Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,898 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:26 AM

Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. (29291 Views)

Police Arraign 2 For Stealing $14 Million From Church / How Fake Pastors Swindle Teenagers At Kubwa / Photo: Beware!!! Scammers Using APC To Swindle Unsuspecting Victims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by fairheven: 7:54pm On Jul 09, 2014
For those of you pointing accusing fingers at each other's tribe,how does that solve any problem.its Nigeria's image that is been thrampled on the mud,not image of any tribe.my prayer is that god will punish those he-goats ,that are bringing shame to Nigeria! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by KelvinGraphics(m): 7:56pm On Jul 09, 2014
kobonaire: nice, are you really from curaçao?
That's a grade A äss on your profile btw
U want try typical Lagos girl... U go fear fear na.grin
Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by BankuTilapia2: 8:08pm On Jul 09, 2014
Vivalavida99: By Stuart Grudgings

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Hundreds of American women are being ensnared by Internet scammers based in Malaysia, with some losing over a quarter of a million dollars, as the country becomes an epicenter for online crime perpetrated by Africans, U.S. officials say.

The mostly Nigerian conmen, who enter Malaysia on student visas, take advantage of the country's good Internet infrastructure to prey on lonely, middle-aged women, wooing them on dating websites before swindling their savings, they said.

The scams are more sophisticated than most Nigeria-based operations - which most Internet users have experienced at some time either via email or advertising - helped by Malaysia's advanced banking system, which allows perpetrators to quickly set up accounts and receive international transfers.

U.S. officials say Malaysian police lack the resources and expertise to tackle the problem and have yet to launch a single prosecution of a case involving a U.S. victim.

Malaysian police were reported by local media last December as saying that the number of Internet scam cases more than doubled in 2013 with total losses of more than $11 million. A total of 476 Africans had been apprehended for suspected involvement, the report said.

The Malaysian police and the Nigerian embassy in Kuala Lumpur did not respond to Reuters' request for comment. A spokesman for Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission said he was not aware of scammers operating in Malaysia, but added they were known to have international networks.

Tim Scherer, consul general at the U.S. embassy in Kuala Lumpur, told Reuters that complaints about such scams now made up more than 80 percent of inquiries to duty officers at the mission, with a dozen new cases reported every week.

Citizens of Australia, Canada and Europe had also been targeted, he said.

"These are not rich widows who are being preyed on, these are middle-class Americans who don't have this kind of money to spare," he said. "It can really transform their lives in a very terrible way."

The U.S. embassy estimates that U.S. victims are losing several million dollars a year, with two women in the past 12 months losing more than $250,000 each. There are more than 600 cases a year, and the amount lost by each victim averages in the tens of thousands of dollars, it said.

The actual figure of total losses is probably far higher, Scherer said, because many victims are too embarrassed to come forward or do not know who to contact. He said the scammers were highly sophisticated, often grooming victims for months and using convincing techniques such as forging letters purportedly from the U.S. ambassador in Malaysia.

FAKE ROMANCE

Large teams of scammers typically trawl dating or Christian websites and contact middle-aged women, the U.S. officials said. They pretend to be a Western man who then gets into legal or business difficulties in Muslim-majority Malaysia.

One U.S. victim told Reuters she transferred a total of$260,000 to Malaysia, where the man who claimed to love her said he was being prevented from returning to the United States by Malaysian bureaucracy - which required hefty payments to negotiate.

The 59-year-old widow from Phoenix, Arizona, who declined to be identified, said she had gone heavily into debt to make the payments to "Charles", and even flew to Malaysia in March to meet him. He never showed up, but a European woman claiming to be his lawyer managed to bilk another $25,000 out of the woman before she returned to Arizona.

Another victim, a women in her late 50s in the eastern United States, said she sent her life savings of $300,000 over two months to a Malaysia-based "American" man she met on dating site Match.com, three years after her husband died.

"I felt like I was in love with this man and we'd be moving forward with a life together real soon," she told Reuters.

Match.com did not respond to a Reuters request for comment. Along with other major U.S.-based dating sites, it features prominent warnings about scammers, specifically telling users to be wary of people who say they are Americans based abroad.

STUDENT SCAM

The conmen have exploited Malaysia's drive to become a global education hub, securing student visas to attend college, the U.S. officials said.

