Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

Higher Everyday — Love Not The World - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Higher Everyday — Love Not The World (1382648 Views)

THREAD: HIGHER EVERYDAY- DAILY GUIDE For YOUTHS With W.F.KUMUYI (deeper Life) / Nigerian Man Starts Preaching In London Bus And Is Told To Shut Up / 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (112) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:18am On May 05, 2015
Higher Everyday
Tuesday, May 5, 2015

HEAVENLY LOOKING

"...Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go in heaven" (Acts 1:10, 11)

The Scripture gives godly hints on what should attract Christian youths, especially in this modern world. You must look unto Jesus who sits at the right hand of God. True believers expect Jesus, and he will soon return to take them to Heaven, as recorded in Hebrews 9:28. The following scriptures tell us more about the return of Jesus Christ and what we ought to do: “Look to yourselves, that we lose not those things which we have wrought, but that we receive a full reward” (2 John 1:8 ). “For our conversation is in heaven; from hence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ” (Philippians 3:20). “Looking for that blessed hope and the glorious appearing of the great God and Saviour Jesus Christ (Titus 2:13). “Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat” (2 Peter3:13).

Challenge: "Look away from the pollution around you: lift up your eyes heaven-ward"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to keep my eyes on Christ, the Author and Finisher of faith"

Further Reading: 2 Peter 3:13, 14

Quotation: "Looking unto Jesus"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:13am On May 06, 2015
Higher Everyday
Wednesday, May 6, 2015

ACRES OF DIAMOND

"A land which the Lord thy God careth for: the eyes of the Lord thy God are always upon it, from the beginning of the year even unto the end of the year" (Deuteronomy 11:12)

In his thought-provoking lecture titled, "Acres of Diamond," Russell H. Conwell tells the story of one Ali Hafed, a wealthy farmer in the countryside. Hafed left farming, his family and fellows and went to a far country, searching for diamonds. There, he met poverty, hardship, and starvation, nearly losing his life. He was not content, so, he sold his farm. Immediately he did so, the man who bought it discovered acres of diamond in the farm. The discovery turn the man’s fortune and he became an instant billionaire.

A youth who cannot see great opportunities where he is, will leave a land flowing with milk to a dry place. You don’t need to migrate to any particular country to succeed. Opportunities abound in your nation. You can discover acres of diamonds there. Study and work hard and diamond will be yours. By God’s grace, your success is guaranteed in Jesus’ name.

Challenge: "God’s favour abides where faithfulness to His word abides"

Prayer: "Open my eyes, O God, to see Your spiritual and physical blessings"

Further Reading: 1 Kings 9:3 - 9

Quotation: "Your success is guaranteed"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:22am On May 07, 2015
Higher Everyday
Thursday, May 7, 2015

PROUD PHARAOH

"And Pharaoh said, Who is the LORD, that I should obey his voice to let Israel go? I know not the LORD, neither will I let Israel go" (Exodus 5:2)

In 1983, a certain president boasted that the Persian Desert would become a cemetery for American soldiers if they attempted to invade his country. This president was eventually defeated and died a miserable death. Similarly, Satan, like Pharaoh in our text, uses empty bluffs and intimidation strategies to stop people who attempt to escape from his grip. Thus, many youths have remained bound, afraid of Satan’s empty boasts.

The Bible tells “Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices,” (2 Corinthians 2:11). You must ignore Satan’s ‘devices’ and courageously seek Jesus and He will grant you freedom from drug addiction, cultism, gangsterism, or blood covenant. Confide in the nearest genuine Christian or just call upon the name of Jesus where you are now and you will receive divine deliverance.

Challenge: "Are you still frightened by Satan’s bluffs; arise and get delivered!"

Prayer: "Equip me, O Lord, with the courage to overcome satanic bondage"

Further Reading: Mark 9:17 - 27; Exodus 5:1 - 3; 12:29 – 33

Quotation: "Ignore satan’s devices"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:16pm On May 08, 2015
Higher Everyday
Friday, May 8, 2015

VITAL VIRTUE

"And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith, virtue, and to virtue knowledge, and to knowledge temperance, and to temperance, patience and to patience godliness" (2 Peter 1:5 – 6)

Virtue is a moral excellence; a character someone manifests in his or her life daily. Your personality is as a result of what is in your heart. The Lord Jesus said in Matthew 15:19 that, “For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies,” but your heart can be a place of good things which will manifest in your everyday life. Proverbs 23:7 says: "For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.” Good virtues like honesty, hard work, patience, truthfulness make you to be the best for God and man.

You will not be a failure with good virtues. The Psalmist said, "thy Word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee.” For you to be victorious in life and not be a failure you must be sure of your salvation, take heed to God's Word, seek God with your whole heart, hide God's Word in your heart, and always open to the truth. By the grace of God, by keeping to all of God's Word, you will make it.

