Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,167 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

Higher Everyday — Love Not The World - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Higher Everyday — Love Not The World (1382285 Views)

THREAD: HIGHER EVERYDAY- DAILY GUIDE For YOUTHS With W.F.KUMUYI (deeper Life) / Nigerian Man Starts Preaching In London Bus And Is Told To Shut Up / 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (112) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:34am On Jun 09, 2015
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, JUNE 8, 2015

WHY WILL YOU DIE?

"Saying unto them, As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?" (Ezekiel 33:11)

The problem of death is universal, so, sickness causes fear, worry and anxiety to many. Marilyn Hickey said, "When Satan tempted the very first man, Adam, to sin, his goal was to bring forth death. There are actually three kinds of death: spiritual, physical and eternal." The uncertainties surrounding death make it even more awesome. This is why a lot of people spend their entire resources to fight it off. When some people receive dreams or prophecies of death, they panic and even run to witch doctors or ocultists for help, instead of to Jesus.

2 Kings 20: 1- 6 says that when King Hezekiah received a prophecy of death, he prayed to God and was delivered. Are you born again or still among the wicked who continue in rebellion against God by rejecting Jesus, and sinning? To die spiritually "...eternally separated from the Father", is most tragic. Repent now and live!

Challenge: "All who reject Jesus will die and suffer eternally"

Prayer: "Save me, Lord, from eternal death"

Quote: "Repent now and live!"

Further Reading: Psalm 119: 14 - 16

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:32pm On Jun 10, 2015
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 10, 2015

BULLDOZE THE BARRIERS

"For with God nothing shall be impossible" (Luke 1: 37)

Charlotte Elliott, the great music composer, was bed-ridden from her early years, but that didn't stop her from becoming an achiever. She realised the need for salvation and even made that clear in the lyrics of her hymn, "Just as I am, without one plea." She bulldozed her way through physical challenge to become an achiever by grace. Seek to bulldoze your barriers, be sure of your goal and stop procrastinating. You also need to be perseverant and persistent.

W. E. Corey states: "It is not always the smartest man who gets along the best; it is the man with bulldog tenacity, the man who perseveres and never gives up, who succeeds." There is nothing that a determined person, working with God, cannot overcome or achieve. To work with God, you need Christ’s salvation, for sin is a barrier. Do you have a sinful habit that is a barrier to your progress? Be it secret smoking, drinking or immorality, you can be freed from it. Call on the Lord today.

Challenge: "Never make your last attempt until you have succeeded"

Prayer: "Lord, empower me to overcome barriers to my progress"

Quote: "Stop procastinating!"

Further Reading: Romans 5:8

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:10am On Jun 11, 2015
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, JUNE 11, 2015

JUDGMENT AND JUSTICE

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth" (Jeremiah 23:5)

Modernisation teaches that there is no hell or a lake that burns with brimstone and fire. The theory also argues that one spends his eternity in heaven when one dies. Nothing can be farther from the truth. We are made to understand that God has to endure the antediluvian world, a generation that preceded the flood more than 2,000 years ago. Those people heard Prophet Noah’s preaching persuading men, women, and youths to come to repentance, but they all refused the proclamation of the gospel, and continued in sin and wickedness. The preacher’s household accepted God’s salvation message was saved from the catastrophe.

As a youth, do you know your cup of iniquity would soon get full if you continue in wickedness and sins? God will judge sinning youths who take God for granted. Well, you have a chance to repent of your sins and escape His punishment, for He is a God of justice. So, be wise by accepting Jesus, who is capable of saving you from the wrath to come.

Challenge: "Be wise by accepting Jesus"

Prayer: "O God, help me to obey Your Word and be wise by living godly"

Quote: "Do you know that you can escape by repenting from evils?"

Further Reading: Psalm 89:14 - 17

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:00am On Jun 12, 2015
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, JUNE 12, 2015

A FUTURE GENERATION

"That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children" (Psalm 78:6)

Today’s youths are the future generation, searching for identity, meaning, support and direction. In the process, some have battered or mortgaged their consciences through pressures from peers and the impact of different cultures as the media and internet shrink the world into a global village. Many youths have become restless and rebellious against their parents.

There is a shocking report that, 98 per cent of teenagers are spending 11 hours watching television or browsing on the internet daily. When will they get serious and prepare for the future? No wonder, the scripture says in Lamentation 1:16: “For these things I weep; mine eye, mine eye runneth down with water, because the comforter that should relieve my soul is far from me: my children are desolate, because the enemy prevailed.” May the devil not succeed in destroying the future generation.

