Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,768 members, 7,802,350 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:56 PM

Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? (24185 Views)

North, South, East Or West, Which Region Holds Real Hip Hop Down In Naija? / P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award / Real Hip Hop's Top 10 Emcees Of All Time ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by bigx(m): 9:26am On Jul 08, 2014
Is hip-hop/rap Nigerian culture?

2 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by WIZGUY69(m): 9:26am On Jul 08, 2014
IThe simple reason is just that we Africans, we hate Good things.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by hazyfm: 9:26am On Jul 08, 2014
haba
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:27am On Jul 08, 2014
NickiRoman: ...Lil Wayne can't do without this words P*ssy and h*es undecided ..
go listen to d'usse.... his latest song
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Elnino4ladies: 9:28am On Jul 08, 2014
D like of jesse jagz,mayb MI,loose kaynon,modenine ,vector ar still reppin hip hop..olamide,phyno,ice prince ar glorified rappers...

2 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by 3DCYCLOPS: 9:31am On Jul 08, 2014
KiddaBlingzz: someday it will. I hope Boogey paves the way

Yeah!! #teamilovebooqey...
I doubt his accent would allow this thouqh angry
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by kechywillz(m): 9:32am On Jul 08, 2014
the world has gone commercial,nobody's got time to decipher rap lines that'll put u in confusion
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Rebuke: 9:32am On Jul 08, 2014
I finally joined nairaland....nw back to ur question, no idea. Op, I tink you need
to celebrate me. Making my first comment on ur thread. Now a nairalander!

3 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by NickiRoman: 9:33am On Jul 08, 2014
Real hip-hop is long gone in Nigeria..So it doesn't matter,every Artiste is going with the trend of producing Club songs.. It still won't stop me from listening to Real Hip-Hop Artiste like Tu'pac,Nas,Papoose,Jay-Z,Biggy,Mc Lyte,Lauryn Hill,Twalib kwali,Snoop Dog,Eminem,Common,Mos Deff,Andre 3000,LL Cool J,Dr Dre,e.t.c

*Plays Nas-It ain't hard to tell*

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by hakeem4(m): 9:33am On Jul 08, 2014
mumumugu: What is the difference between rapping and talking fast
RAP is rhythmical applied poetry

6 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 08, 2014
Djicemob: yea am saying guys like 3'6 mafia invented the flow and i dont really think drake,jcole shocked,or even meek has that typa migos flow ooo.I may be wrong sha.Maybe but i dont think so.
If Drake didn't copy, what flow did he use in versace's rmx ,the language, We made it ......I laff you

Kanye --- Sanctified
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by ElFenomeno1: 9:34am On Jul 08, 2014
Smartsyn: Real rap is no sellable in Nigeria..

Not sellable you mean?! undecided
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by ElFenomeno1: 9:35am On Jul 08, 2014
acenazt: Even in the US. Who listens to Nas,Mos Def,KRS ONE,Talib Kweli,Rass Kass,2Pac,Immortal Technique any more?? Every body's busy listening to Useless music by the likes of 2Chainz,Future,Migos,Asop Ferg,Rich Homie quan. Its the generation. Times change and so does taste and interests.

You are a liar. People still do. Don't get it twisted. Real recognise real.

Commercial crap is forced down people's throats via the mainstream media but people still recognise.

5 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by boss1310(m): 9:37am On Jul 08, 2014
funny how the op mentioned drake,lamar and j.cole.definitely he don't know what real rap or in better terms hardcore rap means.listen to nas,mobb deep,q tip those are real ral and they don't sell.the drake's are commercial rappers so they are in the same categorie like ice prince may be in a higher level than him.i ve heard terry tha rapman lyrics,sakordie of ghana,mode nine.these guys can murder any mc with their verses.they are that good

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Djicemob: 9:39am On Jul 08, 2014
ElFenomeno1:

You are a liar. People still do. Don't get it twisted. Real recognise real.

Commercial crap is forced down people's throats via the mainstream media but people still recognise.
U r on point boss.

2 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 9:41am On Jul 08, 2014
acenazt: Even in the US. Who listens to Nas,Mos Def,KRS ONE,Talib Kweli,Rass Kass,2Pac,Immortal Technique any more?? Every body's busy listening to Useless music by the likes of 2Chainz,Future,Migos,Asop Ferg,Rich Homie quan. Its the generation. Times change and so does taste and interests.