Challenge: "As you lay your bed, so you will lie on it"

Prayer: "Lord Jesus, help me to be like you always"

Further Reading: Proverbs 4; 20 – 27

Quotation: "Virtue is a moral excellence"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:43am On May 09, 2015
Higher Everyday
Saturday, May 9, 2015

WORTHY WISDOM

"Then said I, Wisdom is better than strength: nevertheless the poor man’s wisdom is despised, and his words are not heard" (Ecclesiastes 9:16)

King Solomon was an epitome of wisdom. Queen of Sheba of Ethiopia heard his fame and decided to visit Solomon herself. She was convinced that King Solomon’s wisdom was worth it really. Today’s text emphasises that wisdom is better than strength. Solomon begins with an interesting and intriguing parable, in which a poor but wise man outsmarts a great king. Teenagers should go after sound knowledge, day by day. A wise youth will profit his/her family, school, church and nation, and the world. To what use do you put you God-given wisdom?

Heavenly wisdom is for a saved person, while sinners destroy their blessings and benefits. The scripture says, "one sinner destroyeth much good." This is true, because, as the saying goes, "One bad egg spoils the omelette." It is an abiding principle. "A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump," (1 Corinthians 5:6). Every Christian youth must be vigilant and watch against being polluted by sin which destroys godly wisdom.

Challenge: "Jesus Christ is the wisdom of God, accept Him now"

Prayer: "O Lord, give me your wisdom, please give me"

Further Reading: Ecclesiastes 9:11-18

Quotation: "Go after sound knowledge"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:45pm On May 10, 2015
Higher Everyday
Sunday, May 10, 2015

HORROR IN HELL

"But Abraham said, son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented" (Luke 16:25)

American psychiatrist Morgan Scott Peck said: “There is no worse bitterness than to reach the end of your life and realise you have not lived.” Such was the case of the rich man in our text today. The rich man, endowed with all good things, lived and enjoyed life to the fullest.
However, he discovered too late that he actually did not live. He had the idea of his relationship with the father of faith Abraham but neglected his faith.

However, the man had full consciousness in hell fire - he recognised Abraham and Lazarus. Tormented in the unquenching flame, he called Father Abraham for a drop of water, but was denied. Abraham referred to him as son, but none of his requests was answered. There are many professed “sons” in hell today. Repentance and faith in Christ are the only way to escape the horror of hell.

Challenge: "The greatest pain in hell will be the lost opportunity to make heaven"

Prayer: "Lord, give me the grace to walk the narrow path and uphold me to the end"

Further Reading: Psalm 9:17; Revelation 14:10

Quotation: "Repentance, the only way to escape"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:00pm On May 11, 2015
Higher Everyday
Monday, May 11, 2015

PATIENCE PROMOTES

"In your patience possess ye your souls" (Luke 21:19)

A Navy jet fighter shot itself down over the deserts of Nevada while testing a new cannon mounted on its wing. The plane was flying at supersonic speed, but the cannon shells were subsonic. What happened was crucial. The fighter actually ran into the shells it had fired seconds before. The jet was travelling too fast. Indeed this is jet age. The maxim "sharp, sharp," or "fast fast" has permeated every facet of youths’ daily living. Some cannot endure a long message. They get disconnected and tune off or engage in unsavoury activities and irreverent behaviours. What an untoward generation! No patience for God, self and others. Sometimes youths are too hasty to their detriment. God speaks and you have gone too slowly to hear Him.

Youths today do not know what it means to be patient and tarry before God. Quiet-Time should be enriching as you tarry before God, not snappy prayers. Don't travel too fast with your life and leave God behind, for your life may end up in ruins. Saul’s impatience cost him the Kingdom. Learn to wait, and wait patiently on the Lord.

Challenge: "Christian youth, cultivate the spirit of patience, its fruit is sweet"

Prayer: "Dear Lord Jesus, help me to be patient in all I do"

Further Reading: James 5:7 – 11

Quotation: "Wait patiently on the Lord"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:50pm On May 13, 2015
Higher Everyday
Wednesday, May 13, 2015

LIFE-LONG FOODS

"Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart" (Jeremiah 15:16)

A story was told of a young girl, Victoria, who visited her friend Grace, in company of her mother. On their arrival, Grace was taking her lunch and her mum urged her to share with Victoria, which she obeyed. Victoria’s ration was added. Apparently, Grace was eating one of her best dishes. As Grace observed that Victoria was eating beyond her expectation, she burst out in anger, saying, “eat until your belly bursts.” Victoria paid no attention but continued eating. This shows how, like Victoria, most teenagers love food. Youths love a variety of foods, and sometimes eat beyond health limits.

Today’s text reveals food that does not only make you healthy but also gives you joy, peace, and satisfaction. The Word of God is a life-giving food to souls. Jeremiah found it, ate it, and derived joy and happiness from it. How do you receive God’s Word? Do you feed on it daily? God’s Word will place you on a high pedestal to victorious Christian living. It will transform your views about life and guarantee your health, joy and peace.