You can join in the mission to rescue and transform the youths, our future leaders. First, ensure you are born again, and be a good example by letting the light of Christ shine through you.

Challenge: "There is need for youths today to help evangelise others"

Prayer: "O God, help me to help transform the future generation"

Quote: "Be a good example"

Further Reading: Psalm 22:31; 102:18

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:49am On Jun 13, 2015
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, JUNE 13, 2015

DISTINCTIVE DREAMER

"And he dreamed yet another dream, and told it his brethren, and said, Behold, I have dreamed a dream more; and, behold, the sun and the moon and the eleven stars made obeisance to me" (Genesis 37:9)

“The Bible reveals that in the past, God spoke through dreams to saints and sinners alike - warning them, directing them, helping them. He still does today,” says Ira Milligan. Such dreams came while the saints or sinners slept. When God gives a dream, He makes it clear, as was the case of Joseph in our text. Other dreams are special waking thoughts on something that someone hopes, desires or is ambitious for.

However, dreams without diligence will only amount to living in fantasies. Characteristics of distinctive dreamers include desire, determination, discipline and diligence. Do you have a dream of becoming a medical doctor, lawyer, journalist, preacher; an engineer or an accountant? The Scottish-born Mary Slessor had a dream of working for God as a missionary in Nigeria, and it was fulfilled. Similarly, Thomas Alva Edison had a dream of using electricity to give the world light without fire and he did. Dare to dream big!

Challenge: "Our burning desires are the prophecies of our destinies"

Prayer: "Father, destroy every dream-killer in my life, in Jesus name"

Quote: "Dare to dream big"

Further Reading: Genesis 39:1 – 10

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:39am On Jun 15, 2015
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, JUNE 15, 2015

BREAKING BREAD

"And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me" (Luke 22:19)

Passover was a time observed by all the Jews coming together into Jerusalem to celebrate. The occasion narrated in our text was the last that Jesus had with His disciples before His death, which became the Lord’s Supper Ordinance. Breaking of bread demands total unity for true fellowship among participants. All those who took it with the Lord were saved, except Judas Iscariot, who betrayed Him and he ate to his own damnation.

The early Christians also came together, broke bread and ate in unity and harmony, and this they did in remembrance of Christ’s death and resurrection. All believers should follow their example, for it is the Lord’s command. To be a partaker, you must be born again, spotless and blameless. If you abstain because of sin, you may also miss heaven. Holiness is a daily requirement. So, strive to be holy at all times.

Challenge: "Breaking bread requires total unity"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to stay pure always"

Quote: "It is the Lord’s command"

Further Reading: Acts 2:42

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:08am On Jun 16, 2015
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, JUNE 16, 2015

BE NOT AFRAID

"Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God’s" (2 Chronicles 20:15)

An anonymous writer wrote, "In the gospels, we hear Jesus exhorting His children not to be afraid. In the Acts we see them poised, unafraid." This was the case of the Reformer, Martin Luther, when at the Pope's command, he was asked to retract at the Diet of Worms. He knew that the penalty for refusing to withdraw what he wrote about the errors of the Catholic Church was death. So, he declared: "I cannot submit my faith either to the pope or to the councils, because it is clear as the day that they have frequently erred and contradicted each other… Unless therefore I am convinced by the testimony of scripture or by the clearest reason in, I cannot and will not retract, for it is unsafe for a Christian to speak against his conscience. Here I stand, I can do no other; God help me. Amen."

The friends of Martin Luther feared for him but he was not afraid. He trusted in God, and he was delivered. Beloved, whatever bad situation facing you today, hand it over to God. He still delivers.

Challenge: "Every challenge handed over to God is settled"

Prayer: "Lord, banish fear from my heart"

Quote: "He still delivers"

Further Reading: 2 Chronicles 20: 20 – 24

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:28am On Jun 17, 2015
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 17, 2015

A REPUTABLE LIFE

"Looking for that blessed hope and glorious appearing of the great God and our saviour Jesus Christ" (Titus 2:3)

What does it actually mean to live a reputable life? Living a reputable life entails a lot; it’s more of sacrifices, especially for the pleasure of this present evil world. So as enjoy blessed eternal reward from our Saviour Jesus Christ, Enoch lived a reputable life, forsaking pleasures and accepting the mockery of people. He lived a life that God was proud of and as a result, he didn't die a natural death because God took him alive. Joseph also forsook pleasure and resisted pressure from his master’s wife, he suffered for a crime he never committed yet he pleased God even with his life in this situation.

