Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,808 members, 7,802,584 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:47 PM

Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts - Religion (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts (1376504 Views)

THREAD: HIGHER EVERYDAY- DAILY GUIDE For YOUTHS With W.F.KUMUYI (deeper Life) / Nigerian Man Starts Preaching In London Bus And Is Told To Shut Up / 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (112) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:38pm On Jan 12, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, JANUARY 12, 2017

PRAISE AND PRAY

"Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees" (Hebrews 12:12).

Weak hands and feeble knees! That depicts a picture of helplessness, powerlessness and weakness. It is the picture of one who is weighed down by the burdens of affliction, suffering and challenges of life. If you live long enough on earth, you may come to that point one day. You may reach a point where the hands become limp and hang low and the knees become feeble and unable to carry your weight.

Here are two recommendations for you at such a time like this — Prayer and praise. They are two mighty weapons to employ at the time of weakness and vulnerability. When your own strength cannot sustain you, look unto the Rock of Ages.

When Jehoshaphat was overwhelmed by the threat of invading superior armies, he resorted to the weapons of prayer and praise. "And when they began to sing and to praise, the LORD ambushed the invaders which were come against Judah; and they were smitten" (2 Chronicles 20:22). You can lift up holy hands and praise God now!

Challenge: "God is a present help in the hour of need"

Prayer: "Lord, I depend on you in the hour of weakness"

Quote: "Lift up holy hand and praise God"

Further Reading: Isaiah 35:3-7

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:18am On Jan 13, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, JANUARY 13, 2017

GOD IS MOULDING ME

"But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand" (Isaiah 64:8.).

"Many people look in the mirror and see someone they don't like very much. They see faults, flaws and failures. They feel shame, embarrassment and may be even anger toward themselves." That was the submission of a renowned psychologist and she was right.

Many youths live in this world. They are constantly disturbed and dismayed about their appearance, performance and social status. They have low self-esteem. Maybe you live in this world, too.

There is a message from the Lord for you today. Do not worry when you notice some discrepancies between your expectations and your observations. You are a work in progress. You are yet in the process of becoming. The clay may appear marred in the hands of the potter today. But never mind. The Great Architect knows what He is doing. Trust His wisdom and skill. You will come out fine. Do not suppose that what you are today is what you will always be. There is scope for change. Cooperate with the Potter and He will make you what He wants you to be.

Challenge: "You are a work in progress"

Prayer: "Lord, I submit to your moulding hands"

Quote: "The Great Architect knows what He is doing"

Further Reading: Jeremiah 18:1-6

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:52am On Jan 14, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, JANUARY 14, 2017

BEAR YOUR CROSS

"And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple" (Luke 14:27).

Cross bearing is one of the doctrines that turn off many Christians because of the demands that go with it. It has to do with inconveniences, deprivation, and sacrifices that we have to bear or undergo for the sake of the Lord Jesus.

Bearing your cross requires a definite choice because Jesus wasted no time to get to the heart of what it means to bear one's cross. It is either the disciples would deny their desires or they would be determined to go their own ways and deny Him.

Paul bore his own cross. He was jailed, starved, beaten, stoned and ridiculed because of his love for God. Ruth bore hers by choosing to abandon her country and her people in order to follow Naomi to have access to the living God. Bearing your cross will definitely limit your choices because it is exclusive and demands absolute commitment.

Remember a servant cannot be greater than his master. Jesus carried the heaviest cross for your salvation. So, be ready to carry yours. His grace is available for you to bear your cross.

Challenge: "The way of the cross leads home"

Prayer: "Lord, teach me to bear my cross"

Quote: "Bearing your cross requires a definite choice"

Further Reading: Luke 9:23-26

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:11pm On Jan 15, 2017
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, JANUARY 15, 2017

BENEFITS OF HIS BRUISES

"But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed" (Isaiah 53:5).

The vicarious death of Christ on the cross of Calvary avails humanity unquantifiable benefits. Man as a result of sin lost the glorious and uninterrupted relationship with God and was in dire need of a bridge to connect him back to God and the benefits he enjoyed before the broken relationship. Jesus voluntarily offered Himself to bring man back by submitting Himself to pain and agony of death.

Today, the vilest or the chief of sinners can find refuge in God and be accepted as if he has never done any evil before, because the Prince of peace paid the price of reconciliation with God. Unfortunately, many youths go about without realising the great and innumerable benefits they have in Christ.

Turn to God in genuine repentance and receive that assurance of one of those qualified to enjoy all the benefits of redemption. God is ready to save you from sin, sickness, Satan, academic failures and other problems, if you receive Him today.

Challenge: "Jesus voluntarily offered Himself to bring man back"

Prayer: "Heal me, oh Lord and I will be healed"

Quote: "Enjoy all the benefits of redemption"

Further Reading: 1 Peter 2:22-25

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:14pm On Jan 16, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, JANUARY 16, 2017

SECOND CHANCE

"And the word of the Lord came unto Jonah the second time, saying, Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee" (Jonah 3:1-2).

