Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,908 members, 7,799,057 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:35 PM

Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity (1372703 Views)

THREAD: HIGHER EVERYDAY- DAILY GUIDE For YOUTHS With W.F.KUMUYI (deeper Life) / Nigerian Man Starts Preaching In London Bus And Is Told To Shut Up / 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (112) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:19pm On Dec 12, 2014
Higher Everyday
Friday, December 12, 2014

YOUR TONGUE

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof" (Proverbs 18:21)

The tongue has the power of life and death. Your choice of life or death is determined by how you use your tongue. The scripture warns that how you use your tongue can determine your happiness and how long you will live (Psalm 34: 11-13). Many youths today use their tongues to cause confusions in the family, school and community. They tell and defend lies with their tongue. They abuse and curse with their tongues, and the outcome is sometimes irreversible.

A child of God is expected to use his tongue wisely; he is expected to always speak words that will enlighten his hearers. Think of the effect of the word you are about to speak before you utter it. Bless with your tongue instead of cursing, speak the truth instead of lies; and the blessings of long life, academic excellence, good health shall be your portion in the name of Jesus.

Challenge: "A wholesome tongue is a tree of life"

Prayer: "Dear Lord, help me to use my tongue wisely"

Further Reading: James 3: 1-14

Quotation: "Bless with your tongue"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:31pm On Dec 13, 2014
Higher Everyday
Saturday, December 13, 2014

HARD-WORKING HAND

"He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent maketh rich" (Proverbs 10:4)

Jack is a lazy student; he sleeps a lot and walks about aimlessly from one class or neighbourhood to another. He always puts aside assignments and loves to procrastinate. “I still have two days before the date of submission, he will say; I still have 10 more hours. The assignment is not much, I can finish it under an hour, and I will do it before the teacher comes around.” As you would expect, at the end of the session, Jack failed and had to repeat the class.

A diligent youth will study, work, pray hard and maintain a timetable for personal study. God does not condone laziness and this is made clear in his word (Proverbs 20:4). As a success-minded youngster, you should deny yourself pleasures and make necessary sacrifice in order to attain excellence. You should always go an extra mile. You can excel because God has promised reward and success to everyone who is hardworking.

Challenge: "Avoid procrastination: it is the thief of time"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to be diligent"

Further Reading: Proverbs 10:5

Quotation: "Always go an extra mile"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:05pm On Dec 14, 2014
Higher Everyday
Sunday, December 14, 2014

RETURN TO YOUR MAKER

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven..." (2 Chronicles 7:14)

As the Good Shepherd, Jesus will always accept back those who will come back to Him. Many have departed from the faith, having loved this present world. Many youths set their affection on fleeting things of the earth rather than things above. They forget that having Christ as Lord of their life is the only source of blessings. They also have forgotten God as our Maker; going after things that do not attract the glory to God.

God is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9). He is calling for your attention. May be you knew God before, but you have lost the connection, you can still come back. He is calling you. He wants you to get reconciled with Him. He does not want you to perish in the state of backsliding. He promises to hear and receive you.

Challenge: "Answer the call now, tomorrow may be too late"

Prayer: "Lord, I come back to you, please accept me"

Further Reading: Isaiah 1: 10-20

Quotation: "You can still come back"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:30pm On Dec 15, 2014
Higher Everyday
Monday, December 15, 2014

THE GREAT CHASE

"My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me" (Psalm 63:8.)

Wars, in times past, were as popular as sports are today. Many nations had seasons when they went out for war. It was during such wars (between Judah and Israel) that two notable warriors met. Because of the severity of the battle, one of them fled for his life. The fleeing warrior was Abner, a long standing army general in Israel. The pursuing warrior, Asahel was, noted for his speed on foot. Asahel was so single-minded to catch up with Joab that not even the confusion of such battles could break his resolve. With all the speed he could muster, he steadily gave the renowned army general a hot chase. Although his passionate pursuit led to his death, his name was chronicled in God’s Book for generations unborn.

In seeking God, it is only by possessing the passion and determination that a youth can truly triumph. You too can be listed in the book of records for generations to come. The condition is to seek and desire God above all else.