Did you call Two Chainz and Future USELESS?! angry

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! angry

Niggas are gonna hate as Long as Players Keep Playing.. SO Do your thing My Nigga, 2 Chainz and I are gonna keep doing our thing. grin

2 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by towsyne: 9:45am On Jul 08, 2014
Jregz: It's round d world.... Checkout lil'wayne's Album from way back,he was cool,all of a sudden,he entered p*ssy this,p*ssy that....he's made his money now,only for his carter V album to sound like real hip-hop (Atleast he didn't say the "P" in d'usse grin ).......

Well,i wouldn't download a song from nas,Wu-tang no more.....I only fvcks with 21st Century Rap grin grin

guy i thought i was d only 1 dat notice d sudden change in lilwayne carter v singles expecially dat KRACY track his naw doin it d way he did it back den in 2006

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by anago18(m): 9:47am On Jul 08, 2014
Afam4eva: Maybe you mean American rap not real rap. This is Nigeria and the only thing that can take pre eminence is Nigerian rap. Thumbs up to Phyno, Illbliss, Olamide et al.

this is above you brother, rap is about written, punchlines and metaphor. those niggi in naij are just clowning around, go soak yourself in a cannibus and rakim album and you will wanna shoot those Nigerian clowns dead.

6 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by skyjfk(m): 9:48am On Jul 08, 2014
Djicemob: Ever wondered why rap artistes like Modenine,kahli Abdu,poe,loose kaynon,pherowhuz etc are not been taking seriously in the industry(atleast by the majority of music listeners) today? Meanwhile rap/afro-pop acts like Ice-prince,olamide,phyno are seen as the face of rap music in nigeria today? Yea,your guess is as good as mine,real rap is slowly getting extinct in nigeria.But hey! It would be quite unfair to blame the artistes that adapted to change and placed music hustle first,which in-turn puts food on their table.Of course who wouldnt want to drive the latest cars and build the biggest mansion? I would.

Coming out as a rap/hiphop artiste in nigeria today,there are two things involved.Do you want to be a real rap artiste or a commercial rap artiste? If you want to be a real rap artiste,fine! But get ready to be taken seriously only by rap heads and your hommies.If u want to be a commercial rap artiste,the better,considering the fame and the financial gains.Doesnt sound fair right? I know.There are couple of reasons for the inbalance which i would explain to you.In business(in general) the consumer comes first right? Now,same applies to the nigerian music business,the music lovers and listeners also comes first.They(consumer) pratically holds the key to the artistes success...and ofcourse God.

Having said all these,it is important to analyse the music consumer,yea? I would save you the trouble.The average music listeners in nigeria today has grown to be quite lazy(no offense).Nobody wants to spend the whole day deciphering your punchlines,metaphors and similes when there are different problems facing the nigerian man/woman.A banging beat,catchy hook and lacklustre verses talking about how you are 'ballin',boasting about being the street king and most importantly addressing the feminine backside(a*s) while asking her to "shake it" would do the trick of getting you that commercial success,whereas,leaving the real hard workers on the sidelines with their so called "real hiphop" which is quality goods for the consumer.I am quite sadden when i see these real rap artistes spits their lives out in their songs and dont get the props,support and recognition they truly deserve,hence,my reason for writing this article.

The thought of Ice-prince(no beef intended) representing nigeria at the BET(which houses stars like Drake,kendrick lamar,Jcole etc) as the best rap artistes is quite laughable for a big country like nigeria which also houses quality artistes like modenine,khali Abdu,poe,boogey,jesse jagz etc who would give their american counterparts a run for their money(atleast to some extent).This,to me is quite deplorable.

Conclusively, I doff my hat to these real hiphop artistes who never gave in to the commercial stereotype-craze in the industry today.To me,it all boils down to LOVE and PASSION for the art(which is the real essence of listening and making music) and not the money.Thanks to these "real artistes" for keeping rapheads like me glued to nigerian music.
DJ ICE-MOB
#Now playing:Desire by jesse jagz
#jagznationalist

I woke up one morning and I listened to ice prince's song and felt sorry that I deleted all his songs on my phone apart from TRUTH wch to be truthful, has been his best..rap song till date tho.....I still love him alot but I think he needs to get bck to making good rap music too.
Jagz is always gonna be my best rapper tho always all the time.....#np burning bush

3 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 9:49am On Jul 08, 2014
OP..