Lance Armstrong, the famous cyclist and more strikingly, a cancer survivor says: "If you ever got a second chance for something, you've got to go all the way." Life experiences put before us avalanche of opportunities of second chances.

A student fails a test and his or her teacher, out of magnanimity gives a second chance to the student to write another one. A person convicted of crime and granted state pardon is released to go and have a second chance of re-ordering his life. These are all wonderful experiences of second chances but are just for this life which is short. If mortal men give second chances, God does more.

He is the God of a second chance. If you have ruined your life with sin, God is ready to give a second chance to amend your ways. He gave Jonah an opportunity to retrace his steps. He can do it for you if only you can repent sincerely and retrace your sliding steps. And if you dropped the work that God gave you to do, pick it up again.

Challenge: "A faithful Christian does not need a second chance"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to retrace my sliding steps"

Quote: "God is ready to give you a second chance"

Further Reading: Jonah 3:1-10

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:05pm On Jan 17, 2017
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, JANUARY 17, 2017

REFUSE TO REVENGE

"Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing" (1 Peter 3:9).

Philip Yancey, describing forgiveness as an unnatural act, says, "You don't find dolphins forgiving sharks for eating their play mates. It's a dog-eat-dog world - not a dog-forgive-dog world."

Youths by their nature and the devil's work can be erratic in their reactions to offences, often trying to retaliate. "Forgiveness is so hard because the devil puts forth all his efforts to keep the memory of the pain there, lest we should forgive each other," wrote David Yonggi Cho.

Our text warns against revenge and encourages love and forgiveness. God expects us to love and forgive those who hate us. David had several opportunities to kill Saul who was after his life but refused to revenge. He allowed God to avenge him. Like David, allow God to fight your battles. You can forgive heartily if you are born again. You can surrender to Christ now and your Christian calling will be fulfilled, other youths will be drawn to Christ and God will be pleased with you as you manifest a forgiving attitude.

Challenge: "Learn to forgive your offenders"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to overcome evil with good"

Quote: "Forgive your offenders"

Further Reading: Romans 12:17-21

See more at:

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:26pm On Jan 18, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 18, 2017

THE NEW MAN'S WAYS

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new" (2 Corinthians 5:17).

A story was told of a boy who joined a gang while in primary school. He absconded from home at age 12 and was trapped in gangsterism and drug offences. He eventually returned home but could not adjust having been expelled from school. By divine providence, he enrolled in another school where he heard the gospel message, gave his life to Christ and experienced a new life.

"The Bible teaches that when a person comes to Christ, a change takes place that is reflected in everything he does," says Billy Graham. Read this, "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD" (Isaiah 55:8.).

If you have surrendered your life to Christ then you are a "new man" and it must show in your ways: character, conduct and relationships. Your thoughts and ways will become God's. Praise be to God! If you are still a sinner, repent today, and Christ will give you a new life and power to go and sin no more.

Challenge: "Forsake your old sinful life and embrace Christ"

Prayer: "Father, help me put off the old man for the new man"

Quote: "Live for Christ"

Further Reading: Colossians 3:1-17

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:46pm On Jan 19, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, JANUARY 19, 2017

NOT BY NUMBER

"Thus saith the LORD unto you, Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God's" (2 Chronicles 20:15).

In 1792, the Duke of Brunswick, Commander in-chief of the allied army during the French Revolution threatened to reduce Paris to ashes with about ninety thousand men. Shortly after his threat, the blast of God destabilised him and in the same year almost all his army was destroyed by a fatal disease and himself obliged to retreat. This incident affirms God's promise, in our text, to fight for His children.

Beloved, are you presently overwhelmed by enemies in your school, community, place of work or family? God says, "Be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God's." He has promised to contend with those who contend with you.

Like King Jehoshaphat, seek the Lord when threatened by adversaries and He will fight for you. Remember that you are the apple of God's eye and whatever touches you touches Him. So, fear not. You are in the majority if God be with you.

Challenge: "God in you is greater than your adversaries"

Prayer: "Dear Lord, help me to depend on you as my Defence"

Quote: "You are in the majority if God be with you"

Further Reading: 1 Samuel 14:6-17; Isaiah 49:24-26

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:01am On Jan 21, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, JANUARY 20, 2017

GUIDANCE FOR THE GOOD

"The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way" (Palms 37:23).

St. Nicholas Church, Galway, 1320, is the oldest Church in Ireland. It provides guidance in a practical way. The Church towers over the town, and its steeple is used by captains of ships to navigate safely into Galway Bay. For centuries, this Church has reliably pointed the way home for sailors.

Like these sailors, every youth needs guidance in his/her life journey. Our text declares God as the Guide of those who delight in His ways. Who is your Guide?

