Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,849 members, 7,802,710 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:41 PM

July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife (45614 Views)

Neglected Burnt Room In Obafemi Awolowo University - Awolowo Hall / Moremi Hall In Obafemi Awolowo University On Fire. / Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by bece: 6:34pm On Jul 10, 2014
bad day devil drink water
that was my last semester in oau
ran from moremi to Awo cafe to check what was happening ,Africa was packed with a matress from Awo hall it was a gory sight
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by ademega(m): 6:41pm On Jul 10, 2014
Are u angered by my preaching ? I hope the preaching is not met for people like u ?
edimat007: Narrate d storyline, dat is wat U read not preaching & admonition.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by onyxo76(m): 6:46pm On Jul 10, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
You definitely know Long John & Big Jyde ...; Ifode actually repeated a year to become your mate .
I know all those people you mentioned u know !

I remember Dapo reading the citation at Eviano's burial at the cemetery some days after the shootings ...
Do you remember Friday Ujuju?
Great Ife !!!
long john and big jyde ... how can i forget those 2 ? big jyde our ifumsa presido then... i wonder where they are now.. greatest ife jare...
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Bigsteveg(m): 6:58pm On Jul 10, 2014
chacoonder: There is nothing like yahoo yahoo in English language. It is called cybercrime.

I had to call it that because dats d language we all understand...and dats how we call it,an average youth can quickly grab yahoo yahoo. Thanks all d same.

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by bong4(m): 6:59pm On Jul 10, 2014
Coldfeet: Thank God for your life. On this same day JULY 10 2011 Lagos and its environs (and most part of NIG) witnessed the worst rainfall ever!! Many lives were lost! Houses were submerged! Businesses crippled! Mothers searched for their children... One case still gives me the chills! Little Anthony an 18months old baby(an only child) drowned in the drains behind where his mother sells recharge cards sad sad I remember this incident so vividly because I had gone out to buy recharge card from her when they were searching for him, it wasn't long when a little girl said "see Tony for gutter!!" cry cry cry the poor kid obviously gave a good fight at life cos his diaper was tattered and loosed from him! He was dead. Rest in peace lil Tony! Rest in Peace Eviano (two preventable deaths). Its July 10 today baba God na Your hand we dey.

july 10, the day a sitting governor in nigeria, chris ngige was kidnapped.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Superstar007(m): 7:15pm On Jul 10, 2014
Hmm. . First time I'm hearing this. Its a really sad story, Rip to the dead.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by siegfried99(m): 7:19pm On Jul 10, 2014
Rest in peace cry
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by topetobi(m): 7:22pm On Jul 10, 2014
my name sake,my teacher at OLF,I didn't fancy ur style then, but now I tink i know wat u are worth! Rest in perfect peace sir!
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by PBundles(m): 7:23pm On Jul 10, 2014
Let me guess in true Nigerian fashion this POS of a VC is till alive in another job acting like nothing happened and the poor students who have died, did so in vain...Correct arent I. Why am I not surprised. angry

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by omogbadebo(m): 7:50pm On Jul 10, 2014
@dolphinife
Bros, I hardly comment on nairaland, though I have religiously visited nairaland everyday for the past 4 years or there about. However, some of us are too passionate about Great Ife and the struggles against all forms of oppression to keep quiet in the face of blatant misrepresentation of facts and attempts at historical revisionism.
Great Ife was unarguably the only campus where cultists did not succeed in getting a foothold. ALMOST the whole student body were anti cultists. Within inner circles, it was the notion that that brutal attack was carried out by a coalition of cultic forces from other schools to 'punish us for our stubbornness'.

IF there were any closeted cult activities before July 10, 1999, it all ended on that very sad day.

I was a PG student then, having lived in Awo from Part 1 to MBA. I was also part of the struggle.

4 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by semitunde: 7:59pm On Jul 10, 2014
OrlandoOwoh: If the claim by one of the posters here that the cultists drove into the campus to the sports complex car park at 3:30AM is anything to go by, then the gate men at the main gate or the one at Road 7 would have aided them. The reason being that at night the gates are locked till 5AM.