Challenge: "Groaning may endure today but glory will come tomorrow"

Prayer: "Draw me close to thee, oh God"

Further Reading: Psalm 63:1-11

Quotation: "Desire God above all else"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:58pm On Dec 15, 2014
♫ Hymn of the Week ♫

I’LL TELL THE WORLD (GHS 105)

1. I’ll tell the world that I’m a Christian -
I’m not ashamed His name to bear;
I’ll tell the world that I’m a Christian
I’ll take Him with me anywhere.
I’ll tell the world how Jesus saved me,
And how He gave me a life brand-new;
And I know that if you trust Him
That all He gave me He’ll give to you,
I’ll tell the world that He’s my Saviour,
No other one could love me so;
My life, my all is His forever,
And where He leads me I will go.

2. I’ll tell the world that He is coming -
It may be near or far away;
But we must live as if His coming
Would be tomorrow or today.
For when He comes and life is over,
For those who love Him there’s more to be;
Eyes have never seen the wonders
That He’s preparing for you and me.
O tell the world that you’re a Christian
Be not ashamed His name to bear;
O tell the world that you’re a Christian,
And take Him with you ev’ry where.

http://www.4shared.com/mp3/YW7h4p8c/GHS_105__Ill_Tell_The_World.html
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:15pm On Dec 16, 2014
Higher Everyday
Tuesday, December 16, 2014

ARE YOU FAITHFUL?

"And he said also unto his disciples, there was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods" (Luke 16:1)

True service in Christianity is all about loyalty and faithfulness. Without these all your efforts will amount to nothing. It is expected that every responsibility given to you in the fellowship is faithfully done. The Bible says, “It is required in stewards that a man be found faithful. Unfaithfulness to God in matters will attract His displeasure. Some youths are unfaithful to God in the areas of personal devotion, reading of the word and soul winning. Others are unfaithful to their parents in carrying out household chores. Others still are unfaithful in the classrooms by neglecting studies and prompt submission of assignments. The Lord says if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man’s, who shall give you that which is your own? (Luke 16:12). Faithfulness in all areas of life is not negotiable. Promise God to be faithful from today.

Challenge: "Little Faithfulness begets lofty feats"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to be faithful to you at all times"

Further Reading: Luke 16: 1-13

Quotation: "Faithfulness is not negotiable"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:47am On Dec 18, 2014
Higher Everyday
Thursday, December 18, 2014

PRAYING PEOPLE

"And the lord turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friend: also the Lord gave Job twice as much as he had before" (Job 42:10)

The story was told of a minister of God who did not pray for his own personal needs for over two decades but never lacked any blessing from God. It was at the point Job prayed for his friends that God turned his captivity and blessed him. Praying for others is known as intercession. It means leaving your personal needs and telling God about the needs of other youths. It attracts great blessings from God. Great Men in the Bible prayed for others and God blessed them. Daniel prayed for the nation of Israel to be delivered from captivity, Abraham prayed for Lot’s deliverance, Paul prayed for the salvation of his kinsmen and many more. God is in search of young boys and girls who will stand in the gap for their nation, church, families and other youths around them. Today, as a child of God, pray for the salvation of sinners around you.

Challenge: "Don’t be selfish, you can be God’s battle axe"

Prayer: "Lord, Make me a bearer of other’s burden"

Further Reading: Genesis 18:20-32

Quotation: "Who will stand in the gap?"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:26pm On Dec 19, 2014
Higher Everyday
Friday, December 19, 2014

RETREAT TO REST

"For thus saith the Lord God, the Holy one of Israel, in returning and rest shall ye be saved, in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength: and ye would not" (Isaiah 30:15)

When you resort to God, He can reveal to you how to make progress in life. Jesus did this many times during His earthly life and ministry, especially just before and after major decisions. The Bible says “In quietness and in confidence shall be your strength”. There’s something renewing about retreating to a quiet place of rest and peace. There are times when you should be alone, and direct your whole attention towards God. The Lord says, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest” (Matthew 11: 28). There is a place of refuge and rest in Christ, and it is only the Prince of Peace that can give you enduring peace. Hebrews 4: 9, says, “There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.” This rest will surely be yours as you wait on the Lord in Jesus' name.