Just like I said earlier to live a rapturable life in expectation of our Lord and saviour we have to suffer and deny ourselves pleasure that won’t last so we can attain external treasure, live a spotless life and wait patiently on the Lord, live your life as if He is coming that very minute for that’s the way to gain your eternal reward, live a Holy life.

Challenge: "Living a reputable life entails lots of sacrifices"

Prayer: "Help me, O Lord, to live a reputable life"

Quote: "Way to gain eternal reward"

Further Reading: Genesis 5: 24

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:01pm On Jun 18, 2015
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, JUNE 18, 2015

DREAMING A DREAM

"And Joseph dreamed a dream, and he told it to his brethren: and they hated him yet the more" (Genesis 37:5)

John L. Mason said: "All men who have achieved great things have been dreamers. It may be that those who do most, dream most." Great dreamers in various nations have helped to move the world forward in various spheres, such as science, medicine, education, technology, engineering, and religion. The world would have been very backward without dreamers. Dreams make the dreamer, and dreamers make the world go round.

Our text shows how Joseph dreamed a dream, a God-given dream. Not all dreams come from God; some emanate from Satan and the human mind. Martin Luther King Junior’s famous "I have a dream" changed America for good. What is your dream today? Is it worth living for? Jesus had the dream of redeeming lost humanity and it was fulfilled when He died on the Cross for the redemption of Adam’s fallen race. You too can dream a big dream.

Challenge: "A dream not worth dying for is not worth living for"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to dream dreams and realize them"

Quote: "Dream a big dream"

Further Reading: Genesis 37:1 – 7

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:50am On Jun 19, 2015
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, JUNE 19, 2015

YOUR SPIRITUAL QUOTIENT

"But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you" (Romans 8:11)

I am sure you know about Intelligence Quotient (IQ). There is something more important than it - Spiritual Quotient (SQ). Though both are virtues and gifts, the difference between IQ and SQ lies in the letters 'I' in Intelligence and 'S' in Spiritual. People with very high IQ, like Albert Einstein, are usually very productive intellectually. It is easy for them to achieve the dreams they are committed to. It is the same thing with Spiritual Quotient, which begins when you get born again. God's righteousness through Christ and the fruit of the Spirit become yours.

As you pray and receive other Christian experiences, you become more empowered for exploits. You may ask: "Do all Christians have the same SQ?" No! As it is with IQ, so it is with SQ. All gifts - physical, mental or spiritual - come from God. We are told in 1 Corinthians 12:11 that, by the Holy Spirit, He gives to "every man severally as he will." You may not be as endowed as Peter or Paul, but you can let your little light shine in your little corner. Don't let your SQ waste.

Challenge: "Whatever your level of endowments, you can serve God"

Prayer: "Lord, I want to be a vessel of honour"

Quote: "Let your little light shine"

Further Reading: 2 Peter 1:3 - 10

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:09am On Jun 20, 2015
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, JUNE 20, 2015

A SPIRITUAL AWAKENING

"Wilt thou be angry with us for ever? Wilt thou draw out thine anger to all generation? Wilt thou not revive us again: that thy people may rejoice in thee?" (Psalm 85:5,6)

Each passing day, the world gets more chaotic and sophisticated than ever before, and youths are most affected by this scenario. Sadly, teenagers still live in a 'dark hour of civilisation' and spiritual darkness. The number of youths, who have forsaken godliness in a bid to make ends meet, is on a steady rise, and now, it is survival of the fittest, in terms of materialism and technological discoveries. The world desperately needs an urgent spiritual revival and genuine spiritual awakening to save mankind.

Too long have you depended on your wisdom, rather than the wisdom and power of God. Satan has put a high-priced tag on souls of young boys and girls of our generation. However, there’s still hope. As a youth, you need less elaborate equipment and more spiritual power to stem the tide. It is certain spiritual awakening will sweep away indifferences, formality, selfishness, immoral life and fruitlessness in your life. Time is running out.

Challenge: "Lift up a standard, and breakthrough the hell"

Prayer: "Dear Lord, Let the Holy Spirit help me to be spiritual re-awaken"

Quote: "You need spiritual revival"

Further Reading: Isaiah 57:14 – 16

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:45am On Jun 22, 2015
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, JUNE 21, 2015

LOVE FOR THE LORD

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or unclothedness, or peril, or peril or sword?" (Roman 8:35)

The story of Natasha Vin and her family in the Soviet Russia demonstrates great love for God. Natasha’s father was an underground minister; he was imprisoned for his beliefs and teachings, while Natasha suffered so many persecutions due to her faith in Christ Jesus. Despite the stripes laid on her body daily, she did not renounce Christ; rather her love for God made her endure the terrible persecutions and misunderstanding among her kindred. It is said that you could run your fingers deep in the wound made by the terrible whips on her back.

