

2. I can bet my old blackberry phone here on my desk (its been retired already), that if you are nigerian and live in nigeria and you are over 25yrs, and not yet a programmer, you most likely will never be a pro at it again.... at least not in this life ( grin )

3. By programming, i dnt mean just knowing how to design a website (or more accurately - edit one). Nigeria just have a few handful of natural programmer and/or opportuned ones for that matter (lack of natural, because we didn't start early enough, and lack of opportuned ones, because the environment isn't supportive enough)

By and large, I bet if any nigerian (you included) is given the opportunity and right environment (say, working at google or say, microsoft) before long we wld become gurus at it. It takes courage, especially considering the economic reality on ground to at over 25 years, begin to learn programming, especially in a vacuum and expect to be good at it. We can try, we can get familiar with the whole idea, we can even write one or two little programs, but might never become a pro at it.

I think we all need to start to work together to build the next generation, we need more natural programmers in the land, we need to begin to catch them young.

Finally, you need to ask yourself why you want to learn how to program, you answer shall form the basis of how much and far you can endure and go in it. Is it so u look/sound cool too, is it to make a living out of it or is it for some exam?

My advice to you and to anyone that wants to learn to program is.... start by having genuine interest in how stuff work. Play with ur windows OS (possibly crash it a couple of times), chk the scripts behind websites, play with ur mobile phone and the apps. Generally, know the possibilities that programming hold, see results that hv been gotten, take a look at the codes. If finally you dnt end up a programmer, at least u wld make a good software engineer (note that they are several other branches of sw engineering that has nothing to do with coding per say.)

Goodluck

PS: i am just an engineer who can code a little, but i just dont (except I'm doing it to pass some exam). I just dnt have the patience for it. I am more of a big picture person, i just dnt like going into the very nitti-gritty grin (give me planning,analysis, designing, even testing to some extent... but just give someone else the coding... tongue )

2 Likes

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by wiegraf: 4:53am On Aug 14, 2014
no, op, as you've deduced (and most people wouldn't notice this, credit to you, so likely you don't lack intelligence, at least emotionally) you are not naturally attuned to the tasks.

you say you're a people person? well, no. the natural programmers are obsessed logic. people aren't logical, so you tend to infuriate us to no end. for instance, I'd rather be nailed to a cross than take up a post as a marketer, a job that requires 'people' skills. even if I assumed you an introvert, you'd have no problem with marketing, no?

consider something in the humanities, teaching kids, marketing, psychology if you've got the brains etc etc. not something steeped in cold, hard logic like programming

that said of course anyone can learn to program (or just about anything else), you could even be good at it. but it won't be a natural match for you

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Nobody: 5:09am On Aug 14, 2014
MizMyColi,
a jorney of a thousand miles begin with a step,
the forces needed to keep you moving are curiosity and passion which i believe you have.

one thing though, dont rely 100% on articles written by other developers, even if written by a world class programmer, instead do you research and draw your concusions.

start with w3schools.com
goodluck
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by ibietela2(m): 5:19am On Aug 14, 2014
MizMyColi:

I'm not just an "(f)" to Him."Guys" in this case might include Ladies (there aren't as much in the world of programming tho').

Your remark is incitive and totally uncalled for. cool

Really? I would like to meet a fellow learner like me.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by Nobody: 7:02am On Aug 14, 2014
@ op Your perception of programming needs to change,every programming language is made of rules similar to English or any other language
a good programmer is someone who understands the semantics of any given language.My point here is,the difference between you and Larry page of Google is experience,with an understanding of the rules and syntax in any you can write anything!!!!!!!!!!! but practice teaches you newer tecniques of implementing these rules.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by hotwax: 7:36am On Aug 14, 2014
MizMyColi:
What is it about programmers that makes them thick

The statement above is one of sincere ignorance and envy grin

Are [Great] programmers born or made?

The recent public announcements made by the admin of this forum got me thinking out loud:

"If only I understand this their language, I would be in the know if this guy is trying to play on my intelligence or just being plain sincere"

"if only, if only, if only." sad

I come to this board more oft with the intent to contribute even a "good morning" and then I feel so out of place, yet I'm interested in programming....coding especially [I hope the two words do not mean the same] cheesy

I've only heard of HTML and CSS recently, A friend even volunteered to teach me and the only thing I could grasp from his lesson - which btw I'm not quite sure of now is "How to differentiate a CSS website from an HTML website"

Another friend sent me loads of e-books on programming and hacking for beginners and I just couldn't get past the first stage, yet I want to be like you guys embarassed cry

I guess the reason I loose interest is because I'm the relational kind (I love people). If I can't relate with what is being taught as it pertains to people/humans....then I'm likely to lose interest.

