Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,034 members, 7,803,477 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven - Religion (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven (1377552 Views)

THREAD: HIGHER EVERYDAY- DAILY GUIDE For YOUTHS With W.F.KUMUYI (deeper Life) / Nigerian Man Starts Preaching In London Bus And Is Told To Shut Up / 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (112) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:09pm On Mar 16, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, MARCH 16, 2017

A SURPRISE DEAL
TEXT: EXODUS 3:10,11A

"Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt. And Moses said unto God, Who am I?" (Exodus 3:10, 11a).

This deal was about the call of Moses by God for the deliverance of the Israelites from slavery in Egypt. He would leave taking care of the flocks of Jethro at the backside of the desert to lead the Israelites to the Land of Canaan. Moses was not ready for this deal; he felt unqualified, but he was the man Jehovah El Shaddai (the God who is more than enough), had chosen to use. In his book, The Divine Conquest, A. W. Tozer said, "Not by might, nor by power, neither by native ability nor by training are men made apostles, but by God's effectual calling. So it is in every office within the church."

Have you ever been appointed to lead a group or team like being a school prefect or the president of a society before? How did you feel initially? Whatever is your feelings of inadequacy, if God calls you, He will equip you and use you to do the job, and you will succeed just as Moses, Joshua, Samuel, Elisha and a host of others God called did.

Challenge: "God chooses ordinary men and women for extraordinary work"

Prayer: "Lead me Lord, I'll follow"

Quote: "Moses was not ready for this deal"

Bible Reading in one Year: Exodus 3:1-12

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:27pm On Mar 17, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, MARCH 17, 2107

THANK YOU JESUS
TEXT: LUKE 17: 15-16A

"And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, turned back, and with a loud voice glorified God, and fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks" (Luke 17: 15-16a).

Saying 'thank you' to someone who has been of help to you in any way, is a sign of gratitude, and it gives joy to the helper. When people show appreciation for a kind gesture, room is created for more benevolent acts. In the Old Testament dispensation, thanksgiving and first fruit offerings were made to appreciate God's blessings. "One who forgets the language of gratitude can never be on speaking terms with happiness," C. Nail Strait declared.

Our text tells of the story of ten lepers who cried to Jesus for healing. He healed them all but only one, a Samaritan, remembered to turn back to say, thank you to Jesus. Sadly, many youths today behave like the nine ungrateful lepers. They ask God for provisions, good health, wisdom and good grades in their examinations. They even make vows to serve God faithfully if the petitions were granted. But they soon forget God when their prayers are answered. This attitude displeases God. Jesus asked, "Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?" Be appreciative to God!

Challenge: "Have you said thank you Jesus today?"

Prayer: "In all things, help me Lord to give you thanks"

Quote: "Be appreciative to God"

Bible Reading in one Year: Psalm 34: 1-8

See more at:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:55am On Mar 18, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, MARCH 18, 2017

HOLY GHOST BAPTISM
TEXT: LUKE 24:49

"And, behold, I send the promise of My Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with Power from on high" (Luke 24:49).

D. L. Moody, an evangelist who was born in Northfield, Massachusetts, USA, while talking about enduement of the Holy Ghost said: "We all need it [the filling of the Holy Spirit] together, and let us not rest day nor night until we possess it; if that is the uppermost thought in our hearts, God will give it to us if we just hunger and thirst for it and say, "'God helping me, I will not rest until endued with power from on high.'"

Baptism or in filling of the Holy Ghost is what we all need in order to be effective instruments in the hand of God. Jesus promised every believer of this experience. Once we are born again and have received sanctification experience we should press on until we are filled with the Holy Ghost. The initial evidence of this is speaking in unknown tongues. It is wrong to be taught how to speak in tongues by men as that is against the word of God and attracts punishment. Pray for the genuine experience!

Challenge: "The promise of the Holy Ghost is for you"

Prayer: "Oh Lord, fill me with your Spirit"

Quote: "Pray for the genuine experience!"

Bible Reading in one Year: Acts 1:8

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:00pm On Mar 19, 2017
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, MARCH 19, 2017

LIVE A CONTENTED LIFE
TEXT: 1 TIMOTHY 6:6, 7

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out" (1 Timothy 6:6,7).

Paul the apostle proved by his lifestyle that one can be contented with what one has. He asserted that "... I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content" (Phil 4: 11b). He defied all odds and did his best in the service of the Lord. Looking at Paul's life, Matthew Henry wrote, "The apostle was often in bonds, imprisonments, and in necessities; but in all, he learnt to be content, to bring his mind to his condition, and make the best of it. Pride, unbelief, vain hankering after something we have not got, and fickle disrelish of present things, make men discontented even under favourable circumstances."

As a Christian youth, you should take a cue from Paul's example. He put a good construction on whatever happened to him. Look at the eternal purpose and minimise the temporal. Do not be covetous like Achan who could not enjoy what he got through covetousness. Prudently use whatever you have as you work hard and pray for things to get better.

