Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,024 members, 7,807,012 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:35 AM

Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? - Music/Radio (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? (24193 Views)

North, South, East Or West, Which Region Holds Real Hip Hop Down In Naija? / P Square Controversial Comment On Hip Hip World Award / Real Hip Hop's Top 10 Emcees Of All Time ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 08, 2014
anago18:

damn this brother is deep, it will take all this naija clowns more than 10 lifetimes plus 50 reincarnation to get to this level.

I agree with the first part. He needs to change the accent back to the Nigerian accent, and talk about things that're Nigerian, with Nigerian slangs and twangs - originality. Early UK rappers used to get the same criticism, but that has changed now because the accent is quintessentially British and everything else is British.

As for the second part: yes, rap/hip-hop has been in the UK since like forever, perhaps the 80s when it started in America. However, it has never really been that mainstream, especially the quintessential UK rap. Yes, we had Roots Manuva, Ty, Blak Twang, Big Brovaz et al - and SAS Eurogang kind of put it on the map, with that hot 97 freestyle of 2001, that made the tri-state of NY/Jersey/Connecticut stand still. And subsequently got signed to Dipset. However, that wasn't really UK rap because of their yank-esque accent and everything else being American.

However, when Giggs dropped "Talking the hardest" - grime was still alive and well. It was just watered-down a bit, slowing the tempo down for mainstream. Talking the hardest changed the whole scene and created today's UK rap, where everything is basically British. The success of "Talking the hardest" made all of them leave grime for rap. Heck, grime artists were still doing "lord of the mics" when Giggs came through like a hurricane and swept everyone away. I was in uni in Brum back then, and little white kids were playing "talking the hardest" - and it wasn't even on TV. Do you even know how many brummie mandem fvcked with me back then because I'm from Peckham, and how they used as ask me bare questions about Giggs, Buck otb, and Fem Fel? Even Krept and Konan have also alluded to Giggs fathering their style. They both used to do grime.

Also, South London has never been into grime that much, we've always been more into rap - apart from So Solid Crew doing garage. Even PDC and Roadside Gs never did grime - they rapped. But they all never changed anything. They were just hood rappers doing their little underground thing. Giggs changed the whole UK scene from grime to rap - and he'll forever be the godfather of real British rap. Peckham stand up!!! grin
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by YomaA(m): 2:43pm On Jul 08, 2014
daryoor:

banky is the god of rnb in your industry

tiwa is the rnb godess also

olamide -yoruba rap domino

phyno- igbo rap

hausa rap - guess ill have to train mg suya man abdullahi or wait for bokp haram amnesty.

the truth of the matter is that davido is the ambassador of your industry at this moment, he represents everything that makes contemporary naija hiphop appreciated acroos africa. quality dancable beat and the ability to flow with the beat and a very catchy simple chorus. *see gobe come and see gobe.... skelewu skelewi....*

my point: give respect to whom its due.

well read again I listed davido amongst the few gud artist in 9ja,so I did give him respect...abut lets be honest those artist like fela tuface seal all that made it worldwide didnt do it by singing senseless words l8ke skelewu zanga ginga ur swagga....sadly na all these empty baseless music dey reign.
1 of the reasons I rate patoranking high,unique style,lyrically gud,dance tracks.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MEILYN(m): 2:44pm On Jul 08, 2014
Please help a nairalander win a competition. Please Go to the link below and see how to help out. Thank U

https://www.nairaland.com/1804120/please-nairalander-win-competition-nasco#24538706
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by MadCow1: 2:45pm On Jul 08, 2014
njokusboy: . Simple as ABC, problem is, most of this gangstar rap lovers just wanna shove it down a nigga throat... And when I tell em that in my leisure, when am on my 3rd bottle of stout, I enjoy me some kukere or I listen to phyno's "parcel" when am thinking of dat money in the envelope.. They tell me I don't know music.... Truth is, I listen to Nas, 2pac, rakim, bone thugs etc, I also read a lot of books, I must confess, this dudes make a lotta sense but I have never heard one thing that WOWED me..... And anybody who said you needed to be intelligent to crack what nas says is a joker... My homeboy is obsessed with Nas, he listens to gangster music more than I do, but is he smarter than me? I don't think so.... Any average fellow who is interested can understand what those niccurs say, its not quantum physics... So fvck the INTELLIGENT, LYRICAL BULLSH1T....