Everyone needs God's guidance in this world of confusion, insecurity, wickedness, pollution, defilement and other challenges. As the sailors focused on the Church tower and its steeple for safe navigation, so should we focus on God, our Guide, in all areas of our lives.

Christian child, God will help you to excel as He guides you by His Holy Spirit, His word and through prayer in your academics, career, vocation and spiritual life. Abandon yourself to God, remain faithful to Him and you will reach your safe harbour.

Challenge: "Make God your Guide and you will excel"

Prayer: "Help me Lord, to live my life under your guidance"

Quote: "God is your Guide"

Further Reading: Psalm 32:8; John 16:13

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:45pm On Jan 21, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, JANUARY 21, 2017

COURAGE OVERCOMES FEAR
TEXT: 1 SAMUEL 17:32

"And David said to Saul, Let no man's heart fail because of him; thy servant will go and fight with this Philistine" (1 Samuel 17:32).

The Oxford English Dictionary describes fear as an unpleasant sensation caused by nearness of danger or pain, while courage is the ability to control fear when facing danger or pain.

In our text, we see David display great courage when Israel was gripped with fear in their battle with the Philistines. Goliath, the dreaded warrior and champion of the Philistine army, had frightened Saul, King of Israel, and his army through derisive propaganda. Israel required a man with godly courage to confront Goliath and the Philistine army. David was the man. Plautus said, "Courage in danger is half the battle."

You need faith in God to develop godly courage to overcome your fears and challenges of life. As a Christian, you are in a spiritual warfare with Satan who is more powerful than Goliath. You must put unflinching faith in God and He who helped David to kill Goliath will help you defeat Satan and his hosts.

Challenge: "Overcome your fears with godly courage"

Prayer: "Lord, give me courage to overcome my fears"

Quote: "Godly courage overcomes fears"

Further Reading: 1 Samuel 17:32-51

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:39pm On Jan 22, 2017
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, JANUARY 22, 2017

SINNERS' HEART STATE
TEXT: MARK 7:21,22

"For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness" (Mark 7:21,22).

The common belief that "what is in the well will be in the bucket" is true, for it is not possible to draw clean water from a polluted well. The state of every sinner's heart is like a polluted well. Following the fall of Adam and Eve, the heart of man became polluted. In Genesis 6:5, "...GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually."

Our text reveals that all kinds of sin proceed from the heart. Oswald Chambers says, "Sin is a monarch ruling on the outside, demanding obedience on the inside." Perhaps, you have been struggling with these vices and trying to overcome them to no avail. You cannot mend your thoughts and lifestyle when your heart remains defiled and corrupt.

Confess your sins and surrender to Christ today. He will cleanse and regenerate your heart, and you will be numbered among the saints.

Challenge: "Surrender your heart to Christ for cleansing today"

Prayer: "Purge my heart of all forms of defilement, oh Lord"

Quote: "The sinner's heart is like a polluted well"

Further Reading: John 8:44; Galatians 5:17-21

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:52pm On Jan 23, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, JANUARY 23, 2017

SINNERS' HEART STATE
TEXT: GALATIANS 5:24

"And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts" (Galatians 5:24).

Morley in his book, I Surrender, stated that the Church's integrity problem lies in her misconception that, "We can add Christ to our lives, but not subtract sin. It is a change in belief without a change in behaviour. It is revival without reformation and without repentance." This illusion has over the years influenced the lifestyle of many who claim to be Christians. A Christian is a saint; he has invited Jesus into his heart, and he cannot harbour sin in it.

Our text says that Christians, youths inclusive, have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If you are a saint, your heart must be pure always, free from the love of the world, lust of the flesh and the pride of life. There is no more room for envy, strife and hatred. Instead, there is love, joy, peace and other components of the fruit of the Spirit. To maintain a holy heart, feed on God's word, pray without ceasing, avoid all appearances of evil, and live with heaven in view.

Challenge: "Allow God to purge your heart of all filthiness"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to maintain a pure and holy heart everyday"

Quote: "Your heart must be pure always"

Further Reading: Proverbs 4:23; Matthew 5:8; Philippians 4:8

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:35am On Jan 24, 2017
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, JANUARY 24, 2017

REJOICE IN THE LORD
TEXT: PHILIPPIANS 4:4

"Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice" (Philippians 4:4).

Joy, according to Warren is, "The settled assurance that God is in control of all the details of my life... And the determined choice to praise God in every situation."

This assertion agrees with the story of Jerry (not real name), from an animist home who became a Christian at age 12. His parents tried to stop him but failed, so he was thrown out of home. Jerry received help from the Church but returned home to sleep outside their house. Amidst his suffering, Jerry continued praising God and remained faithful to Him. His attitude of praise despite their cruelty touched his parents. On enquiry, Jerry confessed that he was rejoicing because of his salvation and assurance of heaven. His confession eventually resulted in his parents' salvation.