Challenge: "Be contented with whatever your parents provide"

Prayer: "Lord teach me to live a contented life"

Quote: "Do not be covetous like Achan"

Bible Reading in one Year: Philippians 4: 11, 12

See more here:

1 Like

Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:21am On Mar 20, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, MARCH 20, 2017

END OF DISTRESS
TEXT: 1 Samuel 30: 6

"And David was greatly distressed for the people spake of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved but David encouraged himself in the Lord his God" (1 Samuel 30: 6).

Our text reveals how David practically put an end to his distress. He encouraged himself in the Lord despite the difficult and trying situations he faced; he never allowed his distress to last long. He had faith in God and he believed that God would help him. He prayed and God told him to pursue and overtake the Amalekites. He did and conquered. "The Lord cannot do much with a crushed soul, hence the adversary's attempt to push the Lord's people into despair and hopelessness over the condition of themselves or of the Church," wrote Mrs. Charles Cowman.

Are you passing through a seemingly impossible and distressful situation? Why don't you trust in the Lord, for He will surely calm your stormy seas and give you peace and abundant life. When Israel was faced with the Red Sea and Pharaoh's army, the fears, cry and complaints of the people did not solve the problem. But when Moses encouraged them and turned to God in prayer, victory came. Have courage and pray, victory is sure.

Challenge: "Cast your burden upon Jesus for He cares for you"

Prayer: "Lord, put an end to my distress"

Quote: "He encouraged himself in the Lord"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Samuel 30:8 -18

See more here:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:22am On Mar 21, 2017
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, MARCH 21, 2017

WRITE FOR GOD'S GLORY 1
TEXT: 2 TIMOTHY 2:15

"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth" (2 Timothy 2:15).

A Christian works with passion. That passion comes from the desire to please God by helping the needy and lost. If your vision is to accomplish this task by writing, you have to learn the ropes. However, anointing and a good knowledge of your subject matter is very important. The saints of old were able to impact lives with their writing because they had passion, knowledge and anointing. Hear Saint Luke for example, "It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus, that thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed" (Luke 1:3, 4). You see, faith comes by hearing God's word.

Luke passed the truth about Christ to Theophilus which we gain from today. You can see that in his gospel. Read the Bible, Church history, biographies and other good books if you are aspiring to write for God's glory. Your life should also prove what you write. Are you a Christian?

Challenge: "Christian writing is preaching the Gospel by other means"

Prayer: "Oh, God, prepare me to write for you, in Jesus name"

Quote: "Your life should also prove what you write"

Bible Reading in one Year: 2 Timothy 4:1-4

See more here:

1 Like

Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:29am On Mar 22, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 22, 2017

WRITE FOR GOD'S GLORY 2
TEXT: 1 CORINTHIANS 14:9

"So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air" (1 Corinthians 14:9).

A writer ensures that his reading audience understand his writing. If it is not clear, then the message is lost. Some people negatively criticised Apostle Paul for writing some things hard to be understood (2 Peter 3:15, 16).

However, in today's text, we see Paul appealing to the Corinthian Church to speak words that were easy to be understood. But can you accuse Paul of obfuscation, considering his painful labour to interpret and apply the Old Covenant to those of us in the New Covenant? Without Paul's Epistles to the Romans, Galatians and Hebrews, for example, Christians would have remained confused about many things.

As a would-be Christian writer, can you now see the need for clear, simple and logical writing? The reason for writing is to pass a message; so, do it simply. If you are posting messages or comments on the social media, do you do it to God's glory and with clarity? Pray and train to become a ready writer.

Challenge: "God needs holy and committed souls to write for Him"

Prayer: "Oh, God, help me to make meaning when I write"

Quote: "Pray and train to become a ready writer"

Bible Reading in one Year: Esther 8:3-10

See more here:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:54am On Mar 24, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, MARCH 23, 2017

WRITE FOR GOD'S GLORY 3
TEXT: JOHN 21:25

"And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books..." (John 21:25).

In any piece of writing, whether an essay, or a letter, the writer would have to choose what to write as everything cannot be written down. This is why summary writing is taught in language classes. In our text, Apostle John said that there was a lot more to write about Christ's ministry which could not be written. However, he wrote enough, as led by the Spirit, to produce faith, and conversion in the readers. In the Bible, almost every narrative, description and argument put forth, is summarised: from the creation of the world, the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, the life and ministry of Jesus, to John's vision in the book of Revelation.

The Bible writers wrote just what God wanted and stopped there. Would you write for God in your age? Contemporary writers like A.W. Tozer, C.H. Spurgeon, John Bunyan, Watchman Nee, Oswald J. Smith and Oswald Chambers were used of God because they were consecrated to Him. Are you?