Challenge: "The only enduring rest is from Christ"

Prayer: "Lord, give me grace to wait on you"

Further Reading: Mark 1:35

Quotation: "Learn to wait upon the Lord"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:14pm On Dec 20, 2014
Higher Everyday
Saturday, December 20, 2014

SOMETHING FROM NOTHING

"For we walk by faith, not by sight" (2 Corinthians 5:7)

Corrie Ten Boom says, “Faith is like radar that sees through the fog, the reality of things at a distance that human eye cannot see.” Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible. Your faith is what you believe, and not what you know. It is faith that releases the miraculous. It is the way to God’s divine influence. As a young believer, you must not give place to fear when you have firm faith in God. Gordon Robinson says “God meets us at the level we expect, not the level we hope” Faith gives us the courage to face the present with confidence and the future with expectation. Faith keeps the man who keeps the faith. Saint Augustine said, “Faith is to believe what we do not see, and the reward of this is to see what we believe.” Faith is necessary to succeed. You’ll feel jittery in life when you don’t live by faith. As your faith begins to grow, you will become a master of your situations and circumstances. Things will flow as God’s will according to your petition.

Challenge: "By faith the elders obtained a good report"

Prayer: "Oh Lord, increase my faith"

Further Reading: Hebrews 11:1-6

Quotation: "Faith sees the invisible"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:01pm On Dec 21, 2014
Higher Everyday
Sunday, December 21, 2014

LITTLE FOXES

"Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines; for our vines have tender grapes" (Song of Solomon 2:15)

Today, we are talking about the little foxes that destroy the vine. These are the little sins that are ignored or crept in undetected into your life. You actually need Jesus to drive out every known sin in your life. Charles Spurgeon warns that: “a little sin can make (you) miserable.” When you commit sin, it gives the devil license deal with you. Joseph, a young Hebrew, in spite of enticement refused to get involved in immorality in Egypt. Daniel, a teenager did not allow himself to be defiled by idolatrous meals served from the king`s palace in Babylon. Young Mary led an undefiled life and God favoured her to become the mother of our Saviour. Esther led an exemplary and inspiring life as a youth before God elevated her. As a young believer, you too can take away the little foxes of sins if you will allow Jesus to take control of your life; He will bless you above all your peers.

Challenge: "You can deal with the little foxes in your life"

Prayer: "Deliver me O Lord from little foxes of sin"

Further Reading: Galatians 5:9

Quotation: "Be a wise youth"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:01pm On Dec 22, 2014
Higher Everyday
Monday, December 22, 2014

CONFORMED OR TRANSFORMED

"And be not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God" (Romans 12:2)

As believer in Christ, you live in this world as a stranger who will eventually return home in heaven. Ungodliness and sinful practices abound in any part of the world where you live. You can be rest assured that the grace of God is sufficient to keep you from evil. Be determined to stand out wherever and in whichever situation you find yourself. The Lord Jesus wants you to live a transformed life. One way to be different from the crowd is to choose to do regular, ordinary things in an extraordinary way with great zeal. You should never be scared because with God you can never stand alone. Don’t be persuaded or discouraged by prevailing anti-Christian societal norms or opinion. Rather, like Christ endeavour to influence the world around you. Never choose to be quiet just because somebody disagrees with you. One with God is majority.

Challenge: "To make a difference, you must be different"

Prayer: "Lord, please make me a new creature and transform my life"

Further Reading: 2 Corinthians 5:17

Quotation: "One with God is majority"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:19pm On Dec 23, 2014
Higher Everyday
Tuesday, December 23, 2014

FORGET THE PAST

"Remember ye not the former things neither consider the things of old" (Isaiah 43:18)

Life journey is full of different experiences. You too might have had some helpful or unhelpful experiences. It is even possible that some of those experiences are slowing down your ability to move forward. But the good thing is that you can learn from your experiences and move forward. Not only that, you have ample opportunity to correct your mistakes as you put your faith in Christ.

As you look back to your past: your family life, academic pursuit, social, spiritual and health lives, you are sometimes unhappy with the past unhealthy experiences. Do not allow them to deter you from pursuing your goals. The things of old can be put behind you as you look up to God for better days. Your past was full of experiences; your present is an ongoing experiment while your future is full of expectation. You must not allow your negative past experiences to influence your present and cloud the glittering and glorious future ahead of you.

Challenge: "Lord, help me to conquer my past and believe your faithfulness"

Prayer: "Lord, please make me a new creature and transform my life"

Further Reading: Philippians 3:13- 16

Quotation: "God will not lie"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:20am On Dec 24, 2014
Higher Everyday
Wednesday, December 24, 2014

JILT JONADAB

"And Jonadab said unto him, lay thee down on thy bed, and make thyself sick, and when thy father cometh to see thee. Say unto him, I pray thee, let my sister Tamar come, and give me meat and dress the meat in my sight, that I may see it and eat it at her hand" (2 Samuel 13:5)

All over the world, peer pressure is one of the greatest influences that have destroyed so many young lives today. It happened that Ammon developed immoral desire towards his own half-sister Tamar but did not know how to go about it. Jonadab, his evil-minded friend was on hand to give his wicked and depraved counsel (2 Samuel 13:5). Never go too close to the opposite sex no matter their relationship to you! Tamar learnt her lesson too late!