To rejoice in the Lord always is only possible for Christians. Are you a Christian? If you are not, you must surrender your life to Christ, like Jerry, and pray for grace for rejoicing always, even in tough times and the assurance that He is in control of your life.

Challenge: "Determine to praise God in every situation"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to live a life of rejoicing"

Quote: "Pray for grace for rejoicing"

Further Reading: Psalm 34:1-4; 104:33-34

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:09pm On Jan 25, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 25, 2017

BUILD ON THE ROCK
TEXT: LUKE 6:48

"He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock" (Luke 6:48).

A common adage says that a house is as strong as its foundation. Two buildings in a city were put up for sale. Most prospective buyers preferred the new house with attractive finishing. The unsuccessful buyer resorted to the old building with poor finishing. Shortly after, a heavy rain shook many buildings to their foundations, resulting in their collapse, including the attractive house, while the old building stood.

As a Christian, you are the building of God built on a sure foundation, Christ Jesus, the Rock. Do not live like those without Christ, who are bound to collapse with storms of life. As a child of God, hold on to God's word, guard your Christian experiences, pray always, witness to fellow youths and remain holy. Christ will uphold you and help you overcome the storms of life.

Challenge: "Be wise and build your life on Christ, the Solid Rock"

Prayer: "Dear Father, help me to build my life on Christ the Rock"

Quote: "Christ Jesus, the Rock always"

Further Reading: Luke 6:46-49; 1 Corinthians 3:11

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:28am On Jan 27, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, JANUARY 26, 2017

MAKE NEEDED CHANGES
TEXT: EZEKIEL 18:21

"But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die" (Ezekiel 18:21).

A young man testifying of his salvation experience, revealed how he got into crime at age nine. He started with stealing little things and graduated to breaking into houses. At age 16, he ended up in a reformation home, where he started detesting his criminal life. Pondering on the life of his sisters and other Christians, he was convicted of his sins which led to his salvation and subsequent deliverance from his criminal life. What a change! "If you are saved, your behaviour changes as evidence that something changed on the inside-in the heart," said Joe Bishop.

Beloved, living without Christ leads to death and eternity in hell. Our text admonishes us to turn from all sins, and live for Christ. You need to change from your life of disobedience, rebellion, immorality, examination mal-practice, cultism, internet fraud, and embrace Christ today. Like the youth in our story, confess your sins and surrender to Christ now and He will give you a new life.

Challenge: "Your needed change is in Christ"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to surrender to you and live for Christ"

Quote: "Embrace Christ today"

Bible Reading in one Year: Ezekiel 18:21-32; John 3:16

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:22am On Jan 27, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, JANUARY 27, 2017

THE GOLDEN RULE
TEXT: MATTHEW 7:12

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matthew 7:12).

The Golden Rule is a law of reciprocity with emphasis on treating others as one would want to be treated. Its nucleus is agape love. God is Love and He expects His children to be channels of love and blessings in a world full of evil.

Amy Carmichael wrote, "If I can enjoy a joke at the expense of another; if I can in any way slight another in conversation, or even in thought, then I know nothing of Calvary love." The Golden Rule enables us to "Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord" (Hebrews12:14).

Today, many people, show no love or empathy. They do not care about what happens to others around them. If as a student, you are offended if other students steal your things, then do not do it. Also, respect your principals, teachers, elders and others because if people disrespect you, you will feel bad. You can obey the Golden Rule if you are born again. Are you?

Challenge: "Love your neighbour as yourself"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to love all men"

Quote: "Its nucleus is agape love"

Bible Reading in one Year: Luke 6:31-35

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:53am On Jan 28, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, JANUARY 28, 2017

PARABLE OF THE SOWER 1
TEXT: MATTHEW 13:3B, 4

"Behold, a sower went forth to sow: And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up" (Matthew 13:3b, 4).

One of the most popular parables of our Lord Jesus Christ is the parable of the sower. We shall consider it in four studies for maximal benefit. The seeds that fell by the way side are like people who go to church, hear the word preached, but do not understand it, and everything fritters away in minutes. Such people would not profit by the word.

How do we understand? One, a good level of intelligence is required. Two, you must listen well. Three, meditate on what you hear. According to Patricia H. Rushford, "Listening is more than just hearing. True listening is, loving someone enough to give him or her your full attention."

My child, do you go to church but fail to listen to the preacher and instead, hide your phone and browse secretly at the back? Even if you belong to a devoted Christian home, you are lost if you do not allow the word of God to saturate your heart and lead you to salvation. Also, be ready to dig deep into God's eternal truth.

Challenge: "Let the word of Christ saturate your heart"

Prayer: "Lord, give me grace to love your word"

Quote: "Dig deep into God's eternal truth"

Bible Reading in one Year: Psalm 119:9-16

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:12pm On Jan 29, 2017
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, JANUARY 29, 2017

PARABLE OF THE SOWER 2
TEXT: MATTHEW 13:5A, 6

"Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away" (Matthew 13:5a, 6).