Challenge: "In few words, you can write to improve lives."

Prayer: "Teach and anoint me to write well, Oh God"

Quote: "Bible writers wrote just what God wanted"

Bible Reading in one Year: Exodus 34:1-5, 27-29

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:01am On Mar 24, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, MARCH 24, 2017

LAZY PEOPLE LACK
TEXT: PROVERBS 6:10-11

"Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: So shall thy poverty come..." (Proverbs 6:10-11).

Smith Wigglesworth was born in 1859 to a very poor family. His father did manual labour, for very little pay. He went to work at the age of six to help in the family. At six, he pulled turnips and at 7 he worked in a woolen mill. Laziness is a cankerworm; it eats deep into its victim. It brings poverty and enslaves. Young smith was never lazy; he took the bull by the horn to ensure there was no lack in his home.

Are you slothful? No wonder you eye other people's things because you are too lazy to work. Cast away your cloak of laziness. Today, the world is looking for multi-tasked youths who can do so many things with their hands to fill the gap created by unemployment. Why not lay your hands on something profitable now?

Challenge: "Rise up and do something profitable"

Prayer: "Lord, l refuse to be lazy; help me!"

Quote: "Fill the gap created by unemployment"

Bible Reading in one Year: Proverbs 6: 1 - 6

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:16pm On Mar 25, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, MARCH 25, 2017

A NEW LOOK YOU
TEXT: 2 CORINTHIANS 5:17

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new" (2 Corinthians 5:17).

When Jesus lays hold on a sinner, he becomes a brand-new person. Jesus does not refurbish or panel-beat a sinner but He brings a complete change. The degenerate nature is regenerated and the old sinful lifestyle gives way to a new way of life. The ferocious lion-like nature gives way to the meekness of a lamb. The crafty, subtle and poisonous snake character of the unsaved becomes as harmless as a dove.

According to Billy Graham, "The Bible teaches that when a person comes to Christ, a change takes place that is reflected in everything he does."
It is a farce to profess to be born again without a visible change of life. Saul of Tarsus was never the same again when he became converted. If you are still a sinner, repent now and the nature of Christ will be reproduced in you. Family members, friends and neighbours will bear witness to the change in lifestyle. The desire to please Christ and not the world becomes a motivating factor in everything you do or say.

Challenge: "There is no Christian sinner"

Prayer: "Lord, let Christ be reflected in all I do"

Quote: "If you are a sinner, repent now"

Bible Reading in one Year: Matthew 5:14-16

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:33pm On Mar 26, 2017
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, MARCH 26, 2017

BACK TO FIRST LOVE
TEXT: REVELATION 2:4

"Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love" (Revelation 2:4).

One Sunday morning during a church service, a 2,000-member congregation was surprised to see two men enter, both covered from head to toe in black and carrying sub-machine guns. One of the men proclaimed, "Anyone willing to take a bullet for Christ, remain where you are." Immediately, the choir fled, the deacons fled, and most of the congregation fled. Out of the 2,000 there only remained about 20. The man who had spoken took off his hood, looked at the preacher and said, "Okay Pastor, I got rid of all the hypocrites. Now you may begin your service. Have a nice day!" And the two men turned and walked out.

How did you start and how was your commitment to Christ then? Obviously if it were in the past, you would be among the 20 that remained, ready to lay down your life for the Lord. Today, you cannot take a stand for Christ any more. Repent of your lukewarm attitude; re-dedicate your life and be restored to your first love in Christ.

Challenge: "Can you stake your life for Jesus?"

Prayer: "Lord help me to love you more than ever before"

Quote: "Repent of your lukewarm attitude"

Bible Reading in one Year: John 21:15-17

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:26am On Mar 27, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, MARCH 27, 2017

DEFEATING SATAN
TEXT: JAMES 4:7

"Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you" (James 4:7).

You should always remember the story of Job whenever Satan comes with his wiles. When you are tempted to sin, God is watching. Consider the possibility that God and Satan are having a conversation about you at that moment. God is saying, "Consider my servant, (insert your name here)" Satan would love to see you fall, confirming his accusation levelled against you before God.

Satan, though powerful, is not invincible. We overcome him by not yielding to him but by resisting him. Dr. J. H. Jowett said, "Evil never surrenders its hold without a sore fight." To defeat Satan, all thoughts, affections, words, and actions, must be guided by the word of God. Satan is proved wrong when you yield your life in obedience to God. Remember that Satan is both a defeated foe and a cowardly enemy. Though he roars like a lion, he has a faint heart. As you resist him with the word of God, "it is written," he will flee from you.

Challenge: "Abide in Christ's victory over Satan"

Prayer: "Oh, God, help me not to blow out your confidence in me"

Quote: "Resist him with the Word of God"

Bible Reading in one Year: Romans 16:19, 20

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:31pm On Mar 28, 2017
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, MARCH 28, 2017

FORGIVE
TEXT: MATTHEW 6:14,15

"For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you" (Matthew 6:14).

