Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:24 AM

Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil (17527 Views)

African People With Blue Eyes...weird... O_o / Red-head African People / Do African Americans Have A Culture? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 7:03pm On Jul 10, 2014
pickabeau1:

i will respond to you if you can answer three questions

- Define culture to you
- What is african culture
- What is uncommon about african culture

Then we can have a discussion

I will address your question in parts as openly and honestly as possible.

Define Culture to me: Culture is one's language, one's tradition, one's way of being. Culture is something that can be broken into many subcategories, the type of food a people eat, the type of clothing a people wear, the type of practices a group of people practice, the type of language a group of people speak, the way a group of people act. Their customs, their belief system, their ways. That is culture to me. Fulbe (Fulani) call it Pulaaku/Pulaagu.

What is African culture: Whilst African culture differs, (much like European culture and Asian culture), there are still elements in many African cultures that make them African. Although Nigeria is a country comprised of 250+ ethnic groups, we do share a lot in common because of the fact that we are in close quarters with one another. The type of clothing we wear, the food we eat, the respect we believe that we must give to elders, most of these elements are practised not only in Nigeria but also in other African countries as well. An example is Jaloff rice, which is Senegambian in origin (which makes me believe that Fulani brought it to Nigeria). Jaloff rice is eaten in every part of West Africa. Eba (which may be Yoruba in origin) is also eaten everywhere in West Africa. A lot of things we have in Nigeria are also in other countries as well. The kind of music for instance that we play in the Sahel is similar amongst different ethnic groups. For example, whilst there are minute differences between Hausa, Tuareg, Fulani, Zarma/Songhai, Mande, Tubu, Kanuri, etc. forms of music they are almost all pretty much the same. They are all derived from a pentatonic like scale. The Sahel also covers a vast array of African countries.

What is uncommon about African culture - When we incorporate foreign elements into African culture(s) (I mean European elements), African cultures really dissipate. An example of this is Cape Verde, Angola, and Mozambique (possibly even Guinea Bissau). All of which are Lusophone countries (Portuguese speaking). Many of them have no more African elements in their culture asides music. Their names are all fully Portuguese, the languages they speak are Portuguese mainly, and the type of culture they practise is Portuguese culture. I will reiterate my previous point, if some Nigerians continue to not place emphasis on their tradition and culture, Nigeria will become another Angola or Cape Verde. How will we even be able to call ourselves Africans if our languages, our food and customs are no longer African but European?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 7:09pm On Jul 10, 2014
koyyes: Well said! As time passes, things advance and situation arises that brings cultural/traditional changes. The op cannot tell us that he ties wrapper to work or farms for a living. It has nothing to do with inferiority complex. We are only moving/evolving with time- that is the key to development! Any culture that depicts wickedness and selfishness that brings tears to the eyes of people deserve to go extinct! After all, the same promoters of our culture/tradition sold their brothers to the whites as slaves for petty things like mirror.
Who sold who's brother? That was illegal in those times.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by anonymous6(f): 7:11pm On Jul 10, 2014
DarryOsh:
I get you. I was actually appalled when last year, on a thread on nairaland, I learned that the government had decided to scrap history as a subject in schools. Before then I always felt history was not prominent enough in our curriculum. I learned the real stuff of the Nigerian civil war from Chimamanda ' s half of a yellow sun. Before then my erroneous belief about d war was as follows:
'the easterners decided to secede because oil was discovered in their region. They were greedy. There was a war, a few died. '
I was so ignorant, I was embarrassed to learn about my ignorance . That was when I started to wonder why all the schools I attended never offered history. I think history should b Compulsory in primary and secondary schools.
Recently I read about the Oyo empire when someone created an elaborate thread about it. It was a shock to learn that I come from such a great place with great history. Of course I knew a lot about the British, Greek, Egyptian and Roman empires but very little about my own Oyo. It is such a shame . We need to teach history as a compulsory subject.
We need to the proactive steps. Our museums are practically dead.
And another problem seems to be that we hardly 'export' our art to d world. If not for movies who would know that in India it is women who pay dowry. But I think it's easier for them sha because they retained their language as lingua franca unlike us.

