Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,378 members, 7,781,063 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:14 AM

Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? - Science/Technology (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? (20108 Views)

Ways In Which Time Travel Maybe Possible / Cosmologist Outlines Three Concepts For Time Travel / Time Travel And Teleportation: How Possible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by haibe(m): 5:45pm On Jul 20, 2014
breezy047:

Its possible but in reality im not sure mankind will be able to avhieve it. It they could, we would have witnessed folks visiting us from the future.
if at all its possible, no one can visit you from the future because you are what determines the future, your actions today is what determines tomorrow.
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by Arosa(m): 5:50pm On Jul 20, 2014
Guys will you say that fry time travelled when he woke up from the cryogenic chamber in Futurama? (travelled to the future that is).
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by Pain(m): 5:50pm On Jul 20, 2014
benbuks: I've been
thinking critically & following the world of physics &
attempts made by some scientist /mathematicians
to prove time travel which some did theoretically ,
but for real , how possible is it to travel back to the
past / to the future .?
gat to be "supernatural " i suppose .

Dear OP, I empathize with you but the truth be told. Time travel is almost as impossible as trying to piece back to flesh a cremated man.

The closest you can get to time travel is mind travel.

The human brain is capable of engaging in time travel by way of recollection or projection. I'm pretty sure you do that often already.

Please don't mix this up with spirituality. That is another topic.
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by haibe(m): 5:53pm On Jul 20, 2014
paulemi:

Finally, here's someone actually saying something. To really understand that the concept of time travel is possible, you've got to look more into the spiritual, conventional physics can not help only metaphysics and something more. The concept of time as people see it is an illusion, we created it, and its all centered around the movements of our planet relative to other planets and solar bodies. Einstein postulated that everything happens simultaneously.... your present and future are actually happening at the time, its just a matter of when you walk into which and become aware of it. I agree wholesomely with this idea because it corroborates with the bible's claim about God (a spirit being) seeing the end from the beginning and living in eternity. In the metaphysical world the whole idea of time collapses; time and space become meaningless. The being God and other spirits live in eternity, and eternity is one long stretch of a day; no night, no morning and no time, it doesn't end.
That said, I believe time travel is possible but not in the sense that most people think. If we consider the fact that looking at the sun and other stars we actually look back in time. The distance of stars and other solar bodies is actually measured in light years, and this just means the number of years it takes light emitted from these stars to reach earth. So when you look at the constellations for example, you re actually seeing what they were like hundreds of years ago. For all we know some may be dead now. The time will come when man will be able to project himself (a conscious part of his being) into the future, or the past, and observe things. Unfortunately, that is the closest to time travel we will ever get in this physical body mass. We'll only be able to observe things, but not be able to interfere, or interact with events in the future or the past....only the present. Anything more than that will subject this physical body, or any chunk of body mass, to such vibrational energy it will cause the total disintegration of such body. Mass transfer between realms and dimensions will be a problem, however, sending messages in wave forms and digital signals will be possible. Its only a matter of time I say, and this is based on my research, observation and thinking.

How about looking in a non spiritual manner? We dealing with physics here I guess, not metaphysics
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jul 20, 2014
mahtma:

Y has past folks not calling, email, twitting us since you believe that what is possible now would have been possible then. My friend when God decides to let things happen it would be u see wen human conceive an idea may be God want the ideas to be manifested time travel is not needed now Building Brain is more Impoortant

You dont understand.

When you time travel, you go to the past or future.
If the human race did succeed in developing a time machine in the future, people of that future would have been travelling to the past. We are in their past so we would have contacted them.

The non occurence of that signifies that the human race will never get to that stage and develop a time machine till the earth ends.
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by haibe(m): 5:59pm On Jul 20, 2014
breezy047:

You dont understand.

If the human race did succeed in developing a time machine in the future, people of that future would have been travelling to the past. We are in their past so we would have contacted them.

The non occurence of that signifies that the human race will never get to that stage and develop a time machine till the earth ends.

Assuming time travel is possible:

it's we here who can travel to the future, there's no one practically based in the future or the past that can come visit the present. only those in the present can go to the future and come back to the present. So we are no one's past or future, it is us who have a past and a future and can visit them.
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jul 20, 2014
Pain:

Dear OP, I empathize with you but the truth be told. Time travel is almost as impossible as trying to piece back to flesh a cremated man.

The closest you can get to time travel is mind travel.