On February 2007, the car holding Chris Williams and his family was hit by a 17-year-old drunk driver. Immediately, his 11-year-old son and 9-year-old daughter died. His pregnant wife also gave up the ghost. Although all his loved ones were dead, Williams decided to forgive the drunkard. Forgiveness is one of the Christian imperatives, whatever the magnitude of the offence. We must forgive because our own forgiveness from God is anchored on our ability to forgive others. Forgiveness must be unconditional, without any string attached to it. To say "I forgive but I cannot forget" is another way of saying I cannot forgive.

Offences are not to be kept in the mortuary but taken to the cemetery where they are buried immediately they happen. This frees the offended from harbouring grudges or planning revenge, and gives him the ability to live in peace with the offender. Forgiveness gives one a testimony of pure conscience towards God and men. Suffice to say that forgiveness has direct link with our admittance to heaven.

Challenge: "Keep no offence"

Prayer: "Father, give me the grace to forgive as you forgave me"

Quote: "Forgiveness must be unconditional"

Bible Reading in one Year: Matthew 18:28-35

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:55am On Mar 29, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 29, 2017

FORGOTTEN FOR A WHILE
TEXT: GENESIS 40:23

"Yet did not the chief butler remember Joseph, but forgat him" (Genesis 40:23).

The chief butler in his human weakness forgot Joseph. Troubles, trial and temptations of life may seem to veil God's face. Problems of life may be overwhelming in such a magnitude that as a believer, you may be tempted to question God's care and concern for you. No matter the situation you are passing through, there is the assurance of God's love and care. The sea may roar, the storm may rage and be alarmingly violent, yet He will not forsake His own. His love for you can never suffer abatement.

Like Joseph, you might be going through painful moments in your life and it seems that you are forgotten by people or abandoned by God. Beloved, be assured that God is keenly watching over you and His plan, purpose for your life. Nothing will truncate His programme for your life as long as you abide in Him. God did not forget Joseph in the prison. He cannot forget you.

Challenge: "Delay is not denial. God cares for you"

Prayer: "Father, help me to trust you in every situation"

Quote: "God is keenly watching over you"

Bible Reading in one Year: Isaiah 49:14-16

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:50pm On Mar 30, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, MARCH 30, 2017

GIFTED FOR GOD'S WORK
TEXT: EXODUS 31:2,3

"See, I have called by name Bezaleel... And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship" (Exodus 31:2, 3).

John Wesley wrote, "The Possessor of heaven and earth placed you where you are not as a proprietor but as a steward." All His endowments entrusted into your care are to be used for His work. All abilities, natural talents, privileges and positions are to be channelled into God's work.
Bezaleel and his colleagues used their skills to design and build for God. Many building and civil engineers, medical doctors, lawyers and accountants are helping in the church work today. Are you a budding composer, singer or instrumentalist? You must plough your skill into God's work rather than singing the praise of sinners. You are to glorify God and edify the body of Christ.

As a gifted writer, many souls can be won to the Lord through your prolific writing in books and newspapers, on social media, text messages and e-mail. Your oratory power is to draw sinners into God's kingdom. The epistles we read in the Bible were letters of the Apostles to the Churches.

Challenge: "You will account for God's gifts in your trust someday"

Prayer: "Oh, God, I consecrate my life to you afresh today"

Quote: "Plough your gifts into God's work"

Bible Reading in one Year: Acts 8:17-22

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:03am On Mar 31, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, MARCH 31, 2017

HELP FOR THE HELPLESS
TEXT: JOHN 5:7

"The impotent man answered him, Sir, I have no man, when the water is troubled, to put me into the pool: but while I am coming, another steppeth down before me" (John 5:7).

Albert Schweitzer said, "The purpose of human life is to serve, and to show compassion and the will to help others." A group of salesmen were rushing to catch their flight and inadvertently kicked over a table which held a display of apples. The apples flew everywhere. One of them quickly assessed the situation and told his buddies to go on. He returned to the terminal where the apples were still all over the floor. The 16-year-old girl running the stand was totally blind! She was crying in frustration helplessly groping for her spilled produce with no one caring about her plight. The salesman knelt on the floor with her, gathered up the apples, put them back on the table and helped organise her display. He gave her $40 for the damage. As the salesman started to go, the bewildered blind girl asked him, "Mister... Are you Jesus?"

Believers are like Jesus, the Light of the world; He helped the impotent man and we should help the helpless too. God will also help you at your time of need when you help others.

Challenge: "Is your life a channel of blessing?"

Prayer: "Lord, make me like my Master Jesus in doing good"

Quote: "God will also help you"

Bible Reading in one Year: Psalm 121

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:52pm On Apr 01, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, APRIL 1, 2017

LYING IS OLD FASHIONED
TEXT: COLOSSIANS 3:9

"Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds" (Colossians 3:9).