I didn't even know this but I am not surprised cause some Nigerians don't appreciate their history. It makes sense now why some Nigerians are not appreciating their arts & sculptures, they will just know their history from their elders I guess. However even with history being taught it did not change most Nigerians behaviors, it just slightly caution them. I guess history will be a extra-curricular class now in Nigeria(cause I have heard from Nigerians that most schools offer it on the side but they are not part of the main curriculum). Lastly it could be that the Nigerian government doesn't want to take responsibility for their wrong doings in the past and each tribe in Nigeria has a different historical account to tell that maybe they think it isn't worth it, which is sad.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 7:14pm On Jul 10, 2014
fulanigirl: These attacks on women and abandoning their cultures is getting old. I am proud of my culture and I don't need anyone else's approval. My dad is Fulani but I dong speak any Fulani. He grew up around Hausa people and that's the language he was brought up to speak. Please explain to me why that makes him any less of a Fulani man? As a Fulani person I'm expected to like fura and nono but I hate it. Do you think that makes me any less of a fulani person?

My mum is Hausa but my Hausa is terrible and I don't always speak it. However I do read the Hausa books really well. However my cousins whose Hausa is perfect do everything to represent their culture but yet they can't read it. Which one of us abandoned our culture here?

I have my traditional Hausa clothes but I only wear it on special occasions because I think It makes me look really good. I guess I am abandoning my culture?

So if a woman chooses to have a white wedding, how does that affect you in any way? Each to their own!!

So you are choosing these things to define me? Don't you think that's kinda shallow? I am only proud of my culture based on clothing, language and the type of music I listen to?

You are who you are regardless of anything. I will always be Fulani and Hausa regardless of what you find to be acceptable and I am damn well proud of it

Oh gosh ooo, I'm just seeing this now. Mata kure ke kishi, mata kure ke ta shi cheesy

It has nothing to do with you being a woman, I never mentioned women in my post(s) dear lollllll. In regards to the white wedding........I am starting to lose my grasp of the English language thinking of it lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by alienYOUTH(m): 7:16pm On Jul 10, 2014
History is only relevant if it helped achieve a laudable Today.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by pickabeau1: 7:16pm On Jul 10, 2014
Fulaman198:

I will address your question in parts as openly and honestly as possible.

Define Culture to me: Culture is one's language, one's tradition, one's way of being. Culture is something that can be broken into many subcategories, the type of food a people eat, the type of clothing a people wear, the type of practices a group of people practice, the type of language a group of people speak, the way a group of people act. Their customs, their belief system, their ways. That is culture to me. Fulbe (Fulani) call it Pulaaku/Pulaagu.

Excellent answer which I agree with
However I will throw another question to you

I like the illustration of jellof rice you used
I have eaten the Senegalese version and it was wow!
So I know that the variant I'm used to around is an imitation.

Which brings to this q

Sub cultures can be changed or influenced by another culture however the main culture bloc is not affected.

Example..Yoruba influenced some aspect of Bini culture but the bini culture is distinct in its own right.
-at what point or in which magnitude can a removal of a sub component be termed detrimental to the vulture itself

What is African culture: Whilst African culture differs, (much like European culture and Asian culture), there are still elements in many African cultures that make them African. Although Nigeria is a country comprised of 250+ ethnic groups, we do share a lot in common because of the fact that we are in close quarters with one another. The type of clothing we wear, the food we eat, the respect we believe that we must give to elders, most of these elements are practised not only in Nigeria but also in other African countries as well. An example is Jaloff rice, which is Senegambian in origin (which makes me believe that Fulani brought it to Nigeria). Jaloff rice is eaten in every part of West Africa. Eba (which may be Yoruba in origin) is also eaten everywhere in West Africa. A lot of things we have in Nigeria are also in other countries as well. The kind of music for instance that we play in the Sahel is similar amongst different ethnic groups. For example, whilst there are minute differences between Hausa, Tuareg, Fulani, Zarma/Songhai, Mande, Tubu, Kanuri, etc. forms of music they are almost all pretty much the same. They are all derived from a pentatonic like scale. The Sahel also covers a vast array of African countries.