Malaysia has pursued a policy of attracting international students for more than a decade, allowing dozens of foreign colleges to set up Malaysian campuses.

Scherer said it was likely that many of the Nigerians in Malaysia were not genuine students. As of March, there were 9,146 Nigerians on student visas in Malaysia, the education ministry said, out of 123,000 overseas students in total.

"Once in the country as students, there's very little effort to verify their studies," Scherer said.

An official with Malaysia's education ministry said that last year it tightened its vetting and tracking of overseas students.

"We are aware of problems with some international students, especially Nigerians," the official said.

(Additional reporting by Tim Cocks in LAGOS; Editing by Jeremy Laurence)

https://reuters/news/american-women-targeted-malaysia-becomes-internet-scam-haven-210519106.html

This is no news to Africans, we already know the talent of nigerians
Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by horlabiyi(m): 8:18pm On Jul 09, 2014
Atigba: We have to start telling ourself the truth..I don't see anything speculative about this article what the writer states there is absolutely right Nigerians are criminals,scammers,fraudulent infact 90 percent of cybal crime in the world today are commited by nigerian..I know so many in my environment living in malasia small boys has properties in lagos and abuja .presently some are even runinng back to nigeria because of malasia present immigration hash policy.
Sir/Ma'am you are very wrong. Over 90% of cyber crime in world are committed by Nigerians Russia is the most worst nation in terms of scamming/cyber crime. Peace
Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by tojahh(m): 8:31pm On Jul 09, 2014
Nigerians... Scamming Americans since 1759. Lol
Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by Vivalavida99(f): 8:52pm On Jul 09, 2014
KelvinGraphics:
Hey, i have been looking 4 U around NL.
Wia have U been dear??

Do we know each other? undecided
Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by severee(m): 9:15pm On Jul 09, 2014
prophylaxis: The problem is dt d malaysian govt does nt allow foreign students to work at all nt even for one hour n dts nt fair. Hw do dey survive so naija boys must survive

undecided u knw y'all can alwayz sit down for una house nobody force you come malaysia
Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jul 09, 2014
This is true. I know a couple of guys who come in and out of Malaysia. They throw a lot of obcene cash around. I sensed they were scammers, but was unsure of the real nature of their deals. This article clears it up for me.
Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by Braggante(m): 9:46pm On Jul 09, 2014
Abel202: [b]My people,
Its like ethnicity has so blinded many of you that you even fail to comprehend what is written here.
The whole article is based on assumption and insinuations that it is the Nigerian students based in Malaysia that are scamming the love-hungry western women, but does their facts prove them right?
1. The western women said (& believed) they were dating "American men".
2. The said women hadly ever met the "American men".
3. Even the woman that visited Malaysia was further scammed by a "White Lady" porporting to be the lawyer of the "American man".
4. The US officials said the Malaysians lacked the capability to track and prove that these acts were actualy being perpetrated by Nigerian students. Although at diffeerent points they have raided and arrested a few Nigerian students for one reason or the other.

QUESTION IS:
How did the Writer of the article became THE ONE THAT SEES AND KNOWS ALL THINGS, to determine and accertain without any equivocation that the said crime was being committed by Nigerians.
Since the victims never said their predators were Nigerians, and the Malaysian authorities never affirmed categorically that the perpetrators were Nigerians either. Even the US affirmed that the Malaysian authorities lacked the capacity to actualy investigate and prosecute the criminals; SO HOW DID THE WRITER OF THIS ARTICLE CAME ABOUT THE FACT THAT THE SCAMMERS ARE ALL OR MOSTLY NIGERIANS?
HOW? Oh I forgot, America knows all things, abi?

Useless write up being digested by unquestioning people.

Truth is that We Nigerians are the smartest people on earth and I have no freaking apologies for that.
Some Nigerian haters can go ahead to paint us as black as they like, it will not stop us from being the great people we are. It will not stop their women from loving us. It will not stop intelligent people all over the globe from doing business with us.
Whether you love us or hate us, I dont give a damn. Continue to malign us at your own peril. Anuofias!!![/b]

2 Likes

Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by mecussey(m): 10:01pm On Jul 09, 2014
They are only taking back what they took from them years back.