Lol..

You are about to get these Hardcore Gangster Rap real Niggas pissed off at you..

In the Words of my homeboy NAS - Got yourself a Gun.. grin
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jul 08, 2014
Anacksunamun: Why do people resort to calling people with contrasting views, harsh names? Did Njokusboy insult you directly? Why the insult? Your type amaze me sometimes.
. Lolzz, u dey mind am.... Obsessed pple are scared of contrasting opinions.... I don't bother with his likes....
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Bawsse(m): 3:21pm On Jul 08, 2014
[b]Awesome writeup @op.

Well here's my opinion: As a hip-hop fan of more than a decade (since 2002, I know I am a little late in the rap world, but in Nigeria, I am a rap/hiphop head veteran, seeing that the average Nigerian mainstream started developing interest in rap music in 2008/2009 pioneered by M.I and his debut album "talk about it"wink I for one is someone who is always on the search for great hiphop music and albums and I am ever ready to pay for its worth, while real hip hop singles are hardly seen amidst all the ass dropping and twerking to meaningless lyrics, real rap albums are like jara, everyone wants it but only few actually appreciates it.

Thanks to Jesse jags' "royal Niger company" which resuscitated me after drowning in the sea of whackness for so long. I am not saying phynos' NGNG wasn't a decent effort at producing a cool rap album but the inclusion of anything pop defies the very essence/component of what real hip hop is. In an interview, ice prince said: "so called hip hop heads are complaining that there are not many rap songs on my album". and he continued "people, its called "everybody loves ice prince" not "hiphop heads love ice prince" or "rapheads love ice prince" and am like: this Nigga doesn't know what being called a rapper is all about.

I also believe the north has more hip hop talent, listeners and patrons than any other part of the country (BDW i am igbo and not being biased, just talking out of experience) come into the jungle and you see a ratchet and razz-looking nigga, high on weed, spitting freestyles like he was from compton. Note: tight flows nor de show for face ooo. Their only problems are, only few have the foresight and zeal to take their game to the next level and for the patrons, they prefer not to listen to the latest kind of hiphop, rather they enjoy classics from the pioneers, some might not see this as a problem though.

I recently started to allocate little listening space to commercial artistes but God knows i can never derive that "feel-good" vibe from that kind of music, how ironic.[/b]
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by myspnigeria: 3:22pm On Jul 08, 2014
its not facing out.....its dead already...its not our thing in 9ja
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Bawsse(m): 3:41pm On Jul 08, 2014
njokusboy: . Simple as ABC, problem is, most of this gangstar rap lovers just wanna shove it down a nigga throat... And when I tell em that in my leisure, when am on my 3rd bottle of stout, I enjoy me some kukere or I listen to phyno's "parcel" when am thinking of dat money in the envelope.. They tell me I don't know music.... Truth is, I listen to Nas, 2pac, rakim, bone thugs etc, I also read a lot of books, I must confess, this dudes make a lotta sense but I have never heard one thing that WOWED me..... And anybody who said you needed to be intelligent to crack what nas says is a joker... My homeboy is obsessed with Nas, he listens to gangster music more than I do, but is he smarter than me? I don't think so.... Any average fellow who is interested can understand what those niccurs say, its not quantum physics... So fvck the INTELLIGENT, LYRICAL BULLSH1T....

Njokusboy please try writing a deep/poetic rap that reflects your society 's present situation........ Only then will you appreciate these rap gods.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by DahtDopeBoi(m): 3:50pm On Jul 08, 2014
Bawsse:

Njokusboy please try writing a deep/poetic rap that reflects your society 's present situation........ Only then will you appreciate these rap gods.
Mehn! Bro u just gave the the best answer to his funny post

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by cheguevera: 4:01pm On Jul 08, 2014
LISTENING to 2PAC" HEARTS OF MEN"
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:25pm On Jul 08, 2014
What ever u people want to say na ur own.