Very true but you are also aware most of these cultures have myths which subscribe to an eastern origin

Events Led to migration hence the commonality you talk about
However there was a mixture as they met aboriginal people's in the new territories, were affected by conquering or conquered tribes, geographical limitations

These influence culture

Do you agree?

Second question

What influences culture

What is uncommon about African culture - When we incorporate foreign elements into African culture(s) (I mean European elements), African cultures really dissipate. An example of this is Cape Verde, Angola, and Mozambique (possibly even Guinea Bissau). All of which are Lusophone countries (Portuguese speaking). Many of them have no more African elements in their culture asides music. Their names are all fully Portuguese, the languages they speak are Portuguese mainly, and the type of culture they practise is Portuguese culture. I will reiterate my previous point, if some Nigerians continue to not place emphasis on their tradition and culture, Nigeria will become another Angola or Cape Verde. How will we even be able to call ourselves Africans if our languages, our food and customs are no longer African but European?

At least you agree there is European culture

I appreciate your concerns..and they are real
When you answer the first question above we can debate further

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 7:18pm On Jul 10, 2014
bigfrancis21: Yes I still do. smiley

I know you do, you and Odumchi make me proud.

3 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by anonymous6(f): 7:19pm On Jul 10, 2014
alienYOUTH: History is only relevant if it helped achieve a laudable Today.

It is also relevant when it teaches people of their identity as a person culturally and ethnically historically and etc. Being born and raised in America from Nigerian parents made me appreciate that, and will always be part of my identity.

History has taught Nigeria that they don't want war again but if their history is not taught, they are risking a possibility of a repeated history of backwardness
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by TerryCarr(m): 7:25pm On Jul 10, 2014
koyyes: I really don't give a damn about what you think. Have you studied or visited the whole continents in the world to make that baseless conclusion that its only african cultures that are being 'dictated' by external societies. Its very simple, if you want to prove a point, go and farm,don't wear western clothes, don't have anything to do with anything made possible by western influence which includes being a member of nairaland, don't go to hospitals,don't even go to school or speak english anymore, relocate to the remote part of your village and live there till you expire. Look who is talking about being in denial, even the tribe in south africa that walks nude make and prove their points better. DAMN DELUSIONAL HYPOCRITE!
true but most of these places still practices there cultures, religions, customs and languages even in urban areas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4CeVzbHRZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q3DufVsktc

you made a common Fallacy that westernization should equal modernization which is not true. you can have your hospitals, schools, roads etc without having to adopt "white" culture like most of the gulf nations

so why can't Africans do the same
[img]http://3.bp..com/-7i7AE7bLz9w/Th8paUq87vI/AAAAAAABpts/gQ_RycH7kO4/s1600/DSC_4156.JPG[/img]

4 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by anonymous6(f): 7:28pm On Jul 10, 2014
TerryCarr:
true but most of these places still practices there cultures, religions, customs and languages even in urban areas

you made a common Fallacy that westernization should equal modernization which is not true. you can have your hospitals, schools, roads etc with having to adopt "white" culture like most of the gulf nations
[img]http://www.dubaicustoms.gov.ae/NewsImages/01dcAnnual%20Book%20Fair02.JPG[/img]

[img]http://3.bp..com/-7i7AE7bLz9w/Th8paUq87vI/AAAAAAABpts/gQ_RycH7kO4/s1600/DSC_4156.JPG[/img]

Amen, there is nothing wrong in going to the hospital and wearing a suit for a job interview but that shouldn't stop you from practicing your culture, ridiculous. In the middle east and Asia they practice their culture but still have their hospitals, factories, schools, restaurants and etc but its a issue with when africans do it. Good example

4 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jul 10, 2014
kingston277:
Who sold who's brother? That was illegal in those times.
I tell you, if you read Pre-Nigeria's history, you'll understand why we have our never ending problems today. Our attitude did not develop over night. It's an in built inheritance.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 7:35pm On Jul 10, 2014
pickabeau1:

Sub cultures can be changed or influenced by another culture however the main culture bloc is not affected.