Albert Barnes wrote, "The vice of lying is a universal fruit of sin, and seems to exist everywhere where the gospel does not prevail." People who are not born again will find it difficult to live without lying because they still live the life of the 'old man' while the believers who have put off the 'old man' with his deeds will not lie. People tell lies in order to cover their evils, appear nice, and escape punishment or to spare someone's feelings. "As a mad man who casteth firebrands, arrows, and death, So is the man that deceiveth his neighbour, and saith, Am not I in sport?"

To a believer, lying is old fashioned; not even to be told in jokes. If Ananias and Sapphira did not suffer God's death penalty, they would have given a nice excuse for their lying. Deception, lying and falsehood burn like firebrands and destroy character, friendships, homes and businesses. Lying comes from the devil and the result is hell-fire. All liars must repent.

Challenge: "Repent, uncover your lies and restitute"

Prayer: "Help me Lord to always speak the truth"

Quote: "All liars must repent"

Bible Reading in one Year: Isaiah 63:8; Acts 6:1-11

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:10am On Apr 02, 2017
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, APRIL 2, 2017

MONEY AND CHARACTER
TEXT: 1 TIMOTHY 6:10

"For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows" (1 Timothy 6:10).

Swamy Vivekananda once said, "If you have lost your wealth you have lost nothing, If you have lost your health you have lost something, if you have lost your character you have lost everything." As good and important as money is, it cannot buy good character. Rather, "Money will bring out your true character," said John Hagee.

In pursuit of money, some have lost their good character. Money may solve problems here on earth but not in the hereafter. Money determines the level of our earthly possession but character determines our eternal destiny. Money may get us the best of mansions here on earth but will not procure any space for us in heaven."

Until one receives pardon for sin, no amount of money will give peace to the soul. There will be no peace but heart-ache, no joy but sorrow. Good character is acquired through repentance, nurtured and maintained by the word of God. Do not sacrifice your character for money.

Challenge: "What is your choice, money or good character?"

Prayer: "Oh Lord, deliver me from the love of money in Jesus name"

Quote: "Do not sacrifice your character for money"

Bible Reading in one Year: Proverbs 22:1-4

See more here:

1 Like

Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:13am On Apr 03, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, APRIL 3, 2017

MY FORTRESS
TEXT: 2 SAMUEL 22:2

"And he said, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer" (2 Samuel 22:2).

A young atheist was training to be an Olympic diver. The only religious influence in his life came from his outspoken Christian friend. The young diver never paid much attention to his friend's sermons. One night the diver went to the indoor pool at the college he attended. The lights were all off, but the moon was bright. The young man climbed up to the highest diving board and as he turned his back to the pool on the edge of the board and extended his arms out, he saw his shadow on the wall in the shape of a cross. Instead of diving, he knelt down and asked God to come into his life. As the young man stood, a maintenance man walked in and turned the lights on. The pool had been drained for repairs.

The atheist would have perished right there but for his decision for Christ. Death may be closer than you can ever imagine. Surrender your life to Jesus now. Take refuge in Christ, our Rock and Fortress. Delay is dangerous.

Challenge: "In Jesus is true refuge"

Prayer: "Father, keep me from every danger, in Jesus' name"

Quote: "Take refuge in Christ, our Rock"

Bible Reading in one Year: Psalm 46:1-5

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:28pm On Apr 04, 2017
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, APRIL 4, 2017

REJECT POOR RESULTS
TEXT: PROVERBS 2:7

"He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly" (Proverbs 2:7).

"There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
There are thousands to prophesy failure;
There are thousands to point out to you, one by one,
The dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle right in with a bit of a grin,
Then take off your coat and go to it;
Just start in to sing as you tackle the thing
That "cannot be done," and you'll do it."
- Edgar A. Guest.

Some youths are satisfied with whatever comes their way. They take it as their lot and settle down with poor results. Mediocre performance trails them and are stigmatised as never-do-well individuals. To swim out of the ocean of poor results and get to the shore of brilliant performance, plan purposefully, prepare prayerfully, proceed positively and pursue persistently. God will bring you to excellence; you are more than what you think you are.

Challenge: "You have all it takes to perform excellently"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to glorify you in my academics"

Quote: "God will bring you to excellence"

Bible Reading in one Year: Daniel 1:3-10

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:25am On Apr 06, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 5, 2017

SATAN HAS STRATEGIES
TEXT: 2 CORINTHIAN 2:11

"Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices" (2 Corinthian 2:11).