How many times have you as a youngster allowed your so-called friends to mislead you? The question comes to you now: Who are your friends and what suggestions are you taking from them? To escape from both earthly suffering and God’s wrath, never associate with bad friends. Take the first step to lead them to Christ before they lead you to the devil.

Challenge: "The Friends you keep will make or mar your life"

Prayer: "I reject the company of Jonadab in Jesus' name!"

Further Reading: 1 Corinthians 15:33

Quotation: "Never take counsel from bad friends"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:52pm On Dec 25, 2014
Higher Everyday
Thursday, December 25, 2014

PAYING THE PRICE

"Seest thou a man diligent in his business? He shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men" (Proverbs 22:29)

You probably have some great aspirations in life. It is not a bad idea at all. But how do you realise those lofty dreams? The only way to go about this is for you to accept God`s guidance and be single-minded. Solomon was once a young person like you but asked God for wisdom, and became one of the wisest kings in his time. You too can follow his footsteps and ask God for wisdom. You can become ten times better than your peers. As a Christian, you must shun dishonest acts like examination malpractices. There is no short-cut to success. You must avoid some pitfalls such as procrastinations, laziness, poor time management, and prayerlessness as you try to climb up the ladder of success. Make up your mind to pursue excellence in all areas of life. Just as God helped Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego, Joseph and other youths to excel in life, you too can also excel in life if you remain focused.

Challenge: "Hard-work can bring you closer to your dream"

Prayer: "Lord, put the excellent spirit in my life always"

Further Reading: Daniel 1:8-20

Quotation: "No short-cut to success"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:51am On Dec 27, 2014
Higher Everyday
Saturday, December 27, 2014

ABILITY IN DISABILITIES

"And the Lord said unto him, who hath made man’s mouth? Or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? Have not I the Lord?" (Exodus 4:11)

Physical infirmities and challenges, often referred to as disabilities, are part of the realities of human physical existence. Every human being has some innate potential, which could propel him or her to reach the highest pinnacle of success. Moses felt because he could not be used by God because he was slow of speech. But God proved him wrong as he went on to become one of the greatest leaders of God's people.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt defied polio infirmity that confined him to wheelchairs all his life and was elected four times as the President of the United States of America! Maybe you have one physical challenge or the other. You need to believe in God and go on to be the best He wants you to be. In spite of your challenges, keep on believing God for miraculous healing, and you will surely have what you desired. Defy challenges, learn some skills today and become useful and successful in life.

Challenge: "You have no excuse for not achieving your goals in life"

Prayer: "Dear Lord, heal me and give me power to overcome all my challenges"

Further Reading: 3 John 2

Quotation: "Keep believing God"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:32am On Dec 28, 2014
Higher Everyday
Sunday, December 28, 2014

YOUNG OVERSEER

"And it came to pass from the time he had made him overseer in his house………. and the blessing of the LORD was upon all that he had in the house, and in the field" (Genesis 39:5)

Josiah at age eight began to govern the nation of Israel; David became a great and a renowned hero as a youngster; Daniel and his three Hebrew friends excelled in the Babylonian leadership academy. As a youth, you too can distinguish yourself. It is His will for you to attain highest positions in your spiritual, academic and social endeavours. For Joseph in Egypt, challenges were not barriers but steppingstones to breakthrough.

If you too will allow God to have His way in your life, you will definitely reach your God appointed place no matter the obstacles. You are not too young to do exploits. All you need to do is awaken your inborn potentials, lean on God and He will guide you to higher ground. But you must be God’s child for Him to take you to such a position of success.

Challenge: "No height is too high to attain"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to soar high in life"

Further Reading: Daniel 2:47-49

Quotation: "You can distinguish yourself"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:47pm On Dec 29, 2014
Higher Everyday
Monday, December 29, 2014

TRUE LOVE

"My little Children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue, but in deed and in truth" (1 John 3:18.)

Mike and Frank were dearest of friends since childhood; it was only the hours of sleep that parted them. This night, Mike’s sleep had vanished from his eyes, he was unsure on how to present Christ to his friend Frank. He feared that their friendship and love might break up if he dared to preach to Frank. But while he struggled with this thought, a voice whispered to him. ”If you really love and care for Frank, then you have to tell him about Jesus.”