Example..Yoruba influenced some aspect of Bini culture but the bini culture is distinct in its own right.
-at what point or in which magnitude can a removal of a sub component be termed detrimental to the vulture itself

Very true but you are also aware most of these cultures have myths which subscribe to an eastern origin

Events Led to migration hence the commonality you talk about
However there was a mixture as they met aboriginal people's in the new territories, were affected by conquering or conquered tribes, geographical limitations

These influence culture

Do you agree?

Second question

What influences culture

At least you agree there is European culture

I appreciate your concerns..and they are real
When you answer the first question above we can debate further

Absolutely, the Bini (Edo) people influenced the Yoruba and vice versa. However, that is due to the fact that they live in close contact with one another. The Edos and Yorubas are neighbours. At one point, there were even many people from present day Edo state that spoke Yoruba language. As aforementioned, I can understand neighbouring cultures influencing one another. Like the Wolof and Serer influencing the Fulani in Senegal that many Senegalese Fulani have adopted the word "Ndeysaan" which means forgiveness in their Fulani dialect. In Nigeria, many Fulani Fulani have adopted Hausa words like "Sai or Sey" which means "until" into our own language.

I am not worried about other Africans influencing other Africans. I am more worried about Africans kicking their respective cultures to the curb (which is becoming a worldwide phenomenon). The most widely spoken language (not talking about things from a population perspective) is English.........why? English is not an African language, but it seems to have gained the highest amount of usage around the world. Pretty soon people will say, hmmm what is the point of speaking my language when I can just communicate in English. To me that is epic fail and I'm glad I won't see that this lifetime I hope (I'm 30 years old I still have many years to live God willing grin). So as a young man, I know I'm supposed to think it's cool that Africans are no longer behaving 'African', but I don't think it's cool. I think it's quite sad and appalling.

How many African tales do you know? Recently, I acquired an app from the Google Play Store that is most likely Yoruba, but tells tales children folktales that made me feel very happy inside. Will those tales and stories still be around even 30 years from now?

As a person who has a lot of experience in the sciences, maths and engineering, I do agree with one person who stated that with the advent of technology, people are beginning to be less and less like themselves. With the advent of things like Youtube, People can watch videos and movies on how Westerners behave and try to act and behave in a similar manner. Is there no shame in that itself? Whatever happened to being ones self?

Therefore, to answer your second question, there are many things that influence culture these days, it is not only interaction with other groups of people, it's also the fact that human beings are more than willing to give up their own culture for a culture they feel or deem is superior to their own. There are many a Nigerian who have never come across Americans, but since they have Youtube or other video streaming sites, they think they are imitating the way Americans behave.

Look at how many Nigerians who try to talk and imitate American accents in Naija sef. That should tell you something my brother.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 7:39pm On Jul 10, 2014
broadminded: In a world where bio-tech engineers redefine life's boundaries and fashion designers dictate dress code, civilization and most importantly social media influence have all helped most of us flush our very own culture, tradition, language and heritage down the wrong tunnel.

100% agree, though I don't agree that Biotech Engineers have anything to do with it. Everything else you said though is absolutely true.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by TerryCarr(m): 7:42pm On Jul 10, 2014
koyyes: I tell you, if you read Pre-Nigeria's history, you'll understand why we have our never ending problems today. Our attitude did not develop over night. It's an in built inheritance.
they did not sell there brother they sold there neighbor, thats like says japan invaded there brother in WW2
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/Japanese_Empire_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg[/img]
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jul 10, 2014
TerryCarr:

you made a common Fallacy that westernization should equal modernization which is not true. you can have your hospitals, schools, roads etc without having to adopt "white" culture like most of the gulf nations

Good point, but don't forget that the country you are using as an example has a unified religion-ISLAM which has its own culture and Tradition. Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that the lingua franca there is strictly ARABIC. That basically makes it easier for them to have one VOICE just like the AMERICANS who speak only ENGLISH. But do we have just one religion- NO. Do we have one language- NO. Do we have one voice- NO. So if I say we are united, I would be lying to myself when I can clearly see religious and tribal wars around me and how 1,2 or 3 major tribes are claiming superiority over the rest. THIS IS JUST ONE FACTOR- A HOUSE THAT IS DIVIDED CANNOT STAND AGAINST EXTERNAL INFLUENCES. The consequence of using a foreign language as our unifying lingua franca is what we are facing today. Why? Because we are not united, we do not believe in ourselves and worst of all, we are pretentious and hate each other. Read your history books, you'll understand why.