Natasha’s experience illustrates our text of today. The enemies of the gospel have tried over the years to destroy the Church, but Jesus' Word that, "The gates of hell shall not prevail against it" stands. Beloved youth, what is your stand? Do you love God dearly like Natasha? Your love for God should be constant, unconditional and sacrificial.

Challenge: "Be willing to suffer for Christ sake"

Prayer: "Give me more of your love for sinners around me"

Quote: "Your love for God be constant"

Further Reading: 2 Corinthians 5: 14 - 15

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:45am On Jun 22, 2015
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, JUNE 22, 2015

GODLY COUNSEL

"Esther had not yet shewed her kindred nor her people; as Mordecai had charged her: for Esther did the commandment of Mordecai, like as when she was brought up with him?" (Esther 2:20)

Benjamin Franklin said, "He that won’t be counselled can’t be helped." Esther seemed to have learnt this early in life. She was an orphan, brought up by her uncle, Mordecai. She was a beautiful girl, yet, submissive and obedient to him. There is a lot for every youth to learn from Esther, who later became First Lady in a foreign land. Esther accepted good counsels and instructions from Mordecai, and they helped her to become a Queen and to succeed in delivering the Israelites from extermination.

Great plans fail without godly counsels. This was why King David always consulted with God before doing anything important, such as wars. Do you accept godly counsels and advice from your parents, guardians, church elders and teachers? The greatest Counsellor, however, is Jesus. He wants to instruct you in spiritual, moral, and academic matters, if you become His child. Accept Him into your heart now.

Challenge: "Always receive godly counsel in all areas of life"

Prayer: "Lord, make me submissive to your counsels"

Quote: "The greatest Counsellor is Jesus"

Further Reading: 2 Corinthians 5: 14 - 15

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:35am On Jun 23, 2015
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, JUNE 23, 2015

ONE WITH GOD

"Then David put garrisons of Syria of Damascus: and the Syrians became servants to David, and brought gifts. And the Lord preserved David whithersoever he went" (2 Samuel 8:6)

A young man once observed the life of a new convert boy, whose success in everything he did caused attraction. He took his final school certificate examination and passed all the papers at one sitting while his school mates failed. Immediately, he secured admission in a tertiary institution for his higher education. The young man asked the Christian youth for the secret of his success, and he revealed that it was God’s favour and faithfulness. He added: "Since I repented of my sins and gave my life to Jesus, everything has changed concerning me, including my academic performance."

David, in today’s text, had special favour with God, succeeding where other youths failed. What endeared David to God’s heart? He was righteous and put high premium on God’s word. There is no other way to get God’s attention and have Him fight all battles for you. Are you on God’s side? Today, turn your life completely to Jesus; He will give you all-round success. One with God is a majority and the best.

Challenge: "When you team up with God, you become unbeatable"

Prayer: "Lord, give me victories over all enemies, and preserve me"

Quote: "He gives you all-round success"

Further Reading: Romans 8:31, 32, 37

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:02pm On Jun 24, 2015
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 24, 2015

THE BATTLE BELONGS TO GOD

"And he said, Hearken ye, all Judah, and ye inhabitants of Jerusalem, and thou King Jehoshaphat, Thus saith the Lord unto youthe battle is not yours but God’s" (2 Chronicles 20:15).

World War II ended in 1945. Since then various government of the world (world powers) have made several attempts to curb global conflict and tension, but to no avail. The stupidity of international wars has now dawned on them. Disarmament consultations, treaties, ceasefires, peace talks have been able to produce good results. Do you know the present world is destined to self-destruction, devastation and doom? With this in place, many nations are still secretly amassing sophisticated weapons. The battle belongs to God. Do not attempt to engage in physical combat.

In today’s text, King Jehoshaphat wholly relied on God who promised victory over numerous powerful enemies. He was in favour with the Almighty God, who assured Judah and Jerusalem not to be afraid or dismayed by reason of the great multitude. Do you know God is on your side and will fight for you? But He won’t defend a sinning youth.