Challenge: "The Bible is food for your soul, feed on it"

Prayer: "Dear Lord, create in me the hunger and thirst for Your Word"

Further Reading: Psalm 119:97 - 105

Quotation: "God’s word is life-giving food"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:52am On May 14, 2015
Higher Everyday
Thursday, May 14, 2015

THE BOOK OF BOOKS

"Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly,… his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night" (Psalm 1:1, 2)

Books are carriers of civilisation. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, and thought at a standstill. Books are humanity in print. Yes! The Holy Bible is an excellent book, transcending all books. It is a miracle of literature in its transformation, altogether inexplicable with God is its Author. “No Bible, no breakfast; No Scripture, no sleep” is a well-known maxim in Christendom.

Our text reveals that God’s blessings accrue to you if you delight in His Word, reading and meditating on it day and night. It is not enough to flip through Bible pages. You must study carefully, painstakingly and allow the Holy Spirit to reveal and apply its truth to life situations. Pray for grace to obey and live by God’s Word. Claim His promises and resolve to be faithful in serving Him. In so doing, you will be happy now and in eternity in heaven.

Challenge: "To grow in faith, you must meditate on God’s Word"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to be committed to reading and meditating on Your Word"

Further Reading: Joshua 1:8

Quotation: "God’s word is life-giving food"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:49pm On May 17, 2015
Higher Everyday
Sunday, May 17, 2015

KEY TO BLESSINGS

"Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; which is the first commandment with promise; That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth" (Ephesians 6:1 - 3)

In an article titled, “The Obedient Kid,” Anna Pettit Broomell, Emily Cooper Johnson, Elizabeth W. Collins, Alice Hall Paxson, Annie Hillborn, and Anna D. White write how a goat was half afraid to leave her pretty little kid in a stable by herself. But the goat was obliged to go out to get food. "My dear, I am going to fetch a cabbage and a lettuce for your dinner. Do not go out while I am away. Lock the door of our stable, and do not open it to anyone who knocks.” The kid obeyed. A hungry wolf thought it was time to eat up the kid when the goat left, but when it went to the door with a bounce, he could not get in. The kid’s obedience saved his life.

Today’s text admonishes that God expects youths to obey and honour their parents. Determine to live in obedience to your guardians, teachers and leaders. Most importantly, give your life to Christ, for great obedience brings great rewards.

Challenge: "Be obedient and harvest the blessings of God"

Prayer: "Dear Lord, help me to imbibe the virtue of obedience"

Further Reading: Proverbs 1:7 - 9

Quotation: "Obedience brings great rewards"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:12pm On May 19, 2015
Higher Everyday
Tuesday, May 19, 2015

A NOBLE DECISION

"I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee." (Luke 15:18)

A famous writer said, “Sometimes you have to reach your lowest point to understand who God is and what He can do for you,” says. This is the case with the lost son in the preceding verses of our text. This young man chose to live a prodigal life, away from home. He eventually lost everything and ended up in a pigpen. He realised he was in the wrong place after wasting his resources in riotous living. He acted promptly, deciding to return to his father and ask for forgiveness for his sin of rebellion. This he did, and his father restored him to his rightful status. What a noble decision to return home! The Bible says in Romans 3:23: “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, including youths. Like the prodigal son, make a noble decision today and come to the Lord. Confess your sins to God and receive Christ as your personal Lord and Saviour. God will surely receive you and grant you the status of a son.

Challenge: "Some straying youths are reluctant to arise and go to Jesus today."

Prayer: "Help me, Lord, to surrender my life to You without further delay."

Further Reading: Luke 15:11 - 24.

Quotation: "Ask for forgiveness"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:54am On May 20, 2015
Higher Everyday
Wednesday, May 20, 2015

GOD-GIVEN HEALTH

"Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth" (3 John 1:2)

A Consumer Health Care Company raised an alarm over rising cases of chronic diseases linked with poor oral hygiene. The revelations called for precautionary measures in personal oral hygiene among the people. The adage, "prevention is better than cure," is of utmost importance to oral health. Studies reveal that good oral hygiene prevents chronic diseases, and show possible association between chronic oral infections and diabetes, heart and lung diseases.

Today's text shows how God is interested in the healing and health of all believers. Time pressure notwithstanding, you must maintain good oral hygiene, because God has freely given you good health. Brush your mouth at least twice daily - after breakfast and before retiring to bed at night, using recommended toothbrush and toothpaste. Minimise the intake of sweets and avoid the use of sharp objects on your teeth. Take enough fruits and vegetables, and make it a habit to always visit the dentist and report any discomfort promptly. God also expects you to maintain a healthy spiritual life.