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jul 10, 2014
TerryCarr:
they did not sell there brother they sold there neighbor, thats like says japan invaded there brother in WW2
[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/Japanese_Empire_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg[/img]
looooool, you see why we have a problem? So you cannot see your fellow tribe man as your brother? Wonderful!!!!
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 8:04pm On Jul 10, 2014
koyyes: Good point, but don't forget that the country you are using as an example has a unified religion-ISLAM which has its own culture and Tradition. Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that the lingua franca there is strictly ARABIC. That basically makes it easier for them to have one VOICE just like the AMERICANS who speak only ENGLISH. But do we have just one religion- NO. Do we have one language- NO. Do we have one voice- NO. So if I say we are united, I would be lying to myself when I can clearly see religious and tribal wars around me and how 1,2 or 3 major tribes are claiming superiority over the rest. THIS IS JUST ONE FACTOR- A HOUSE THAT IS DIVIDED CANNOT STAND AGAINST EXTERNAL INFLUENCES. The consequence of using a foreign language as our unifying lingua franca is what we are facing today. Why? Because we are not united, we do not believe in ourselves and worst of all, we are pretentious and hate each other. Read your history books, you'll understand why.

To a certain extent, some of what you say is true. Some of the things you talk about (religious wars and ethnic wars) are not truly happening.

Boko Haram are a terrorist group only for themselves, Muslims and Christians in Nigeria are not fighting each other. Boko Haram is fighting Nigeria, Chad, Niger and Cameroon.

I don't know about you, but I love all Nigerians, I don't let what my so-called leaders do influence my mindset or way of thinking. If your leader tells you to hate another group of people because they are different from you, don't listen to them. Be your own person. The problem with Africans is that they are not their own people.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 10, 2014
Fulaman198:

To a certain extent, some of what you say is true. Some of the things you talk about (religious wars and ethnic wars) are not truly happening.

Boko Haram are a terrorist group only for themselves, Muslims and Christians in Nigeria are not fighting each other. Boko Haram is fighting Nigeria, Chad, Niger and Cameroon.

I don't know about you, but I love all Nigerians, I don't let what my so-called leaders do influence my mindset or way of thinking. If your leader tells you to hate another group of people because they are different from you, don't listen to them. Be your own person. The problem with Africans is that they are not their own people.
Thank goodness I didn't mention war between muslims and christians because I know that those are not the only religions in nigeria- there are pagans, Buddhists etc. Even christianity has different denominations. We are just too diverse! But regardless of where you come from or what language you speak , if you have the same passion as I do, you are automatically my brother/sister.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 8:27pm On Jul 10, 2014
koyyes: I tell you, if you read Pre-Nigeria's history, you'll understand why we have our never ending problems today. Our attitude did not develop over night. It's an in built inheritance.
Developed from where in the pre-colonial times? Does Nigeria build paved roads? Have transparent, foreword thinking governance? Evolving technology? Recreational activities? Clean water? Plumbing? Proper health care? Proper law enforcing system? Clean streets? Unique, inspiring architecture? Massive building projects? A powerful army that can put up resistance to the west? Sense of unity? Self-sufficiency? Equal opportunities for everyone? Acceptance of people from all religions and backgrounds? Put it's people before foreigners? All of these things our forefathers had in those days, and you continue to look down on advancement.

Have you looked at pre-colonial Nigeria? Because historians around the world will tell you that pre-Nigeria is renown for many human achievements including building two the worlds largest man-made structures(wall of benin & sungbo's eredo), being among the first to develop iron/steel technology and among the first to develop water-craft. But you still look down on advancement. No wonder traditionalists with-draw from politics so they don't have to deal with backwards people from the rest of the country, if our forefathers could travel to the 21st century, they would take one look at this hell-hole,shake their heads in shame, and get a visa. I would too.
smdh.