The human brain is capable of engaging in time travel by way of recollection or projection. I'm pretty sure you do that often already.

Please don't mix this up with spirituality. That is another topic.
more insight on the "mind travel " .. ..??
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jul 20, 2014
haibe: if at all its possible, no one can visit you from the future because you are what determines the future, your actions today is what determines tomorrow.

Bro if time travelling were possible you could visit someone in the past.
Its a documented theory that you could even watch yourself being born in the hospital if you can time travel back to that moment.
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by haibe(m): 6:09pm On Jul 20, 2014
breezy047:

Bro if time travelling were possible you could visit someone in the past.
Its a documented theory that you could even watch yourself being born in the hospital if you can time travel back to that moment.

For past yes because it has happened. For future, No because it has not yet been determined
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by Rogers210(m): 6:19pm On Jul 20, 2014
Traveling at the speed of light still doesn't make time travel possible. Einstein equation: E=mc2.....if this is possible at all, it simply means....(speed of light squared multiplied by your mass)...by then, you will exist, not as a human being anymore, but as ENERGY IN THE ELECTROMAGNETIC SPECTRUM.
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by mahtma: 6:22pm On Jul 20, 2014
breezy047:

You dont understand.

What am saying is that we don't need the past folks to to visit us before we can think of time travel to be possible we just need the right thinking and Almighty God authority. We have been transporting particles ,photons back in time instantaneously faster than light using principles of Quantum Entanglement the 1 Einstein disbelieve.
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jul 20, 2014
mahtma:

What am saying is that we don't need the past folks to to visit us before we can think of time travel to be possible we just need the right thinking and Almighty God authority. We have been transporting particles ,photons back in time instantaneously faster than light using principles of Quantum Entanglement the 1 Einstein disbelieve.

This is like saying we dont need a man to sleep with a woman for us to have babies.

If the sperm hits the ovum, babies would be the result. Likewise if mankind did achieve time travelling, folks visiting us from the future will be the result.
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jul 20, 2014
haibe:

For past yes because it has happened. For future, No because it has not yet been determined

So basically are you saying time travelling to the past is impossible but time travelling to the future may be possible?
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by paulemi(m): 6:48pm On Jul 20, 2014
haibe:

How about looking in a non spiritual manner? We dealing with physics here I guess, not metaphysics
Ermmm....my point really is that you can't talk time travel and be talking classical physics. Relativity theory and other physical laws will not help here as there's no geographical location called the past or future.
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by iamord(m): 7:05pm On Jul 20, 2014
breezy047:

Believe me you contact them more than than you lace your stomach with rice grains.

They are all around but you cant see them because they belong to another dimension.
bless u..when I watched star treck.m there was a uuniversal rule to the aliens.. That they must not reveal themselves to humans or interfer in their dealings.. They come to earth.mand have bases under the sea.. Under ground and in thick forest.m our fore fathers saw some of them and called them gods and all that.m till today american gov establishes contact with them.. We as africans hare yet to reach that stage of learning.. It only few individuals that harness that power
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by mahtma: 7:06pm On Jul 20, 2014
breezy047:

This is like saying we dont need a man to sleep with a woman for us to have babies.

If the sperm hits the ovum, babies would be the result. Likewise if mankind did achieve time travelling, folks visiting us from the future will be the result.

May be I don't understands your point what am saying is that internet was invented in the 20th century used by 20th century folks till today 21st century since the invention we cant send messge to past folks neither they can send to us what ever we invnted it within our time frame to future and to the day it was invented. See seredipity we talking time travel and on mbc 2 time travel movie is showing ''THE LAST MIMZY''

1 Like

Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by logica(m): 7:11pm On Jul 20, 2014
ghostofsparta:
So since you believe if a subject approaches or attains the speed of photons, the subject will increase in mass, mmmh interesting but kindly explain to me how they came about this fact, could it be because they've observed partcles to gain mass when accelerated in Hadron Collider? Explain to me, I want to learn. Also explain to me how so or how will time travel occur if the speed of light is exceeded?
If indeed you want to learn and not just being sarcastic, then Google what Einstein's Theory of Relativity is about; and of course you will see the Mathematical equations which predict these facts. And yes, they are facts as they have been backed up by experiments long before the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) existed. Of course LHC has been useful in recently proving the existence of the "God Particle" or Higgs Boson which Peter Higgs had predicted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