The seeds that fell on a stony ground are people who receive the word of God with joy but do not allow it to settle deep in their hearts. They may even give their lives to Christ and bask in the salvation euphoria for a while. However, Jesus explains that when persecution and challenges come because of their new faith, they are offended and gradually, they backslide (Matthew13:20-21).

The axiom that says, "You should not go to the kitchen if you cannot bear the heat," is fulfilled in them. This is also why many students, researchers and athletes give up on their pursuits. Do you have the spiritual stamina to continue in the faith? Your spiritual and social environment may be tough, but victory is possible. Read Christ's words, "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world" (John16:33). Amen! Stay on God's word and triumph.

Challenge: "Meditate on God's word daily"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to understand your word"

Quote: "Stay on God's word and triumph"

Bible Reading in one Year: Joshua 1:8; Psalm 119:9-11

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:56am On Jan 30, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, JANUARY 30, 2017

PARABLE OF THE SOWER 3
TEXT: MATTHEW 13:7

"And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up and choked them" (Matthew 13:7).

Today we are looking at the seeds that fell among thorns. Jesus said that it was, "the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches" that made these believers unfruitful. The care of this world is explained by Jesus, "Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewith shall we be clothed?" You see, it is all about worry.

The next factor is the "deceitfulness of riches." Lack of riches or the misuse of it, like the prodigal son, cause some to backslide. My child, do you remember Demas? The love of this present world destroyed his spiritual life. Unhealthy desire for riches often leads people to err from the faith, and have "pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

You are in school or working because you want to be "healthy, wealthy and wise." However, as a child of God you do not get them by worrying but by trusting God and working hard. Stand on God's word in all conditions. All shall be well.

Challenge: "Strive to enter God's Kingdom"

Prayer: "Lord, may no thorns hinder my spiritual progress"

Quote: "Stand on God's word in all conditions"

Bible Reading in one Year: Matthew 7:21-27

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by oaroloye(m): 12:07pm On Jan 30, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

"In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you" (1 Thessalonians 5:18)

A story was told of a man who was robbed of his belongings. While his wife was expecting him to be sad, he expressed gratitude to God for sparing his life. This man understood and obeyed the biblical counsel that enjoins believers to give thanks to God in everything. Perhaps, as a youth, you have never been robbed of something. Life challenges may have been robbing you academically, physically, emotionally, economically and spiritually. The ups and downs of life can make you question why you should give thanks to God.

Like the man in the story above, you should always find reasons to thank God in spite of your challenges. Do not allow anything to hinder you from giving thanks to God always. The Bible says: “…all things work together for good to them that love God…” (Romans 8:28). Who knows? Such challenges may be stepping stones to your breakthrough. Therefore, always give thanks to God in all situations.

Challenge: "Are you always grateful to God?"

Prayer:: "Lord, teach me to thank you in every situation."

Further Reading: Habakkuk 3:17-19

Quotation:: "Always give thanks."

See more at:

This is how the Oyinbo Secret Agents, called Missionaries, brainwashed our people to be ENDORPHIN DRUNKARDS rejoicing while their Masters robbed their country blind!

PAUL WAS A FALSE CHRISTIAN, who introduced this and other such Teachings into the Church to destroy it from within, after he failed to do so from the outside.

. MATTHEW 24:42-43.

42. "Watch therefore: for ye know not
what hour your Lord doth come.
43. "But know this,
'That if the goodman of the house had known
in what watch the thief would come,
he would have watched,
and would not have suffered
his house to be broken up."

THAT FOOL SHOULD HAVE BEEN LAMENTING HOW HE WILL HAVE TO GIVE ACCOUNT FOR HOW HE FAILED GOD.

. THE TEN TALENTS OF POWER. (Matt. 25:1-46.)

1. TOTAL RECALL.
2. EXTRASENSORY PERCEPTION.
3. TELEKINESIS.
4. TELEPORTATION.
5. TRANSLATION.
6-10. EVERLASTING LIFE.

As a Robbery Victim, he exhibited failure on all TEN TALENTS- having NOTHING to show The Lord at his Judgment!

TALENT ONE: He failed to understand and remember his vulnerability, and to formulate a plan that would protect his family.

TALENT TWO: He failed to FORSEE the Robbery and be ready to prevent it when it occurred.

TALENT THREE: He had no Angelic Power to resist the attack.

TALENT FOUR: He was unable to Teleport himself, his family, nor his property to safety.

TALENT FIVE: He had no access to Heavenly Resources.

TALENTS SIX THROUGH TEN: He and his family were in Mortal Jeopardy, nor did he have Power over the Robbers, a Tenth Talent Attribute.

SOVIET ATHEISTIC SCIENTIST IVAN PAVLOV received a NOBEL PRIZE for proving to Oyinbo Governments that their people could be Psychologically Satisfied by PROMISES, rather than substances. The Oyinbo versions of Christianity have been excellent for that use!