1 Like

Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jul 09, 2014
scam money sweet pass toto,u guys shld just have a taste of it, guys don wise everybody don dey invest and living fine. undecided
Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 09, 2014
Nigerians should be barred from entering any country in the world

2 Likes

Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by ghananotnaija(m): 10:55pm On Jul 09, 2014
Shyna112: Nigerians should be barred from entering any country in the world

Amen! Especially other African countries.
Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by JuanDeDios: 11:22pm On Jul 09, 2014
prophylaxis: The problem is dt d malaysian govt does nt allow foreign students to work at all nt even for one hour n dts nt fair. Hw do dey survive so naija boys must survive
Yea, go ahead. Justify evil - you're told you can't work in Malaysia on a student visa, just go anyway and swindle lonely American women.
Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by mcmeffy(m): 1:03am On Jul 10, 2014
Horayce: This is true. I know a couple of guys who come in and out of Malaysia. They throw a lot of obcene cash around. I sensed they were scammers, but was unsure of the real nature of their deals. This article clears it up for me.
Are u a learner?
Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by okzcorp: 1:20am On Jul 10, 2014
Really? Where are they allowed to go to for a crime committed by a few? If any country in the world can vouch that non of its citizens has participated in a scam, sham or fraud, Let them ban NIGERIA/NIGERIANS first. Nevertheless am not a PROPONENT of illegitimate wealth

Shyna112: Nigerians should be barred from entering any country in the world
Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by mrrock: 1:33am On Jul 10, 2014
mu2sa2: Hard to find a northerner in this type of crime.

Northerners in government stole Nigeria blind between 1980 -1998.
Northeners in the military instituted corruption in Nigeria as we know it.
Northerners are the reason Nigeria is the way it is today. Unless you want to tell me a crime is only a crime, if it happens in Malaysia.

1 Like

Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by klarke(m): 1:37am On Jul 10, 2014
cheguevera: MEN HAVE TO PAY BILLS ABEG....

At whose expense?
some of d victims lose their life savings to these scammers. I've heard of cases where victims ended up committing suicide. The truth is dis kind of money ll never last.

1 Like

Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by cliffm43: 1:42am On Jul 10, 2014
Malaysians government is ascammer as well,even the Malaysian police and immigration are scammers...they want to spoil Nigerian name...do you even know what people are experiencing in Malaysia??NO...united nation are also corrupt because they never protect people...the scams that you talk about here is not Nigerians,but the Malaysians themeselves,both women and men in Malaysia are criminals....i have been in Malaysia..the government even sponsors terrors,boko haram also might be sponsored by the Malaysian government as well...
Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by darne(m): 3:22am On Jul 10, 2014
What ??

BLACKS NOW SMARTER THAN WHITES ??

How On Earth Is This Happening cheesy cheesy cheesy

As far as am concerned Nigerians arent the only foreigners in Malaysia, someone is hating Nigerians getting good education abroad,...Smh !!
Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by Nobody: 4:24am On Jul 10, 2014

Too bad.

My son dey abroad...
Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by Nobody: 4:37am On Jul 10, 2014
mcmeffy: Are u a learner?
where u born with a dog's cu.m in ur mouth? undecided
Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by firefox4th(m): 7:59am On Jul 10, 2014
I pray for all the scammers dat their offsprings shall take after them.
Its a matter of time,result shall start rolling in.Akii fowo ekun raja erin.

1 Like

Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by owobokiri(m): 8:00am On Jul 10, 2014
What is the noise all about? It is reparation time, people! Go to Congo and see real scamming going on for almost eternity! Western countries sponsoring wars that have consumed over 10 million people just to get their hands on Congos over 13 thrillion dollar worth of minerals at the cheapest prices possible. That is what I call genocidal scams! Everybody is quiet about it but once it is a nigerian handling an over greedy westerner, the cnn, bbc, afp, reuters etal will be all over it. No news here.

1 Like

Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by donodion(m): 8:42am On Jul 10, 2014
and people back home wonders what happens to Nigerians been killed abroad and the govt is inactive?...read the excuses given on here.

1 Like

Re: Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. by KelvinGraphics(m): 11:52am On Jul 10, 2014
Vivalavida99:

Do we know each other? undecided
From ur d.p i think i knw U, dat arss looks farmiliar sha but i would have to see d face xo as to confirm my thoughts.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Toyota Corolla Stolen In Awka, Anambra (Photo) / Killer, Gracious David-West To Be Arraigned In Court (Photos) / Abusive Dad Flees As His Daughter Stands Up To Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.