True love makes you to tell your sinning friends about the consequence of their sins and the way out of them. Jesus has true love for you. His death on the cross exemplifies the highest level of love. God wants you to show practical love to other youths. Your love must not be insincere or in words only. Some of the ways you can show true love to others is by telling them about the love of Christ, sharing material things with those in need, paying visits and encouraging one another in academic, spiritual and other areas of life.

Challenge: "Do you tell others about Christ?"

Prayer: "Make my love for others to be real O Lord"

Further Reading: 1 Samuel 20:11-17

Quotation: "Show your love to others"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:10am On Dec 30, 2014
Higher Everyday
Tuesday, December 30, 2014

FAVOUR TIME

"Thou shalt arise, and have mercy upon Zion; for the time to favour her, yea the set time is come" (Psalms 102:13)

Favour is an act of kindness beyond what is due. Our God is kind and is always ready to help those who trust in Him. It was said of Esther: “And Esther obtained favour in the sight of all” (Esther 2:15). God waved all odds in favour of Esther, a lowly Jewish refugee, and crowned her an empress. You too can be promoted if you trust God. It is said that: “An hour’s favour from God is worth more a life’s time labour with men”. Such is God`s goodwill towards to His saints, and it is indeed a privilege to partner with the God of favour. To enjoy God’s favour as you approach the New Year, you must have relationship with Him. If you are not yet His, you are not yet a candidate. Come to Christ this moment, acknowledge your sins, confess them to Him, and recognise Him as your Lord and personal saviour, and you will become a partaker of God’s divine favour.

Challenge: "Live a life that will attract the favour of God"

Prayer: "Let your favour be my daily portion O Lord"

Further Reading: Genesis 39:2-4; 21-23

Quotation: "Partner with the God of favour"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:21pm On Dec 31, 2014
Higher Everyday
Wednesday, December 31, 2014

EBENEZER

"Hitherto hath the Lord helped us" (1 Samuel 7:12)

The word Ebenezer is an expression used by Prophet Samuel to show his gratitude to God for what He did in the past for the people of Israel. He exclaimed "hitherto the Lord hath helped us!" Through poverty, wealth, sickness, and health; at home and abroad, in the school, in the sanctuary, in joy, in trial, in victory, through it all, you also can echo "hitherto hath the Lord helped us!" Saints of old had a unique way of demonstrating their gratitude to God. When God provided Abraham a lamb instead of Isaac for a burnt offering, he built an altar and called it “Jehovah-jireh, which means: In the mount of the Lord it shall be seen.

As you look forward to another year with bright expectation, there is still a future to walk through. He who has brought you thus far has promised never to leave you or forsake you. His presence will go with us. You can rely on His past faithfulness in the past and face the future with definite assurance. Let us approach the year with more prayers and faith in God.

Challenge: "How often do you thank God for His loving-kindness?"

Prayer: "Fight my daily battle O Lord as I go into the New Year"

Further Reading: Psalm 124:1-8

Quotation: "His presence will go with you"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:28am On Apr 20, 2015
Higher Everyday
Monday, April 20, 2015

OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS BUT ONCE

"And they called Rebekah, and said unto her, Wilt thou go with this man? And she said, I will go" (Genesis 24:58)

The story here tells us about the Japanese eating culture - when you sit around the dining table with all varieties of food in dishes placed on the rotating serving dish. As the dish comes to you, fill your plate and rotate it. If you miss it, you may not get that dish again. Many opportunities in life come but once. Rebekah had a golden and rare privilege to become the wife of Isaac, the covenant child of Abraham. When the opportunity came, she never hesitated to cash on it. Life is short, opportunity fleeting, many lost opportunities can never be reclaimed. Often opportunity knocks only once, you must seize the opportunity while it is before you. You have only one life to live, one choice to make between good and evil, and one destiny between heaven and hell. God gave us the gift of choice. You must make your choices wisely.