Challenge: "Don't neglect maintaining a good oral hygiene"

Prayer: "Help me, o Lord, to take good care of my health"

Further Reading: Isaiah 52:11

Quotation: "Take enough fruits, vegetables"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:33am On May 21, 2015
Higher Everyday
Thursday, May 21, 2015

VAGUE VISION

"Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he" (Proverbs 29:18)

In his article,"“Blinded By Lack of Vision," Jim Mathis writes that in the 1880's, George Eastman invented a process for applying a photographic emulsion to flexible film. He soon brought out a simple camera he called "The Kodak" to take advantage of this new photographic film. This little camera changed the world by allowing anyone to take pictures and gave birth to the photofinishing industry that thrived for many decades.
Almost exactly 100 years later, his namesake business – the Eastman Kodak Company – invented digital photography. Instead of seeing a dramatic new technology and envisioning how it could enhance the photographic industry, Kodak saw digital imaging only as a threat to their core business of making film. They obviously lacked vision.

A visionary youth focuses on his career and is determined to attain it, failure or disappointment notwithstanding. Today’s text says, where there is no vision, the people perish. What a challenge to you! To succeed in life, you must have a goal and resolve to accomplish it. Don’t be intimidated by limitations, but trust God and live for Him.

Challenge: "Don’t allow limitations mar your vision"

Prayer: "Father, help me to depend on you as I pursue my life’s vision"

Further Reading: Acts 20:17 - 24

Quotation: "You must have a goal"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:03pm On May 22, 2015
Higher Everyday
Friday, May 22, 2015

DON’T QUIT

"Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, the LORD shall be a light unto me" (Micah 7:8.)

Someone once said, "Your best days are ahead, because your future is not tied to what you've lost. No, it is right in front of you, so rise up and seize it." In our contemporary world, many accomplished men and women experience initial setbacks, discouragements, disappointments and frustrations. They have genuine reasons to quit their visions, but they remain dogged and become successful. John Wesley, Winston Churchill, Martin Luther and Ben Carson, among others, recognised quitting as the greatest enemy to success and refused to quit.

What about you? You may currently be experiencing some difficulties in securing admission into tertiary institution, sponsorship in pursuit of your career, securing employment, or making headway in your Christian life. Whatever challenge you are experiencing now, do not quit. Quitters don't succeed, and successful youths don't quit. Turn your eyes upon Jesus and Give your life to Him. He will turn your challenges to motivators, and guide you to your desired end.

Challenge: "Don’t quit; remain dogged with you vision"

Prayer: "O Lord, help fix my eyes on you, not on my challenges"

Further Reading: Psalm 37:23 - 27; Proverbs 24:16

Quotation: "Successful youth don’t quit"

See more at:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:03pm On May 23, 2015
Higher Everyday
Saturday, May 23, 2015

GLITTERING GLORY

"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us" (Romans 8:18)

You've heard it before: "If at first you don't succeed, try again." Sometimes you may feel like, that's just a saying, but it is absolutely not. Certain incredible stories show how even horrible tragedies and setbacks can help fuel a drive for success. From Oprah Winfrey's and Albert Einstein’s scarred childhood to Bill Gates' failed business ventures, these people have been through the grinder, and came out better than before. Their stories stress one of the most important lessons of life: Never ever give up. The world is full of adversities, but for a child of God, it is well, whatever the situation. Moses and our Lord Jesus Christ endured adversities.

Our text reassures Christian youths that the present sufferings and discomfort cannot be compared with the bliss of heaven. No matter the persecution, injustice and mockery from teachers, schoolmates, colleagues and unbelievers around you, remain faithful and resolute in serving the Lord. Be encouraged because God has promised that He will never leave or forsake you.

Challenge: "Remain faithful and resolute in serving the Lord"

Prayer: "Lord, grant me the grace to endure till the end"

Further Reading: Hebrews 12:1 - 14

Quotation: "Remain youthful and resolute"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:36pm On May 24, 2015
Higher Everyday
Sunday, May 24, 2015

HOLISTIC HEALTH

"Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth" (3 John 2)

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), health is more than the absence of a disease. Health is a state of optimal wellbeing that goes beyond the curing of an illness to one of achieving wellness. American Holistic Health Association, AHHA, states that achieving wellness requires the balancing of various factors that constitute the whole person, that is, physical, emotional, mental and spiritual. Thus, holistic health is achieved when there is unity and harmony within the mind, body and spirit. A Professor of Pharmacology states that the more plant-based foods you eat, the healthier you are.

The Bible says in Isaiah 55:2: "Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? Hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness." Heed this admonition and eat good foods. Avoid junk foods and fizzy drinks. Eat healthy foods always and live for God, and you will be strong and healthy to achieve your God-ordained goals.