They came in much before then and mixed with the crowd of strange faces on campus.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by zudozz: 8:26pm On Jul 10, 2014
Tanx 2 Nairaland again I am able to read that this Eviano EKELEMU boy was innocent. His parents were members of GKS church where my sister was a member 2. I consoled my sister n told her Cultist dont kill none cultist but she swore n told me this guy could never be a cult member. I was in my 300 level in Another school n that day was Bloody as d news got it. I doubt if they were just 5 or 6 killed? U know in our country d police n d authorities dont like 2 give d exact no of people killed in such incidence. CULTISM IS NONSENSE. IF REAL MATURED MEN ARE D ONLY ONES THAT GO TO SCHOOL THERE WONT BE ANYTHING LIKE CULTISM BECOS ONLY TEENAGERS CAN BE DECEIVED INTO IT. AND WHEN U JOIN UR LIFE LL B IN DANGER 4 EVERYDAY U SPEND ON CAMPUS N IF U ARE STUPID N WERE SO MUCH INTO IT GIVE URSELF 4-5 YRS AFTER U LEAVE SCHOOL U LL REGRET D DECISION. OBVIOUSLY U WOULD HAVE DROPPED OUT N BECAME A NUISANCE in D SOCIETY IF U RE LUCKY 2 B ALIVE N B4 U KNOW IT UR FRIENDS WHO DID NOT JOIN CULTISM WILL START 2 GET JOBS SETTLE DOWN N LEAD A MEANINGFUL LIFE. SO I ASK ANY TEENAGER OR UNDERGRADUATE READING THIS POST NEVER TO JOIN CULT IN UR HIGH INSTITUTION BECOS IT IS NONSENSE N RUBBISH. U GAIN NOTHING RATHER U LL BE EXPOSED TO HARD DRUGS N ENDANGER UR LIFE N FUTURE BEING AT DEVILISH PLACES LIKE IN A CEMETERY AT MID NIGHT (WHETHER U LIKE IT OR NOT). SOME MEMBERS WHO U LL START TO MINGLE WITH ARE HARDENED CRIMINALS WHO COVER THEMSELVES WITH SCHOOL IN D DAY TIME N VISIT HERBALIST N POSS GUNS. SO I BEG U OUR YOUNGER ONES. SAY NO 2 CULTISM. D DISADVANTAGE OUTWEIGHS D ADVANTAGE. IN FACT THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE AT ALL. ALSO IF THERE IS ANY CLASH BTW RIVAL CULTS SOME OF THE MEMBERS THAT DO JUJU WILL GO UNHARMED WHILE INNOCENT MUMMY PIKIN LL B KILLED BECOS RIVAL CULT DID NOT ASK U WHETHER U JOINED YESTERDAY OR U RE SO MUCH INTO IT OR NOT. THIS IS MY FREE ADVISE TO ALL N i dont need 2 tell u that i am writing from experience.

4 Likes

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by biomedixexcel(m): 8:35pm On Jul 10, 2014
Noted
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by luvmijeje(f): 8:47pm On Jul 10, 2014
I'm having goosebumps reading this thread. I'll have really love to read the view, thought and eye-witness account From Legacy. I'm wondering what he's doing right now. Does he have any regret? Seun should please do an investigative report on this.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by kingphilip(m): 9:05pm On Jul 10, 2014
bong4:

july 10, the day a sitting governor in nigeria, chris ngige was kidnapped.
Things de happen for Nigeria o
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by funshyboi(m): 9:27pm On Jul 10, 2014
ademega: Thank you my brother , i was thinking same but confused because there was one omole as vc recently.
is he the same omole?
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by dcasca(m): 9:44pm On Jul 10, 2014
This sad incident happened when I was in part 2, we were supposed to have a computer test (Csc 201 or so) the next morning. I just came back from the class around 4am and was preparing to sleep. The keggites were doing their own thing (having fun) when suddenly I heard the first gun shot, this was exactly 4:30am, I thought it was part of fun the keggites were having, the second gunshot was fired and one of the cultists shouted 'Awo boys must leave this school...this is just the begining...come out...we are coming back tomorrow'. It was at this point that I knew that we were in for it. Everybody put out their lights, I was staying in blk 7, one of the victims, Efe was shot dead right under my room, the operation in Awo hall lasted for just 30 minutes, it was when they (the cultists) left that we heard of Afrika's death. May the souls of all the victims rest in peace.

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by funshyboi(m): 9:45pm On Jul 10, 2014
LARRYDKING:

