Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,875 members, 7,806,511 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:35 PM

How Well Do You Know Your Classic Vw's? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Well Do You Know Your Classic Vw's? (1921 Views)

Work In Progress (vw Beetle) / 2007 VW Phaeton: Is It A Good Idea To Buy This Car? / Should I Go For Passat Vw Or Toyota Camry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Well Do You Know Your Classic Vw's? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jul 08, 2014
This is a new one for me and never knew it existed.

http://naijadrives.com/how-well-do-you-know-your-vws/

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Classic Vw's? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 08, 2014
I know my old VW's, as well as I know my Audi's.

The car pictured above is the Volkswagen SP2, which is a product of Brazil. Think in terms of VW De Brazil (the Brazilian connection).

The VW SP2 was pretty similar to the VW Rio (from the front) and the VW Brasilia, all three models were popular in Nigeria between 1976-1983. Many may remember the VW Brasilia as the VW Igala (as it was named for the Nigerian market).

The SP2 has always been one of my favourites, my mom's friend used to own one, and I remember her picking up her kids, myself and my sister from school in it.

I started a thread about the SP2 three years ago, and was looking to import one from Brazil or California, NA. I would still buy one today, if one turned up at the right price.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Classic Vw's? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 08, 2014
Siena: I know my old VW's, as well as I know my Audi's.

The car pictured above is the Volkswagen SP2, which is a product of Brazil. Think in terms of VW De Brazil (the Brazilian connection).

The VW SP2 was pretty similar to the VW Rio (from the front) and the VW Brasilia, all three models were popular in Nigeria between 1976-1983. Many may remember the VW Brasilia as the VW Igala (as it was named for the Nigerian market).

The SP2 has always been one of my favourites, my mom's friend used to own one, and I remember her picking up her kids, myself and my sister from school in it.

I started a thread about the SP2 three years ago, and was looking to import one from Brazil or California, NA. I would still buy one today, if one turned up at the right price.

Excellent, I never knew this model existed though there's an Igala running around here somewhere.

The rear view reminds me of the early 924.

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Classic Vw's? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jul 08, 2014
CityNG: The rear view reminds me of the early 924.

Surely, you mean the early Porsche 928...
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Classic Vw's? by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jul 08, 2014
Siena:

Surely, you mean the early Porsche 928...

Actually the 924. The 928 was far too bulbulus, aerodynamically.

I've done the 924 and even transplanted a Buick V8 into it. I have the 928S on my to do list but they are getting older now.

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Classic Vw's? by yungboss(m): 2:03am On Jul 09, 2014
I remember the VW igala...back then the name "igala" on the rear or so, was difficult for me to pronounce,as it was "scribbled" on it.
wasn't it a rear-engined machine like the beetle?
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Classic Vw's? by yungboss(m): 2:06am On Jul 09, 2014
I also remember I fell in love with the VW Amazon...it's no longer in Production I'm sure.
Re: How Well Do You Know Your Classic Vw's? by Nobody: 4:00am On Jul 09, 2014
yungboss: I remember the VW igala...back then the name "igala" on the rear or so, was difficult for me to pronounce,as it was "scribbled" on it.
wasn't it a rear-engined machine like the beetle?

Yes it was rear engined as was most VW of that era.

Re: How Well Do You Know Your Classic Vw's? by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 09, 2014
I have fond memories of the Bolkswagen Igala L. My dad bought one brand new, in a similar Burgundy to the SP2 pictured here.

I remember being happy it was an "L" spec. There were only two trim levels - Igala and Igala L. The L trim had extras like:

Analogue clock.
Radio.
Cigarette lighter.
Chrome trim on the roof gutters (the only external difference between Base model and L).

Good old days.

(1) (Reply)

Car Talk - Changing Of Oil Type ! / Corolla Vs Civic Vs Jetta / How Gud Is Toyota Sequoia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.