One of the strategies of Satan is to keep Christians from forming intimate connection with Jesus Christ and His followers. When you overcome this, he will continue to use other strategies to make you fall from grace. He has ever used temptation since the fall of man in the Garden of Eden. "Temptation does not cease when we receive the Lord Jesus Christ as our personal Saviour. Temptation does not lessen when we serve him and give our lives to him. When we try to let the principles of Jesus Christ rule in our business lives, Satan never relaxes his efforts," declared J. H. Linton

Satan also uses discouragement, worry, religious doubts, wrong ambitions, dislike for the word and people of God, excuses for missing Christian fellowships and challenges in education or career. Remember to always confront his wiles with God's word. Though Diana and Demas fell, Joseph and John, the beloved, overcame. You will overcome Satan in Jesus name.

Challenge: "Beware! Don't be caught in Satan's web"

Prayer: "Lord, deliver me from the deceit of Satan"

Quote: "You will overcome Satan"

Bible Reading in one Year: James 1:12-17, Hebrews 4:14-16

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:28am On Apr 06, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, APRIL 6, 2017

SHUN DISGRACEFUL FASHIONS
TEXT: 2 Samuel 10:4

"Wherefore Hanun took David's servants, and shaved off the one half of their beards, and cut off their garments in the middle, even to their buttocks, and sent them away" (2 Samuel 10:4).

Either out of annoyance or inflammation of sexual passions, ladies have been molested on the streets because of their indecent appearance. Modern man has lost the sense of shame. Decency is fast becoming a thing of the past. The beastly nature in women is brought to the fore as their dressing exposes what ought to be covered, thus defeating the essence of dressing. God commands, "that the shame of thy unclothedness do not appear" (Revelation 3:18).

Debased hairstyles from musical and movie artistes or football stars, are unbecoming of a child of God. Transparent dresses, backless, topless, tight-fitting clothes; slacks and perforated dresses that do not cover unclothedness and sagging are unbiblical. The use of dead people's hairs, attachments, and colouring of hair meant to draw attention, are not of God. The fashion of the world is transient. "If you are wise, let the world pass, lest you pass away with the world," said St. Augustine.

Challenge: "Every tendency to be like the world must be avoided"

Prayer: "Dear Lord, help me to be separated from the world"

Quote: "Many youth have lost the sense of shame"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 Corinthians 7:31

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:22am On Apr 07, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, APRIL 7, 2017

WALK BY GOD'S WORD
TEXT: PSALM 119:9

"Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word" (Psalm 119:9).

They lie on the table, side by side. The Holy Bible and the TV Guide.
One is well worn, but cherished with pride (Not the Bible, but the TV Guide)
One is used daily to help folks decide. (Not the Bible: it's the TV Guide.)
Then confusion reigns, they can't all agree on what they shall watch on the old TV.
So they open the book in which they confide (No, not the Bible.....it's the TV Guide.)
The word of God is seldom read. Maybe a verse e'er they fall into bed.
Exhausted and sleepy and tired as can be... not from reading the Bible - from watching TV.
No time for prayer....no time for the word. The plan of salvation is seldom heard.
But forgiveness of sin so full and free is found in the Bible.....NOT on TV! - Selected

It is only God's word that saves and keeps one from sin. Read, memorize, stockpile it in your heart; meditate on it and walk by it, for therein lies your victory.

Challenge: "Don't substitute Bible with anything"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to walk in the light of your word"

Quote: "It is only God's Word that saves"

Bible Reading in one Year: Deuteronomy 17:19, 20

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:17pm On Apr 09, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY: 08 APRIL, 2017

YOUR DIVINE SECURITY
TEXT: PSALM 125:2

"As the mountains are round about Jerusalem, so the LORD is round about his people from henceforth even forever" (Psalm 125:2).

The survival of Sujo John and miraculous deliverance of his pregnant wife from the tragic terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 in the World Trade Centre is still a surprise till today. Sujo John was trapped inside the tower at his office on the 81st floor when the attack took place. His protection and escape were astonishing as he beat every obstacle to get to the ground. He enjoyed what could simply be termed divine security. His wife too arrived at the Tower but the plane had struck and she was prevented from entering. Thus their lives were spared miraculously from the disaster.

He whom God keeps and protects will surely escape from the enemy's onslaught. If you are in Christ, you can be rest assured that He will protect you from every danger. Nahum 1:7 says, "The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him." Surrender your life to Jesus today. Following Jesus guarantees sure security.

Challenge: "Enjoy divine security in Christ"

Prayer: "My God, I thank you for past and future protection"

Quote: "Following Jesus guarantees sure security"

Bible Reading in one Year: Psalm 91:1-11

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:22pm On Apr 09, 2017
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, APRIL 9, 2017

REJOICE YE RIGHTEOUS
TEXT: MATTHEW 5:12

"Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you" (Matthew 5:12).