no wonder the sch is one of the leading schs with high cultism activities.
maybe sha
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by bennyrazz: 10:02pm On Jul 10, 2014
Everybody with their own version of the incident. and all this senseless killings as added what to the portfolio of the killers? they must be living a life of regret now. Well, a magazine was printed out about the gruesome killings that took place in OAU then, early 2000 I think, the front page or the back page had the picture of Afrika with his big afro raising up is right hand. It had pictures of those that were killed including a complete picture of the SUG members at that timeI my big cousin finished from OAU before that time so he gisted us that time, before then was the ife and modakeke crisis which he escaped being murdered. really don't want to talk about this cult issue cuz they all know themselves and most of them are on this forum. Some are now politicians and some political thugs while others have repented and are now full time men of God.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by compressor(m): 10:18pm On Jul 10, 2014
Sitting here in my room reading through this sad stories of a past not too distant reminiscent of todays occurrences. It just occurred to me that we can actually use FACEBOOK to fish out all the supposed cultist we have mentioned in this story and other known cultists as to name and shame them. Time has come to use modern tools as a means of fighting for our society and generations unborn.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by skiduski(m): 10:20pm On Jul 10, 2014
I was staying in block 8 awo hall: ITF taekwondo room during the attacks and i barely escaped with my life. I ran from Awo hall following the bush part that led through the back of health center to Fajuyi hall, little did i know that they were on my trail. Immediately i got to Fajuyi hall i was besieged by people that wanted to know what was happening in awo hall, as i stood there explaining i heard a gunshot behind me and all hell broke loose. i took off and ran through Fajuyi hall and headed for sports hall but knowing how unsafe it is to go to any hall as it can be under attack at any time i headed for sports center. i met a guy along the way and we both walked to sports center hoping we would find safety there but alas we almost lost our lives if not for caution. As we stood around cricket pitch we saw a group people approaching from the gym area, there was no light so we could only see their silhouettes as they approached the guy said we should go and join them as there was safety in number but i applied logic and said since they were not in haste or running in panic then we should still hide, that singular action saved our lives as those people turned out to be cultist brandishing guns. they followed the bush path leading from thr cricket pitch towards where the mosque is and varnished into the night. I can stll remember everything as if it was yesterday and to this day i still thank God for guarding and sparing my life.
Like omogbadebo rightly said OAU is the only school i know of where cultism never got a foothold. you can walk from Angola Hall all the way to spider building at the other end o campus to read at 3AM without fear of being attacked by cultists or their ilk. Great Ife was/is indeed great.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by MabraO: 10:22pm On Jul 10, 2014
This story is touchy
Tho heard something similar in uniben then I was still lil but my uncles were still in d game they even passed on the mantle if leadership from brothers to brothers till the last if them graduated 1998.
Before this he had won a visa lottery to d US and hearing if this incident he left for ib where he stayed a while before leaving
Tho as at den cult related activities weren't much Cos there were no much killings just their usually gyration and unprettion
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Ignatio(m): 10:24pm On Jul 10, 2014
So sad. So so sad. Blood spilled under the moon. May the dead find peace wherever They are.

Quite shocking that the killers went scot free. Well, only God can judge.
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by joyfulheart: 10:28pm On Jul 10, 2014
A very sad story...buh am wondering y pipu are LIKING dese sad experiences...RIP to d fallen.#sad mode
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by simplyaroy(m): 10:30pm On Jul 10, 2014
May the souls of the Departed Rest in Peace. The Afrika guy seemed like a Real Fighter. He could have made a difference if he were alive today. Nigeria surely needs more of his kind. That said...

OAU has never been a stronghold of 'cultism' (and I'd use confraternities or more simply frat hence because its more appropriate), but that after the '99 massacre, there were no frat boys in OAU is very misleading. I was surprised to meet a few NBM boys some years back from OAU who finished in the new Millenia... Brilliant Chaps I must add. Considering that the HIT was allegedly pulled by NBM boys, that's says a lot. They just went underground, nothing more.

I have always been anti-violence no matter who the giver or recipient is. If you would learn one thing and one thing only about Frat boys, know this, THEY HAVE HUGE OVER-INFLATED EGOs. No matter the Frat. That maximum shi-shi must have been very demeaning. And might I add unneccesary. If they weren't actively breaking the law, then they are just regularly students who should be left alone. Might I add that the same thing happened in LASU, Feb 13th 2003. Comrade Tunde Salau, the SUG president, was gunned down allegedly by NBM boys. What did he do too? He was witch hunting them and using the maximum shi shi approach. I have never seen where two wrongs made a right.

The Violence in their ranks is a reflection of the Nigerian society. I'm not the President but I'd rather seek to control than Proscribe this fraternities. Babaginda tried proscription in 89, look at where that got us.

A lady mentioned that Frat boys are sad, forced in joining, regret joing, drug-addicts, violence loving, sociopaths. I have never seen assumptions so far from the truth. Another said she wishes them death. I'm sure your brother or cousin will be the first to die. Its the sad Irony of life.

Never Again!!! May this incident never again happen on our campuses. While remembering the departed 5, let's take the lessons and implement them. Long Live Nigerian Students. Aluta Continua, Victoria Ascerta

