Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,393 members, 7,808,380 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:13 AM

Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) (46839 Views)

OLX Cars: How To Detect Fraud / OLX Is The Most Useless Website / Are Prices On Olx Auto's For Real? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by dotuna3(m): 6:34pm On Jul 07, 2014
I have noticed dis for a while but kept quiet about dis site especially with the price range that is given to cars. Not too long as a friend just called me to inform me on how some guys wanted to scam him. Those guys telling him to pay into account,making some trickish arrangement e.tc.I ve dis to tell everyone pls do not fall a victim to such guys they re fraudsters for God sake check the below pictures nd see the price tag for these cars dis will convience you that is not real.hummer bus can't be sold for dis amount in nigeria when is not made of wood also see the below toyota. I ve many of these pictures but can't upload them all.

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by DWJOBScom(m): 6:42pm On Jul 07, 2014
You've forgotten the "cousin" lie which is seized custom cars for sale or a laptop for sale , simply pay for the way bill and pick up the laptop when it's delivered then of course pay the invisible driver
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 07, 2014
I think the site owners are into the scam there too cos I can't imagine Nairaland getting infested with such a vast amount of dubious advertisements! Olx=scam buyers beware!

Was surprised to see femmy2010 advertisements on olx!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by dotuna3(m): 6:48pm On Jul 07, 2014
DWJOBScom: You've forgotten the "cousin" lie which is seized custom cars for sale or a laptop for sale , simply pay for the way bill and pick up the laptop when it's delivered then of course pay the invisible driver
but y re nigerians doing dis. Hard for me to believe any tin online from a nigerian especially when it affect money.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by DeeOneBangin: 6:48pm On Jul 07, 2014
That site ehn!!! Na scammers full there, tot I was the only one that noticed!!! Nigerian Olx

1 Like

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by DWJOBScom(m): 7:02pm On Jul 07, 2014
dotuna3: but y re nigerians doing dis. Hard for me to believe any tin online from a nigerian especially when it affect money.
Online fraud is everywhere not just Nigeria and it's falls on greedy people who rushes to make quick gain from "too good to be true" goods. The moment u see something u like online - u look for a number and call - your conversation with the person, the body language etc will determine your going ahead or consult some friends.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by MuyiwaMike(m): 7:23pm On Jul 07, 2014
i so much abhor that olx site..it's so full of scammers..i almost fell victim at a time but thank God i didnt..peeps making deals on that platform should just be extra careful.
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by DAVE5(m): 8:40pm On Jul 07, 2014
1 simple advice to everyone is; don't pay for anything you haven't seen and held in your own hands so far it concerns 9ja, shine ur eyes and tink objectively

saw an advert for a corolla sports for 400, called the seller and he agreed 360k without flinching an eye, so i tot to myself, maybe i am d only one seeing that advert....

if its too good to be true den it probably aint true
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by dotuna3(m): 9:18pm On Jul 07, 2014
I think those scammers guys do go to dealers shops nd ve various snaps of cars and post it on olx. I noticed one pics for a car the plate number was photshoped.plate number bigger than the normal picture size grin.den I knw naija guys re at work. Dis can't be real

1 Like

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by Nobody: 12:48am On Jul 08, 2014
I run a classified ads website at [url]KULUSO.Com.NG[/url] and also an automotive social portal at [url]NaijaDrives.Com[/url] .

I delete all those ads and users when they register.

A lot of these foreign forums are quick to advertise the number of ads they have. What value is 450,000 ads when 445,000 are scams?

Quality ads over quantity.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by bloglover(m): 9:21am On Jul 08, 2014
I do most of my buying and selling transactions on Olx and I have never been scammed for once neither have I scammed anybody. U guys don't just know how to buy and sell, that's why u get scammed.

1. why not insist on seeing the seller one one one before making purchases, especially substantial purchases. If the seller is not around u, pls don't buy.

2. why not stop paying money in advance then waiting for the goods that may not come, not every body can be trusted.

3. why not properly scrutinize the product before paying for it. (get an engineer if necessary)

4. remember that nobody is forcing u to use Olx, so if u are scammed, its due to your carelessness and as such nobody's business.

please Olx has location demarcation so buy from someone close to your area and stop taking unnecessary risk.
If u don't see what u need close to your area on Olx, u have two options:
a. Go to the market and look for it
b. take d risk and don't complain if things go bad.

THANK YOU.