Whether RAP don die or dey asleep.
In as much as I like Olamide, Phyno etc.

I make sure where I am is as quiet as grave yard when listening to my Erigga songs, not these recent ones, that his Erigma album and singles before the album like Wild wild west, Road to erigma.
Then Erigga used to drop proverbs and adages using pidgin that makes u like wow, this guy na old man in young body. I like the way he tells u what is attainable in the street, nt random BS about hw u dey ride buggati dey wear versace dey go Yankee come bk.

Give me street rhymes, metaphors and punchlines anyday.

Maximum reps to Phenom too, that guy murders tough bars like is no big deal. Phenom is great he gives real metaphors in a complex yet simple way that will keep u replaying his lines.

Erigga, Phenom, all others fit make noise go heaven I no send.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 08, 2014
Bawsse:

. Lol, I aint a rapper.... Nd I appreciate those deep/poetic rappers, same way I appreciate other rappers... However, people want different things from rap/music... So referring to one subgenre of rap as the real one just becos its the one you prefer is not right... REAL is relative here.... Nas is deep, truth is, he cannot be commercial even if he wants to... Commercial is what people want, then by all means, give em commercial... Don't criticise commercial because you can't do it.... Or u don't appreciate it..... Na everybody mama soup sweet pass.... #NUFF said....
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by imustsaymymindo: 4:50pm On Jul 08, 2014
What is ur definition of commercial rap songs or music generally? Most Nigerians get this wrong. Becos a song has a fast-tempo or have this swit naija type beat in it,it becomes a commercial song. No,its not. Why would u rap if its nt 4 d ppl? Dose punchlines,figures of speech used in rap songs today are overused and non-creative,so i wont border listening to a rapper dat does dose stufs. Evry music has his own market,if ur song is gud,it wud sel,be it real rap or nt. Dose guys u cald,mode 9 nd co re nt sellin cos dey re nt doin d best. D ones u say re commercial re consistent nd doin gud music,dats y dey re selin..u wont tel me d lykes of asha nd lagbaja dont have fanbase or money jes because dey re nt commercial lyk it seems 2 u. Fank u!
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jul 08, 2014
Lil wayne maybe using the P***y word frequently buh after Big L, there's none as good as Weezy on Punchlines.. Sometimes I wonder how he makes Whispers(Words) turn to Punches..
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by imustsaymymindo: 5:16pm On Jul 08, 2014
Excluding jagz,modo,boogie nd d rest is unfair too. In the sense that, u said these commercial rappers onli tlk bout ass,braggin nd d remainin fins u listed. Ive heard 2 of jagz albums, he onli tlks about dis fins too jes wif a slow-tempo track. Same goes to the others u mentioned. The topic here is jes one of the excuses unccessful rappers in naija give
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by nervegasfarts: 5:31pm On Jul 08, 2014
Hip-hop is officially dead. - Hakeem Seriki aka Chamillionaire
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by gsalvatore: 5:39pm On Jul 08, 2014
Nihilist:

Smoking Aces 2
Your head dey there.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by watchindelta(m): 5:40pm On Jul 08, 2014
as for me i stil hold on to my afro legend baba 70 fela, dmx,nas,killa prince,bone thugz, 2pac,freeway. E.t.c
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Bawsse(m): 6:01pm On Jul 08, 2014
njokusboy: . Lol, I aint a rapper.... Nd I appreciate those deep/poetic rappers, same way I appreciate other rappers... However, people want different things from rap/music... So referring to one subgenre of rap as the real one just becos its the one you prefer is not right... REAL is relative here.... Nas is deep, truth is, he cannot be commercial even if he wants to... Commercial is what people want, then by all means, give em commercial... Don't criticise commercial because you can't do it.... Or u don't appreciate it..... Na everybody mama soup sweet pass.... #NUFF said....