3 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 8:30pm On Jul 10, 2014
koyyes: Thank goodness I didn't mention war between muslims and christians because I know that those are not the only religions in nigeria- there are pagans, Buddhists etc. Even christianity has different denominations. We are just too diverse! But regardless of where you come from or what language you speak , if you have the same passion as I do, you are automatically my brother/sister.

I understand, and I agree with that mentality. We should never hate one another based on each others differences. That I agree with 110%. At the same time though, I want Africans to be proud of who they are regardless of background.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 8:31pm On Jul 10, 2014
kingston277:
Developed from where in the pre-colonial times? Do we build paved roads? Have transparent, foreword thinking governance? Evolving technology? Recreational activities? Clean water? Plumbing? Proper health care? Proper law enforcing system? Clean streets? Unique, inspiring architecture? Massive building projects? A powerful army that can put up resistance to the west? Sense of unity? Self-sufficiency? Equal opportunities for everyone? Acceptance of people from all religions and backgrounds? Put our people before foreigners? All of these things our forefathers had in those days, and you continue to look down on advancement.

Have you looked at pre-colonial Nigeria? Because historians around the world will tell you that pre-Nigeria is renown for many human achievements including building two the worlds largest man-made structures(wall of benin & sungbo's eredo), being among the first to develop iron/steel technology and among the first to develop water-craft. But you still look down on advancement. No wonder traditionalists with-draw from politics so they don't have to deal with backwards people from the rest of the country, if our forefathers could travel to the 21st century, they would take one look at this hell-hole,shake their heads in shame, and get a visa. I would too.
smdh.

Lollll well-said
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 8:37pm On Jul 10, 2014
alienYOUTH: Irrespective of where you come from, it is where u r going to that matters; for of more importance is the end of a thing than the beginning.

I'm not going to mince words and i'll be very brief.

It is only a reprobate that sees light and decides to live in the dark. The reason why we are adults is to be able to judge for ourselves what is good and follow accordingly. Everyman will be held responsible for his actions and beliefs, and he will subsequently be judged by them; so i'm not going to force my beliefs down anyone's throat, I'm just stating the logic behind my beliefs, you state yours.

Not everything the "western world" has to offer is good & pure, but i dare say 90% of what we are today is because of the enlightenment they have brought back to Africa. The "White men" did not drop from space, we were all created the same time; but they chose to leave culture and tradition behind and seek knowledge.

Africa is the birthplace of the human race, this has been proven scientifically. if you look at the map of the world, you will see that the further away from Africa a country is, the more advanced they appear to be; this is because some select few decided to leave the comfort of tradition behind and seek enlightenment.

I dare say, my "African" tradition has little to offer me besides laziness and darkness; I will be glad if someone can enlighten me otherwise. If the "white people" refused to come back to Africa to enlighten us, we will still be sitting on our myopic, though content, prehistoric butts.

The people who refuse to be negatively "westernized" (China, Russia, etc) have cultures and traditions that work and it is obvious they are progressing, i will definitely be singing a different tune if my African tradition could boast of the same. So in the absence of that, i would gladly shove my dark culture down the drain and embrace that which gives me light and a better life, after all, culture was made by/for man and not vice versa.

Anything in life that plans to remain relevant has to evolve and adapt; be it a business, culture, or even human beings themselves. So if the hypocritical few on this forum decide they want to set their traditions and culture in stone, then only time will tell, because even stone will succumb to erosion with time.

Do you even know what enlightenment is? It is the question of traditions and beliefs in a society, Africans have been doing that for ages.
It sometimes goes hand-in-hand with atheism & skepticism which has also been with Africans in the for of the Pygmies, Zulu, Cameroonian beliefs, etc.
http://atheism.about.com/od/atheismhistory/a/PrimitiveAtheismSkepticism.htm
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 8:46pm On Jul 10, 2014
DarryOsh:

I get you. I was actually appalled when last year, on a thread on nairaland, I learned that the government had decided to scrap history as a subject in schools. Before then I always felt history was not prominent enough in our curriculum. I learned the real stuff of the Nigerian civil war from Chimamanda ' s half of a yellow sun. Before then my erroneous belief about d war was as follows:

'the easterners decided to secede because oil was discovered in their region. They were greedy. There was a war, a few died. '

I was so ignorant, I was embarrassed to learn about my ignorance . That was when I started to wonder why all the schools I attended never offered history. I think history should b Compulsory in primary and secondary schools.