Clocks on the Space Shuttle run slightly slower than reference clocks on Earth, while clocks on GPS and Galileo satellites run slightly faster.[1] Such time dilation has been repeatedly demonstrated (see experimental confirmation below), for instance by small disparities in atomic clocks on Earth and in space, even though both clocks work perfectly (it is not a mechanical malfunction). The laws of nature are such that time itself (i.e. spacetime) will bend due to differences in either gravity or velocity – each of which affects time in different ways.[2][3]

In theory, and to make a clearer example, time dilation could affect planned meetings for astronauts with advanced technologies and greater travel speeds. The astronauts would have to set their clocks to count exactly 80 years, whereas mission control – back on Earth – might need to count 81 years. The astronauts would return to Earth, after their mission, having aged one year less than the people staying on Earth. What is more, the local experience of time passing never actually changes for anyone. In other words, the astronauts on the ship as well as the mission control crew on Earth each feel normal, despite the effects of time dilation (i.e. to the traveling party, those stationary are living "faster"; whilst to those who stood still, their counterparts in motion live "slower" at any given moment).

With technology limiting the velocities of astronauts, these differences are minuscule: after 6 months on the International Space Station (ISS), the astronaut crew has indeed aged less than those on Earth, but only by about 0.007 seconds (nowhere near the 1 year disparity from the theoretical example). The effects would be greater if the astronauts were traveling nearer to the speed of light (approximately 300,000 km/s), instead of their actual speed – which is the speed of the orbiting ISS, about 7.7 km/s.[3]

Time dilation is caused by differences in either gravity or relative velocity. Both factors are at play in the case of ISS astronauts (and are actually opposing one another).
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by mahtma: 7:11pm On Jul 20, 2014
haibe:

not everything beyond human thinking is sprirtual some science are spiritual for example the way u will look like is already folded in or DNA. DNa is just a chemical imagine or life is a chemical that is not up to strand of hair isn't that spiritaul?
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by mahtma: 7:13pm On Jul 20, 2014
logica: If indeed you want to learn, then Google what Einstein's Theory of Relativity is about; and of course you will see the Mathematical equations which predict these facts. And yes, they are facts as they have been backed up by experiments long before the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) existed. Of course LHC has been useful in recently proving the existence of the "God Particle" or Higgs Boson which Peter Higgs had predicted.

Plz I will like to comments just let me go and brake my fasting
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by chronique(m): 7:14pm On Jul 20, 2014
I don't know about traveling back in time but I think it's possible to travel to the future cos it's something i've done severally. A lot of things that have happened to me physically in life,are things that I have seen and experienced mentally(not in my sleep). They happen in my thoughts and I visualize them and feel myself experiencing those things,and they later on,happen to me same way in the physical. Sometimes,I feel it has to do with the meaning of my native name(it means the one who see the future). So,when I tell people I have lived in my future,they don't get to understand me. I feel it's possible to travel to the future;not the past.
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by mahtma: 7:33pm On Jul 20, 2014
chronique: I don't know about traveling back in time but I think it's possible to travel to the future cos it's something i've done severally. A lot of things that have happened to me physically in life,are things that I have seen and experienced mentally(not in my sleep). They happen in my thoughts and I visualize them and feel myself experiencing those things,and they later on,happen to me same way in the physical. Sometimes,I feel it has to do with the meaning of my native name(it means the one who see the future). So,when I tell people I have lived in my future,they don't get to understand me. I feel it's possible to travel to the future;not the past.

Are u talking about dejavu?
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by chronique(m): 7:56pm On Jul 20, 2014
mahtma:

Are u talking about dejavu?

No. I experience them in my thoughts and actually live them mentally before it experience them physically. It's hard to explain.
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by hyuga(m): 8:09pm On Jul 20, 2014
i stil beleive only data cn time travel. 100yrs 4rm nw, if i kip my mmc or hdd safe, my great grand kids wud have a feel of d past by playing d videos or viewin d pics just lyk hw i ve a glimpse of my dads' via his old pics. Thats d best i tink time travelling cn reach. Cos no matter hw much i move at d speed of light, i dnt tink i wud see ma grand kids wen i neva even mari at present. Jst ma opinion

1 Like

Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by mahtma: 8:34pm On Jul 20, 2014
chronique:

No. I experience them in my thoughts and actually live them mentally before it experience them physically. It's hard to explain.