Commercial is NOT a sub-genre of hip hop. the only sub-genre recognized are: hardcore hip hop, gangstar rap (sometimes fused together) etc. "REAL" isn't relative in this subject, as matter of fact it is constant and recognized by all who understands it. hip hop was created by the black americans to be able to speak out about the oppression from the whites, to talk and educate each other about their society and be to able to distinguish themselves and their culture. so why then would fast-talking about nnyash and cars on fast tempo beats be considered "The Real Hip hop"? it could though, but only by people who do not understand its origin.
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by meccuno: 6:02pm On Jul 08, 2014
i think i still respect mode 9......but he has to re invent himself...thats what rappers like EMINEM who probably might be the greatest rapper alive now did....his flows are out of this world.....in Nigeria today,people are accustomed to dancable music....so u have to adapt to that while u still maintain ur identity.......Nigerians need some one who could relate with them like phyno,olamide,and da grin who i consider as a good rapper.........if not,they would only make the extinction or rap music faster in Nigeria..........rappers are humans and need money too...so they have to re invent themselves in order to stay in the game.....who said it would ever be easy??
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Yemlizzy(f): 6:07pm On Jul 08, 2014
Most of all these rappers wanna hit it at first trial. When they see it doesn't work that way,they'd diversify into other genres.

Thats why r n b doesn't make waves here in Naija assuming its a song with nonsense beats,you'd see everyone dancing to it. Thats Naija for you!

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Djicemob: 6:34pm On Jul 08, 2014
ERTHAENIGMA:
listen to j.cole's lost ones. Classic dialogue. He tackled the issue of teen pregnancy in 3 minutes 54 seconds. Something nollywood would not be able to portray in 3hrs of film time
Yea,Just 3mins 54 sec.Dat is the beauty of real rap music some peeps dont understand.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jul 08, 2014
Men pasa n'ogbe
Ju ese igafu na ha bu Alobam

if U no lyk Phyno, je saaa ur brain ne Washington!
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Edunwa302(m): 6:53pm On Jul 08, 2014
u on point like gbom kwem but soonest rap music ll b back in naija
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by danbrowndmf(m): 7:15pm On Jul 08, 2014
Djicemob: Ever wondered why rap artistes like Modenine,kahli Abdu,poe,loose kaynon,pherowhuz etc are not been taking seriously in the industry(atleast by the majority of music listeners) today? Meanwhile rap/afro-pop acts like Ice-prince,olamide,phyno are seen as the face of rap music in nigeria today? Yea,your guess is as good as mine,real rap is slowly getting extinct in nigeria.But hey! It would be quite unfair to blame the artistes that adapted to change and placed music hustle first,which in-turn puts food on their table.Of course who wouldnt want to drive the latest cars and build the biggest mansion? I would.

Coming out as a rap/hiphop artiste in nigeria today,there are two things involved.Do you want to be a real rap artiste or a commercial rap artiste? If you want to be a real rap artiste,fine! But get ready to be taken seriously only by rap heads and your hommies.If u want to be a commercial rap artiste,the better,considering the fame and the financial gains.Doesnt sound fair right? I know.There are couple of reasons for the inbalance which i would explain to you.In business(in general) the consumer comes first right? Now,same applies to the nigerian music business,the music lovers and listeners also comes first.They(consumer) pratically holds the key to the artistes success...and ofcourse God.

Having said all these,it is important to analyse the music consumer,yea? I would save you the trouble.The average music listeners in nigeria today has grown to be quite lazy(no offense).Nobody wants to spend the whole day deciphering your punchlines,metaphors and similes when there are different problems facing the nigerian man/woman.A banging beat,catchy hook and lacklustre verses talking about how you are 'ballin',boasting about being the street king and most importantly addressing the feminine backside(a*s) while asking her to "shake it" would do the trick of getting you that commercial success,whereas,leaving the real hard workers on the sidelines with their so called "real hiphop" which is quality goods for the consumer.I am quite sadden when i see these real rap artistes spits their lives out in their songs and dont get the props,support and recognition they truly deserve,hence,my reason for writing this article.

The thought of Ice-prince(no beef intended) representing nigeria at the BET(which houses stars like Drake,kendrick lamar,Jcole etc) as the best rap artistes is quite laughable for a big country like nigeria which also houses quality artistes like modenine,khali Abdu,poe,boogey,jesse jagz etc who would give their american counterparts a run for their money(atleast to some extent).This,to me is quite deplorable.