Can someone rejoice while he is suffering? This appears a hard demand Jesus makes on those who are suffering for their decision to follow Him. Persecution is a deliberate action by Satan through human instruments to frustrate the decision by the born-again Christian to follow the Lord Jesus. Rather than taking offence, wallowing in self-pity, or regretting the decision to follow the Lord, Jesus Christ has said that you should rejoice when you are persecuted. Rejoice because, according to Albert Barnes, "The reward of such suffering is great. To those who suffer most, God imparts the highest rewards. Hence the crown of martyrdom has been thought to be the brightest that any of the redeemed shall wear."

Are you currently being persecuted? Has the devil, with his cohorts, taken arms against you because of your faith? Rejoice in the Lord- you will overcome. Rejoice because the Lord Jesus stands by all believers who are faced with persecution. Rejoice because your sufferings for righteousness sake cannot be compared with the eternal glory that awaits you in heaven.

Challenge: "Remain faithful, in spite of persecution"

Prayer: "Lord, grant me a vision of your eternal glory"

Quote: "Rejoice in the Lord-you will overcome"

Bible Reading in one Year: Psalm 97:12; Luke 6:22-28

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:23pm On Apr 10, 2017
Higher Everyday
MONDAY, APRIL 10, 2017

TREAT DEMONS LIKE DOGS
TEXT: 1 SAMUEL 17:43

"And the Philistine said unto David, Am I a dog that thou comest to me with staves? And the Philistine cursed David by his gods" (1 Samuel 17:43).

There may be a thousand and one Goliaths, but there is no cause for alarm. F. B. Meyer stated, "Our God is Jehovah of hosts, who can summon unexpected reinforcements at any moment to aid His people. Believe that He is there between you and your difficulty, and what baffles you will flee before Him, as clouds before the gale." The Lord Jesus has given the Church all power.

As a Christian youth, do not fear demons. As seen in the encounter between David and Goliath, the demon-backed Goliath could not stand the power of the God of Israel in David. As huge as Goliath was, with all the demonic powers of his gods backing him, he was killed by the boy, David because he faced the enemy in the name of Jehovah, the Man of war. With the authority given by Jesus, you can command demons and they will flee away, like dogs. You should however remain pure not only to attract the help of God but to retain it as a Christian soldier.

Challenge: "Purity brings power"

Prayer: "Lord, grant me victory over demons"

Quote: "Command demons and they will flee away"

Bible Reading in one Year: Luke 10:19; Mark 16:17-20

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:01am On Apr 12, 2017
Higher Everyday
TUESDAY, APRIL 11, 2017

RISKY RELAXATION SPOTS
TEXT: MICAH 2:10

"Arise ye, and depart; for this is not your rest: because it is polluted, it shall destroy you, even with a sore destruction" (Micah 2:10).

Many youths have destroyed themselves and the beautiful future the good Lord intended for them because of their ill-advised search for fun. There are places that Christian youths MUST never go to. They include cinema houses, public beaches for sun-bathing; video clubs, disco night clubs, dance parties, beer palours and football viewing centres.

In our text of today, The Almighty God was telling the Israelites to leave the beautiful Land of Promise because they had polluted it with their sins and it was no more their place of rest and security but terrible destruction. In the same vein, the sinful places of entertainment where people go for relaxation and fun- seeking are not good for Christians. The god of this world dictates the affairs of those places, and are sure traps for Christian youths. Those places present negative influences which may be, sometimes, too subtle to be identified for what they really are. All that happens in the places identified above gratify the flesh but damn the soul and should be avoided.

Challenge: "Pilgrim, no resting place in the world"

Prayer: "Lord, guide me away from places that will damn my soul"

Quote: "Those Places present negative influences"

Bible Reading in one Year: 1 John 2: 15-17

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:05am On Apr 12, 2017
Higher Everyday
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 12, 2017

GROANING IN THIS HOUSE
TEXT: 2 CORINTHIAN 5:4

"For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life" (2 Corinthian 5:4).

In his Five Truths About Christian Suffering, Joseph Scheumann, said, "All Christians suffer. Either you have, you are, or you will "” through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God. This reality is a stark reminder that we have not reached the new heavens and new earth. The new Jerusalem of no tears and no pain, of no mourning and no death, hasn't arrived yet."You may be watching with surprise the bodies of your godly parents gradually growing older and weaker daily, but be assured that their spirits are being renewed daily; that is the way we shall all go.

Therefore, don't think that life will always be a bed of roses for you and become afraid when there are changes. The global economic recession has brought poverty to many families. Consequently, many parents cannot pay bills; some youths have been sent out of school due to lack of funds for fees. Some people lack food and others are rendered homeless. However, there is hope for faithful Christians.

Challenge: "The greatest pains are those you can tell no one"

Prayer: "Help me, Lord to hold on if I suffer"

Quote: "There is hope for faithful Christians"

Bible Reading in one Year: Romans 8:35; 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:06pm On Apr 14, 2017
Higher Everyday
THURSDAY, APRIL 13, 2017

CONFINED BUT CARING
TEXT: 2 CORINTHIAN 5:4

"We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you; That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing" (Colossians 1:3, 10).