Challenge: "Don’t spend your limited resources on junk foods"

Prayer: "Gracious Father, help me to be wise in choosing my foods"

Further Reading: Daniel 1:8 - 16

Quotation: "Avoid junk foods and drinks"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:35am On May 25, 2015
Higher Everyday
Monday, May 25, 2015

SIN WITHIN, WITHOUT

"Whosoever committeth sin transgressth also the law for sin is the transgression of the law" (1 John 3:4)

A farmer went to harvest yam tubers, which he had planted some months back. As he pulled out the old buried yam, he found out that a new, beautiful, and attractive tuber came out, good for his family use. Other old tubers he had planted at the same time were now rotten, stinking and infested with dangerous insects like scorpions and millipedes. The farmer abandoned the rotten tubers and returned home a happy man to celebrate the wonderful harvest with his family.

The farmer here represents God, while the new yam tuber refers to the believing and sinless youth whose life has been regenerated. Meanwhile, the old, rotten and infested tubers are youths still living in such sins as bad language, poor dressing, malice, anger, fornication, lie-telling, and examination malpractice. Today’s text warns that any youth who commits sin transgresses the law. And remember that the life of a transgressor is rotten and stinking in the sight of God. If you still live in sin, repent and follow Christ, because you are living a lawless life that attracts God’s wrath.

Challenge: "Run away from sin for it damns the soul"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to live a life without sin"

Further Reading: Romans 6:14 – 18

Quotation: "Transgressor is rotten and stinking"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:05am On May 26, 2015
Higher Everyday
Tuesday, May 26, 2015

WILL YOU WAIT?

"The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD" (Lamentations 3:25)

Aristotle holds that: "Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet." Considering the long and difficult process it takes a butterfly to emerge from its cocoon, a devotional writer said, "if you try to rush God’s purpose and process in your life, you will produce something deformed, something that cannot get off the ground and fly." It is commonsense that good things come to those who wait. If this adage is true of men, how much more of God? Humility and patience are necessary virtues which enhance the ability to wait for God’s will in one’s life.

Dear youth, are you patiently waiting for God’s will for your life? Our text says that God is good to those who wait on Him. No matter the challenges you are facing, don’t give up. Be patient, hold unto Him and He will change your situation for good. Don’t yield to social vices, ungodly influence and pressures, satanic manipulations, anxiety, fear, worry and impatience. Rather, focus on God and walk by faith.

Challenge: "Do you remember to walk by faith and not by sight?"

Prayer: "Increase my faith, o Lord to prevail over challenges"

Further Reading: Psalm 27:7 - 14

Quotation: "Don’t give up"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:37am On May 27, 2015
Higher Everyday
Wednesday, May 27, 2015

J E S U S ONLY!

"For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake" (2 Corinthians 4:5)

A Missionary once testified how his many years of toiling in a particular region yielded few converts. Challenged by the outcome of his labour, he decided to change his approach in presenting the gospel to the people. Instead of struggling to win debates and arguments, he decided to simply share the love of Christ to the people. He also emphasised the power of the gospel in the life of those who believe in Christ. Consequently, more people believed the gospel and received Christ as their Lord and Saviour.

Our text, declares that Apostle Paul preached not himself but Christ Jesus the Lord, an example that every Christian youth should follow. As a Christian youth, know the Word of God. Always be ready to share the gospel with fellow youths at school, on campus, at work, at home and everywhere. As you share the gospel, avoid debates and arguments which could lead to strife and distractions. Like Apostle Paul, let Christ be your central message, and the reward will be bumper harvest of souls for the kingdom.

Challenge: "Arise, go and preach the gospel to fellow youths?"

Prayer: "Use me, O Lord, to bring other youths into Your Kingdom"

Further Reading: 2 Timothy 4:1 - 8

Quotation: "Avoid arguments and distractions"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:50am On May 27, 2015
♫ Hymn of the Week ♫

J.E.S.U.S ONLY IS OUR MESSAGE (GHS 73)

1. Jesus only is our Message,
Jesus all our theme shall be;
We will lift up Jesus ever
Jesus Only will we see.

Jesus only, Jesus ever,
Jesus all in all we sing;
Saviour, Sanctifier, Healer,
Baptizer and coming King

2. Jesus only is our Saviour,
All our guilt He bore away;
All our righteousness He gives us,
All our strength from day to day.

3. Jesus is our Sanctifier,
Cleansing us from self and sin;
And with all His Spirit’s fulness,
Filling all our hearts within.

4. Jesus only is our Healer,
All our sicknesses He bare;
And His risen life and fulness,
All His members still may share.

5. Jesus only is our Power,
His the gift of Pentecost;
Jesus, breathe Thy power upon us,
Fill us with the Holy Ghost.

6. And for Jesus we are waiting,
Listening for the trumpet’s sound;
Then it will be us and Jesus,
Living ever with our God.