Do u in any way maneuver it the way u want it to unfold or it only came to u as a flash and u can't do anything about it plz explain
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by chronique(m): 9:02pm On Jul 20, 2014
mahtma:

Do u in any way maneuver it the way u want it to unfold or it only came to u as a flash and u can't do anything about it plz explain

Not a flash. I find myself being at it for hours at times. And yes,I can maneuver the events taking place in it but not all the time.
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by mahtma: 9:25pm On Jul 20, 2014
chronique:

Not a flash. I find myself being at it for hours at times. And yes,I can maneuver the events taking place in it but not all the time.

Wow that is wonderful I have been fascinated by mystries of our existence and I have spent counless hours researching the most oustanding and complicated organ in the known universe and I had a lot of realization about it ourselves expecially in the aspect of cognition.
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jul 20, 2014
Harhzyz: If time travel becomes possible then it means there is no God and that we humans are gods.

You are right! A God is someone who had acquired vast amount of knowledge and can almost use at least 80 percent of their mind/brain capacity. An ignorant human today could possibly time travel 2000 years into the future, find a solution to a big problem, regress back in time and get problems solved.

It's been done so many times in our past history.
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jul 20, 2014
Impossibility is nothing
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by ERTHAENIGMA(m): 10:24pm On Jul 20, 2014
iamord: bless u..when I watched star treck.m there was a uuniversal rule to the aliens.. That they must not reveal themselves to humans or interfer in their dealings.. They come to earth.mand have bases under the sea.. Under ground and in thick forest.m our fore fathers saw some of them and called them gods and all that.m till today american gov establishes contact with them.. We as africans hare yet to reach that stage of learning.. It only few individuals that harness that power
seriously? Movies? Dafuq?
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jul 20, 2014
Op it can be possible,have u ever notice some event happens twice in someone's life,let me explain like sometimes wen u are doing something it will just look as if u have done that thing before,have u ever notice that?
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by mahtma: 10:43pm On Jul 20, 2014
dancok: Op it can be possible,have u ever notice some event happens twice in someone's life,let me explain like sometimes wen u are doing something it will just look as if u have done that thing before,have u ever notice that?

That is not time travel or time reversability but it is an inherent properties of our brain the brain is always working to ensure that we aren't in oblivion of our awareness. The brain always try to solve the puzzle of where am I by using all the available existing data from memory. Thats u will feel as if u had that experience in the past. This is not just philosophical assertion but a scientifical explanation for conditions like dejavu.
Re: Time Travel : Real Or Fictional .. .?(how Possible) ? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Jul 20, 2014
benbuks: I've been
thinking critically & following the world of physics &
attempts made by some scientist /mathematicians
to prove time travel which some did theoretically ,
but for real , how possible is it to travel back to the
past / to the future .?
gat to be "supernatural " i suppose .

I have read most post, people seem to be mixing time travel up with all kinds of supernatural myths. Remember Einstein formulated relativity in the early 1900s, so it's almost a century old idea, and should be easy to explain.

Time travel is not really in the sense that you can start up and walk into your past, rather it is expressed in two forms by A. Change of speed and B. Change of location. I will explain A. Change of speed first.

But to understand me, you need to first understand the Space Time continuum. :- in your human experience, space seems to be static, an unchanging reference right? Infact that's what Isaac Newton thought and based most of his theories on, but Einstein proved that space alone
Can not be used as a static reference. The trick here to realising this lies in vector resolution of relative velocities. In a world where space is static or at rest, an object traveling with a certain constant speed in space will have different velocities when observed from various reference positions also traveling at varying speeds and directions. This is what we observe readily on earth. But Einstein discovered that no matter the reference frame from which you observed a streaming beam of light, it was always traveling at the same velocity C. C is that famous 3 x 10^8 m/s that we all learnt about in school. This should not be so if space was truly static.

The only way to explain Einsteins observation is to factor in time in the static reference frame, so that we have a Space-time matrix for reference. It is when you factor in time experience of your reference frame that you will with ness the fact that time contrasts or dial antes depending on you velocity in space, it is this change in time that ensures that the speed of light measured from different references of various velocities remains same constant C.

It follows that C is a very pretty special number, Infact it seems that nothing can travel faster than this velocity no matter how much acceleration you put in due to the space time relation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Nigerian Builds Unusual Jet Car (VIDEO) / Will Kerosene Freeze If Put In Freezer? / Do Animals Mourn Too? Yes They Do......

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.