Apostle Paul, the author of the Epistle to the Colossian church is a challenge to every Christian to serve the Lord, by caring for the brethren. He was in prison, yet caring for the brethren. He was not discouraged because of the suffering he was going through. In fact, he prayed for the brethren to remain steadfast.

Are you faced with any challenge, as a Christian youth? Are you in confinement like Paul? Are you physically challenged? Don't allow your present circumstance to rob you of service unto the Lord, among the brethren. If you are in a boarding school, or staying on campus as a student of an institution of higher learning, you are like Paul in confinement. You can also minister to those around you or via the social media. You can make phone calls or like Paul, pray and write letters. John Bunyan wrote the Pilgrim Progress while in prison. Beloved, serve the Lord, in season and out of season.

Challenge: "Look beyond your current challenges"

Prayer: "Lord, give me the grace to care for the brethren"

Quote: "Serve the Lord, in season and out of season"

Bible Reading in one Year: Luke 22: 31-32

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:05am On Apr 15, 2017
Higher Everyday
FRIDAY, APRIL 14, 2017

MODERN PHILOSOPHIES
TEXT: COLOSSIANS 2:8

"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ" (Colossians 2:8.)

In our text, Paul warned the Colossian Christians to beware of the Greek and Orient (East Asia) philosophies. The philosophies contained ideas about Divine existence which were contrary to Christian beliefs. They were also to avoid Jewish traditions which could pollute the sound doctrine they had received. According to William F. Hill, "If we find ourselves attached to this worldly system we live among, we are in danger." The warning is even more relevant now than then in the light of current realities. In some societies, today, you cannot spank your child, prayers and the Bible are not allowed in schools, and same sex marriage is legalised.

These modern ideas must be rejected by Christians as Satan is spreading them through scholars, music and movie artistes, and writers. My child, the world is not an accident; God made it and the Bible, His word, is our blue print for right living, and it stands forever. But human Philosophies, cultures and traditions shall pass away.

Challenge: "Do not be misled, take heed to God's word"

Prayer: "Keep me in faith, dear Lord"

Quote: "His word is our blueprint"

Bible Reading in one Year: Colossians 2:6-9

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:22am On Apr 15, 2017
Higher Everyday
SATURDAY, APRIL 15, 2017

HOLY PILGRIMS
TEXT: 1 PETER 1:16, 17

"Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy. And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear" (1 Peter 1:16, 17)

According to Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia, "A pilgrim (from the Latin peregrinus) is a traveler (literally one who has come from afar) who is on a journey to a holy place." One fact that must be settled in every genuine Christian youth is that everyone who has accepted Jesus as Lord and Saviour, after repentance, becomes a pilgrim in this world. The Christian is on a journey to heaven, our home.

Fellow believer, how to end your life journey on earth in holiness before God should be your greatest pre-occupation. God in His word counsels, "Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul" (1 Peter 2:11).

The various activities you engage in while on this journey should not distract you. Schooling, working, holidaying or playing, should not distract you from your heavenly vision. In this pilgrimage, there are calls to "walk in the light," "run the race," "stand fast," and "fight the good fight of faith." Indeed, no dull moments. Go hand in hand with Jesus!

Challenge: "Like the patriarchs, desire a better country that is heavenly"

Prayer: "Help me, Lord, to qualify for heaven at my journey's end"

Quote: "The Christian is on a journey to heaven"

Bible Reading in one Year: Colossians 3: 1-4

See more here:
Re: Higher Everyday — Holiness And Heaven by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:41am On Apr 16, 2017
Higher Everyday
SUNDAY, APRIL 16, 2017

SIGHT AND VISION
TEXT: JOHN 4:35

"Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest" (John 4:35)

People see many things but take notice of few and often ignoring the most important. Multitudes of sinners are seen every day around us and we hear the sound of the Master's voice urging, "Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature." (Mark 16:15).

Our passage indicates how wrongly, Jesus' disciples saw the sinners around them. To them, those sinners were normal people and had ample opportunities to repent of their sins and be converted at a convenient time. They did not see any urgency in preaching to them for their salvation, yet the Lord saw the field as ripe for harvesting. Reinhard Bonnke said, "Preaching the Gospel is like plugging into a power socket. The Gospel can't be used until it is spoken." So, we must speak the word!

How do you see your peers? Do you see them as God sees them? Do you see them as youths with long life, therefore, there is no urgency about their conversion? Preach the gospel to them today. Tomorrow may be too late.

Challenge: "Evangelism is urgent"

Prayer: "Lord, help me to see other youths as you see them"

Quote: "We must speak the Word"

Bible Reading in one Year: Matthew 28: 19-20

See more here:

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (112) (Reply)

Christ Embassy's New Social Website / Yookos.com – Christ Embassy’s Social Networking Site.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.