The epistle above is a call for help.
1). I want to be able to contribute meaningfully to this section (with time)

2). Are programmers born or made (can just about anyone become a programmer with the right tutoring)?

Teach me. Anyone please? smiley

CSS, HTML are not programming.

Programming are writing C-Lang, Java, Pthon, .NET.

And programmers are born and not made. Trust me

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by miketayo(m): 7:42am On Aug 14, 2014
their is nothing like CSS site, CSS is just to design the HTML tags to bring style to the site
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by bigdrey(m): 8:02am On Aug 14, 2014
I'm so happy to hear this from a (f), I'v met several (f) wanting to be a programmer and the first thing I tell them which I'm telling you now is "The first programmer is a female, and you too can be!!!". But d challenging thing is what it takes..I must confess it takes a lot. But I'll try to phrase them into 3 words! (1)Desperation (Far more than determination) (2)Dedication and (3)Critical Thinking. printf("Welcome to programming world\n"wink; echo "Remember"; System.out.println("Programmers a Thinkers!!!"wink; System.exit(0);

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:03am On Aug 14, 2014
GodMode:

You two are wrong... Programming involves critical thinking abilities and just some maths...

The problem with learning programming or any other thing is TIME.

In advance countries, most of them start learning how to code at a young age (mostly before age 15), at that age they are just learning for the fun of it, nothing else is on their mind.

In developing/underdeveloped countries, people most times don't have computers at a young age so they don't really about coding. The ones that have computers don't really know about coding. Mostly, they end up playing sports for fun or watching entertainment during their free time (In my opinion, 90% of Nigerian youths and students are guilty of this), cos they already see school as a means to be successful not learning something as technical as coding.

The important thing about coding is, knowing the syntax, in-built functions and some other things off hand, which is usually not an easy thing to learn without practice especially in the first year of learning to code.

That's why google (having internet access) is important.. Even pro coders use google... But what surprises me most times are people like Bucky and others that do video tutorials...
They explain as if they're the ones that created the language... I have this belief that they rehearse before they start but that would mean I'm jealous (typical judgemental Nigerian)... those guys are very good and they are below 30. If those freelancers are that good, I don't want to imagine the type of coders that work for google, yahoo, apple, activision, rockstar games, ubisoft e.t.c

I'll only give myself headache...

In summary,
thanx am 16 and i can code html,css and javascript to some extent....I am currently earning Javascript and Java.
Everyday i thank God i started early

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by jidez007: 9:05am On Aug 14, 2014
What kept me goin when I started learning programming were
Passion 40%
Money I might earn 60%
@ op u shuld see some older post in d web master's section whr Yawatide nd some other guys wuld brag aw much they will charge nd won't accept 4 creating a website. Then my uncle is my mentor, although he is a dotNet guy he still gives me credible advice when I av a problem in php nd programming generally.
My advice 4 u start with html then css nd javascript. I can help u get ebooks on any language u want, email me nd I will send u d download link.
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by saasala(m): 9:20am On Aug 14, 2014
dhtml: Maybe when you meet a great programmer, you should ask them all these questions. As for me, I aint got an answer to all these, thank you.

Please follow this link...I need you there: https://www.nairaland.com/1829919/dhtml-perhaps-other-developers-need
Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by tosinhtml: 9:35am On Aug 14, 2014

1 Like

Re: Are Programmers Born Or Made? by king100(m): 9:40am On Aug 14, 2014
Courtesy of the author of "Learn Python the Hard Way" -Zed A Shaw.This what he said:
If you've got experience programming then making something with a new language does work, but if you've had *no* experience then that won't work. The best way is to find a good beginner book, go through it page by page, and type *every single piece of code in and get it running*. That's really the only way to do it, and you have to do it consistently, at least 2 hours a day (take a break for one day though). My book, "Learn Python The Hard Way" does this, as well as "The Little Schemer", so grab one of those and just start typing.

If you want those books in pdf, send your email to me .My email is atansoro@gmail.com
Coding is really hard work. keep that in mind
best of luck!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

[Tutorial Post] How To Integrate Paystack Payment System With PHP / Creating An Open-source Java Web Service / Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.