. JOHN 15:1-8.

"I AM The True Vine,
and my Father is the Husbandman.
2. "Every branch in me
that beareth not fruit
He taketh away:
and every branch that beareth fruit,
He purgeth it,
that it may bring forth more fruit.
3. "Now ye are clean through the Word
which I have spoken unto you.
4. "Abide in me, and I in you.

'AS THE BRANCH CANNOT
BEAR FRUIT OF ITSELF,
EXCEPT IT ABIDE IN THE VINE;'

no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5. "I am The Vine, ye are the Branches:

'HE THAT ABIDETH IN ME,
AND I IN HIM,
THE SAME BRINGETH FORTH
MUCH FRUIT:'

for without me ye can do nothing.
6. "If a man abide not in me,
he is cast forth as a branch,
and is withered;
and men gather them,
and cast them into The Fire,
and they are burned.
7. "If ye abide in me,
and my Words abide in you,
ye shall ask what ye will,
and it shall be done unto you.
8. "Herein is my Father glorified,

'THAT YE BEAR MUCH FRUIT;'

so shall ye be my Disciples."

CHRISTIANS HAVE TO WAKE UP TO THE FACT THAT THE SALVATION THEY HAVE BEEN TAUGHT IS PURELY IMAGINARY!

The Fool Gospel (sic) Christians are taught to IMAGINE that they have Faith, rather than actually have It.

When people like me talk about REALITY, they are like:

"WHAT'S HE TALKING ABOUT?"

WAKE UP!
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:39pm On Jan 31, 2017
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, JANUARY 31, 2017

PARABLE OF THE SOWER 4
TEXT: MATTHEW 13:8

"But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundred fold, some sixty fold, some thirty fold" (Matthew 13:8 ).

We have come to the climax of the parable of the sower. It is about the seeds that fell "into good ground." Hear Jesus' explanation on today's text, "But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word; and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundred fold, some sixty, some thirty" (Matthew13:23). Hearing, understanding and acting upon God's word brings benefits.

Smith Wigglesworth said, "The word of God is full, final, reliable, up to date. Our attitude toward it must be one of unquestioned obedience. If a thing is in the Bible, it is so. It is not even to be prayed about. It is to be received and acted upon."

If you have a heart of flesh and not of stone, if you are willing and obedient, you will be fruitful through God's word. By it Peter brought about 3000 souls to Christ in Jerusalem, and revival to Samaria through Philip. It is your turn to be fruitful.

Challenge: "Abide in Christ and let His word abide in you"

Prayer: "Lord help me to abide to the end"

Quote: "It is your turn to be fruitful"

Bible Reading in one Year: Matthew 24:10-13

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:10am On Feb 01, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 1, 2017

CARING FOR THE KING
TEXT: MATTHEW 25:40

"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, in as much as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me" (Matthew 25:40).

Between 1940 and 1945, Germany's ruler, Adolf Hitler sent thousands of Jews to their death just because they were Jews. At the same time Oskar Schindler, an ethnic German businessman, appointed himself the dangerous task of saving the lives of about 1,200 Jews. After the war, the grateful Jews gave Schindler a ring inscribed, "Whoever saves one life saves the world entire." Schindler knew nothing about the Scripture, he acted merely out of a sense of justice and morality.

On caring for the needy, Jesus Christ prescribes a greater motive to His children. When you move to comfort those, who are deprived of life and liberty, you are caring for the Lord Himself, especially if they are saints of God. Sow happiness into some life today - give a smile, spread some cheer, share a meal and, better still, share the gospel of salvation. Schindler's medal is nothing comparable to what Jesus had promised to those who refuse to permit natural selfishness to lock them in to fruitless living.

Challenge: "Opportunity to spread love is right down your street"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to live daily in a self-forgetful way"

Quote: "A fruitful life spreads joy all aroundl"

Bible Reading in one Year: Hebrews 12:1-3

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:55pm On Feb 02, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 2017

MY FATHER'S BUSINESS
TEXT: LUKE 2:4

"And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? Wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business" (Luke 2:49)?

"Life is but a walking shadow.... a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury signifying nothing," wrote William Shakespeare, in his play, Macbeth. The statement portrays the futility of earthly life.

For many people, it is true. Not many 12 year olds already know their life's main purpose. Jesus did, and He let it be known. He had no time for the silly trifles of childhood or the mundane worries of adult life. He lived for one purpose: to please God and fulfil His assigned mission. Little wonder He packed so many achievements into a 33-year earthly life. When death came, He was ready.

What is your all-absorbing life pursuit? Do you have any? If you live for self, you will soon grow old, die and be forgotten. But, live for Christ, share His love and grace with others, then you would have left an indelible mark on the sands of time even if your life was ever so short. Be wise, be like Jesus.