Challenge: "An aging man cannot rewrite his youth"

Prayer: "Help me, O Lord, to make wise choices in life"

Further Reading: Ecclesiastes 3:1 – 10

Quotation: "Life’s opportunity comes but once"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:19am On Apr 21, 2015
Higher Everyday
Tuesday, April 21, 2015

SAFE-GUARDING YOUR SALVATION

"Paul said to the centurion and to the soldiers, Except these abide in the ship, ye cannot be saved" (Act 27:31)

Apostle Paul was involved in a terrible shipwreck. Only few occupants of the boat can swim to shoreline. Paul’s admonition in the text speaks volume for youths. In soccer competition, two teams play on the field. One scores a goal while the other defends it. A team that wins must have played well. Are you still safe-guarding your salvation, if you have been saved from sin? Keeping your faith is important. You must contend for the faith once delivered unto the Saints. Abide in the Lord, fellowship with children of God; read, meditate on God’s word daily; pray always. Tell sinners about Saviour. He saves and separates youths that come to Him. Now, you have a duty to save guard your new birth experience.

Challenge: "But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved"

Prayer: "Grant me grace oh Lord, to guard my salvation jealously"

Further Reading: John 15:1 – 10

Quotation: "Keeping your faith is important"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:57am On Apr 23, 2015
Higher Everyday
Thursday, April 23, 2015

FLEETING FUN

"For all that are in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes and the pride of life, is not of the father but is of the world" (1 John 2:16)

It was summer again and Rogers and his friends gathered at the beach to catch some fun. Suddenly, a large sea hog came up unnoticed, as the youths were engrossed in their fun. It was already too late before they could scamper to safety; Rogers was already at the mercy of the sea creature. You see what happened to Rogers; he never expected that his fun would lead him to his untimely death.

No wonder, Jesus gave a stern warning to His disciples: “And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time, your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the earth. Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man,” (Luke 21:34-36). Fun doesn't last; it is only for a moment and vanishes quickly.

Challenge: "Seek things that have eternal value"

Prayer: "Deliver me oh Lord from the lust of the flesh"

Further Reading: 1 Timothy 5: 6; 2 Timothy 2:22

Quotation: "Fun vanishes quickly"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:19pm On Apr 24, 2015
Higher Everyday
Friday, April 24, 2015

SENTENCE FOR SIN

"They were armed with bows and could use both the right hand and the left in hurling stones and shooting arrows out of a bow, even of Saul’s brethren of Benjamin" (1 Chronicles 12: 2)

In 2009, 26-year-old Marvin Jarret was sentenced to life imprisonment because of his senseless murder of 23-year-old Sebastian Herrera when he gunned down the young man near the Brunswick House. Dear reader, sin led Marvin Jarret to be sentenced for life. Sin is acting in disobedience to the will of God. It is very destructive; it cuts short one’s life. The moment you commit sin it reduces your lifespan and you are sentenced and doomed for life, if you refuse to repent. Learn from Isaiah 55:6 – 7 that God hates sin, and if you have sinned against Him, there is room at the Cross for you to repent. Remember, Jesus died on the cross to set you free from destruction in hellfire. Sin will sentence you into hell. Beware!

Challenge: "Call upon the Lord now and you will be saved"

Prayer: "Lord, deliver my soul from destruction"

Further Reading: Ecclesiastes 8: 11- 13

Quotation: "Sin is very destructive"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:03pm On Apr 25, 2015
Higher Everyday
Saturday, April 25, 2015

PERIL OF PRIDE

"For thou have said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God, I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north" (Isaiah 4: 13)

The Bible is replete with people who are filled with pride, like Nebuchadnezzar, who was motivated by pride when he boasted in Daniel 4:30 "Is not this great Babylon, that I have built - by the might of my power." The consequence of his pride was that he was driven from men to the bush and he ate grass as oxen in the field. Herod, the Tetrarch, was also filled with pride, when he sat upon his throne and made an oration so that the people shouted; "It is the voice of a god and not of a man." Suddenly, he fell down and worms ate him up.

Today’s text reveals the pride in the heart of Satan who wanted to exalt himself above God. This is the height of pride. Are you motivated by pride, like Lucifer, who was never satisfied with his position as Lucifer, the Morning Star? If you are too proud about yourself, you need to repent, because dust you are and to dust you will return.

Challenge: "What a dangerous thing to be proud, for it goes before destruction!"

Prayer: "Lord, expunge every atom of pride from my heart"

Further Reading: Acts 12:21-24

Quotation: "Pride in the heart"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:18am On Apr 26, 2015
Higher Everyday
Sunday, April 26, 2015

CONDITION FOR CITIZENSHIP

"Follow peace with all men, and holiness without which no man shall see the Lord" (Hebrews 12: 14)

Twenty-five-year-old Michelle lived for seven years as an immigrant in America before she eventually became qualified as a citizen. Before she met the condition for citizenship in the US, she had tremendously contributed, through her hard work and dedication, to enrich the country and to preserve its legacy as a land of freedom and opportunity. She showed commitment to the US and her constitution and in return, she was rewarded with all the rights and privileges that are part of the US citizenship.