29 Likes

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by kolaaderin: 9:56am On Jul 08, 2014
This is very alarming and i really dont know what the site operator is doing about it. This site is a very useful tools in selling and buying goods and some slow pokes low life wanna destroy its credibility for genuine business users.

Just as described a 2010 tokunbo TOYOTA SEQUOIA going for N1.45m and what is great int that SIENNA selling for N650k angry angry angry angry u must be a slow poke retarding to have call in for such deals.

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by yungboss(m): 10:36am On Jul 08, 2014
The funny thing too about Olx Nigeria is a car being advertised multiple times, in multiple locations and at different ridiculous prices, same car! The whole adverts (90%) in that site are a sham. It's a shame how Nigerians have stooped so low...

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by Lexusgs430: 11:16am On Jul 08, 2014
Total responsibility lays @ olx's door. A report button should be included on all adverts to flag- up fraudulent adverts. Which they would and should investigate.
When eBay initially launched, fraudulent adverts were the order of the day, subsequently things got a lot better and safer.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by dotuna3(m): 1:30pm On Jul 08, 2014
yungboss: The funny thing too about Olx Nigeria is a car being advertised multiple times, in multiple locations and at different ridiculous prices, same car! The whole adverts (90%) in that site are a sham. It's a shame how Nigerians have stooped so low...
I thought am the only one that observed wat u just said now. ve seen a car advertised like 5 times from different seller and also different phone numbers attached.
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 08, 2014
dotuna3:
I thought am the only one that observed wat u just said now. ve seen a car advertised like 5 times from different seller and also different phone numbers attached.

Different names same fone number....
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by gambus007(m): 6:20pm On Jul 08, 2014
i dnt agree with poster,scammers r everywhere o.i don buy bad phone frm one nairalander.he was aware of d faulty phone and sold it out to me.i ave my ADVRT on olx.if buying anytin online b very care even on nairaland.check olx advise and read.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jul 08, 2014
Lexusgs430: Total responsibility lays @ olx's door. A report button should be included on all adverts to flag- up fraudulent adverts. Which they would and should investigate.
When eBay initially launched, fraudulent adverts were the order of the day, subsequently things got a lot better and safer.

I do not have a report button (but will consider it) but users should still be able to contact site owners to report suspected scummy ads.
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by Houseofglam7(f): 6:26pm On Jul 08, 2014
OLX has become really pathetic.
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by Baldmarv(m): 1:57pm On Jul 14, 2014
Olx is very very important and informative, you sell things real fast and can get good deals for items you would have spent good money on. They are doing a good job and i don't expect them to do any differently. That said the responsibility to carry out a safe transaction lies squarely with the buyer, if you see what you like and you call, arrange and meet the person at a safe place to examine the goods before thinking of withdrawing money from the bank...if you get scammed, then you didn't heed the warning that olx has given out and one last thing, if a price sounds too good to be true, run it is probably a scam...or restrict your buying to areas you know before scammers carry you go!!!

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by victorNRceo: 4:45pm On Jul 14, 2014
https://www.nairaland.com/1809667/19k-galaxy-s2-c-pix#24631423

bloglover: I do most of my buying and selling transactions on Olx and I have never been scammed for once neither have I scammed anybody. U guys don't just know how to buy and sell, that's why u get scammed.

1. why not insist on seeing the seller one one one before making purchases, especially substantial purchases. If the seller is not around u, pls don't buy.

2. why not stop paying money in advance then waiting for the goods that may not come, not every body can be trusted.

3. why not properly scrutinize the product before paying for it. (get an engineer if necessary)

4. remember that nobody is forcing u to use Olx, so if u are scammed, its due to your carelessness and as such nobody's business.

please Olx has location demarcation so buy from someone close to your area and stop taking unnecessary risk.

THANK YOU.

Guy, thank u.
Many people on nairaland tend to give an overwhelmingly negligent approach to issues.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by victorNRceo: 4:52pm On Jul 14, 2014
Baldmarv: Olx is very very important and informative, you sell things real fast and can get good deals for items you would have spent good money on.![/color][/b]

Oh ma gosh. This guy hit an untouched relevant spot.
Many NLers are fond of putting up humiliating bargains. CHaai DARIS GOD O.

https://www.nairaland.com/1809667/19k-galaxy-s2-c-pix#24631423
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by chillex8(m): 6:48pm On Jul 14, 2014
My car that was sold since last week on nairaland was up and running on olx..