See more Hymns & Songs HERE:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:46pm On May 28, 2015
Higher Everyday
Thursday, May 28, 2015

A FEARLESS FRIEND

"For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake" (John 15:13, 14)

Commenting on love, Matthew Henry wrote that the Spirit of God is the Spirit of love, and that he who does not love the image of God in his people, has no saving knowledge of Him. For it is God's nature to be kind, and to give happiness. Ruth in the Bible demonstrated unfeigned love to her mother-in-law Naomi at a critical period by being friendly and clinging to her. Naomi tried to discourage her gesture, but we are told in Ruth 1:16, 17 that Ruth vowed to risk her life by following her all the way, suffering and dying with her.

What a challenge to you reading this now. Our text presents Jesus as the best friend of every youth. He loves you beyond Ruth’s love for Naomi. He died for you to save you from your sins. He cares for you more than anyone else. Jesus is interested in you, and committed to your all-round success and well-being. Give Him your heart today. He will receive you and be your True Friend. Don’t reject His love.

Challenge: "Jesus longs to be your friend, give Him your heart"

Prayer: "Father, help me reciprocate the love of Jesus, my Lord and Saviour"

Further Reading: Ruth 1:8 - 18

Quotation: "Avoid arguments and distractions"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:03pm On May 29, 2015
Higher Everyday
Friday, May 29, 2015

JUMP FOR JOY

"And Jabez was more honourable than his brethren: and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, Because I bare him with sorrow" (1 Chronicle 4:9)

Writing recently about joy, Rick Warren defined it as, “the settled assurance that God is in control of all the details of my life, the quiet confidence that ultimately everything is going to be alright, and the determined choice to praise God in every situation.” Every day of your life, wonderful, good things happen that bring pleasure, contentment and beauty to you. At the exact same time, painful things happen to you or those you love, that disappoint you, hurt you, and fill you with sorrow.

The name Jabez in our text means 'sorrow.' Although his situation was so unpleasant, he recognised that there was nothing prayer could not do. In 1 Chronicle 4:10, like Hannah, he cried to the God of Israel and He granted him his request by changing his sorrow to joy, and limitation to promotion. Your present setback can turn to success, if you can seek God in prayer, like Jabez. But remember that the prayer of sinners is abomination to God. Therefore, you must give your heart to God first.

Challenge: "The prayer of the righteous changes situations"

Prayer: "O Lord, give me a prayerful spirit"

Further Reading: 1 Samuel 1: 6 – 23

Quotation: "Setback can turn to success"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:31am On May 30, 2015
Higher Everyday
Saturday, May 30, 2015

READY-MADE RIGHTEOUSNESS

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled" (Matthew 5:6)

According to Microsoft Encarta Dictionary 2009, routing means to direct or arrange for somebody or something to follow a particular course. The acceptable course to route for in life is righteousness because you stand to achieve a lot in life through righteousness. Think about the following benefits of righteousness from the Book of Proverbs: (a) righteousness delivers from death (10:2; 11:6); (b) righteousness directs (11:5); (c) righteousness brings sure reward (11:18); (d) righteousness tends to life (11:19); (e) righteousness keeps in the way (13:6); (f) righteousness exalts (14:34); (g) righteousness obtains the love of the Lord (15:9).

You should hunger and thirst after righteousness, which comes not by struggling or by works of flesh, but by faith through the righteousness of God. His Word gives instruction for righteousness. Today, any youth who thirsts shall be filled with righteousness. Take a step of faith now and you will never be the same again.

Challenge: "The righteous will enjoy fellowship with God"

Prayer: "Fill me, o Lord, with Your righteousness"

Further Reading: Romans 4: 1 – 8

Quotation: "Take a step of faith now"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:07am On May 31, 2015
Higher Everyday
Sunday, May 31, 2015

THE POWER OF THE WORD

"As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word that ye may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

The great writer and evangelist/missionary, Randy Bataanon, in his article, "12 BLESSINGS FROM OBEYING THE WORD OF GOD," enumerates some of the benefits that accrue from obeying the Word of God. He says if youths are the future of nations, then we have to ask the legitimate question: "How can a young man keep his way pure?" His answer is: "By living according to Your Word." There are infinite blessings that accrue from obeying the Word of God. Randy listed 12 of them based on his observation from this precious chapter, some of which are as follows: It establishes your dignity and honour; preserves your ways pure, insulates from the worldly influence; protects your mind and maintain your integrity; gives you strength and comfort in sorrow; and gives you hope in time of suffering.

A Christian youth should handle his work with one hand, and the Word of God with the other, reading it daily; for the more you grow in the Word, the more you will be empowered to do the Will of God, and live a victorious life.

Challenge: "Studying the Word of God will make you wiser"

Prayer: "Father, give me the grace to obey Your Word"

Further Reading: Acts 20:32

Quotation: "Empowered to do God’s will"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:00pm On Jun 01, 2015
Higher Everyday
Monday, June 1, 2015

HARDENED HEART

"Harden not your heart, as in provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness" (Psalm 95:8.)