To become a citizen of heaven, you must be born again and follow peace with all men, and holiness without which no man shall see the Lord. Have you renounced your sinful lifestyle? What about the fighting and quarrelling in your neighbourhood? You need to confess your sins and repent. Hebrews 11: 16 cautions you to make our ways right before God, so you can become citizens of Heaven.

Challenge: "Make peace with those you offended!"

Prayer: "Lord, make me a citizen of Heaven always"

Further Reading: Psalm 15: 1 – 5

Quotation: "You must be born again"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:24pm On Apr 27, 2015
Higher Everyday
Monday, April 27, 2015

RAPTURE RACE

"In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound and the dead shall be raised in corruptible, and we shall be changed" (1 Corinthians15: 52)

Usain Bolt, a Jamaican sprinter widely regarded as the fastest person ever, retained the 100m crown after stunning victory over his rival, when he crossed the finish line to win gold in the men’s 100m final. Every race is engaging in a contest of speed, and athletes running the 100m race take focus, power and speed to cross the finish line to win the medal. To run at the highest level of competition, you need a lot of natural speed and racing technique.

In the same vein, the Rapture is like a hundred-metre race, run by every believer. The Rapture is the greatest event that the Church is waiting for. It is the catching away of all Saints washed in the blood of the Lamb. The Rapture is not for those who have rejected God and His only Son, Jesus Christ. You can only make it, if you meet the only qualification, which is repentance and faith in Christ Jesus.

Challenge: "Are you running the race to meet your Redeemer?"

Prayer: "Give me the grace to run the race to the end"

Further Reading: 1 Corinthians 9: 24 - 27

Quotation: "Cross the finish line to win gold"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:53am On Apr 28, 2015
Higher Everyday
Tuesday, April 28, 2015

SINNERS WON’T GO SCOT-FREE

"Though hand joined in hand the wicked shall not be unpunished but the seed of the righteous shall be delivered" (Proverb 11: 21)

Elvin Clark narrated how, as a teenage boy in high school, he played smart. He told his parents he was going to school but zoomed off with his friends Jim and Sceva in their dad’s car. Jim lost control of the car as it ran down the big oak tree. Elvin was the only one alive with amputated legs to recount their ordeal. The Bible refers to the sinner as a wicked person who does not regard God. We are told in Proverbs 24:20, 28: 1 that the wicked will never go scot-free; the wicked boy and girl will surely be punished for their sins.

When you deceive your parents, school authority, or friends, because you think you are smart and they will never discover, remember that God sees you and will punish you for that. You have flushed out so many pregnancies to cover up your promiscuous acts; you will not go scot-free, because any innocent blood you shed will be required from your hands. Are you afraid of revealing your sinful act? You too will not go scot-free.

Challenge: "Renounce all forms of sin now before it becomes too late?"

Prayer: "Lord, forgive all my sin and save me"

Further Reading: Revelation 21: 8, 27

Quotation: "God sees you"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:36pm On Apr 29, 2015
Higher Everyday
Wednesday, April 29, 2015

DECENT DAVID

"Though hand joined in hand the wicked shall not be unpunished but the seed of the righteous shall be delivered" (2 Samuel 1: 11 – 12)

David was a man after God’s heart; he feared God greatly and he would never rejoice over the death of his enemies, not even King Saul who persecuted him terribly. Rather, he mourned for Saul and Jonathan who died in the war. Christian youths are admonished to have a high sense of decency. To be decent is to exhibit virtues such as empathy, courage, fortitude, honesty and loyalty.

Like David, you should be of decent behaviour and walk in the fear of God. Endeavour to go for things that are pleasing and acceptable before God. You should never celebrate the downfall of others rather you pray for them to repent and come back to Christ. As Christian you do not avenge yourself or fight back instead allow God to fight for you as he did for David.

Challenge: "Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus"

Prayer: "Make me a man after God’s heart"

Further Reading: Colossians 3: 12 – 17

Quotation: "Exhibit virtues of courage, honesty"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:26pm On May 01, 2015
Higher Everyday
Friday, May 1, 2015

RESOLUTE RUTH

"And Ruth said, entreat me not to leave thee or to return from following after thee; for wither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God" (Ruth 1: 16)

An American homeless girl, who was determined to go to college in spite of her condition, at last made it to college because of her resoluteness. According to the Washington DC Office of Juvenile Justice, she was an ambitious and responsible girl. Paul the Apostle was equally resolute and persuaded that neither height nor depth shall separate him from the love of God. Are you resolute like Ruth who chose to remain instead of parting with her mother-in-law forever? She was determined to die with Naomi.