Although I know that Music is a subjective Topic, I must say this;

Jesse Jags fell off after his first Album; Jagz of all tradez.

I cant stand his most recent Works. They irritate the shiit outta me.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:50am On Jul 08, 2014
According to Nas - Hip Hop is dead. The trend started in America..but real Gee's knows what Real stuffs are.... Notwithstanding - G-Funk gonna resurrect and take the music industry by storm fellows smiley....

As per the Naija level... It's hard to come across a real Hip Hop artists with a philosophical twist to keep the flame burning a long time.... It takes real character not to join the bandwagon of thrash the mainstream media put out there...

I used to out my hat for the likes of Phyno, Olamido, Vector as hope for the industry.... But Dem come dey Error recently by snitching on the new kid on the block while dining with mofos without substance...

Albeit, hope abound sha.... MI still got some d.ope innit....
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by 36STATES: 9:51am On Jul 08, 2014
I am looking for someone with good knowledge of web building, especially JOOMLA based sites to complete my website. Contact me on kevenreal@yahoo.com for terms.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by YomaA(m): 9:52am On Jul 08, 2014
Last nigth after wasting my precious 3.5mb on downloading 1 stupid baseless song that featured davido(in my opinion is an average artist) and olamide(he fall my hand) titled shoki...who ever was the producer shud ve adviced them abt that remix.
thank God for artist like vector,jesse jagz,m.i,young 6ix,phyno,phenom,eva in this industry
as for rnb wizkid timi dakolo,joel,davido,waje..if not I for don loose hope for naija music.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by anago18(m): 9:52am On Jul 08, 2014
where my real hiphop heads here at coogar,9jacrips, shymexx, mikuz, ibime and etc and etc's.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 9:52am On Jul 08, 2014
neutralwaya: According to Nas - Hip Hop is dead. The trend started in America..but real Gee's knows what Real stuffs are.... Notwithstanding - G-Funk gonna resurrect and take the music industry by storm fellows....

As per the Naija level... It's hard to come across a real Hip Hop artists with a philosophical twist to keep the flame burning a long time.... It takes real character not to join the bandwagon of thrash the mainstream media put out there...

I used to out my hat for the likes of Phyno, Olamido, Vector as hope for the industry.... But Dem come dey Error recently by snitching on the new kid on the block while dining with mofos without substance...

Albeit, hope abound sha.... MI still got some dope innit....

M.I?!

The last good thing to come out of M.I was his second Mix tape.. That Nigga don fell off as well. angry

2 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by toprealman: 9:54am On Jul 08, 2014
Evolution tinz.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by anago18(m): 9:55am On Jul 08, 2014
hiphop heads naija hiphop god just drop a new joint.... upside down modenine ft nnena.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by iceberylin(m): 9:55am On Jul 08, 2014
u kept on mentioning Loose.... dude is good with rap but lets face the real niqqiz who made Nigeria Hip Hop...

Da Grin....(Rip)
Mi Abaga..(chairman album coming soon)
mode9 (Nobody compares)
Eldee d Don
rugged man
Jesse jaga. (murder them remains my best)
Edris

this are the real kings

other rappers like
olamide
iceprince
phyno

are just making Noise and bragging

2 Likes

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Akbee(m): 9:55am On Jul 08, 2014
who cares?
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Dantedasz(m): 9:56am On Jul 08, 2014
Commercial rap is what the buying public want right now and that is what the smart record companies are giving them.
Get a hot,banging beat and mouth some meaningless catchy phrase as a chorus and put some half dressed girls shaking their rumps in your video and voilĂ -you are a rap artist.

Even Big L was slept on in the US before his sad end. Same with Rakim Allah.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by daryoor(m): 9:57am On Jul 08, 2014
well said but the problem i have with what u wrote is that: its not a recent development. and. its not a nigerian thing.

time frame: from the early 2000s when. our present industry was in its cradle some artists chose to be far from commecial mainstream hiphop , mode9 and the whole swat root fell on this category, 90% which marks out the rest have always been commercial mainstream hip-hop. dont get twisted jessy jags and most of those guy u called are commercial they just werent as successful as the el dees and ice princes.

it not just. nigeria for every 50 cent there's a canibos, for every lil wayne theres a rakim for every two chainz there a common

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

CBS Warns Grammy Attendees To Cover Up Private Parts / 5 Top Gospel Songs That Should Top Your Playlist This Yuletide / Ope Mi By Pita Lyrics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.