Challenge: "God fights for you and you need not to take any sword or weapon"

Prayer: "Father, undertake my battles, deliver me from enemies"

Quote: "Don’t engage in physical combat"

Further Reading: Daniel 3:12 – 21

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:04am On Jun 25, 2015
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, JUNE 25, 2015

TWO GRAVE DIGGERS

"Wither shall we go up? our brethren have discouraged our heart, saying, The people is greater and taller than we; the cities are great and walled up to heaven; and moreover we have seen the sons of the Anakim there" (Deuteronomy 1:28).

A popular book published several years ago mentions a personality who had the following sentence written in big letters above his mantel: "The greatest troubles I ever had; never took place." This, however, was a way of recognising the spirit and practice of needless worry. Most things you worry about may never take place. For the Israelites, worry and anxiety, leading to incurable unbelief, was a besetting sin.

In today’s text, Moses reminded the children of Israel of their march from Horeb to Kadeshbarnea, through the terrible and dreadful wilderness. Worry and anxiety breed unbelief. Some 'unbelieving' believers often believe in evil reports more than in God’s Word which will never fail. The 10 spies gave an evil report, thereby increasing the worry and fear in the hearts of the children of Israel. Do not let worry and anxiety hinder your progress or shorten your life. Faith triumphs over all oppositions. Hold on to Jesus and no storm can sink your ship.

Challenge: "Those who wait till the 11th hour to repent, die at 10:30"

Prayer: "Lord, take away worry and anxiety and help me believe you always"

Quote: "Worry and anxiety shortens life"

Further Reading: Numbers 13:28 - 33

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:48pm On Jun 26, 2015
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, JUNE 26, 2015

GIVING GRACE

"And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work" (2 Corinthians 9:8.).

A less-privileged Christian sister was told about a poor widow who greatly needed a warm house coat. "I can give her mine. She possibly needs it more than I do. I can do without it. But I want to wash and mend it neatly. I’ll have it ready for her tomorrow." The house coat was prepared with a loving care and a handkerchief was tucked in one of the pockets. She put in some amount of money and a little booklet of promises of God’s Word. As she gave the coat to a friend to deliver to the widow, she said, "As it's for 'one of the least of His brethren,' I wanted it to be as nice as I could afford to make it."

The poor Christian sister gave sacrificially and lovingly as unto the Lord. Today’s Bible passage teaches that we can receive the grace to give, and the more we give to the needy and for God’s work, the more we are blessed. Do you love giving? You cannot out-give God, hence givers never lack. Give out money, clothes, and food, among others, but give your life to Christ first. God gave us His best – Jesus Christ.

Challenge: "It is more blessed to give than to receive"

Prayer: "Lord, give me more grace to give sacrificially"

Quote: "Givers never lack"

Further Reading: 1 Corinthians 9:8 - 15

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:20am On Jun 27, 2015
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, JUNE 27, 2015

WILL HE JUDGE?

"For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?" (1 Peter 4:17).

David Augsburger once stated: "The imperfection of justice in this life is the strongest proof that in the next world justice and vengeance will be fulfilled to the utmost." A lot of evils are committed in the world every day and the perpetrators seem to go scot-free. The oppressed find it hard to get justice in the law courts and they cry out: "Will God judge? Even the oppressors and wicked people wonder if it is true that God will judge them some day. Yes, God will judge the world. Sodom and Gomorrah or the house of the Priest Eli did not escape His judgment.

According to our text, God has no favourites and does not delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, but obedience to His Word. No youth can cajole God with tithes and offerings, water baptism, confirmation and taking of the Lord’s Supper. Jesus will judge all sinners and backsliders, if they die in their sins. Yes, He will. To escape it, you need salvation. Repent and believe the gospel today.

Challenge: "God will never compromise His holy standard"

Prayer: "Lord, deliver me from presumptuous sins and evils"

Quote: "Jesus will judge all"

Further Reading: Psalm 50:1 – 15

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:19pm On Jun 28, 2015
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, JUNE 28, 2015

NO TOIL, NO JOY

"The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat" (Proverbs 13:4).

The motto of a college, written in Latin, was literally translated by someone as "sweat before sweet;" another way of saying, "No toil, no joy" or "No pain, no gain." To toil means to labour or work hard. God’s principle for man is, "Sow before you reap." This is why farmers plant during planting season to reap at harvest time; scientists spend long years experimenting and researching for their inventions, and students study hard for good results and success. Theodore Roosevelt testifies: "I never won anything without hard labour and the exercise of my best judgment and careful planning and working long in advance."

