Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,562 members, 7,809,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:58 PM

Temperature Rising Steadily Above 2/3 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Temperature Rising Steadily Above 2/3 (893 Views)

South Africa Nervous Over Nigeria's Rising Auto Industry / Engine Gets So Hot Yet Temperature Meter Reads Normal: Rav4 / Normal Oil Temperature In A Car Engine And Water Temperature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Temperature Rising Steadily Above 2/3 by BluStreak(m): 9:48pm On Jul 07, 2014
Please guys, my 07 Accord V6 just started acting funny for no just cause. I first noticed this Monday last week on the Ikorodu road traffic. But as at today, the temperature dial has risen way past the 2/3 mark. I have observed the fans and the 2 are working well and blowing at high speed meaning they are working ok. When I am stationary, the temperature rises steadily to 2/3 and the longer I stay stationary, the higher it climbs. The moment I move and increase speed, the temperature drops.

My 1st suspicion is the Water Pump since the car's fans are electrically powered and not by the crank shaft. There is no leakage on the radiator. The water level drops slightly at the end of the day.

Pls my people what could be the problem? Can a scan detect a water pump failure? Heeeeeeeelllllllp.
Re: Temperature Rising Steadily Above 2/3 by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jul 07, 2014
Check your thermostat for malfunction, and the radiator if clogged.
Re: Temperature Rising Steadily Above 2/3 by lonelydora: 10:44pm On Jul 07, 2014
Does the water level in the plastic reservoir increase as the radiator level decreases? If yes, check the radiator cover(cap) for damaged seal. Scan the car to check if Thermostat Malfunction code will come up.
Re: Temperature Rising Steadily Above 2/3 by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jul 07, 2014
lonelydora: Does the water level in the plastic reservoir increase as the radiator level decreases? If yes, check the radiator cover(cap) for damaged seal. Scan the car to check if Thermostat Malfunction code will come up.
"Thermostat Malfunction code"? That's new on me. Could you give an example of such a code?
Re: Temperature Rising Steadily Above 2/3 by BluStreak(m): 11:12pm On Jul 07, 2014
I just checked the water level this evening and like I suspected, it dropped. I then re-filled the expansion tank and also the radiator. To confirm if the water pump is still working, I pulled out the return hose from the radiator to the expansion tank when the engine has warmed up and water was coming out from it. Does that confirm the water pump is working?

I want to be sure of what the problem is or at least narrow down to a near cause before I go to the mechanic.
Re: Temperature Rising Steadily Above 2/3 by 9icetoo(m): 12:11pm On Jul 08, 2014
before you go to the mechanic OP, please go to a car wash and give your radiator and condenser a good wash. We are in the rainy season and mud and debris that accumulate on the cooling fins of the radiators reduce their efficiency which leads to over heating. If after this, your car still overheats, then you may visit a mechanic. It would be nice if you can post a pix of your temp gauge when this overheat happens so we can know if you call overheat is actually an overheat. Also do not overfill your coolant reservoir. That may also lead to an overheat. There is a full mark on the reservoir, try and keep the water just a bit below that mark.
Re: Temperature Rising Steadily Above 2/3 by halimautoworks: 12:19pm On Jul 08, 2014
Please give a full description of your car in term of whether it is a sedan, automatic or manual se or lx
Re: Temperature Rising Steadily Above 2/3 by halimautoworks: 12:30pm On Jul 08, 2014
Go to owners.honda.com, click on owner's manual and warranty and follow the link to download your vehicle owner's manual. It contains valuable information such as the levels your coolant, water, other fluids should be as well as maintenance tips to keep your car in top condition.
Re: Temperature Rising Steadily Above 2/3 by lonelydora: 11:11pm On Jul 08, 2014
Costee:
"Thermostat Malfunction code"? That's new on me. Could you give an example of such a code?

Scan and see if any of these codes comes on..

P0116 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Low Input
P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High Input
P0125 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Slow Response
Re: Temperature Rising Steadily Above 2/3 by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jul 08, 2014
lonelydora:

Scan and see if any of these codes comes on..

P0116 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Problem
P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Low Input
P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High Input
P0125 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Slow Response
The CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) is not to be confused with the thermostat. The one is electrical and the other mechanical. A bad thermostat cannot therefore have an error code.

(1) (Reply)

Honda Accord 2007 Help needed / Tips And Tricks To Traveling Safely… / Help Camry 05 Jerking And Going Off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.