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by maoyinlola: 10:40pm On Jul 10, 2014
you could hear the vibration going on at the Awo cafe, the keggite were there, in their full exuberance exuding joy as the new World Chief was to be installed...I could barely open my eyes, after an overnight reading.Exam was at the corner, I was tempted to stay and enjoy the giration.But my eyes failed me, and I hurried to my room, to catch a two hour sleep.That was around 4.25am. It was a bit cold, I wrapped up myself with my duvet, I had hardly slept when the first thunderous noise reverbrated round awo. I hissed, thinking that 'banger' had been introduced in the ritual of the keggites. The noise became resounding and louder, it was then we realised, Awo was under attack. I stayed in room 82, Africa private room shd be the room before mine, 81, but he didnt retired there after that night but the official room of the Sec.Gen. Bodies were thrown all over the place, the fence behind self-help block became suddenly small for even the faint hearted. Bodies suddenly were flying over the fence, not knowing if reptiles were in the bush awaiting them.Boys flew from the 2nd floor, where I was.But I had to dive under the bunk bed, as other students did, laid silently, in the dark...praying that the storm would be over.The storm was over, and the day broke, but five souls went with it...The room mate of the medical boy that was killed were looking at him from the room, but too scared to leave the room to help him, as his killer were right ther on the floorwaiting for who ever would come out

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Walspring: 10:53pm On Jul 10, 2014
Seun: I was there but fast asleep, in Fajuyi hall. I stayed up late that night so I didn't wake up immediately when the shooting started. By the time I woke up, all my room-mates except one had fled. I was like, "what's up" but the other room-mate asked me to switch off the lights. We survived. The next morning, we visited the scene of the attack in Awo hall. The attackers used shotguns. They shot the door lock on one of the rooms and the pellets made a mess on the other side. We saw The bloody mattress on which their main target was shot in the head. I saw a guy from that room, I think, who was still alive but was seriously wounded, bleeding and not getting any help. I heard about a brilliant medical student who was shot for being in the wrong place during the attack. As he bled to death, he cried for a knife so he could use it to operate on himself and stop the bleeding. No one responded because they were either in the bushes or too scared to help. So he died.

R.I.P to the dead but thank God they didnt kill you because there wont be anything like NAIRALAND today

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Nobody: 11:06pm On Jul 10, 2014
I remember seeing one of the victim's head blown off in the newspaper back then...."Babatunde Kazeem" aka KATO......that name sounds very familiar...OMG...i think this fool was my senior back in secondary school.....He was this tall dark mofo with a big head....

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by 3rdeye1(m): 11:09pm On Jul 10, 2014
dejt4u:
professor Wale Omole is his name.. He is now the Pro-chancellor of Lautech
u mean the man is still in academics? Our society has misplaced its morals. Cos if truly he was a god father to cultist, he should have gone with history

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jul 10, 2014
What a touching story, May the souls of Africa and his colleagues rest in perfect peace....#SayNoToCultism
Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by gpublish(m): 11:52pm On Jul 10, 2014
I remember that dark night just like yesterday. I was in my 200 level. I was still up that night in Faj hall reading in the cafeteria around 2am.
I soon retired to my room, pulling off my shoes in room 201 block 2, when one of the excos came running and shouting that "awo" was on attack.

I soon saw him running with a couple of guys and i came out on the corridor and was wondering why the hell Fajuyi boys are always so scared of Awo boys. This thought was still in my head, when i heard a loud boom, the next thing i saw was like a red canon up in the air and the whole place went silent and pitch dark.

For the next few minutes, all i heard from under the bed where i was with my room-mates was coded language from the cultist. They were saying the rat is... using terrible codes i cant describe here to track the location of their victims. Actually one of the excos was traced to my block, but he was fortunate to escape via the kitchenette of his room to the next one before jumping down. It was in this same block that eviano, the final year medical student was gruesomely murdered on his way to the toilet from sleep. I still remember how his blood dripped from the 5th floor to the ground floor the next morning.
May their souls rest in peace
I wont say anything about that our VC, Prof. Wale "Ole" Omole but the rest is silence for him but i wonder what he is doing in Lautech.

It was a terrible night and my prayer is that none of our academic institutions will ever experience such again.

Aluta continua, Victory is certain...Greatest of the greatest Ife, gbosa, gbosa, gbosa

1 Like

Re: July 10 1999 Massacre In Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-ife by donclark(m): 12:01am On Jul 11, 2014
Drniyi4u: The OAU Students Union reiterates its stance against cultism and state sponsored assault and repression. Hence, in respect of the July 10 remembrance of the OAU 5 that were gruesomely murdered on 10th July,1999 by cultists and elements of state oppression, the following are the events slated by the leadership of the Union for the day:
1. Press engagement @ NUJ Correspondence Chapel by 12 noon immediately after the NUJ Congress to receive more press coverage.

2. Candle Light procession and exposition on the July 10 saga by some past union leaders.

Procession moves from Awo to SUB. Awo hall so designated being the scene of the killing .Exposition holds at SUB.

ALUTA CONTINUA...VICTORIA ASCERTA..Whats with that
Awo hall? Na only am una fit do something from?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Use Of 'i Was Like Ok' By Nigerian Students / Old Students Of Ransome Kuti Memorial Lagos Marks 30th Reunion In School Uniform / Students In Viral Shisha Video Suspended: Lagos Orders Their Rehabilitation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.