It is necessary to work hard now and enjoy later. Find out from the great athletes, footballers, singers, preachers, teachers and painters; their story is the same - practice and hard work, with which come success, honour, victory, wealth, promotion and satisfaction. Even Jesus laboured hard to do the work of Him that sent Him. Follow the Lord’s example.

Challenge: "The goal of a wise youth is to have all-round success in life"

Prayer: "Lord, give me the grace to toil academically for good results"

Quote: "Follow the Lord’s example"

Further Reading: 2 Thessalonians 3:10 - 12

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:47am On Jun 29, 2015
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, JUNE 29, 2015

MIXED MULTITUDE

"And the children of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand on foot that were men, beside children. And a mixed multitude went up also with them; and flocks, and herds, even very much cattle" (Exodus 12:37, 38).

When the Israelites left Egypt, it was a time of great joy and celebration of God’s faithfulness to His promises. The mixed multitude that followed them may have included other Semites who had settled in the Delta Region and many native Egyptians who "feared the Word of the Lord" and accepted the covenant faith of Israel. Surely, they were the ones who began to complain and stir up Israel to lust for the flesh and vegetables which they had eaten in Egypt.

Christians must sever close association with the mixed multitude who filter into our churches. Don’t let unbelievers influence you in school or church to complain, murmur or openly rebel. The mixed multitude turned Israel into ingrates. They subverted Israel’s holy principles, faith, focus and fervency. Youths at times get so conscious of what has not been provided that they lose sight of God’s gifts - life, food, health, friends and success. Avoid the sinful crowd and do not lose your divine inheritance because of a mixed multitude.

Challenge: "Mixed multitudes are not the best of company"

Prayer: "O God, help me not to follow the multitude to do evil"

Quote: "Avoid the sinful crowd"

Further Reading: Hosea 7:8, 9

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:45pm On Jun 30, 2015
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, JUNE 30, 2015

LINGER NO LONGER

"For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation" (2 Corinthians 6:2).

To linger means to be reluctant to leave a particular place to somewhere. It can cause great loss and pose a huge danger. According to a writer, "Duties delayed are the devil’s delight." Lot owed it a duty to himself and his family, on God’s instruction, to make haste and leave Sodom that was facing imminent destruction, but he lingered until God’s Angels had to hold his hand and those of his wife and daughters to take them out of the city. Even after that, the wife still lingered, looking back to Sodom, and that caused her to turn into a pillar of salt.

Our text today stresses the need for urgent salvation. Like Lot, many youths linger in sinful practices, even when the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ is near. They think that God will not destroy this world. The devil is delighted at this false thinking as it keeps them in his bondage. Beloved, life is short and death is sure. Repent now to escape the wrath of God.

Challenge: "Let the joy of the world not blind you about the Lord’s return"

Prayer: "O Lord, quicken me to focus on eternity and not linger in sin"

Quote: "Repent now to escape God’s wrath"

Further Reading: Genesis 19:12 - 17

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:08pm On Jul 07, 2015
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, JULY 7, 2015

GOD’S GUIDANCE

"The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way" (Psalm 25:9).

Walter Knight told a story of an old Scottish woman who went from home to home across the countryside selling thread, buttons, and shoestrings. When she came to an unmarked crossroad, she would toss a stick into the air and go in the direction the stick pointed to when it landed. One day, she was seen tossing up the stick several times. "Why do you toss the stick more than once?" someone asked. "Because," replied the woman, "it keeps pointing to the left, and I want to take the road on the right." She kept throwing the stick into the air until it pointed the way she wanted to go!

If you want God to guide you in arriving at the right decisions, you must have the right relationship with Him. Remain in His presence and weigh the long-term consequences of your actions. You should be able to distinguish what is wise and right from what is foolish and wrong. Be honest with yourself and wait on the Lord to guide you.

Challenge: "Weigh the long-term consequences of your actions"

Prayer: "Guide me God, to take right decisions"

Quote: "Weigh your actions"

Further Reading: Psalm 31:3; 32:8

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:52pm On Jul 08, 2015
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, JULY 8, 2015

LIFE’S STRUGGLES

"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith" (1 John 5:4).

Players of college basketball once asked their coach why winning was so important to him. He replied, "because victory defines you. If you lose, nobody remembers you; if you win, everybody remembers you." The players tried to insist that participation was what mattered. "Trying your best, regardless of whether you win or lose -- that's what defines you," the players said to their coach. Twenty-four years after, one of the players, who was constantly reminded by a rival school teammate of them now knew that their former coach was right, that in life’s struggles, it is not effort or trying alone, but result that should matter to every youth.