Challenge: "Only one life, it will soon be past"

Prayer: "Teach me, Lord, to spend my life in your service"

Quote: "He lived for one purpose"

Bible Reading in one Year: John 12:24-26

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:13pm On Feb 03, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 2017

HUMANITY - THE TRAVELLER
TEXT: LUKE 10:30

"And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead" (Luke 10:30)

The road from Jerusalem to Jericho was a steep descent of roughly 30km. In a single day's journey, this man travelled from safety into the jaws of death. Speaking figuratively, he had left the city of God's blessing and delight into the accursed city. The road he travelled on was called "the bloody way" at the time, because of the robbers that infested it. He represents all of humanity endangered, with Satan and his cohorts as the thieves. "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill and to destroy" (John 10:10a). Some people call life a journey and we all know that it is full of risks and dangers. It is only when we travel in the company of Jesus, the Saviour, who came to give lost humanity abundant life, that safety from the 'thieves' is assured. Repent of your sins today and believe in Jesus for salvation. Total safety is only in Jesus.

Challenge: "Dwell in the secret place of the Most High"

Prayer: "You are my Shepherd, oh Lord! Watch over me"

Quote: "Total safety is only in Jesus"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Peter 5:7-10

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:35am On Feb 04, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 4, 2017

WHO TO FEAR
TEXT: LUKE 12:5

"But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear Him, which after He hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear Him" (Luke 12:5)

The natural craving for acceptance and the fear of rejection by peers will drive some young people into some terrible acts. Would you rather follow the sinful crowd than please God? Would you rather do the bidding of a bully than stand for the truth? Fear is good when it keeps you on the right path. When fear makes you to tell a lie, steal, cheat, give up your virtue or mortgage your conscience in any way, then it is not good.

Saadi, a Persian poet, once wrote, "I fear God and next to God I mostly fear them that fear him not." Wise words! You should not be intimate with anyone that does not fear God; they will drag you into hell with them. But then, the true fear of God is not caught on the street or taught by man. No, it is generated from a heart already washed from sin by the blood of Jesus. First, repent of your sins, then keep God's word in your heart and you will not sin against Him.

Challenge: "If God be for me, who can be against me?"

Prayer: "Lord, cause my heart to fear you"

Quote: "Keep God's word in your heart"

Bible Reading in one Year: Hebrews 12:25-29

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:50am On Feb 05, 2017
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2017

WORRY ADDS NOTHING
TEXT: LUKE 12:25

"And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit" (Luke 12:25)

Certainly, Christ does not advocate in our text thoughtlessness, He only counsels against worry and anxiety. Worrying means feeling too concerned about a situation or problem. Rather than solve the problem, worry and anxiety wears you down.

Indeed, worry adds nothing but sucks everything. Prolonged worry shuts down your ability to focus on reality and pursue a practical solution. Really, worry and anxiety add nothing to you, neither to your physical, spiritual nor academic stature. Harold Stephen observed, "Worry is like a rocking chair: it gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere."

As a youth you have lots of issues to fuel your worry-car; for example, body image issues, peer expectations, academic performances, money needs and, admission bottlenecks. But why worry when you can pray? Make a deliberate choice to quit worry and fly on the wings of prayer, faith, hard work, and the promises of God. That way, you will make greater progress; you will climb higher and grow taller.

Challenge: "After worry, you'll feel sorry; so, quit worrying"

Prayer: "Cause my soul to wait upon You, O Lord my God"

Quote: "Worry adds nothing but sucks everything"

Bible Reading in one Year: Psalm 27:1-3

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:52pm On Feb 06, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 6, 2017

LURE OF GREENER PASTURES
TEXT: LUKE 15:13

"And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living" (Luke 15:13)

Recently, news media reported an unusual story. An African man braved the dangerous waters of the Mediterranean into Italy. Not satisfied with life in the refugee camp, he smuggled himself into Switzerland in a suitcase. He was discovered within minutes of arrival and promptly sent back, his dream of a better life shattered. In their bid for Europe many asylum seekers end up as sex slaves, drug couriers, forced labourers, or corpses. "Wisdom is before him that hath understanding; but the eyes of a fool are in the ends of the earth" (Proverbs 17:24).

Like the prodigal son, many youths have paid huge financial and moral prices to make dangerous journeys to Europe, America or the Far East. Their vision of an enjoyable life soon evaporates however when they are confronted with the harsh realities of refugee life. Unlike the prodigal son who returned home, many stay back abroad. They surrender to rough living, ending up sometimes in jail or death. You must pray fervently for divine guidance.

Challenge: "Is the grass always really greener on the other side?"

Prayer: "Turn away my eyes, Lord, from gazing at vanity"

Quote: "Pray fervently for divine guidance"

Bible Reading in one Year: Ruth 1:1-6

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:46pm On Feb 08, 2017
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:53pm On Feb 08, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2017

ENFORCING YOUR RIGHTS
TEXT: ACTS 22:25

"And as they bound him with thongs, Paul said unto the centurion that stood by, Is it lawful for you to scourge a man that is a Roman" (Acts 22:25)?