Recently I read about the Oyo empire when someone created an elaborate thread about it. It was a shock to learn that I come from such a great place with great history. Of course I knew a lot about the British, Greek, Egyptian and Roman empires but very little about my own Oyo. It is such a shame . We need to teach history as a compulsory subject.
I'm caught on the fence about weather the cancellation of history courses was a good or bad thing, because if the curriculum is majority colonial/post-colonial history and outdated, then I agree it should probably be scrapped until Nigerian liberate themselves from inferiority complex motivating them to fabricate history for their personal westernized agenda. From what I've heard all it seems to do is glorify the colonialists and omit pre-colonial achievements. Any "history" course that fails to include the history of our great thinkers before the fall of civilization should be scrapped.

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Fulaman198(m): 8:47pm On Jul 10, 2014
kingston277:
I'm caught on the fence about weather the cancellation of history courses was a good or bad thing, because if the curriculum is majority colonial/post-colonial history and outdated, then I agree it should be scrapped. From what I've heard all it seems to do is glorify the colonialists and omit pre-colonial achievements. Any "history" course that fails to include the history of our great thinkers before the fall of civilization should be scrapped.

Well said

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by GooseBaba: 8:51pm On Jul 10, 2014

The height of conscious buffoonery. Is this the enlightenment you gained from condemning your ancestors...? Tufiakwa.!!

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jul 10, 2014
kingston277:
Developed from where in the pre-colonial times? Do we build paved roads? Have transparent, foreword thinking governance? Evolving technology? Recreational activities? Clean water? Plumbing? Proper health care? Proper law enforcing system? Clean streets? Unique, inspiring architecture? Massive building projects? A powerful army that can put up resistance to the west? Sense of unity? Self-sufficiency? Equal opportunities for everyone? Acceptance of people from all religions and backgrounds? Put our people before foreigners? All of these things our forefathers had in those days, and you continue to look down on advancement.

smdh.
looool, wtf!!! So why are we here today?where did we go wrong?oh, you want to blame western influence right? In order words, we were better of before we were forcefully married together as nigerians because right now, we are all dum and can't build a simple bridge without the white men interfering right?Like the typical nigerian that you are. Youths of these days just lack sense of truth. Do yourself a favor and read your history book and stop giving lame excuses!! Pffft,Traditionalists kor, Local govt chairman ni!
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by AfricanApple(f): 9:07pm On Jul 10, 2014
pickabeau1:

Thank you...i agree with the first
However I would like to know what you mean as culture as origin.

Secondly do you think African culture itself is common and monolithic

The question you did not answer
You said there is nothing common with the white man..was what is there is not common in african and non cultures

Are u saying they don't have language. Festivals. Way of greetings, value system etc

Explain..
u knw most often pple do behave according 2 wat their culture teaches dem, say for instance, d yorubas and d way they greet pple including strangers. so u see if u see a psn who greets all d time and very well, ur first guess wl dat d psn is yoruba. if i tell u my best food is amala and ewedu, ur first guess will be dat i'm yoruba so our culture defines where we orignate from

non africans especially d whites may do festivities and other cultures,but their culture does not tally with ours in d least. for xample, here in nigeria, despite dat our culture

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 9:13pm On Jul 10, 2014
History only affects today if the inhabitants of this time period do not sit on their fat a.sses waiting for handout.
If I burned all records documenting Sir Issac Newton's existence, he would be wiped from history all together.
As Karl Khan states...
Karl Khan: A hallowed past is not a dead past -- it is the foundation for the works of the present and future. The past dies when its heirs fail to increase it.
Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by AfricanApple(f): 9:38pm On Jul 10, 2014
AfricanApple: u knw most often pple do behave according 2 wat their culture teaches dem, say for instance, d yorubas and d way they greet pple including strangers. so u see if u see a psn who greets all d time and very well, ur first guess wl dat d psn is yoruba. if i tell u my best food is amala and ewedu, ur first guess will be dat i'm yoruba so our culture defines where we orignate from

non africans especially d whites may do festivities and other cultures,but their culture does not tally with ours in d least. for xample, here in nigeria, despite dat our culture
we still have some little little tinz in common like food, abominations etc
but whites ways of life dont ever coincide with any african culture