Many young people today are not willing to leave their entire evil habits, carnal passions, fashion craze and cheap popularity behind. They are not ready to go with Jesus through thick or thin like Ruth. Are you determined to go with Jesus all the way, whether in pains or joy; abundance or in want? When you are resolute and determined, not even persecutions from friends and family will deter you from carrying your cross and following Christ.

Challenge: "What shall separate you from the love of Christ?"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to follow you till the end"

Further Reading: Romans 8: 35 – 39

Quotation: "Ready to go with Jesus"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:13am On May 02, 2015
Higher Everyday
Saturday, May 2, 2015

TAMING NEGATIVE TRAITS

"An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that is swift in running to mischief" (Proverbs 6:18)

A Colorado-based high school girl Lesley suddenly developed the habit of being absent from school. She always hung out with boys, sometimes at her friends’ house, instead of attending lectures. At last, the school counsellor called home to her mom, who was shocked at the attitude of the girl she always dropped off at school every morning. Now she was at the verge of dropping out of school for her poor academic performance. Truancy is the act of staying away from school without good reason or permission. One of the characteristics of truancy is absenteeism from school or classes.

Many youths stay away from classes when they are expected to be there because they do not like school. You hang out with friends and spend your time clubbing, partying, smoking and drinking. This attitude will lead to academic failure and ruin your life. Do not think you are doing your parents or guardians any favour by studying hard and being obedient. Why don’t you turn over a new leaf and repent of any spirit of truancy?

Challenge: "Truancy will rob you of your success and promotion"

Prayer: "Lord, cut off these hurtful traits in my life today"

Further Reading: Proverbs 26: 13

Quotation: "Repent of any spirit of truancy"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:43am On May 03, 2015
Higher Everyday
Sunday, May 3, 2015

THE DIAMOND IN YOU

"Thou shall also be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord, and a royal diadem in the hand of thy God" (Isaiah 62:3)

Diamond is a very precious mineral that soon makes the owner very rich in millions of dollars. However, there is diamond in every youth. The potentials in you constitute diamond. Develop the diamond in you. Remember, the Almighty God has endowed his children with talents. Put your talents to use in your immediate environment, the church, the nation, and the world.

According to our text, your talents, skills, and gifts can make you a successful youth, as well as glorify God. All of these could be your diamond. Are they not? Build on them, for they are God-given ability in you as a person. Proverbs 17:8 records that, “A gift is a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it, whithersoever it turneth, it prospereth.” So, use the talents in you.

Challenge: "This is a point your diamond can turn you to a billionaire"

Prayer: "Lord, I need your help to discover and use my God-given talents"

Further Reading: Matthew 25:20 - 29

Quotation: "Use the talents in you"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — No Option To Christian Unity by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:25pm On May 04, 2015
Higher Everyday
Monday, May 4, 2015

VINEYARD VACANCY

"But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work today in my vineyard" (Matthew 21:28)

A neighbour once asked John Wesley: "What would you be doing now if you knew for certain Jesus would come today?" Wesley answered: "I would go right on doing what I’m doing." Wesley knew that there was vacancy in God’s vineyard and wanted to occupy till Christ came. There are lots of vacancies in God’s vineyard where you can work happily for Him today. The text before you gives a parable of two sons of a certain man. He told the first to work in his vineyard but he refused.

However, after repenting, he decided to do just that. He realised that in his father’s vineyard, every work or service rendered counted before the Lord. Christian youths are God’s servants and are expected to do any work assigned to them. This requires faithfulness, without which the harvest will waste. Vacancies exist in school fellowships, in the choir and ushering ministries, as well as, the mission and evangelism fields. The Lord will reward every work you do, so, don’t be idle. Go to His vineyard and labour.

Challenge: "God has no useless child except you choose to be one"

Prayer: "Lord, give me the grace to occupy in your vineyard"

Further Reading: Matthew 20:1 - 9

Quotation: "Vacancies exist in schools"

See more at:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (112) (Reply)

Christ Embassy's New Social Website / Yookos.com – Christ Embassy’s Social Networking Site.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.