A man's true character shines forth the most in the face of injustice or personal crisis. Though a Jew, Paul was a Roman citizen. Twice, in the course of his travails for the gospel, he claimed the special rights of his Roman citizenship. The first occasion was in the jail at Philippi. Though treated unfairly on several occasions, Paul's goal was always to seek the glory of God in everything he did. Christian youths have civil and human rights but they are not called to engage in violent actions in enforcing those rights.

Christians are likened to sheep, not goats; they are called doves, not hawks. When your rights are trampled on, you must react Christianly. Sinners can be violent, abusive or even murderous; being already on their way to hell, they have nothing to lose. Children of God have a precious heaven to gain. Whatever earthly rights they forfeit cannot be compared to the glories of their eternal home. So, a believer should rather suffer loss gladly than suffer forever in hell fire.

Challenge: "Beware; there are no rights to claim in hellfire"

Prayer: "Make me like you in everything, sweet Jesus"

Quote: "Children of God have Heaven to gain"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Peter 2:19-23

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:08pm On Feb 09, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 9, 2017

A PRISONER BUT SPECIAL
TEXT: ACTS 28:16

"And when we came to Rome, the centurion delivered the prisoners to the captain of the guard: but Paul was suffered to dwell by himself with a soldier that kept him" (Acts 28:16)

Our text today is a classic fulfilment of Proverbs 16:7: "When a man's ways please the LORD, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him." The captain of the guard had never met Paul before, but there was something noticeably special about this prisoner. That "something" is called, divine favour. It was the same divine favour that made Daniel 'a captive but special', and Esther 'an orphan but special.' These cases teach us that having no big man or rich relative on our side is not a disadvantage if God is on our side.

Divine favour is what you ought to court. It will open doors that human influence or money power cannot. Hard work is necessary but is it enough without God? The door of admission or scholarship sometimes is shut against the hard worker. If you, like Daniel, obtain divine favour in addition to hard work, your success is guaranteed. Turn away from your sinful ways, put your faith in Christ and walk in holiness daily.

Challenge: "When God gives peace, who can make trouble"

Prayer: "Cause your face to shine upon me, O Lord"

Quote: "Divine favour is what you ought to court"

Bible Reading in one Year: Daniel 1:8-20

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:27am On Feb 11, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 10, 2017

AWAKE!
TEXT: 1 CORINTHIANS 15:34

"Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I speak this to your shame" (1 Corinthians 15:34)

Henry David Thoreau, an American author lived more than 200 years ago. He wrote, "To be awake is to be alive." That may not be literally true in the physical sense because we need a good sleep daily. It is however literally true in the spiritual sense.

In our passage, today, Apostle Paul rebukes the Corinthian Christians. Why? They professed to know God but lived below His cherished holiness standards. It is a shameful thing when a youth professes to follow Christ but acts in a manner contrary to Christ. For the Christian youth, a state of spiritual sleep means no watchfulness, no daily quiet time, no fellowship with the brethren and, no evangelism. It signals imminent backsliding. Be on your guard always. You must not "sleep" in your morals and convictions.

Jesus warns us of the dangerous strategy of Satan, how he creeps into people's lives. He said, "While men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat." Satan slowly but surely sows sin: pornography, lying, stealing, bitterness, rebellion and hypocrisy in "sleepers." Christian youth, beware.

Challenge: "It is time to stay awake, the end is near"

Prayer: "Lord, deliver me from the sleep of death"

Quote: "Spiritual sleep means no watchfulness"

Bible Reading in one Year: Romans 13:11-14

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Flee Youthful Lusts by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:39am On Feb 12, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 11, 2017

DANGER OF LOOSE LIPS
TEXT: PROVERBS 21:23

"Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles" (Proverbs 21:23)

According to William Shakespeare, "Men of few words are the best men." The mouth of one who is talkative is like a running tap. And the Bible says: "In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise" (Proverbs 10:19). That is why we should "be swift to hear and slow to speak." Are you the type that talks about everything you hear and see? Many family and friendship relationships have been ruined for this reason. Remember the popular saying, "Loose lips sink ships."

If 'loose lips' is your lifestyle, sin is resident in your heart for out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks. Such people are not far from troubles, be it at home, school, or in the office. Remember that every carelessly spoken word will be judged by God. As a wise child of God use your lips to pray, or praise God when tempted to talk unadvisedly.

Challenge: "A small leak will sink a great ship"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to be swift to hear and slow to speak"

Quote: "Loose lips sink ships"

Bible Reading in one Year: 2 Samuel 1:1-16

See more at:

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (112) (Reply)

Christ Embassy's New Social Website / Yookos.com – Christ Embassy’s Social Networking Site.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.