You can be a great youth if you have this awareness of always striving to win early in life. Do not go in for any examination or competition for the sake of participation only, but be determined to succeed or win. Victory comes through faith in God. In everything you do, therefore, put your trust in Him, who gives peace and causes you to triumph over the negative situations of life.

Challenge: "The result of every struggle depends on God"

Prayer: "Help me o Lord, to put my trust in You"

Quote: "Be determined to succeed"

Further Reading: John 16:33

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:48am On Jul 09, 2015
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, JULY 9, 2015

DON'T FRET

"After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward" (Genesis 15:1).

Fear is the biggest problem of a largest group of people, especially youths. The fear of failure is common among youths. Others have the fear of rejection, ridicule, or being regarded as odd by their peers. Some have the fear of the future- they worry over their upkeep, probably because they are orphans or have no legitimate parents. Even if you have a very poor background, you have nothing to fear, as long as, God is your father. No matter how challenging your study may be, you can succeed, with the giver of wisdom by your side.

Put your confidence in the Almighty God and you won’t fail. Fear not because He can make you achieve great things for Him. Are you afraid to witness Jesus at evangelism? Are you afraid to identify with Christ among unbelievers? With the backing of the Holy Spirit, you can do exploits for the kingdom of God.

Challenge: "Fear should not stop you from sharing your faith to others"

Prayer: "O God, take away any fear from me"

Quote: "Fear not"

Further Reading: Daniel 10:12

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:32am On Jul 10, 2015
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, JULY 9, 2015

SHUN WORLDLINESS

"Teaching us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world" (Titus 2:12).

Worldliness is "the lust of the flesh (a passion for sensual satisfaction), the lust of the eyes (an inordinate desire for the finer things of life), and the pride of life (self-satisfaction in whom one is, what one has, and what one has achieved)." Worldliness is a preoccupation with ease and affluence. It elevates pleasure to the point of idolatry. It entails living a hedonistic life and spending too much money on oneself.

Do not indulge in worldliness, pride and selfishness; they breed resentment against others. Rather, flee such worldly practices like partying, night clubs, indecent dressing, fashion freak, and weird appearances. Delight in things that will lead you to heaven.

Challenge: "Do not strive to be like the people of the world"

Prayer: "Teach me, o Lord, to live a sober and righteous life"

Quote: "Love not the world"

Further Reading: 1 John 2:15; 1 Peter 4:1 - 2

See more at:

Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:33am On Jul 11, 2015
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, JULY 11, 2015

REBELLION, STUBBORNNESS

"For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king" (1 Samuel 15:23).

Thomas spent his time in beer parlours with bad friends every evening. He did not only shun the advice of his parents and siblings to desist from drinking and smoking but also blasphemed God while drinking with his peers. Very often, he indulged in criminal acts to get money for his alcohol and cigarettes. One day, his rebellious attitude landed him in police custody and was only rescued by his sister whom he persecuted because of her Christian life.

Rebellion against God is a gradual process that will sooner or later send you down faster and faster to destruction. Therefore, you must watch against its early signs, because once you begin, there is no guarantee that you will stop it. When Satan cannot catch you with a big sin, he will try a little one like smoking a stick of cigarette or sipping a glass of beer. Beware of the little evil of rebellion and God’s judgment.

Challenge: "Do not allow Satan to catch you with any bait"

Prayer: "O Lord, take away any rebellious spirit from me"

Quote: "The little evil of rebellion"

Further Reading: Proverbs 17:11

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:15am On Jul 13, 2015
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, JULY 12, 2015

AVOID ANXIETY

"But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows" (Luke 12:7).

An anonymous poet once wrote: "I heard a voice at evening softly say, 'Bear not your yesterdays into tomorrow, nor load this week with last week's load of sorrow. Lift all your burdens as they come, nor try. To weigh the present with the by-and-by. One step and then another, take your way; Live day by day!' The central theme of this poem is worry, which is fear's extravagance. It extracts interest on trouble before it comes. It constantly drains the energy God gives you to face daily problems and to fulfill your many responsibilities. It is therefore a sinful waste."

Instead of being anxious about your life, emulate the woman who, after living long enough to learn some important truths about life, remarked, "I've had a lot of trouble -- most of which never happened!" Like most youths today, she had worried about many things that never occurred, and had come to see the futility of anxieties. You are important to God so He will not forsake you.