Conclusively, I doff my hat to these real hiphop artistes who never gave in to the commercial stereotype-craze in the industry today.To me,it all boils down to LOVE and PASSION for the art(which is the real essence of listening and making music) and not the money.Thanks to these "real artistes" for keeping rapheads like me glued to nigerian music.
DJ ICE-MOB
#Now playing:Desire by jesse jagz
#jagznationalist
wow.nyc wrt up.r'e u a rapper?if u are den lemme knw u beta

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by KelvinGraphics(m): 7:17pm On Jul 08, 2014
Eahyaa... I miss Da Grin gan
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by ERTHAENIGMA(m): 7:36pm On Jul 08, 2014
Problem with most hip hop heads is that they don't want to accept the fact that we live in an ever changing world. Saying real hip hop is dead is harsh(although the quality of rap has depriciated down the years). Big daddy kane (someone i'm expecting the indomie generation to know nothing about) once said, 'back then,if you called yourself a rapper,niggas would ask you to spit some bars. Now they'll ask you '' where your chain at nigga,where your car at nigga? ' . My point is substance has been replaced by materialism. Nowadays,best rappers are judged by how much cash they can blow. And it's saddnening. But all the same we still gotta give thumbs up to niggas in the present generation who produce quality rap. The popular ones like lil wayne (yes,i said lil wayne), j.cole,TDE, SH,wale(believe it or not,this nigga is deep as f**k) and the not so popular big krit,chino xl,action bronson,immortal technique and the lots. And with dudes like earl sweatshirt,mac miller,joey badass, we can be rest assured that there is a glimmer of hope in hip hop's future. Life is a never ending cycle. The pointer is now on our pop centered generation. Soon,it is bound to return back to true hip hop

#BLESS
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by olabode89(m): 7:46pm On Jul 08, 2014
tsolz84: @ OP;to be candid;it has faded bro..the only real hip-hop/rapper still holding it strong in 9ja is d legendary "Jesse Jagz"..the likes of ice prince and co aint rappers;dunno the kind of music dey play but it definitely aint rap..

God bless u Bruv!!!

Jesse Jagz murdered d Jagz Nation album, tracks like desire, the popular 'bad girl' ft wiz kid, sativa, sex n scotch and my favorite burning bush are super hot.

1 Like

Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by danbrowndmf(m): 8:10pm On Jul 08, 2014
rashmanovic: hhmmm.. but you can stay in between like sauce kid, vector and mi.. MI came with Talk About it and the thing sell, and followed it up with Illega Music I in which HipHop head listened to. 50-50 right? He came with MI2 the movie.. Make his money, months later he released Illegal Music II for hiphop heads again... Vector came with State Of Surprise, he had hit singles like Get Down ft 2face, Mary Jay and I Luv Nigeria.. He made some lil cash, he then released BaRacks later on for the HIPHOP HEAD. He dropped the SECOND COMING.. Hit songs like Angeli ft 9ice, Born Leader ft Movado, Follow me dey go ft 2face and made some cash, now he his working on the #A7 project.. so there is a way you can go about the commercial and Dope rap things together
na u gt sense pass ma guy.u get it.u correct die...MI ND VECTOR has bin ma nigerian hip hop role model
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by ygenius: 8:59pm On Jul 08, 2014
Dats why I still remain seriki die hard fan. Others are Just commercial rappers noise maker
Re: Is Real Hip-hip/rap Facing Extinction In Nigeria? by Chrisdmeek(m): 9:48pm On Jul 08, 2014
acenazt: Even in the US. Who listens to Nas,Mos Def,KRS ONE,Talib Kweli,Rass Kass,2Pac,Immortal Technique any more?? Every body's busy listening to Useless music by the likes of 2Chainz,Future,Migos,Asop Ferg,Rich Homie quan. Its the generation. Times change and so does taste and interests.

I was about saying so bro, I just laugh when I hear some peeps say Lil wanye is the best rapper, Like WTF are they saying

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

CBS Warns Grammy Attendees To Cover Up Private Parts / Tina Turner Overtakes Fela In Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Vote. / 5 Top Gospel Songs That Should Top Your Playlist This Yuletide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.