Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,963 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:31 AM

The Biology Behind Light Skin Complexion Born And Bred Africans. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Biology Behind Light Skin Complexion Born And Bred Africans. (22471 Views)

Dark Skin VS Light Skin / Life In Nigeria For A British Born And Raised Advice Please! / Nigerian Woman Are More Beautiful Then East Africans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Biology Behind Light Skin Complexion Born And Bred Africans. by redsun(m): 8:54pm On Oct 07, 2008
Honestly,what is really behind ibos and other african tribes light skin complexion?I for one and most members of my extended family are always taken for halfcast,or sometimes south africans.And as far as i am concern,i don't have any known white linage in my family and i am beginning to question why my family and others families across ibo land have light skin complexion.

Albinism is explained off as congenital absence of pigment in the skin,hair and eyes,but what explains normal light skin complexion in original africans,born and bred in the tropical sun?Is it near albinism or what?
Re: The Biology Behind Light Skin Complexion Born And Bred Africans. by KB1(m): 9:36pm On Oct 07, 2008
Yes, it's simply a mild form of albinism. This aint rocket science folks. It's just like any other type of ailment; some are born with serious cases of them in where its presence is very noticeable and some are born with variant minor forms to the point in were one may not really even take note that a person has it. The minor form of albinism has become so common over the millinia,  that most people don't even take note of it, and such folks are just known as light high-yellows and or red-bones,  which by the way is a term that once was stated as red-Igbo before being transformed into red-bone.

During the height of the presence of slavery in English colonial Caribbean and the US (North America),  it became a common thing for other tribal groups to mockingly refer to the commonly often lighter Igbo slaves as "Reds" for their often red complexion in which showed flush on their light skinned bodies after being in the sun all day. So whenever one was speaking of a fair skinned Igbo they would just say something like " Yeah, look at that Red-Igbo (bony) or bone" as it was stated depending on where it was being said. In the US they've always said red-bone, and in some Caribbean Islands they'D say red-"Ibo" and in some other islands they'D say red-"Bony". In time, as the populations began to mix,  this term began being addressed to all fair skinned black folks,  and lost its original mocking element.

2 Likes

Re: The Biology Behind Light Skin Complexion Born And Bred Africans. by redsun(m): 10:37pm On Oct 07, 2008
Let us assume it is near albinism,but why is it common among the ibos?I bet you wouldn't know because even the calabars that live in almost the same region with the ibos don't have it.
Re: The Biology Behind Light Skin Complexion Born And Bred Africans. by omoge(f): 11:34pm On Oct 07, 2008
same with me too. i'D like to know what's behind the complexion. most on my mothers side are so light skin and i'm wondering why cool

who knows there was some sexual relationship with the white man during the colonization?
Re: The Biology Behind Light Skin Complexion Born And Bred Africans. by OrumbaS89(f): 12:19am On Oct 08, 2008
I asked my mother about this and she said it's just a lot of Igbos natural tone. I've heard that our tone is a result of lack of Keratin.

Calabars do have light skin, but most of us know the reason why some of their people have light skin.
Re: The Biology Behind Light Skin Complexion Born And Bred Africans. by tpia: 3:35am On Oct 08, 2008
could be white ancestry, capoid genes, or albinism.
Re: The Biology Behind Light Skin Complexion Born And Bred Africans. by plappville(f): 11:23am On Oct 14, 2008
for halfcast,or sometimes south africans
THE HAIR IS TIPICAL AFRICAN? if u tell me of the complexioni go hear u, no Igbo has curling hairs as real halfcast. try and asked ur forefathers if they didn't do corner making in those day with some of these white men that came to colonise naija (lol).
Re: The Biology Behind Light Skin Complexion Born And Bred Africans. by pleep(m): 7:33pm On Apr 28, 2011
Wow, is it to much for people to accept that some africans have light skin?

While partial albanism could the cause ( the incidence albanism is very high among igbos) that doesn't explain why the light skined people in S.E nigeria have facial features that match up with their light skin. As apposed to the albinios and partial albinos in say Tanzania who look extreamly odd because there skin doesn't match up with their facial features.

nigerian igbos-http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41337000/jpg/_41337068_04bride.jpg

tanzanian albino-http://oh--everything..com/2010/11/tanzanians-to-name-albino-killers.html
Africans have alot of genetic variation, the light skin genes were able to survive in S.E that area because of how heavily forested it is.
also if all the light skin people in S.E nigeria were partial albinos they would have many physical problems like weaknes, bad eyesight, twitching.
Re: The Biology Behind Light Skin Complexion Born And Bred Africans. by oreindia: 5:07pm On May 09, 2013
I cannot believe that people on here think its due to an albino heritage, I trust there are people with an education on here right? so you know about british colonialism and how they mixed with a lot of nigerians right? causing a light skinned complexion down the line, However yes of course africans can be born light skinned. Just like Caribbean's who have light skin. the reason they are light skinned is because they have white and indian genes back into their ancestry, hence the indian hair texture. freckles are also a dead give away to someone who has white ancestry. I actually thought this stuff was common knowledge as it was educated igbos who told me this themselves. and by the was its not half caste its mixed race. by saying half caste you are suggesting that half of them does not exist, a term widely abhorred by most mixed race people of any racial mix. its a term used by racist whites who do not want to acknowledge the fact that black could exist within someone who is of mixed race heritage. i'm sure you wouldn't want to lower your self to that degree.
Re: The Biology Behind Light Skin Complexion Born And Bred Africans. by Osunmaria: 10:26pm On May 09, 2021
oreindia:
I cannot believe that people on here think its due to an albino heritage, I trust there are people with an education on here right? so you know about british colonialism and how they mixed with a lot of nigerians right? causing a light skinned complexion down the line, However yes of course africans can be born light skinned. Just like Caribbean's who have light skin. the reason they are light skinned is because they have white and indian genes back into their ancestry, hence the indian hair texture. freckles are also a dead give away to someone who has white ancestry. I actually thought this stuff was common knowledge as it was educated igbos who told me this themselves. and by the was its not half caste its mixed race. by saying half caste you are suggesting that half of them does not exist, a term widely abhorred by most mixed race people of any racial mix. its a term used by racist whites who do not want to acknowledge the fact that black could exist within someone who is of mixed race heritage. i'm sure you wouldn't want to lower your self to that degree.

This is not true. There have been studies done of Fulani (another tribe that tends to have lighter skin and features that match) and they don’t have any mixed heritage in their DNA. Africans have so much genetic diversity, they don’t need white blood to have lightskin

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife: "Why I Don't Dance In Public Anyhow" / Oba Jimoh Oyewumi Ajagungbade: Soun Of Ogbomoso Dies At 95 / Ibadan 32 Kings: Olubadan-in-council Disagrees With Olubadan, Backs Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.