A standing fan was taken to an electrician for repairs. The electrician wanted to check the transformer and proffer solution to the problem of the fan but a particular nut was too hard to loosen due to rust. The electrician had to apply some oil to it and unscrewed until the nut came off and the fan was repaired. Such is the heart of many a sinner youth - unyielding to God’s Word and advice of parents and teachers. The text of today is a command against hardening of our hearts against the gospel message of Christ.

The Bible says, "He, that being often reproved, hardeneth his neck, shall suddenly be destroyed, and that without remedy." Are you a hardened sinner? There is hope. God promised to replace any heart of stone with a heart of flesh. The blood of Jesus makes the dirty sinner clean. Repent now and invite Jesus into your heart. If you are saved, help to bring hardened sinners to Christ.

Challenge: "Pharaoh hardened his heart to his own damnation"

Prayer: "Lord, deliver me from hardening of heart, in Jesus’ name!"

Further Reading: Hebrews 3:7 – 13

Quotation: "Invite Jesus into your heart"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:23am On Jun 02, 2015
Higher Everyday
Tuesday, June 2, 2015

DEADLY DISEASE

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" (Romans 6:23)

The world is plagued with all sorts of dreaded and terminal diseases today, prominent among them the Ebola Virus Disease, which is more deadly than HIV/AIDS that has ravaged most countries. Unfortunately, there is yet no medically certified cure for Ebola. After spending one month in Nigeria fighting Ebola, Dr Aileen Marty of the World Health Organisation, on her return to Florida International University in the US, said: "The first thing in caring for someone with Ebola is to do everything in your power to never become a victim." That shows how serious the situation is. Yet, sin is even more deadly.

Death sentence hangs on the neck of anyone who commits sin – eternal damnation in hell fire. Sadly enough, many youths are becoming victims of sin every day, despite God’s Word warning us to "Abstain from all appearance of evil." With God, Ebola is not a death sentence, so also is sin. Sin separates from God. Your freedom is possible if you simply confess, repent of all sins and accept Christ as your Lord and Saviour today.

Challenge: "Hearken diligently to the voice of the LORD"

Prayer: "LORD, give me grace to run away from sin"

Further Reading: Romans 6:1 - 14

Quotation: "Sin separates from God"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:45pm On Jun 03, 2015
Higher Everyday
Wednesday, June 3, 2015

THE LAW-GIVER LESSONS

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our King; He will save us" (Isaiah 33:22)

Whether in the Old or New Testament, Gods’ law is inseparable, an expression of His love, and a transcript of His character. Therefore, the laws, which reveal the character of God, who doesn't change, shouldn't change either. What does this mean? Suppose you lived in a land with a king whose word was law and the king issued laws that were repressive, nasty, hateful, unfair, and discriminatory. Would not those laws be a good representation of the kind of person the king was; would they not reveal his character?

Think through some of history's despots. How did the laws they passed reveal what kind of people they were? In this sense, the law reveals the character of the lawgiver. What then does God’s law reveal about God? When you understand God’s laws as a hedge, a protection, something created for you, for your own good, then you come to understand more about what God is like.

Challenge: "God demands your total allegiance to Him"

Prayer: "Father, help me to be subject and obedience to your laws"

Further Reading: Proverbs 6: 20 - 23

Quotation: "God’s laws as a hedge"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:03am On Jun 04, 2015
Higher Everyday
Thursday, June 4, 2015

TENDER BUT WONDERFUL

"Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee" (Isaiah 49:15)

Guinness Book of 2001 records Mrs Feodor Vassilyev of Shuya, Russia, as one single woman who gave birth to 69 children in 27 births between 1725 and 1765. Babies are very tender creatures, especially when a mother has more than one at a time. They look fragile; yet, God made complete hands, legs, and head which would make them develop into great strong adults. How wonderful our God the Creator is? His tender love toward you cannot be quantified. It’s so broad and wide. A baby in the caring arms of his mummy does not fear; he feeds freely from her milk to grow healthily.

Similarly, a youth who has just repented must trust God for the supply of his spiritual milk and solid food for healthy growth. Doctors, nurses, nannies and grown up youths should support new born babies, too. However, God provides for your sustenance. Only surrender your life to Jesus and it shall be well with you.

Challenge: "Babies are God’s wonders. Praise the Lord!"

Prayer: "God help me to remember how fragile I am"

Further Reading: Luke 2: 5-11

Quotation: "It shall be well with you"

See more at:

1 Like

Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:12am On Jun 05, 2015
Higher Everyday
Friday, June 5, 2015

YOUR TIME

"Remember now thy creator in the days of thy youth. While the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shall say, I have no pleasure in them" (Ecclesiastes 12:1)

Arnold Bennett said, "Time is the inexplicable raw material of everything. With it, all is possible; without it, nothing. The supply of time is truly a daily miracle, an affair genuinely astonishing when one examines it… It is the most precious of possessions... No one can take it from you. It is not something that can be stolen. And no one receives either more or less than you receive." However, it is said that time flies, because it ticks away in seconds, minutes, hours, days, months and years. Any portion of time you fail to use is gone forever.