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by cecegorz(m): 3:50pm On Jul 15, 2014
Sometimes I wonder if OLX was set up with looted funds, and allowed to be messed up by crooks
Or else, it was set up by fraudsters in order to scam more people.
I can't match the level of adverts they spend money on to the integrity of their site.

You see these ridiculous prices every day, and nobody cares to do anything about it? I only grade them with the purported Customs facebook account that lists car prices as if they are Innoson motorcycles.

Apart from Nairaland, the only other reasonable listings is on CarXus.com

1 Like

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by Baldmarv(m): 10:53am On Jul 16, 2014
cecegorz: Sometimes I wonder if OLX was set up with looted funds, and allowed to be messed up by crooks
Or else, it was set up by fraudsters in order to scam more people.
I can't match the level of adverts they spend money on to the integrity of their site.

You see these ridiculous prices every day, and nobody cares to do anything about it? I only grade them with the purported Customs facebook account that lists car prices as if they are Innoson motorcycles.

Apart from Nairaland, the only other reasonable listings is on CarXus.com

OLX is a free open platform any body can post anything they want; people post from pants to jewellery to phones to cars, how do you possibly think they will go looking for the price of things thousands of people post everyday? Or do you think OLX is a Nigerian site? They are all over even US olx dey. Use your head and stop complaining about a free service!

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by cecegorz(m): 1:40pm On Jul 16, 2014
Baldmarv:
OLX is a free open platform any body can post anything they want; people post from pants to jewellery to phones to cars, how do you possibly think they will go looking for the price of things thousands of people post everyday? Or do you think OLX is a Nigerian site? They are all over even US olx dey. Use your head and stop complaining about a free service!

For your mind now, your gibberish made sense abi?
They spend millions of bucks advertising in DSTV and online, yet they can't filter the adverts for credibility.
Is Nairaland not an open platform?
Ask yourself why you can't see such ridiculous prices here.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by coolsegun2002: 3:06pm On Jul 16, 2014
Pple post fraudulent transaction on Nairaland too..its just minutes cos nairaland aint free like olx...nd d the comment option on Nairaland makes it easy for anyone to drop comment nd these comments can help guide intending buyers....i still saw one weeks ago on nairaland...
https://www.nairaland.com/1801728/golf4-sell-lagos-island-west

1 Like

Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by chucky234(m): 4:55pm On Jul 16, 2014
chillex8: My car that was sold since last week on nairaland was up and running on olx..

LMAO
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by chillex8(m): 7:29pm On Jul 16, 2014
chucky234: LMAO

Chuks why u dey laugh..
Dis is a serious matter..
It was ad for 650k, location is portharcourt
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by chucky234(m): 8:21pm On Jul 16, 2014
chillex8:

Chuks why u dey laugh..
Dis is a serious matter..
It was ad for 650k, location is portharcourt

Na very serious matter, I can remember you advertised the Ford Focus on NL for 450k but the fraudster felt you were too generous to let it go at that price and decided to increase the price from 450k to 650k.
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by ubiquitousade(m): 12:43am On Jul 17, 2014
bloglover: I do most of my buying and selling transactions on Olx and I have never been scammed for once neither have I scammed anybody. U guys don't just know how to buy and sell, that's why u get scammed.
THANK YOU.
Re: Nigeria OLX Is Full Of Fraudsters Beware (pictures) by ubiquitousade(m): 12:57am On Jul 17, 2014
Lexusgs430: Total responsibility lays @ olx's door. A report button should be included on all adverts to flag- up fraudulent adverts. Which they would and should investigate.
i quite disagree: Total responsibility is on the buyer but olx has got to find a way to remove such fraudulent ads.

Baldmarv: Olx is very very important and informative, you sell things real fast and can get good deals for items you would have spent good money on. They are doing a good job and i don't expect them to do any differently. That said the responsibility to carry out a safe transaction lies squarely with the buyer, if you see what you like and you call, arrange and meet the person at a safe place to examine the goods before thinking of withdrawing money from the bank...if you get scammed, then you didn't heed the warning that olx has given out and one last thing, if a price sounds too good to be true, run it is probably a scam...or restrict your buying to areas you know before scammers carry you go!!!
you have said it all.
i have bought and sold cars on olx and i can say it is still the best for me.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Innoson Partners With Shell For The Supply Of Innoson Vehicles(photos) / Innoson Releases 4x4 IVM Carrier (Photos) / Two Drivers Refuse To Give Way For For Another In Abeokuta (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.