Challenge: "Worries will never help you out of troubles"

Prayer: "O Lord, help me that worries will not take away my faith"

Quote: "The futility of anxieties"

Further Reading: Luke 12:27; Matthew 6:28 - 32

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:18am On Jul 13, 2015
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, JULY 13, 2015

THE ULTIMATE GATE

"This gate of the LORD, into which the righteous shall enter" (Psalm 118:20).

A gate either admits or excludes entrance of persons. The gates to a public place like a stadium usually have crowds; some going, some coming, others loitering around. In Luke 11:52, the gate of the Kingdom of God is said to have some who neither go in nor allow willing ones to enter in. They claim to have knowledge yet they are disqualified from the Kingdom of God because of their sins.

The gate of God’s Kingdom is a screening spot where undesirable persons are separated from those who wish to go in, and will not admit a youth who is a cultist, fornicator, or a liar. "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Corinthians 6:9, 10). Every youth that screens him or herself shall not be embarrassed at the gate.

Challenge: "Search yourself and drop those sins"

Prayer: "Search me, O God, and know my heart today"

Quote: "A screening spot"

Further Reading: Luke 13:23 – 28

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:50am On Jul 13, 2015
He's Alive and I'm Forgiven, Heaven's Gates are open wide! by Don Fransisco

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8yQ1I4Wofc
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:09am On Jul 14, 2015
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, JULY 14, 2015

PAY YOUR VOWS

"Offer unto God thanksgiving; and pay thy vows unto the most High" (Psalm 50:14).

As the wealthy oil tycoon lay on his deathbed, his pastor talked to him of God's healing power. "Pastor," he gasped, "if God heals me, I'll give the church a million dollars." Miraculously, the man was revived and within a few weeks, he was out of the hospital. Several months later, the following chat ensued between him and the pastor: "You know," the pastor said, "when you were in the hospital dying, you promised to give the church a million dollars if you got well. We haven't got it yet." "Did I say that?" the tycoon asked. "I guess that goes to show how sick I really was!" The tycoon’s response shows that he did not make his vow from a sincere heart, and was not ready to redeem it after God had healed him. Many youths make vows that they hardly keep. Yet, paying your vow is a command from God. Do not make any vow if you think you cannot fulfill it.

Challenge: "Avoid any vow if you are not ready to redeem it"

Prayer: "God, help me not to make any vow out of desperation"

Quote: "Vow and redeem it"

Further Reading: Psalm 116:13, 14

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:23am On Jul 15, 2015
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, JULY 15, 2015

ACT OF GRATITUDE LOST

"For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy" (2 Timothy 3:2).

Disturbed by the ingratitude of his royal court, a devout king, Benito (not real name), prepared a large banquet for his royal guests. A beggar by pre-arrangement, shuffled into the hall, sat down at the king's table, and gorged himself with food and then left without saying a word. The guests were furious and asked permission to seize the tramp and tear him into pieces for his ingratitude. The king replied: "That beggar has done only once to an earthly king what each of you does three times each day to God. You sit there at the table and eat until you are satisfied. Then you walk away without expressing one word of thanks to God."

Appreciate and do not have short memories of what your parents have done or will do for you. Ingratitude is a sin. You must have been rescued from one ugly situation or the other before. Remember to be appreciative to God and the people who rescued you.

Challenge: "Have you contributed to making thankfulness a lost act today?"

Prayer: "Make my life void of ingratitude, O Lord"

Quote: "Be appreciative"

Further Reading: Ephesians 5:20; Psalm 34:1

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:41am On Jul 16, 2015
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, JULY 16, 2015

A BRIDLED TONGUE

"I said, I will take heed to my ways that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before" (Psalms 39:1).

William Norris the American journalist, who specialized in simple but beautiful and lesson-packed poetry, once wrote: "If your lips would keep from slips, five things must you observe with care: to whom you speak; of whom you speak; and how, and when, and where." William is concerned about the destructive nature of the tongue; how like a little stick of match, it can burn an entire hill. A sharp tongue is the only edged tool that grows keener with constant use.

That is why you will often regret your speech, and never your silence, because whatever goes out of the mouth is impossible to bring back. As today’s passage says, you should seek to bridle or control your tongue, if you know that saying anything could lead to sin. It is not a crime for you to stay silent, especially when it becomes necessary.

Challenge: "The untamed tongue can be very destructive when used carelessly"

Prayer: "Help me to use my tongue wisely, O Father!"

Quote: "Control your tongue"

Further Reading: Job 27:4 - 6

See more at:

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (112) (Reply)

Christ Embassy's New Social Website / Yookos.com – Christ Embassy’s Social Networking Site.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.