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by kingston277(m): 9:56pm On Jul 10, 2014
koyyes: looool, wtf!!! So why are we here today?where did we go wrong?oh, you want to blame western influence right? In order words, we were better of before we were forcefully married together as nigerians because right now, we are all dum and can't build a simple bridge without the white men interfering right?Like the typical nigerian that you are.
1stly, I'm not Nigerian, check my profile. But that doesn't stop me from assisting in the growth and appreciation of cultures I greatly admire.

Do yourself a favor and read your history book and stop giving lame excuses!!!

You...are talking to me...about reading a history book? grin
Did just join NL or something? There are several threads that people put time and effort into to educate the likes of you. Please, I beg of you, don't let these peoples threads go to waste.
https://www.nairaland.com/582176/benin-art-architecture/
https://www.nairaland.com/1003303/oyo-empire-1300ce
https://www.nairaland.com/1235003/kongo-kingdom...a-underrated-kingdom
https://www.nairaland.com/1796503/traditional-african-boat-designs
https://www.nairaland.com/1249503/interesting-images-precolonial-early-colonial
And try to learn something from this forum too.
http://historum.com/middle-eastern-african-history/58840-diversity-early-african-architecture-ruins-thread.html

2 Likes

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Lovless(m): 10:32pm On Jul 10, 2014
I don't even know any more. I'm pretty much on the fence.

It's sad that our culture is gradually fading away and it hurts me a lot, However, there are some customs and traditions that are just way to primitive and barbaric that they should be done away with completely. No one should dictate how some else should live his or her life. Stuff like marrying off young under aged girls to some middle aged man is just inhumane and disgusting. This is the 21st century you either evolve or die.

But other things like language, attire, (humane)festivals, e.t.c should all be preserved and built upon. Personally I believe we should stop blaming westernisation for all our problems. The white people enlightened us after all. If not for them, we would still probably be killings twins and doing all matter of other inhumane acts. Though sometimes, I wish they hadn't even set foot here since civilizations tend to evolve with time, its not like they didn't engage in barbaric and inhumane practices in the past; They came way to early. If they had just left us alone we would have eventually evolved at our own pace. However, If that had happen, I probably wouldn't even be here typing this.

Personally, I think it is very sad that Nigerian History isn't taught in schools. The little Nigerian history I know is from reading articles on-line and from the stories my grand parents told me. Bringing it back would definitely have an incredible Impact.

1 Like

Re: Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jul 10, 2014
kingston277:
1stly, I'm not Nigerian, check my profile. But that doesn't stop me from assisting in the growth and appreciation of cultures I greatly admire.

You...are talking to me...about reading a history book? grin
Did just join NL or something? There are several threads that people put time and effort into to educate the likes of you. Please, I beg of you, don't let these peoples threads go to waste.
https://www.nairaland.com/582176/benin-art-architecture/
https://www.nairaland.com/1003303/oyo-empire-1300ce
https://www.nairaland.com/1235003/kongo-kingdom...a-underrated-kingdom
https://www.nairaland.com/1796503/traditional-african-boat-designs
https://www.nairaland.com/1249503/interesting-images-precolonial-early-colonial
And try to learn something from this forum too.
http://historum.com/middle-eastern-african-history/58840-diversity-early-african-architecture-ruins-thread.html
You should have said that a long time ago so I would have in turn told you to step aside or better still scram!!! What solutions have you given so far?What makes you think you are in the position to tell us what to do? You don't know half of Nigeria's history nor do you feel the 'heat'. What gives you that right! You of all people should know better that nigeria's problems are best solved by nigerians- that is what you should be telling us and not the nonsense you've been spewing!! I really hope for your sake that you are not a black forming canadian citizen-that will just make you the worst hypocrite ever! Keep your links to yourself. I am a nigerian and I don't need a FOREIGNER to lecture me on my history!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Yoruba Boys And Igbo Gals / Abeg Who Can Teach Me Ekiti? / How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.