Therefore, daily spend your time usefully, reading your academic books, the Bible and good religious literatures, working with your hands, acquiring useful skills, exercising and resting well. Our text warns that we should remember God in our youth. Notable Christian ministers like: Billy Graham, TL Osborn, David Yonggi Cho and Mary Slessor, started serving God from their youth. Now is the time to consecrate your life to God.

Challenge: "As if you could kill time without injuring eternity!"

Prayer: "Lord, give me grace to utilise my time judiciously"

Further Reading: Ecclesiastes 3:1 - 11

Quotation: "Spend your time usefully"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:42am On Jun 06, 2015
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, JUNE 6, 2015

FALLEN FLOWER

"For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away" (1 Peter 1:24)

Philip Pirrip, in Charles Dickens' Great Expectations, wasted his youthful years chasing a beautiful young lady, Estella. Freshness of youth, beauty of form and the privilege of delicate upbringing made Estella larger than life in lowly Philip's mind. She was the one that filled his dreams and turned the wheels of his life always beyond him. Years later, they met again and Philip noticed that the sparkle of beauty in Estella had vanished; her once proud eyes were now subdued and softened by the sadness of an unfortunate marriage, and she had become a fallen flower.

External beauty is nothing; yet, many youths are in pursuit of it! So-called beauty parlours have become global business centres today, filled mainly with energetic youths. Such youths spend their time and fortune here to secure a fleeting quality, something that cannot pass the test of time. How about you? A beautiful face is vain without grace, holiness of heart, purity, humility and quietness of spirit. These are enduring fruits of a saved soul. Cultivate inner beauty and pray for salvation now!

Challenge: "Christ within is beauty indeed!"

Prayer: "Stamp your image deep on my heart, oh my Lord"

Further Reading: Proverbs 31:29 - 31

Quote: "Cultivate inner beauty"

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:14pm On Jun 07, 2015
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, JUNE 7, 2015

A Daily Devotional Guide - Higher Everyday sets out to provide spiritual nourishment for the VICTORIOUS YOUTH OF THIS GENERATION who truly seeks God and would walk closely with Him. It's an extraction of God's word, and mainly serves to draw the sincere Youth seeker closer to God on a daily basis.

A LITTLE LEAVEN

"Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?" (1 Corinthians 5:6)

A leaven is any substance or material that modifies or corrupts another material. For instance, leaven causes dough or bread to rise. In our text today, Apostle Paul warns on the danger facing ignorant Christians who allow even the smallest sin in their lives. This is because sin can ruin one’s academics, career and good Christian character. Some youths fall into the temptation of believing that a little lie, a glass of beer, stealing of a ballpoint pen in school, or secretly taking a little sum of money from one’s parents do not matter. But, they do, because all unrighteousness is sin.

Remember, once a flash is infected with a virus, it is just a matter of time before all the files inside are corrupted with bitter consequences. In the case of sin, the consequence is eternal damnation in the lake of fire. Moreover, a single individual may start a sinful act but it can spread to others, like a plague. So, make up your mind to stand out for Christ and not be corrupted by the world.

Challenge: "I will not join the multitude to do evil!"

Prayer: "O God, help me to avoid sinful pressures, in Jesus name"

Quote: "Sin can ruin your life"

Further Reading: Numbers 25: 1 – 3

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Love Not The World by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:48am On Jun 08, 2015
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, JUNE 8, 2015

BACK TO CALVARY?

"And God said unto Jacob go up to Bethel and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God, that appeared unto thee when thou fleddest from the face of Esau thy brother?" (Genesis 35:1)

Bethel is a place of worship and renewal of commitment and consecration. It was the place where Jacob passed the night and had a dream of angelic visitation on his way to Haran. Genesis 28:19 – 22 records that he piled up stones for his pillow, and after seeing the night’s vision of the angels descending and ascending a ladder, he called the name of the place Bethel, and promised to return to worship God there, which he did.

What a joyful day it must have been? It was an experience similar to that when the Lord turned the captivity of Zion and they said: "Then, was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing." Anyone who has left his or her first love for God should go back for renewal. Have you backslidden? Go back to Cavalry for cleansing and restoration, which is the only option for peace with God. A hymn writer wrote, "I've wandered far away from God, now I am coming home.” Heaven rejoices over returnees. Pray and make peace with God again.

Challenge: "It is easier to backslide than to return"

Prayer: "O Lord, take me back to the place where I first received you"

Quote: "Now I am coming home"

Further Reading: Genesis 35:1 – 7

See more at:

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (112) (Reply)

Christ Embassy's New Social Website / Yookos.com – Christ Embassy’s Social Networking Site.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.